47 47
quade

DB Cooper

7 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

The "Dan Cooper" comics were published for Latin America in Spanish by a Mexican publisher. I haven't found all of the editions they published but some were published in 1966/67.

Clearly, Cooper was described as Latin/Mexican swarthy etc..  and demanded to fly to Mexico... if there is a comic connection it would be more likely to be to this version.

One of the writers of Dan Cooper had an earlier aviation comic named Buck Danny. Interesting. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_Danny

7 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

The "Dan Cooper" comics were published for Latin America in Spanish by a Mexican publisher. I haven't found all of the editions they published but some were published in 1966/67.

Clearly, Cooper was described as Latin/Mexican swarthy etc..  and demanded to fly to Mexico... if there is a comic connection it would be more likely to be to this version.

One of the writers of Dan Cooper had an earlier aviation comic named Buck Danny. Interesting. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_Danny

(edited)

The "Dan Cooper comic" is interesting but not definitive.. similar to the red plastic (electrical) tape used for the bomb. Red tape was phasing tape which had a very unique purpose for electricians, coloured tape denotes a specific phase, red is "low voltage, phase b". Most readily available tape is black and obtaining and using red would be unique...  That plus the claim that the bomb had an "electrical fuse" and the tie particles matching an electronics environment strongly suggests Cooper was in the electronics field. 

COL-0566_ElectricalTapes_IG_012418-e1517860625435.jpg.17c7f605385d745948515ce5c1a72407.jpg

164741373_ScreenShot2022-04-16at8_24_03AM.png.8edc4ae827275c7578bcdbb85fa9a0ba.png

Edited by FLYJACK

So, uh... please forgive me for using this thread for this, but I don't know where else to ask it... but how is one supposed to join the D. B. Cooper Mystery Group on Facebook? I made an account and have tried joining several times over the past few days to no avail. It seems like my request is expiring for some reason, or I am just being flat-out rejected (which I sure hope isn't true).

I don't mean to sound too whiny here, lol... it's just frustrating being locked out of what seems like a very active community for discussion of the case! If anyone can lend a hand, just hit me up and it would be very much appreciated.

5 hours ago, Coopericane said:

So, uh... please forgive me for using this thread for this, but I don't know where else to ask it... but how is one supposed to join the D. B. Cooper Mystery Group on Facebook? I made an account and have tried joining several times over the past few days to no avail. It seems like my request is expiring for some reason, or I am just being flat-out rejected (which I sure hope isn't true).

I don't mean to sound too whiny here, lol... it's just frustrating being locked out of what seems like a very active community for discussion of the case! If anyone can lend a hand, just hit me up and it would be very much appreciated.

What’s the name on FB… I’ll get you in. 

• Like 1

(edited)

Dr. Edwards creates a straw-man.. and completely misreads the evidence.

https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/22448642-d-b-cooper-ethnicity

Latin and White/Caucasian were not distinguished as distinct races/ethnic categories 50 years ago like today they might be. Latin Americans were considered White/Caucasian. Huge miss. The terms then were not exclusionary and I can prove it with exclusive FBI docs.

FBI description: Race: White. Complexion: Olive. Latin appearance.

Latin Americans were considered White/Caucasians.. 

All the initial descriptions of characteristics and later the sketch interviews taken in totality clearly indicates Cooper was of "Latin appearance" just as the FBI concluded. Using White/Caucasian to negate "Latin" is a complete misread.

Many witnesses who described Cooper as White/Caucasian but didn't use the word Latin also described Latin characteristics which is why the FBI created the overall "Latin appearance" description.. dark eyes, dark hair, curly, wavy marceled hair, olive/swarthy complexion. The sketch revision with witnesses by the FBI states it was to show the swarthy complexion

Trust Me Dr. Edwards,, you've got it wrong. Fifty years ago Latin Americans were considered White/Caucasian.

Sketch B after witness input..

467592696_ScreenShot2022-04-18at6_32_32PM.png.1ca2e8f8566006faf27f6289c03416e1.png

Edited by FLYJACK

13 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

Dr. Edwards creates a straw-man.. and completely misreads the evidence.

Latin and White/Caucasian were not distinguished as distinct races/ethnic categories 50 years ago like today they might be. Latin Americans were considered White/Caucasian. Huge miss. The terms then were not exclusionary and I can prove it with exclusive FBI docs.

FBI description: Race: White. Complexion: Olive. Latin appearance.

Latin Americans were considered White/Caucasians.. 

All the initial descriptions of characteristics and later the sketch interviews taken in totality clearly indicates Cooper was of "Latin appearance" just as the FBI concluded. Using White/Caucasian to negate "Latin" is a complete misread.

Many witnesses who described Cooper as White/Caucasian but didn't use the word Latin also described Latin characteristics which is why the FBI created the overall "Latin appearance" description.. dark eyes, dark hair, curly, wavy marceled hair, olive/swarthy complexion. The sketch revision with witnesses by the FBI states it was to show the swarthy complexion

Trust Me Dr. Edwards,, you've got it wrong. Fifty years ago Latin Americans were considered White/Caucasian.

Sketch B after witness input..

467592696_ScreenShot2022-04-18at6_32_32PM.png.1ca2e8f8566006faf27f6289c03416e1.png

I agree that using the 302's description of race as white does not rule out someone of Hispanic descent.  I worked in market research for a few years and race/ethnicity always came up and was confusing even among experts in surveys.   The technical aspects of the census or dictionary versions of race/ethnicity don't always align with how people use the terms in everyday conversation.  Many people would say Hispanic is a race, even some Hispanics.  Many would say their race is Caucasian, when that is technically not a race anymore (I think).

The most recent batch of 302's has a number of suspect profiles.  For race there were mainly white, but Caucasian was listed twice (not a race).  There was no entry a few times, and one American Indian.

Attached are the questions in the 1970 census regarding race and origin.

This is where recordings of these conversations would have been useful.  Realistically if race is listed as white then we can rule out a lot of races (Japanese, Chinese, Black), but not anyone of Hispanic descent or American Indian.  It's best to look at the actual descriptions like you've mentioned Flyjack.  I'd be more interested in asking "What descent do you think the person is?" or "What country of origin do you think the suspect is from or his ancestors?"  I interpret the information as Cooper being American, probably native born, with relatives from Eastern/Southern Europe, which could include Spain, and therefore by definition any of the Spanish/Portuguese colonies (Mexico, Brazil, etc).  Given the small population numbers of American Indians, I would guess he was not American Indian, but it could be possible.

Also, if we figure Cooper was born in the 1920s, then it means his parents were born in the late 1890s or 1900's.  The US is a melting pot now and many of us can trace ancestors back to many different countries and parts of the world.  That was not as much the case if you were born in the 1920s.  There would be a good chance that both your parents were descended from one part of the world, or even from the same country.  Just look at the ethnicity pockets in US cities in the 1900's.  There were Irish sections. Italian, Jewish, Hungarian, German, etc. 

In my mind, the olive/swarthy etc. clearly rules out Rackstraw, McCoy, Recca, Peterson, and probably some of the other candidates.  

• Like 1

50+ years ago "Latin" was White/Caucasian... 

Background..

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2017/08/03/541142339/heres-why-the-census-started-counting-latinos-and-how-that-could-change-in-2020

"in the 1970s, Latino advocacy groups successfully lobbied the federal government to create a separate category for counting Hispanics and Latinos. Before then the government had classified those people simply as white."

But it is clear the descriptions included swarthy and olive complexion.. Alice and Lysne said olive.

Most of the prominent suspects do not have Cooper's olive/swarthy/Latin complexion...

136589952_ScreenShot2022-04-19at9_20_54AM.png.acfd89dbc7d894172e83336c33e12cf6.png

(edited)

Even today, I don't think a description of "White" would necessarily eliminate someone that is Mexican. Below is a boxer named Canelo Alverez (whom I despise). He is probably the most popular boxer in the world currently. Most would describe him a being white. He is Mexican.

Saúl_Álvarez.png

Edited by ParrotheadVol

On 4/19/2022 at 7:43 PM, ParrotheadVol said:

Even today, I don't think a description of "White" would necessarily eliminate someone that is Mexican. Below is a boxer named Canelo Alverez (whom I despise). He is probably the most popular boxer in the world currently. Most would describe him a being white. He is Mexican.

Saúl_Álvarez.png

Tell all . . . what has this to do with the DB Cooper case? !

(edited)
9 hours ago, dudeman17 said:

ummm...

Just my guess.

Hmmmmmmm. Mexican means what? Hispanic? Latino-Hispanic? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4716704/          I mean poster's use of Mexican is almost meaningless. Olive skinned humanoids includes what? Let's see: Cuban, Dominican, Puerto Rican, Mexican, and Central and South American ........ tribal groups ......  where does it stop!? Like stars in the sky. Was Cooper a OBAFGKM type or a variable C type? ...... Maybe Cooper was an Olive Dwarf .. What Haplotype does DBC belong to? White skinned Hispanics doesnt seem to mean much so why post it?

Edited by georger

18 hours ago, georger said:

Hmmmmmmm. Mexican means what? Hispanic? Latino-Hispanic? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4716704/          I mean poster's use of Mexican is almost meaningless. Olive skinned humanoids includes what? Let's see: Cuban, Dominican, Puerto Rican, Mexican, and Central and South American ........ tribal groups ......  where does it stop!? Like stars in the sky. Was Cooper a OBAFGKM type or a variable C type? ...... Maybe Cooper was an Olive Dwarf .. What Haplotype does DBC belong to? White skinned Hispanics doesnt seem to mean much so why post it?

You forgot to mention Italians.  I know some who claim to have olive complexations.

• Like 1

(edited)
5 hours ago, Robert99 said:

You forgot to mention Italians.  I know some who claim to have olive complexations.

Yeah, I've spent a little time looking into Italian-Americans from back then, and they can have a pretty "swarthy" or "olive" appearing complexion. It could be an interesting angle to look into further.

Edited by Coopericane

(edited)

Blevins is backing Edwards on his Cooper was "white" error..

because Latin/olive eliminates Christiansen..

Both are wrong, if they did their research they'd find that "Latin" was White/Caucasian back then.. there wasn't the distinction like today.

Nobody ever said Cooper had a tan. Witnesses said dark, olive, latin appearance and white/caucasian. 

I have FBI docs nobody else has, both of you are wrong.

Cooper had an olive/swarthy complexion and Latin appearance.. if your suspect doesn't have that, he isn't Cooper.

Edited by FLYJACK

8 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

Blevins is backing Edwards on his Cooper was "white" error..

because Latin/olive eliminates Christiansen..

Both are wrong, if they did their research they'd find that "Latin" was White/Caucasian back then.. there wasn't the distinction like today.

Nobody ever said Cooper had a tan. Witnesses said dark, olive, latin appearance and white/caucasian. 

I have FBI docs nobody else has, both of you are wrong.

Cooper had an olive/swarthy complexion and Latin appearance.. if your suspect doesn't have that, he isn't Cooper.

Where is Blevins saying this? Even if Kenny looked olive, he’s ruled out for so many other reasons. 

(edited)
39 minutes ago, CooperNWO305 said:

Where is Blevins saying this? Even if Kenny looked olive, he’s ruled out for so many other reasons. 

At the link on Dr Edwards blog..

Blevins thinks Cooper was a white guy with a tan. Typical nonsense.

White, Olive/Latin is generally Mediterranean or Latin American..

Not surprised that Blevins covers for Kenny but Dr Edwards missed this as well.

Dr Edwards posted a new TBAR Sat image showing the dredge spoils... but the money find spot was just off the top the image.

https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/22463709-d-b-cooper-foia-part-4---tena-bar

Edited by FLYJACK

19 minutes ago, FLYJACK said:

At the link on Dr Edwards blog..

Blevins thinks Cooper was a white guy with a tan. Typical nonsense.

White, Olive/Latin is generally Mediterranean or Latin American..

Not surprised that Blevins covers for Kenny but Dr Edwards missed this as well.

Dr Edwards posted a new TBAR Sat image showing the dredge spoils... but the money find spot was just off the top the image.

https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/22463709-d-b-cooper-foia-part-4---tena-bar

There is no way Kenny is DB. But if Blevins could show that he had Latin or Mediterranean or southern/Eastern European heritage it might be better than just saying he had a tan that day. 

1 hour ago, CooperNWO305 said:

There is no way Kenny is DB. But if Blevins could show that he had Latin or Mediterranean or southern/Eastern European heritage it might be better than just saying he had a tan that day. 

Based off what I found on Ancestry with a quick search, Kenny has Scandinavian (Denmark) roots and what looks like English and French. Not to say there is no Southern Europe in there, but I don’t see it. Granted that there are exceptions to every rule, but swarthy and olive are not usually terms associated with Denmark or England or France (maybe the south of France).  

This is a situation where it would have been good to have follow on questions. Witness A says he’s swarthy. So show some pics of people and have them identify what swarthy is. Same for olive. Is Dean Martin swarthy? Al Capone? Richard Nixon? What is olive? Is Fidel Castro olive or swarthy? 

Regardless of all of this, we have a composite B that is pretty detailed and shows a white man with medium skin maybe dark. Not pale. And contrary to many comments on other boards, not every American male in 1971 looked like that. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CooperNWO305 said:

Based off what I found on Ancestry with a quick search, Kenny has Scandinavian (Denmark) roots and what looks like English and French. Not to say there is no Southern Europe in there, but I don’t see it. Granted that there are exceptions to every rule, but swarthy and olive are not usually terms associated with Denmark or England or France (maybe the south of France).  

This is a situation where it would have been good to have follow on questions. Witness A says he’s swarthy. So show some pics of people and have them identify what swarthy is. Same for olive. Is Dean Martin swarthy? Al Capone? Richard Nixon? What is olive? Is Fidel Castro olive or swarthy? 

Regardless of all of this, we have a composite B that is pretty detailed and shows a white man with medium skin maybe dark. Not pale. And contrary to many comments on other boards, not every American male in 1971 looked like that. 

I have obtained more witness images of Cooper...

and they definitely show "Latin American" in complexion and features.

People who dismiss this description are just wrong.

Some are justifying a suspect others just have a misread of the evidence.

but the false premise that White/Caucasian meant not "Latin"...  in 1971 leads to the wrong conclusion.

1 hour ago, FLYJACK said:

I have obtained more witness images of Cooper...

and they definitely show "Latin American" in complexion and features.

People who dismiss this description are just wrong.

Some are justifying a suspect others just have a misread of the evidence.

but the false premise that White/Caucasian meant not "Latin"...  in 1971 leads to the wrong conclusion.

More witness images?

(edited)
5 hours ago, Coopericane said:

Dr. Edwards has generously created & shared a keyword-searchable conversion of the FBI files! https://twitter.com/DrBobEdwards1/status/1519979114278670341

Link goes to Twitter. Links there go to ads and paranormal crap . . . so far worthless.

Is there a link that works ... AS ADVERTIZED?

Edited by georger