47 47
quade

DB Cooper

On 2/5/2008 at 12:27 PM, Albert18 said:

My point about the shoes is that this was not a skydiving event, it was a crime. And this was not a minor crime that involved a few deputy sheriffs or local cops. Cooper activated the FBI, the FAA, the Air Force, the National Guard, local law enforcement and who knows who else. He would have known this and so had to make decisions accordingly. People look at how Cooper was dressed, the fact he didn't bring his own equipment, and his decision making and assume he was inexperienced or didn't know what he was getting into or was flying by the seat of his pants. This may be true but I see a different possibilty.

Maybe there were some very valid reasons for his decision making.

He had to limit the number of eyeballs on him as a very accurate description could doom him. My guess is he did a very good job here. This is the reason for the business suit. Sure it would have been better to show up for the flight wearing boots, hunting clothes, goggles, and a helmet, but he had to blend in. Notice how he started the hijacking. The passengers didn't know the airplane was being hijacked and so they weren't eyeballing him. Then he got them off the plane.

He had to limit the physical evidence. There is virtually no physical evidence except the tie and my guess is the tie was an oversight on his part. He took his hijacking note back and he took the briefcase with him. For his comfort it would have been much better to leave the briefcase but it would have been a treasure trove of physical evidence for the FBI. I believe this is also the reason he didn't bring his own gear. This gear isn't something you pick up at a Kmart and it would have been a disaster for him to bring his own equipment and then have the FBI get their hands on it. I assume he was going to ditch the gear upon landing and gear they provided couldn't be traced back to him.

He asked to have the stairs down at takeoff and it is concluded from this that he meant to jump soon after takeoff. I doubt this. I think he wanted the stairs down because they were his only exit point. Sitting on the runway in Seattle he was basically blind as to what was going on around him. He had to be worried they could do something to those stairs from the outside that would prevent them from being opened after the plane was airborne. Being on the ground in Seattle was his most vulnerable time. If he couldn't get the stairs down it would require another landing somewhere and his risk goes sky high. If the stairs are down at takeoff he knows there won't be a problem.

Cooper wasn't specific about the gear he was given or the flight path. I think Cooper made a logical decision that this was going to be a complex crime. The more he micro-managed the crime, the greater his risk. I think Cooper highlighted key areas and for the rest he decided he would go with the flow. The more he dictates the more info he gives the FBI.

The weather was bad and a negative for him. The weather that night was not only not a negative but was essential for his success. I assume he picked that date because of the weather. The weather kept the authorities off his back until the next day.

He boards the plane in Portland, flies to Seattle, then jumps when the plane comes back towards Portland. From this people assume he jumped blind. I doubt this. I assume he wanted first hand knowledge of the weather between Portland and Seattle and he knew the plane would be coming down this corridor after it left Seattle. We do not know if the pilot had suggested flying to Reno via Boise, he would have accepted that. I think he knew from the southerly direction and elevation he would be flying over the area Bill Walton made famous. My guess is he wanted to land somewhere on the compass around Portland.

I think Cooper knew any chink in his armor and the FBI would get him. Because of this I think he took meticulous steps to limit his exposure. For example I assume he got to the Portland airport in such a way nobody would remember him arriving. That means no taxi. So did he live in Portland or did he just set up a temporary headquarters?

What I can't figure out is how he planned on blending in after the landing. After a major crime like this, anybody seen strolling up a road, walking across a field, walking off a road into a gas station wearing a suit and having wind blown hair, could raise suspicions. There must have been a ground plan. And did he have a chance to use that ground plan?

• Like 1

On 2/5/2008 at 12:27 PM, Albert18 said:

My point about the shoes is that this was not a skydiving event, it was a crime. And this was not a minor crime that involved a few deputy sheriffs or local cops. Cooper activated the FBI, the FAA, the Air Force, the National Guard, local law enforcement and who knows who else. He would have known this and so had to make decisions accordingly. People look at how Cooper was dressed, the fact he didn't bring his own equipment, and his decision making and assume he was inexperienced or didn't know what he was getting into or was flying by the seat of his pants. This may be true but I see a different possibilty.

Maybe there were some very valid reasons for his decision making.

He had to limit the number of eyeballs on him as a very accurate description could doom him. My guess is he did a very good job here. This is the reason for the business suit. Sure it would have been better to show up for the flight wearing boots, hunting clothes, goggles, and a helmet, but he had to blend in. Notice how he started the hijacking. The passengers didn't know the airplane was being hijacked and so they weren't eyeballing him. Then he got them off the plane.

He had to limit the physical evidence. There is virtually no physical evidence except the tie and my guess is the tie was an oversight on his part. He took his hijacking note back and he took the briefcase with him. For his comfort it would have been much better to leave the briefcase but it would have been a treasure trove of physical evidence for the FBI. I believe this is also the reason he didn't bring his own gear. This gear isn't something you pick up at a Kmart and it would have been a disaster for him to bring his own equipment and then have the FBI get their hands on it. I assume he was going to ditch the gear upon landing and gear they provided couldn't be traced back to him.

He asked to have the stairs down at takeoff and it is concluded from this that he meant to jump soon after takeoff. I doubt this. I think he wanted the stairs down because they were his only exit point. Sitting on the runway in Seattle he was basically blind as to what was going on around him. He had to be worried they could do something to those stairs from the outside that would prevent them from being opened after the plane was airborne. Being on the ground in Seattle was his most vulnerable time. If he couldn't get the stairs down it would require another landing somewhere and his risk goes sky high. If the stairs are down at takeoff he knows there won't be a problem.

Cooper wasn't specific about the gear he was given or the flight path. I think Cooper made a logical decision that this was going to be a complex crime. The more he micro-managed the crime, the greater his risk. I think Cooper highlighted key areas and for the rest he decided he would go with the flow. The more he dictates the more info he gives the FBI.

The weather was bad and a negative for him. The weather that night was not only not a negative but was essential for his success. I assume he picked that date because of the weather. The weather kept the authorities off his back until the next day.

He boards the plane in Portland, flies to Seattle, then jumps when the plane comes back towards Portland. From this people assume he jumped blind. I doubt this. I assume he wanted first hand knowledge of the weather between Portland and Seattle and he knew the plane would be coming down this corridor after it left Seattle. We do not know if the pilot had suggested flying to Reno via Boise, he would have accepted that. I think he knew from the southerly direction and elevation he would be flying over the area Bill Walton made famous. My guess is he wanted to land somewhere on the compass around Portland.

I think Cooper knew any chink in his armor and the FBI would get him. Because of this I think he took meticulous steps to limit his exposure. For example I assume he got to the Portland airport in such a way nobody would remember him arriving. That means no taxi. So did he live in Portland or did he just set up a temporary headquarters?

What I can't figure out is how he planned on blending in after the landing. After a major crime like this, anybody seen strolling up a road, walking across a field, walking off a road into a gas station wearing a suit and having wind blown hair, could raise suspicions. There must have been a ground plan. And did he have a chance to use that ground plan?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Ah...the old accidental double post. No big deal. I read your post thoroughly and I think you have some decent insight into the case. I wanted to quote one thing you said:

The way the majority of people get to the airport is by car. Either they drive their own and leave it in the long term parking, or someone drops them off. I think Cooper was dropped off by someone else, but that is only a theory. 

She was replying to that post made back in 2008 by user Albert18, and didn't actually add anything to it.

You can find the original here: 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 8:22 AM, FLYJACK said:

Ultimately, the Cooper case is an extremely complex logic puzzle.. with a massive amount of accurate and inaccurate information to process. If you don't have the reasoning and logic skills down you haven't got a chance sorting it out and you will consistently make errors. The case becomes a Rorschach, a confirmation bias exercise and you just see what you want to see. 

The disruption in the Maldum Fornax is newsworthy and a major accomplishment in La-La Land ! Only crazy people can follow it all. . .

Edited by georger
mumble

On 1/9/2022 at 8:22 AM, FLYJACK said:

Ultimately, the Cooper case is an extremely complex logic puzzle.. with a massive amount of accurate and inaccurate information to process. If you don't have the reasoning and logic skills down you haven't got a chance sorting it out and you will consistently make errors. The case becomes a Rorschach, a confirmation bias exercise and you just see what you want to see. 

Huh ?

B20.thumb.jpg.159fd28b7278cd9a218a8dc785b6410c.jpg

8 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Not sure if you mean baloney toward me...or Flyjack. 

As far as the house in Oregon, we are driving down this Friday to sign the contract. It's a contingency, but I don't see a problem. We're putting up a fairly large cash deposit and putting our other home in Yakima up for sale the next day. Realtor has already been here to the Yakima house. Says we will get at least 265K. House in Oregon is 100K. Current payoff on our house now is less than 50K. You can do the math. And you have seen the property. It was a no-brainer and living out in the country works just fine for both of us.  

I figure we will be moving to that place in Oregon probably first part of April. 

The only BAD part is when July comes and we host the DB Cooper/UFO Skywatch Party...instead of a two hour drive to the location...it will be more like an all-day drive. But we will do the party all the same. But due to the distance, and other factors, I am picking up a small travel trailer. It will come in handy where we will be living anyway. Lots of camping opportunities there. 

To answer the PM messages about what am I doing in my avatar picture:
When I came to Yakima, the driveway was not wide enough. So I made my own parking spot by digging out, placing the forms and steel, and finishing on a seven foot wide extension of the driveway. I had to hand-mix more than 80 bags of concrete, and they weren't delivered. I got them from the local hardware store. Susan did the water hose, I did the wheelbarrow, the mixing, and the shoveling and spreading. I even used the Xterra and a heavy tow chain to jack out some really heavy bushes, just to clear the area for the concrete forms. 

Yeah. I still got it. B) At the bottom of the driveway, near the street, I used a twig to carve into the concrete, 'R (heart) S'. Hope the new owners don't mind. 

MTsvpBC.jpg

I ended up laying a whole lot more steel in that form. There was a bunch of it out back. You could park a semi on it now. Got rid of all the scrap and strengthened the slab. Two birds, one stone.

spxdZqb.jpg

lxi1PGe.jpg

When the weather warms up a bit, a finish coat goes on to smooth it out to match the driveway. 

I decided later NOT to go past the newspaper box. I put our initials right beside it, though. 
See you in July my friends. If you have the nerve, which I seriously doubt. ¬¬

Robert, I’m sorry but can you please tell me what in the actual FUCK this 100% personal post about YOU and your new diggs has to do with NORJAK. We visit this thread because we want to discuss and learn more about the case and not your personal life. If I’m interested in home renovations then I’ll turn on HGTV. Do you not see how you’ve hijacked this thread? Is it too much to ask of you to keep your posts case specific? 

Edited by Nicholas Broughton
  • Like 4

Flyjack and others we are In the process of creating a more technically advanced version of Sluggos website called WiKCoopedia. This whole thread will be archived on it as well as a brand new discussion forum for DBC. I will post a link when the sites live. In the meantime I’m calling for a boycott… nobody post in this thread as long as Robert continues to use this as his personal blog space! 

• Like 2

I figure if we stop posting the eyeballs will stop coming making it less desirable for Robert to want to spam here. Maybe Robert will get sick of talking to himself one day like when Forrest Gump randomly  stopped running in the movie but I doubt it seriously. Lol at any rate it’s worth the old college try! #operationtakebackthedz

• Like 2

When I first started participating in the Cooper forums, it was evident that everyone else was already well familiar with each other. It was also clear that nobody had any regard for RMB. But I like to keep an open mind, give people the benefit of the doubt, and make my own assessments. And I believe I have been fair with him. But geez...

Rarely have I ever seen someone more clueless, more un-self-aware, be so full of themselves. Deluded to the point of mental infirmity. And now he is intentionally, purposefully spamming the site and daring for it to be shut down. An infantile tantrum if ever I saw one. This should definitely be reported in an effort to get him banned and the site restored to on-topic posts.

And Robert, as I told you before (but nothing gets through your thick skull into your deluded brain), what goes on in the other sites regarding you is not hatred. People would have to care about you in order to hate you. It is well-deserved mockery.

• Like 1

Just wanted to give an update on this thread, as unfortunately we do seem to need to come in here and clean house quite often.

RobertMBlevins was timed out in the past and asked to keep the content topical. He agreed to these rules, but has clearly not abided by them. In turn we have banned this user permanently. 

This forum IS supposed to be a little bit more relaxed in what is moderated. But that doesn't mean one can hijack it and post completely off-topic posts. If you want to discuss your personal lives, there's private messages you can use. We definitely want the discussion to revolve around this case and theories related to it. Not what you ate for dinner the previous night.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Administrator said:

Just wanted to give an update on this thread, as unfortunately we do seem to need to come in here and clean house quite often.

RobertMBlevins was timed out in the past and asked to keep the content topical. He agreed to these rules, but has clearly not abided by them. In turn we have banned this user permanently. 

This forum IS supposed to be a little bit more relaxed in what is moderated. But that doesn't mean one can hijack it and post completely off-topic posts. If you want to discuss your personal lives, there's private messages you can use. We definitely want the discussion to revolve around this case and theories related to it. Not what you ate for dinner the previous night.

Thank you!!! And thank you on behalf of anyone in Cooperland who is not on the site but likes to read the posts. And for everyone else too. 

7 hours ago, Administrator said:

Thank you on behalf of the entire cooper vortex…. now we can actually get back to work! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

The color Sketch B was created to more accurately reflect age and swarthy complexion.. Sketch B is more accurate than Sketch A..

sketchbmoreaccurate.png.25c6d35428b29feb4e579ee858b7bcd0.png

newsketch.png.677f2bdd9232582f5dc6d05dece4f386.png

I see it like this too Fly. Composite B to include brown eyes. This batch has two separate witnesses saying they saw him without sunglasses. Cooper was brazen. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Administrator said:

Thank you!

The big news today, I guess, is there will now be three DB Cooper forums! DZ has kicked Blevins off at long last. Shutter will keep his site open. Chaucer will be the new MOD there. Good for Chaucer! And no. 3, Nickyb233 and Flyjack etal will start a new site called WikiCooperpedia??? which will have the old Sluggo files. Do I have that correct? I think so.

Good luck to all. But thank you DZ for finally seeing the light and acting ...

Edited by georger
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Coopericane said:

Seems like a good time to be a Cooper fan... maybe even Larry Carr will show up here again now that thread is back on track!

I HOPE SO! WOULD REJUVENATE EVERYTHING ... might be able to answer a lot of standing questions.

Edited by georger
  • Like 1

I joined well after Jo Weber had left the DZ. I was flipping through Max Gunther’s book and found my notes from conversations with Jo. She was quite unique. Some little things I found interesting. She talked to Tina and Flo. She said while Duane was in the hospital they gave him pills, but he didn’t like taking them, so he hid them. She said the dream he had was at home and not the hospital. She talked a lot as many of you can attest to. 

• Like 1