47 47
quade

DB Cooper

This is the smoking gun... this should end the Columbia River landing speculation.

Rataczak telephoned Soderlind 5 to 10 min after last contact at 8:05..

The "bump" aka oscillation occurred between 8:05 and the call to Soderlind 5 to 10 minutes later..

Rataczak has stated elsewhere that he thought Cooper jumped around Merwin and was gone before Portland.

Here he gives a range, the end point is the suburbs of Portland, but the range stated is not where he thinks the "bump" occurred, he is referring to the call to Soderlind. Otherwise, he would not have given a range. The call to Soderlind was in the suburbs of Portland. Obviously the "bump" was some time before that. There is no way the "bump" was over/near the Columbia or beyond Portland. If the "bump" was Cooper jumping he must have jumped roughly between Merwin and Battleground exactly where the FBI/Soderlind analysis indicated.. they had the call log.

The only argument left is to claim the "bump" was not Cooper leaving the plane.. I don't see any evidence to support that.

rstcall.jpg.ebed6512acc098875a6dc16813bb4af7.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

This is the smoking gun... this should end the Columbia River landing speculation.

Rataczak telephoned Soderlind 5 to 10 min after last contact at 8:05..

The "bump" aka oscillation occurred between 8:05 and the call to Soderlind 5 to 10 minutes later..

Rataczak has stated elsewhere that he thought Cooper jumped around Merwin and was gone before Portland.

Here he gives a range, the end point is the suburbs of Portland, but the range stated is not where he thinks the "bump" occurred, he is referring to the call to Soderlind. Otherwise, he would not have given a range. The call to Soderlind was in the suburbs of Portland. Obviously the "bump" was some time before that. There is no way the "bump" was over/near the Columbia or beyond Portland. If the "bump" was Cooper jumping he must have jumped roughly between Merwin and Battleground exactly where the FBI/Soderlind analysis indicated.. they had the call log.

The only argument left is to claim the "bump" was not Cooper leaving the plane.. I don't see any evidence to support that.

rstcall.jpg.ebed6512acc098875a6dc16813bb4af7.jpg

Great post Fly. People get all caught up on the exact time of the pressure bump. A couple of us see it like you do Flyjack. The time would be nice, but we have two major pieces of information to make a decision. 1. The pressure bump was the jump. 2. This happened before Portland, therefore he could not have landed in the river. 

For the naysayers I’d like to ask. 1. Do you believe the pressure bump was the jump? If so, then where was the plane? If not, then ok, he could have jumped anywhere then. 

I find that those who think he died ignore this info. 

The Tina Bar money 3% of the total $200,000 adds some mystery, but it does not mean he landed in the water. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CooperNWO305 said:

Great post Fly. People get all caught up on the exact time of the pressure bump. A couple of us see it like you do Flyjack. The time would be nice, but we have two major pieces of information to make a decision. 1. The pressure bump was the jump. 2. This happened before Portland, therefore he could not have landed in the river. 

For the naysayers I’d like to ask. 1. Do you believe the pressure bump was the jump? If so, then where was the plane? If not, then ok, he could have jumped anywhere then. 

I find that those who think he died ignore this info. 

The Tina Bar money 3% of the total $200,000 adds some mystery, but it does not mean he landed in the water. 

As has been pointed out numerous times elsewhere, the airliner would be flying practically overhead of Tena Bar on the Western Flight Path.  No one has ever claimed to my knowledge that Cooper landed in the river.  In fact, a careful study of all the factors in the matter supports the theory that Cooper was a no pull and landed on solid ground.  Recent work by Tom Kaye indicates that it was several months following the hijacking before the money actually entered the river water. 

32 minutes ago, Robert99 said:

As has been pointed out numerous times elsewhere, the airliner would be flying practically overhead of Tena Bar on the Western Flight Path.  No one has ever claimed to my knowledge that Cooper landed in the river.  In fact, a careful study of all the factors in the matter supports the theory that Cooper was a no pull and landed on solid ground.  Recent work by Tom Kaye indicates that it was several months following the hijacking before the money actually entered the river water. 

Sure, the argument/theory was that Cooper landed in the Columbia until Tom's diatoms came up.. then the argument changed to landing next to the Columbia..

The document I posted along with other evidence shows that the pressure bump occurred between about Merwin and roughly Battleground, not near the Columbia.

Edited by FLYJACK

Interesting...

parachute risers being seen in the area

Risers are a very specific part of the rig. They are the (usually 4 but sometimes 2 in the case of reserves or perhaps a pilot bailout rig) straps (they kind of look like seatbelts) that go from the shoulder part of the harness to where the lines attach. Isolated by themselves, it would be unusual for a non jumper to know what they are or what they are called. Also, in the case of the bailout rig, they do not detach from the rest of the harness, and it would take a tool to disassemble the links to detach them cleanly from the lines. If Cooper were to end up hanging in a tree because the canopy was caught in it, he could cut them with a knife to get down, but then they would be hanging by the lines. So for the person to say 'risers', instead of 'harness' or 'lines'...

I suppose if he were hanging in a tree, he could cut the lines, but that would be a bit of a reach. If he then wanted to use the container to carry stuff (money), he might cut the risers off. So the hacked-off riser with the links and a bit of lines might clue someone in to what they were.

Hmmm...

Edited by dudeman17

4 hours ago, Robert99 said:

Where have you been?  Tosaw stated to the media multiple times he thought Cooper landed in the river .... near enough to Tina Bar (Caterpillar Island) that it accounted for the money found on Tina Bar. That is why he dragged and searched this area for years ...

Likewise, your other piece of propaganda is not generally accepted either -

Edited by georger

15 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

Sure, the argument/theory was that Cooper landed in the Columbia until Tom's diatoms came up.. then the argument changed to landing next to the Columbia..

The document I posted along with other evidence shows that the pressure bump occurred between about Merwin and roughly Battleground, not near the Columbia.

Flyjack, you are mistaken.  I personally have NEVER, repeat NEVER, claimed that Cooper landed in the Columbia River.  I have stated many times that Cooper landed very close to the river, but NEVER in it.

And intentional or not, TK's diatoms support the idea that it was some time after the hijacking before the money was exposed to the river water.  This fits in beautifully with statements I made 10 to 12 years ago in posts here on DZ.

In fact, I have yet to see anything that contradicts the original scenario for the Cooper jump and money ending up at Tena Bar that I posted extensively about in my earliest posts on DZ.

Georger seems to be claiming that Tosaw thought Cooped landed in the river.  As I remember Tosaw's book, he didn't think that Cooper landed in the river but eventually ended up there.

2 minutes ago, Robert99 said:

Flyjack, you are mistaken.  I personally have NEVER, repeat NEVER, claimed that Cooper landed in the Columbia River.  I have stated many times that Cooper landed very close to the river, but NEVER in it.

And intentional or not, TK's diatoms support the idea that it was some time after the hijacking before the money was exposed to the river water.  This fits in beautifully with statements I made 10 to 12 years ago in posts here on DZ.

In fact, I have yet to see anything that contradicts the original scenario for the Cooper jump and money ending up at Tena Bar that I posted extensively about in my earliest posts on DZ.

Georger seems to be claiming that Tosaw thought Cooped landed in the river.  As I remember Tosaw's book, he didn't think that Cooper landed in the river but eventually ended up there.

I wasn't pointing at you..

For as long as I can remember the Columbia River landing theory existed, obviously due to the TBAR money find. I even considered it myself at one time. Recently, Chaucer and Snowmman have been pushing it or a variation like Cooper landed next to the Columbia River along the FBI flightpath.

The evidence clearly rejects that.

For your Western flightpath theory I don't see any evidence to support it. The preponderance of the evidence supports the "FBI" flightpath. Since the map was a plot with a one mile error the actual path may vary sightly..

The evidence is clear that the "bump" occurred roughly between Merwin and about Battleground making that Cooper's jump zone. To move it you have to show that either the "bump" was not Cooper leaving the plane or the flightpath was wrong.. and I haven't seen evidence for either.

12 hours ago, dudeman17 said:

Interesting...

Risers are a very specific part of the rig. They are the (usually 4 but sometimes 2 in the case of reserves or perhaps a pilot bailout rig) straps (they kind of look like seatbelts) that go from the shoulder part of the harness to where the lines attach. Isolated by themselves, it would be unusual for a non jumper to know what they are or what they are called. Also, in the case of the bailout rig, they do not detach from the rest of the harness, and it would take a tool to disassemble the links to detach them cleanly from the lines. If Cooper were to end up hanging in a tree because the canopy was caught in it, he could cut them with a knife to get down, but then they would be hanging by the lines. So for the person to say 'risers', instead of 'harness' or 'lines'...

I suppose if he were hanging in a tree, he could cut the lines, but that would be a bit of a reach. If he then wanted to use the container to carry stuff (money), he might cut the risers off. So the hacked-off riser with the links and a bit of lines might clue someone in to what they were.

Hmmm...

The person went back and dismissed the material found,, they claimed

the interesting part is the money floating in the air.

Edited by FLYJACK

48 minutes ago, FLYJACK said:

I wasn't pointing at you..

For as long as I can remember the Columbia River landing theory existed, obviously due to the TBAR money find. I even considered it myself at one time. Recently, Chaucer and Snowmman have been pushing it or a variation like Cooper landed next to the Columbia River along the FBI flightpath.

The evidence clearly rejects that.

For your Western flightpath theory I don't see any evidence to support it. The preponderance of the evidence supports the "FBI" flightpath. Since the map was a plot with a one mile error the actual path may vary sightly..

The evidence is clear that the "bump" occurred roughly between Merwin and about Battleground making that Cooper's jump zone. To move it you have to show that either the "bump" was not Cooper leaving the plane or the flightpath was wrong.. and I haven't seen evidence for either.

There is no conclusive evidence that proves ANY flight path.  All proposed flight paths are still "theories" and that includes the so-called FBI flight path.

Rataczak later stated during a speech to NWA personnel in Minneapolis that when he though Cooper had jumped, he radioed over the ARINC radio/telephone link for the listeners to "mark your maps" without further identifying the airliner's location.

This means that Rataczak DID NOT KNOW the airliner's location at the time of the jump.  Otherwise, he could have easily glanced at the instrument panel and told the listeners that "we are XY DME miles from Podunk VORTAC inbound on radial ABC" and that would have pinpointed Cooper's jump location.  

1 hour ago, Robert99 said:

1980  March –  Tosaw announces: “I have retired. I am now interested in the DB Cooper case. I may write a book about the Cooper case…”  [Daily Iowan interview re- Nile Kinnick plane, March 1980 ]

Prior to 1980 Tosaw didnt have a theory of the Cooper case. Tosaw was focused on finding Glenn Miller and Nile Kinnick's planes, and raising them, and property development in Iowa City, Iowa. The Ingram find in 1980 came to Tosaw's attention - Tosaw called his brother Mike Tosaw (an FBI Agent later assigned to Seattle) to get his take on the Cooper case ...

The book Tosaw finally produced does not lay out the evolution of Tosaw;s ideas and actions which developed over many years. Tosaw juggled a whole spectrum of ideas over time based largely on his river dragging results and running conversations Tosaw was having with other people ...

Tosaw came to believe (and announced) that Cooper's body and the money bag lay upstream of Tina Bar and there was a $200,000 dollar payday to be had! He solicited funding for dragging the river near Caterpillar Island on that basis. When nothing turned up he solicited help from the public [newspaper ads] and J. Powelson at the Portland Dive Shop shifting his focus to wing dams and shoreline debris piles, all upstream of Tina Bar. These river searches were supplemented by land searches in the Columbia basin.

1980  Feb-April -  “ …money discovery prompted Tosaw to start calling the Portland FBI office – drove us crazy handling his calls so we assigned someone to take his calls …” [Portland FBI agents]. Also began calling the Seattle office and may have found a better reception there since Tosaw’s brother, SA Mike Tosaw, worked at the Seattle Office. Seattle Agent Hamil is quoted as saying ‘Tosaw may have a viable theory. Because the money was found along the Columbia, Mr. Tosaw figures Cooper came down further south than the area the FBI thought he landed.”  Tosaw begins calling Purdy, Powelson, salvage people, etc to get their ideas on the Cooper case ….  

By the Fall of 1980 Purdy convinces Tosaw to supplement river searches with land searches. [see newspaper articles]

Tosaw generally believed that the money at Tina Bar had been deposited there by the dredging work in 1974.

Tosaw believed Cooper's body was IN the Columbia river. That he landed somewhere between Hayden and Caterpillar Islands, either in the Columbia or close to the river, but his body with the money bag were somewhere just upstream of Tina Bar. A few ground searches were launched on the advice of Agent Purdy but his main focus was on dragging the river and inspecting wing dams upstream of Tina Bar. He thought that the money on Tina Bar was the result of the dredging work done by the Corps in 1974 which might have snagged the money bag, tied around Cooper's body. Seattle thought his ideas were interesting because Tosaw was the first semi-official person to seriously suggest Cooper had bailed further south along the flight path, than originally thought.

Tosaw was taken seriously by many people and his credibility was finally proven when he and divers found Nile Kinnick's plane ... and he had another theory and search zone for Glenn Miller's plane.

Tosaw%20Projectm.jpg

Edited by georger

16 minutes ago, Robert99 said:

There is no conclusive evidence that proves ANY flight path.  All proposed flight paths are still "theories" and that includes the so-called FBI flight path.

Rataczak later stated during a speech to NWA personnel in Minneapolis that when he though Cooper had jumped, he radioed over the ARINC radio/telephone link for the listeners to "mark your maps" without further identifying the airliner's location.

This means that Rataczak DID NOT KNOW the airliner's location at the time of the jump.  Otherwise, he could have easily glanced at the instrument panel and told the listeners that "we are XY DME miles from Podunk VORTAC inbound on radial ABC" and that would have pinpointed Cooper's jump location.  

It seems you didn't even read the doc I posted.

We can also call this a so-called hijacking,, how do we really know it actually occurred. I said the preponderance of the evidence supports the "FBI" flightpath if you want to believe otherwise go ahead but unless you have some new evidence then I am not interested.

In the doc I posted Rataczak indicated a range and the endpoint was his call (logged) to Soderlind which was in the suburbs of Portland.. He had never claimed the "bump" was in the suburbs of Portland as has been claimed before, he gave a range which is roughly Merwin to Battleground just like Soderlind's analysis. 

That doc and other evidence clearly rule out a Columbia River landing or next to it.

I am not interested in the Western flightpath theory, the overwhelming evidence supports the "FBI" path.

31 minutes ago, georger said:

1980  March –  Tosaw announces: “I have retired. I am now interested in the DB Cooper case. I may write a book about the Cooper case…”  [Daily Iowan interview re- Nile Kinnick plane, March 1980 ]

Prior to 1980 Tosaw didnt have a theory of the Cooper case. Tosaw was focused on finding Glenn Miller and Nile Kinnick's planes, and raising them, and property development in Iowa City, Iowa. The Ingram find in 1980 came to Tosaw's attention - Tosaw called his brother Mike Tosaw (an FBI Agent later assigned to Seattle) to get his take on the Cooper case ...

The book Tosaw finally produced does not lay out the evolution of Tosaw;s ideas and actions which developed over many years. Tosaw juggled a whole spectrum of ideas over time based largely on his river dragging results and running conversations Tosaw was having with other people ...

Tosaw came to believe (and announced) that Cooper's body and the money bag lay upstream of Tina Bar and there was a $200,000 dollar payday to be had! He solicited funding for dragging the river near Caterpillar Island on that basis. When nothing turned up he solicited help from the public [newspaper ads] and J. Powelson at the Portland Dive Shop shifting his focus to wing dams and shoreline debris piles, all upstream of Tina Bar. These river searches were supplemented by land searches in the Columbia basin.

1980  Feb-April -  “ …money discovery prompted Tosaw to start calling the Portland FBI office – drove us crazy handling his calls so we assigned someone to take his calls …” [Portland FBI agents]. Also began calling the Seattle office and may have found a better reception there since Tosaw’s brother, SA Mike Tosaw, worked at the Seattle Office. Seattle Agent Hamil is quoted as saying ‘Tosaw may have a viable theory. Because the money was found along the Columbia, Mr. Tosaw figures Cooper came down further south than the area the FBI thought he landed.”  Tosaw begins calls Purdy, Powelson, salvage people, etc to get their ideas on the Cooper case ….  

By the Fall of 1980 Purdy convinces Tosaw to supplement river searches with land searches. [see newspaper articles]

Tosaw generally believed that the money at Tina Bar had been deposited there by the dredging work in 1974.

Tosaw%20Projectm.jpg

Tosaw interview..

Cooper is at the bottom of the river.. "straight down like an anvil"

2 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

Tosaw interview..

Cooper is at the bottom of the river.. "straight down like an anvil"

Good! Glad you found that!! There is another like this but I have no link to it .... good post.  

Edited by georger

A heads up for everybody..

You can still access lots of the Washington Historical Society files at the following links..

do separate searches using "Dan Cooper" and "D.B. Cooper" to get all the files

https://www.washingtonhistory.org/research/collections-search/?search_term="D.B.+Cooper"

https://www.washingtonhistory.org/research/collections-search/?search_term="Dan+Cooper"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

the interesting part is the money floating in the air.

I agree that the money floating in the air was the key part of that. It just struck me as odd that some lay person would say 'oh yeah I saw some risers'. Since that's what I know about, that's what I commented on. Shrug.

4 hours ago, Robert99 said:

This means that Rataczak DID NOT KNOW the airliner's location at the time of the jump.

I don't know. I read that differently. I read that as Rataczac assumed that the people tracking the flight DID know where it was, and was just putting a time to the event.

2 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

A heads up for everybody..

You can still access lots of the Washington Historical Society files at the following links..

do separate searches using "Dan Cooper" and "D.B. Cooper" to get all the files

https://www.washingtonhistory.org/research/collections-search/?search_term="D.B.+Cooper"

https://www.washingtonhistory.org/research/collections-search/?search_term="Dan+Cooper"

This is great. Thanks for sharing the link. I'm reading through some oral histories.  One discusses ticketing and says the passengers never wrote their names on the tickets, it was the airline that did that.  The same guy mentions how lax security was in that as a purser he just walked from the parking lot to the plane.  Makes me think how DB Cooper could have visited a 727 at a different airport if he had connections.

Interesting story:

I had worked for NW at the time of the DB Cooper hijacking of the NW 727. I was working that evening in the regional flight office. My boss at the time was the Chief Pilot, I believe it was Al Lee. I recall listening to the conversations between the pilot and the ground as the entire event unfolded. As I told Cherry the other day, and to this day I do not often tell the story, because most when told the story look at me with disbelief. Two weeks following the hijacking I was working in the terminal. I was approached by a guy who asked for directions to the NW flight to Honolulu. Flight 87. I took his ticket noticing three things that we were trained to be "red flags". A one way ticket, paid in cash, and no luggage to check. Also, I had seen the composite sketch of DB, and this fellow very much resembled the composite. After the fellow had left me I contacted my supervisor telling him that I thought that DB was heading toward the Honolulu flight. He seemed not too interested in what I was telling me and then asked me to go to board the flight to Alaska. Around noon time I was having lunch with the Sky Marshal who had been stationed at the Honolulu flight. I asked him if he saw the guy who looked like DB. He said that he had and that he had showed him the composite of DB and asked him if he was that guy. The guy told him, no, and the fellow was allowed to board the flight. Somewhere along the way the FBI was notified I do understand. A day passed and I was asked to meet with two FBI agents in the NW Top Flight Lounge. The agents showed me the composite what they thought Cooper looked like and asked me if that was the guy that I had met the previous day? I told them it was and then I asked them what had happened to the guy. The agents told me that FBI people had met the flight on its arrival in Honolulu but after searching the plane and passengers they concluded that he did not arrive in Honolulu. A big mystery to this day. What happened to the guy from the time that the Sky Marshal encountered him and hr boarded the flight to Honolulu? A flight that he never arrived there on. I have a few theories on it but we will never know what really happened.

• Like 1

My theory is that Cossey made up the chute description or guessed wrong,, he said a 28' NB6 then it changed to a custom NB6/8. Perhaps it changed because he was making it up, it changed to make the 28' fit.

I found this comment in the first Cooper thread.. 

Is this accurate??, if so,, putting a 28' in an NB6 wouldn't make sense for an emergency bailout rig.

Another comment said the NB6 was very tight and jamming a 28' in would be a very hard pull,, that also doesn't sound realistic for a bailout rig.

i really doubt that a 28 ft canopy would fit in the smaller nb6 container. i have packed nb6's and i gotta tell ya its tite.extending the container so a 28 would fit would not be legal as an emergency parchute.the faa approves military personel assemblies for use (i dont recall the wording in the f.a.r.s )but unless the container was built with extensions at the factory and there was a military drawing/ contract #, it would nt be legal for use as an emergency parachute. 

of course if cossey DID somehow manage to put the much bigger (ABOUT 200 sq feet) and bulkier 28 ft canopy into the smaller nb6 container ,then cooper would likely have had an extremely HARD pull .remember,this was back in the days of cones(which the nb6 and nb8 containers had 4), NOT closing loops. rigs with cones exhibit higher ripcord pull forces than the same container with loops.

13 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

My theory is that Cossey made up the chute description or guessed wrong,, he said a 28' NB6 then it changed to a custom NB6/8. Perhaps it changed because he was making it up, it changed to make the 28' fit.

I found this comment in the first Cooper thread.. 

Is this accurate??, if so,, putting a 28' in an NB6 wouldn't make sense for an emergency bailout rig.

Another comment said the NB6 was very tight and jamming a 28' in would be a very hard pull,, that also doesn't sound realistic for a bailout rig.

i really doubt that a 28 ft canopy would fit in the smaller nb6 container. i have packed nb6's and i gotta tell ya its tite.extending the container so a 28 would fit would not be legal as an emergency parchute.the faa approves military personel assemblies for use (i dont recall the wording in the f.a.r.s )but unless the container was built with extensions at the factory and there was a military drawing/ contract #, it would nt be legal for use as an emergency parachute. 

of course if cossey DID somehow manage to put the much bigger (ABOUT 200 sq feet) and bulkier 28 ft canopy into the smaller nb6 container ,then cooper would likely have had an extremely HARD pull .remember,this was back in the days of cones(which the nb6 and nb8 containers had 4), NOT closing loops. rigs with cones exhibit higher ripcord pull forces than the same container with loops.

I have owned 26 foot NB-6 emergency parachutes and putting a 28 foot standard canopy into that container doesn't make sense.  The 26 foot canopy for an NB-6 container has several unique factors in its construction to minimize its packed volume. It is designed for cramped cockpits.

If you have a 28 foot standard canopy you may as well put it into a container that is designed for such canopies.

23 hours ago, CooperNWO305 said:

I have United from April 1970.

I understand that in the early 1970s, United was by far the largest carrier operating through KPDX. Here's a scan of their 1969 route map. It seems that United had flights to KPDX from Seattle-Tacoma, Spokane, Pendleton, Boise, Reno, Medford, Eugene and Salem, as well as some more distant origins. It might be interesting to identify those flights that connected with NW305, i.e. arriving at KPDX no later than say 14:00 PST.

United 1969 route map 02.jpg