47 47
quade

DB Cooper

9 minutes ago, Math of Insects said:

Right, but there's a lot of territory between, "That was 50 years ago" and "therefore nothing can be checked." Start with any item from any airplane today. If you don't find the particles, go backward. If you do, stop this silly line of inquiry.

Go swab an antique parachute pack. Or hell, even a current one. This would at least address the goose chase around labs in PA. If you DON'T find a similar profile, keep looking. If you do...bail. 

We all know where those particles are the most likely to have come from. Start at most likely and work backward, not vice versa. 

All that takes time, money and resources.. and even then all the variables can't be controlled.. it would be a massive undertaking even for the FBI..

IMO, it is asking too much of a bunch of amateur sleuths..

We do the best to work within our means..

As for the Ti patent and REMCRU..  it is a stretch to claim exclusivity and we don't even know those particles are an alloy.

7 minutes ago, georger said:

Interesting. So a well known guy everyone knows, conducted the Cooper hijacking. He has  balls .... or is an idiot! 

The hearings were a year after Hahneman's hijacking. He was a nobody just like all the other copycats. I'm not sure precisely sure why this was brought up at the Watergate hearings, but I believe it had something to do with the fact that one of the burglars had some dealings with Honduras. Perhaps the Hahneman hijacking was the only thing this bloviating Congressman knew about Honduras. 

3 minutes ago, olemisscub said:

The hearings were a year after Hahneman's hijacking. He was a nobody just like all the other copycats. I'm not sure precisely sure why this was brought up at the Watergate hearings, but I believe it had something to do with the fact that one of the burglars had some dealings with Honduras. Perhaps the Hahneman hijacking was the only thing this bloviating Congressman knew about Honduras. 

So the FBI did not check Hahneman. Nobody thought of him. His prints were not on file. His familial dna is not in the system today? . . . . .  

20 hours ago, olemisscub said:

I must have missed it. That's the problem with mega-threads like this one and the ones over on the other site. Miss a month and you're 50 pages behind. 

That's not really been the case on Shutter's site lately. Miss a month and you only miss a handful of posts. I hope it picks back up. 

GO CHIEFS (Can never pull for the Eagles)!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, georger said:

So the FBI did not check Hahneman. Nobody thought of him. His prints were not on file. His familial dna is not in the system today? . . . . .  

He’s in the 302’s that have been released. Not much but he’s there. His photos were apparently exhibited to witnesses.

15 minutes ago, olemisscub said:

Copycat Richard LaPoint's bomb was apparently real. 

The_Eagle_1972_01_21_Page_4.jpg

Which begs the question..

Where did Cooper get that knowledge.. (radio setting off the detonators) and the confidence to make a bomb.

What is LaPoint's background re: explosives (former paratrooper)

You have to have some explosives experience to make a bomb and have the confidence to carry it on a plane even if only using detonators..

Edited by FLYJACK

2 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

Where did Cooper get that knowledge.. (radio setting off the detonators) and the confidence to make a bomb.

You have to have some explosives experience to make a bomb and have the confidence to carry it on a plane even if only using detonators..

LaPoint was a door gunner in Vietnam. I'm not sure where the media got that he was a paratrooper from, but that was repeated in the papers a bunch at the time. There's no evidence he had jumped before during his civilian or military life. 

Also, investigated him further just now and I'm not sure this is something that needed to be "defused". Sounds like he just had a bunch of flares. 

lapoint.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

If the bomb was actually radio controlled (which it doesn’t seem to be) then those would be skills possibly only picked up in the military, in a specialized field. Possibly picked up in the civilian world, but less likely. If he was dealing with just dynamite and an electrical blasting cap, then those are still skills, but could be picked up in the military, mining, blasting for construction/roads, etc. He could very well have known explosives, but still made a fake bomb or just a dynamite bomb with regular electric detonator. At that point he just has to pretend it is more high tech than it is. Cooper comes across as a bit of a story teller/embellisher. Carr said “know it all.”  Live wires inside a briefcase makes for good drama, but a simple switch would have been safer for him, albeit less visually dramatic. 

51 minutes ago, CooperNWO305 said:

If the bomb was actually radio controlled (which it doesn’t seem to be) then those would be skills possibly only picked up in the military, in a specialized field. Possibly picked up in the civilian world, but less likely. If he was dealing with just dynamite and an electrical blasting cap, then those are still skills, but could be picked up in the military, mining, blasting for construction/roads, etc. He could very well have known explosives, but still made a fake bomb or just a dynamite bomb with regular electric detonator. At that point he just has to pretend it is more high tech than it is. Cooper comes across as a bit of a story teller/embellisher. Carr said “know it all.”  Live wires inside a briefcase makes for good drama, but a simple switch would have been safer for him, albeit less visually dramatic. 

Right, it wasn't radio controlled,,

The wire attached to an electronic detonator creates an "antenna" which can pick up nearby radio signals which may trigger it..

Cooper voiced some concern over that..  which suggests two things,, 

First, he had that somewhat specialized knowledge..

and they were probably real electronic detonators.

Cooper didn't say don't use the radio,, he said use as little as possible..

He knew there was a risk there...

1759250923_ScreenShot2023-02-13at8_21_48AM.png.761072568fd501990fb7dd91a0a4f350.png

Edited by FLYJACK

Posted about him a few weeks ago but the way that Cooper copycat Melvin Fisher was described by the flight crew is remarkably similar to Cooper, yet Fisher was an unemployed house painter. A total loser essentially. Makes me wonder if we inflate the few statements that we have about Cooper and perhaps turn him into something he was not.

From the UPI article covering his court appearance:

"The captain and two stewardesses, in opening day testimony, said Fisher appeared rational, coherent and knew a lot about airplanes."

"Capt. Charles Dodds said it became apparent that Fisher, 49, 'knew a little more than the average person knew' about flying when he told Dodds it would be all right to take off with a tailwind if the wind was less than 10 knots. 'Also', Dodds said, 'he knew about our dual communication system.' "

"Dodds said at one point, Fisher told him an exact pattern to fly and at what altitude, and insisted that he lower the rear stairwell and lower the flaps to slow the airplane."

"Dodds said Fisher appeared 'very, very reasonable.' "

"Dodds said he received a note from Fisher which said '$550,000 in circulated $100 bills and a parachute.' "

"Stewardess Susan Sigmier...testified that Fisher appeared 'calm'. 'I'm sure he was nervous, but he didn't act real nervous and was real courteous,' she said."

Interestingly, in the Fisher case, he brought a briefcase on board that had a fake bomb that he showed to the crew and also had walkie-talkies with him. He had one of them taken to the pilot, which is how they communicated.  

Ulis had the Penny's tie dating wrong for years,, because he stole it from my old post's he didn't really understand it.. I didn't reveal everything. He twisted it to fit his Sheridan narrative.

He claimed 1962/63 to fit Sheridan at Boeing.. it was BS.. when I called him on it he just ignored me..

Recently, he finally acknowledged the correct date ignoring he was wrong for the last 6 years, but claims he figured it out.. I had always pointed out that Ulis was wrong and the earliest the tie was sold was early 1964..

What Ulis didn't know then was that the Penny's logo was first changed November 24, 1963.. that started with store signage and marketing. The logo on Cooper's tie never existed before November 24, 1963 and didn't show up on products until early 1964.. There is also another clue on the tie..

So, the logo dates the tie to earliest about Spring 1964..

the patents date the tie to late 1964 and sold probably by Spring 1965 depending on inventory turnover.

We can date the tie from about Spring 1964 to about Spring 1965.

Penny's ad on top Nov 20,1963 with old logo.

Penny's ad on bottom Nov 27, 1963 with new logo.

(There is other documentation for the logo change date)

Pennyslogochangeov241971.jpg.6b4a78bf5ed3ba3059a69fd9e0eeb289.jpg

Edited by FLYJACK

28 minutes ago, olemisscub said:

Posted about him a few weeks ago but the way that Cooper copycat Melvin Fisher was described by the flight crew is remarkably similar to Cooper, yet Fisher was an unemployed house painter. A total loser essentially. Makes me wonder if we inflate the few statements that we have about Cooper and perhaps turn him into something he was not.

From the UPI article covering his court appearance:

"The captain and two stewardesses, in opening day testimony, said Fisher appeared rational, coherent and knew a lot about airplanes."

"Capt. Charles Dodds said it became apparent that Fisher, 49, 'knew a little more than the average person knew' about flying when he told Dodds it would be all right to take off with a tailwind if the wind was less than 10 knots. 'Also', Dodds said, 'he knew about our dual communication system.' "

"Dodds said at one point, Fisher told him an exact pattern to fly and at what altitude, and insisted that he lower the rear stairwell and lower the flaps to slow the airplane."

"Dodds said Fisher appeared 'very, very reasonable.' "

"Dodds said he received a note from Fisher which said '$550,000 in circulated $100 bills and a parachute.' "

"Stewardess Susan Sigmier...testified that Fisher appeared 'calm'. 'I'm sure he was nervous, but he didn't act real nervous and was real courteous,' she said."

Interestingly, in the Fisher case, he brought a briefcase on board that had a fake bomb that he showed to the crew and also had walkie-talkies with him. He had one of them taken to the pilot, which is how they communicated.  

That is an issue with observational evidence.. vs facts..

You can always raise doubt with observational evidence but then you have nothing left..

Blevins claims Cooper wasn't Latin/Swarthy but he just had a tan..

Edwards claims Cooper was White not Latino...

Observational evidence is valid, it just needs to have context.

This case is dominated by observational evidence.

Even the FBI admitted in 1976 they didn't have the evidence for a prosecution without Cooper's co-operation..

13 hours ago, ParrotheadVol said:

I noticed that as well, although Hunt is one of the more ridiculous "suspects". 

I agree.  Hunt was a middle manager.  Hunt never got his hands dirty on any operation (except maybe during WWII).  Always the messenger between the white-shoe decision makers and the CIA "contractors" who actually carried out the task at-hand....part of his lifelong frustration was being stuck outside of the inner circle.    I can't imagine he'd have felt comfortable pulling off the Cooper hijack, he just didn't have the experience.  That said, he would have known EXACTLY who to recruit to get the job done.