47 47
quade

DB Cooper

4 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

The FBI was heavily focused on the idea for years that Cooper was a regular skydiver who probably had a favorite dropzone. It never occurred to them that because Cooper was dressed so poorly for the jump, that Cooper might not have been a 'regular' in the skydiving world. 

People get a narrative in their mind, and no answer or additional information will sway it. This has been addressed. It would be no problem to jump in a suit. The only problem might be the tie slapping you in the face, and he left that behind. But many people have jumped in suits, including ties, either emulating Cooper, or for business card photos, or whatever. People have jumped in street clothes, Santa Suits, various other costumes, or buck ass naked. It's not a problem. As for the shoes, Flyjack has shown shoes that would fit the descriptions and be just fine, or you yourself have speculated that he might have had other shoes in that bag. Now, whether he was dressed inappropriately for the environment he landed in, that's another matter. But for the jump itself, no problem, just button the coat.

And it's not just you. There's a guy at the Forum who probably still envisions Cooper exerting definitive control over a non-steerable round, despite two experienced jumpers telling him no.

Brrr indeed. My guess is that he dressed the way he did so as not to stand out in the terminal and the plane. The fewer people that take note of him, the fewer people that can describe/recognize him. The long johns would certainly be a good idea. And his exposure time in the air wouldn't be all that long, even if he opened right away, and certainly less if he was experienced and freefell down before opening. One thing I'm not sure about is the elevation of the ground below him. Subtract that from the 10k msl the plane was at, and that's his actual jump altitude.

(edited)

It is common theme/claim that Cooper wanted to jump in the PNW. Mexico was a ruse.

Nobody has any evidence for that..  none.

He asked to fly to anywhere in Mexico for fuel, don't land in US for any reason.

He INITIALLY asked for airstairs to be lowered in flight. He changed the demand when Reno was in play.

The pilots said "American" currency and Tina said he told her "US" currency, that suggests an international influence.

Cooper was described as Latin in appearance and characteristics. The FBI considered a Mexican connection.

He was not dressed for the PNW climate or weather that night.

He gave no flight path. The chute was virtually un-steerable.

Cooper really had no way to target an LZ.

Those factors indicate that Cooper initially planned to jump much further south... he adapted and decided to jump sooner when Reno was in play. 

Being on the plane landing in Reno with the money and no passengers and authorities waiting would have made the decision to jump earlier than planned an easy one. That is why he changed his demand to airstairs down on takeoff. He changed his plan. He wanted out ASAP..

If Reno wasn't in play,, once the plane was further South closer to his initial LZ, Cooper would have given precise flight path instructions. That never happened because his plan changed.

Edited by FLYJACK

The FBI admitted in the mid 70's that there wasn't enough evidence to convict anyone unless Cooper co-operated. Given the age, Cooper is certainly dead. But, that was pre-DNA. Today, the only way to solve this is with new DNA which is virtually impossible to get.. 

Finding any chutes now is useless. The FBI didn't have the serial numbers and Cossey can't ID them now.

Conclusion, this can't be solved to a "legal" threshold, the best we can do is a "public" standard. 

Somewhat to my surprise, I just received (by snail mail) a response to a FOIA request that I had submitted on 09.18.2020, regarding the "sled test" film. Instead of the standard rejection letter (of which I now have quite a collection), the FBI sent me the five pages below. I believe that the photos are familiar from n467us.com and from Ralph Himmelsbach's book, but I'm not sure that the two cover pages have been released before. The redacted name is presumably Capt. Thomas Spangler. I don't know what to make of the phrase "These will not be used".

The five photos have only two variants. I have the impression that the tail number N467US has been drawn by hand on one image, and airbrushed out on another.

720110 164-81-1A p1.pdf 720110 164-81-1A p2.pdf 720110 164-81-1A p3.pdf 720110 164-81-1A p4.pdf 720110 164-81-1A p5.pdf

• Like 2

(edited)
21 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Well, Agent John Jarvis indicated to three confirmed witnesses (all with security clearances, all worked in the WA DC area) 

You bring this up a lot. A security clearance does not make a person any more honorable or any less of a liar than anyone else. I live within 20 minutes of a Nuclear Facility. It's the facility where the atomic bomb was developed, and it's the same facility that several years ago hijackers threatened to crash a plane in to. I even worked there for a short period of time myself (you guessed it, scrubbing toilets). It employs several thousand people in this area. I know several people that work there, more than I could possibly name. Everyone that works there has to have a security clearance. There are several of them that I wouldn't trust farther than I could spit, and several that I would not believe even if they told me something I knew to be true. The security clearance only means that they have been deemed not a threat to sell or give away secret information. That's all. So please quit with this narrative that because these individuals had a security clearance, that their story becomes much more believable. It doesn't.

Edited by ParrotheadVol

A number of suspects have FBI agents in their corner. If there was one suspect that had all the agents in his corners, I’d give it some attention. But there isn’t. This case has investigators that are practically PhD level into Cooper. Frankly, they know more about the case than most if not all the FBI agents. These agents had many other cases that they were on. They moved on or came to the case late. Outside of Blevins, I don’t think a single Cooper researcher thinks there is any chance that Christianson is Cooper. None. That suspect has only created noise in the system and taken away focus from the case. 

2 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

We're not talking about what investigators believe. Many of them involved in the case either have their own favorite suspect, or they have personal issues going. That is easily proven. 

It's not whether Cooperland believes KC is Cooper. It is what can be proven, and where the truth is. It is the only thing that matters. The sheer volume of personal attacks only proves they are worried. There's nothing like investing years of emotional garbage in a single point, and then finding out you might have been wrong the whole time. 

Ask him. 

So you don't know? I'm confused...

On 2/4/2008 at 5:21 PM, Albert18 said:

If he came forward he could still be prosecuted. They basically indicted the name "Dan Cooper" so the statute of limitations don't apply. It is a weird legal technicality.

After all these years he is still a hot potato.

It would be like prosecuting Frank Morris and the Anglin bros from Alcatraz.  The guy would be in his 90's pretty much for sure unless they overestimated his age?  The FBI has already admitted defeat in this one. Not Alcatraz.  I think its just stupid for them to not grant immunity at this point to find out possibly if they are dead or alive and even if they are, there is no certainty they would come forward?  But at least give them immunity.  Its probably a longshot that DB Cooper is alive.  But its sure possible. 

(edited)

Lots of problems with the DNA..

It is partial, exclude only, it isn't confirmed to be Cooper and there were multiple profiles. Due to this, that partial DNA is useless to both include or exclude a suspect.

However,

Sheridan Peterson was DNA tested in 2004.

Here, in 2008, The Deputy Assistant Director stated..

"To date, only a few of the original suspect pool have been included in the DNA Project for comparison with negatives."

Essentially, in 2008, all suspect DNA testing was negative.

partialdna.jpeg.5dd44dee4fe4663478a5b1a7a1259f5b.jpeg

Edited by FLYJACK

Robert B sometimes says that he thinks there might be a 'coverup' regarding the Amboy chute, because admitting that it was Cooper's would prove that he survived the jump, because the chute was separated from the harness/container. But that document indicates that the kids who found it cut the lines because the rest of it was 'deeply imbedded' into the ground, and then they were unable to re-locate the find spot. So the container might well have been there.

A technical issue - When I log into this site, in the 'notifications' thing, it often says "so-and-so, so-and-so, 'and Guest' commented on DB Cooper". Today it says that Flyjack "and Para-DZ" commented. I don't see a comment from 'Para-DZ', and I've never seen a comment from 'Guest'. Anyone know what's up with that?

28 minutes ago, dudeman17 said:

A technical issue - When I log into this site, in the 'notifications' thing, it often says "so-and-so, so-and-so, 'and Guest' commented on DB Cooper". Today it says that Flyjack "and Para-DZ" commented. I don't see a comment from 'Para-DZ', and I've never seen a comment from 'Guest'. Anyone know what's up with that?

I get that as well..

I assume it is the new forum moderation, new member posts are screened.

On 4/4/2021 at 12:01 AM, DFS346 said:

Here's a third calibration of KA3-9 based on the assumption that the page from the Facial Identification Catalog was standard US letter size

The FBI has assigned a FOIA number to my request for page KA-3 of the Facial Identification Catalog of 1971 (which includes image KA3-9). They had rejected a previous FOIA request, more broadly defined. Will post any further responses from the FBI.