47 47
quade

DB Cooper

(edited)
2 hours ago, CooperNWO305 said:

I need to find some time to look through these. Anything good? I see a lot of entries where people think they spotted DB Cooper. That stuff just gums up everyone’s research. 

Yes, something big..  I can't explain it here at this time.

Edited by FLYJACK

56 minutes ago, CooperNWO305 said:

I need to find some time to look through these. Anything good? I see a lot of entries where people think they spotted DB Cooper. That stuff just gums up everyone’s research. 

I don't have as keen of an eye of some of the others here, but I noticed there was a lot about the sketches. Of course it's a little hard to connect the dots of who is talking about who, because of the redactions - though the superiority of the "B" sketch over the original is stressed over and over again.

One witness (one of the flight attendants, probably?) even says this:

interesting.PNG.5c75afad0a2567b4d768fa4f9f6cac2a.PNG

Does anyone in this forum live in or near Minneapolis? The Minnesota Historical Society library has 55.75 cubic feet of corporate records of Northwest Airlines,  including one box containing some material relating to Flight 305. If anyone is able to visit the library, I can provide the name and contact details of the research librarian.

NORTHWEST_AIRLINES__INC.__Finding_Aids___MNHS.ORG.pdf

Be careful reading the FBI docs about sketch B..

Around Sept '72 the sketch was shown to witnesses.

Their criticisms were incorporated into a final sketch B released later.

Most of the witness criticisms were incorporated into the final sketch.

Developing sketch B was a process.. check the dates on the docs.

13 hours ago, DFS346 said:

Does anyone in this forum live in or near Minneapolis? The Minnesota Historical Society library has 55.75 cubic feet of corporate records of Northwest Airlines,  including one box containing some material relating to Flight 305. If anyone is able to visit the library, I can provide the name and contact details of the research librarian.

NORTHWEST_AIRLINES__INC.__Finding_Aids___MNHS.ORG.pdf 320.04 kB · 2 downloads

Andrade reportedly lives in Minnesota.  His contact information is on the other blog (thedbcooperforum).

(edited)
New vid and Discussion with Drew Beason and Nicky B..

Good discussion..  but two things that keep getting messed up.

Dating of the tie… Eric messed this up and it keeps getting repeated. I was the one who first dated the tie and posted it, Eric took that and misrepresented it to fit Sheridan. The FBI also messed it up, they asked a Penny’s store manager who said they hadn’t sold them for a year and a half. The FBI did NOT analyze the labels, the tie labels changed over time. The patents on the tie have it manufactured before 1965, after that the patents changed even though the tie looked the same.. The patent gives us the upper bound, the lower bound is about Spring 1964 based on other parts of the labels. To make the timeframe fit his Sheridan narrative Ulis pushed the lower bound to 62/63. This is false. The tie was purchased between about Spring 1964 and Spring 1965 depending on inventory turnover..

Cooper demanding “American” currency and being Canadian. This is a funny one because I agree with the conclusion that he is not Canadian but the argument is wrong. The pilots said “American” currency.. Rataczak later said publicly Cooper asked for “American currency” and in the FBI files Tina said Cooper reiterated his demands to her saying “US currency”.. So, it is extremely strong evidence that Cooper qualified the currency with “American/US”.. Otherwise, Tina and the pilots had to add it. What does it mean.. it means that Cooper has experience with non US currency and likely recently. It does not mean he is Canadian, I don’t believe he is Canadian. It is extremely unlikely somebody who lived in the US their entire life having no experience with other currencies would qualify the currency with “American/US”. Imagine a bank robber asking for American/US currency,,, it doesn't make sense. Cooper could have been a foreigner or an American with a strong international influence.. Cooper was an international worker/traveller with recent experience or future expectation of a non US currency environment..

Finding D.B. Cooper with guest D.B. Cooper Researcher Nicholas Broughton aka “Nicky B.”

First, I have the Edwards book and have read most of it.. it is an exceptional book in detail and images. A must have for Cooper sleuths.

Edwards tries not to speculate and processes the evidence in a logical/mathematical means. The limitation of that is that you need to have ALL the information to process. A few things where my analysis differs and that is probably due to the information available.

The plane was not on autopilot.. Rataczak said he was hand flying the plane joking about the crooked path and even stated he could feel Cooper on the stairs. The FBI files do infer that the plane was on autopilot.

Cooper’s LZ was not south of about Battleground/Brush Prairie. Rataczak stated that he believed Cooper jumped around the Lewis R. He also stated Cooper was gone before Portland.. he also stated that when Cooper jumped he was on the radio and stated mark your shrimp boats (radar). He also stated that Cooper jumped between his last comm with Cooper at 8:05 and his (later) call to Soderlind while in the suburbs of Portland. He also stated that the FBI would have the times for those comms. We don’t have that information and when they created the jump zone they had it. Edwards analysis does not include all the info that the FBI/Soderlind had 50 years ago.

The stairs never locked down.. the green light never came on. The red light comes on when the lever is moved from the up detent then a button is pressed and the lever is pushed. Cooper probably didn't push the button and the lever didn't activate the stairs. At some point, he returned the lever to up then tried again.

In the video interview Edwards kept stressing the FBI LZ near Ariel was wrong and the search was in the wrong area.. This isn’t exactly true. The FBI estimated a preliminary LZ right away which was later expanded after a more thorough data analysis. The FBI LZ went all the way down to Brush Prairie and was searched. Claiming the FBI searched the wrong area using Ariel as the example is misleading, that was not their only search area.

My analysis, 99% Cooper jumped between about the Lewis R and Battleground/Brush Prairie just as the FBI/Soderlind calculated. No way he jumps in or next to the Columbia River. Rataczak had already called Soderlind by then.

The pressure bump was a separate event. A distinction without a difference.. Rataczak explained it, the pressure gauge was oscillating and when the oscillation gets extreme a pressure bump is felt. The pressure bump was just the last big oscillation. You get a brief movement in the needle to an extreme which is felt physically and later described as a bump. The event occurs in seconds not many minutes.

Also, in the video Edwards makes what I think is a gross error. He downplays Cooper’s Latin description. First, this is a misread of the witness accounts.. overall most said he had Latin/Mexican/American Indian features/characteristics and swarthy/olive complexion. Even the FBI concluded that. But Edwards dismisses it because Cooper was also described as white/Caucasian.. this is a big error because back in 1971 there was no Latino category, that came a few years after for the census. Latin people were called white and Caucasian back then, now they would categorized as Latino. Back then Latin Americans were described as white and Caucasian. I also have witness evidence that nobody else has.

Edwards claims Cooper was not in WW2... not sure why, his estimated age makes it entirely possible.

Agree..

The wind was an estimate,, the wind was shifting around at that time.

The "FBI” flightpath was correct, there is no evidence to support the Western flightpath. All evidence supports the "FBI" path.. (within the 1 mile error)

The placard did not come from inside NORJAK, we proved this with the interior image and the FBI stated it came from the outside of the plane and could have come from any passing 727.

Cooper was in Vietnam.

D. B. Cooper and Flight 305: Reexamining the Hijacking and Disappearance W Dr. Robert H. Edwards

Edited by FLYJACK
  • Like 2

I was thinking that if Cooper is ever identified, that we will all still be speculating about the how’s and why’s. In terms of the money comments, I wonder if Cooper was trying to sound cool or if he thought by being so close to Canada that they might give him Canadian dollars, or maybe he thought they would give him a mix of dollars and other country’s currency like Mexico or Cuba or possibly that the bank might not even have $200k in only US dollars.  Other scenario could be that the airports had many different currencies at the exchange booths for international travelers.  Lots of possibilities.  To say negotiable  (if he said that for sure) indicates that he thought he might not get just American dollars. The crew notes indicate “negotiable.”  

34375D8C-4575-40E1-8F8F-BEF79BF5BDD0.jpeg

(edited)
4 hours ago, CooperNWO305 said:

I was thinking that if Cooper is ever identified, that we will all still be speculating about the how’s and why’s. In terms of the money comments, I wonder if Cooper was trying to sound cool or if he thought by being so close to Canada that they might give him Canadian dollars, or maybe he thought they would give him a mix of dollars and other country’s currency like Mexico or Cuba or possibly that the bank might not even have $200k in only US dollars.  Other scenario could be that the airports had many different currencies at the exchange booths for international travelers.  Lots of possibilities.  To say negotiable  (if he said that for sure) indicates that he thought he might not get just American dollars. The crew notes indicate “negotiable.”  

34375D8C-4575-40E1-8F8F-BEF79BF5BDD0.jpeg

Is there such a thing as 'non-negotiable' currency ? Damned if Ive ever seen any no matter the country! I found a fist full of currency from Ghana once in Iowa and traded it in - it was NEGOTIABLE.  All currency is negotiable. This sounds  like overworked pilot speak .... like 'he wants a red Bible with a red cover, not black' ! 'I want shoes with soles .... I want my ice cream cold .... I want a car with wheels.... I want my currency to be negotiable, but only at the First National Dime Store in Beacon Ioway! ..................... and so on. Shall we speculate about the first lines of Genesis for literacy?      ....  obviously there is something missing by somebody which may not involve Cooper at all!. That much is guaranteed and negotiable at any truth parlor!

negotiable currency and negotiable American currency are redundant if spoken as Midwestern English (syntax-grammar). Either Cooper is a non English speaker who is forming thoughts in some other language or he is an idiot or nervous, or none of this has anything to do with Mr. Cooper.  

Edited by georger

(edited)
16 hours ago, CooperNWO305 said:

Circulated sounds a lot more realistic. 

Wants circulated currency

he intends to spend the money without arousing suspicion. Its a concern forgers have when then manufacture their money ... so they process their bills to look used. Cooper is an active socially conscious person who has traveled in the world ... he may intend to travel ... he's going to be leaving the area!

Edited by georger

On 4/11/2022 at 10:45 AM, FLYJACK said:

Cooper demanding “American” currency and being Canadian. This is a funny one because I agree with the conclusion that he is not Canadian but the argument is wrong. The pilots said “American” currency.. Rataczak later said publicly Cooper asked for “American currency” and in the FBI files Tina said Cooper reiterated his demands to her saying “US currency”.. So, it is extremely strong evidence that Cooper qualified the currency with “American/US”.. 

Any possibility that the bank in which Cooper's money came from would have had any other currencies set aside as well?

7 hours ago, ParrotheadVol said:

Any possibility that the bank in which Cooper's money came from would have had any other currencies set aside as well?

I imagine they did. I remember getting foreign currency in Boston before going go Europe and that was in the 90s and 2000’s. This was before ATMs were prevalent. The 70s were even harder to use credit cards and there weren’t ATMs. A city like Seattle that was an international hub and close to Canada must have had foreign currency. And the airport too. All those inbound flights from Asia and Canada would have had passengers needing to exchange money and leaving their foreign currency at the American bank. Still seems odd though. I would think if you asked for $200k in Seattle that you would get it in American dollars. I’d be worried that they would give me brand new crisp bills never put in circulation and therefore easier to trace. Maybe he figured the short timeframe would not give them a chance to register the serial numbers. 

(edited)
8 hours ago, ParrotheadVol said:

No. Cooper's money was taken from an extortion fund set aside for emergencies, which only consisted of US Currency. No pesos, only American currency. Was covered years ago .............................................  banks do stockpile different currencies (optional) depending on demand but that had nothing to do with the fund Cooper's ransom was paid from ...  

Edited by georger
  • Like 1

The "Dan Cooper" comics were published for Latin America in Spanish by a Mexican publisher. I haven't found all of the editions they published but some were published in 1966/67.

Clearly, Cooper was described as Latin/Mexican swarthy etc..  and demanded to fly to Mexico... if there is a comic connection it would be more likely to be to this version.

• Like 1