47 47
quade

DB Cooper

16 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

The name of the artist credited with the cover and interior artwork is given in the book. He's from Portland. He is a REAL person, you can look him up using his name. He is still selling art today. Anyone who has read the book can tell it is fiction. It's not reality, my friend. If you want the true name of the author, you should ask the artist. I gave his name in my original post. Maybe I will do this myself. I just was never that interested in finding out, but it can be done. 

Come on. Next you will be saying the Joad family in the movie The Grapes of Wrath was real. They weren't, although there were many families like them. B|

I am not saying it is real or true.  All I am saying is that you have no conclusive proof it is a work of fiction, nor do you have any proof of who the real author is.  I have to put this in my files as speculation and hearsay.   The artist is irrelevant.  Anyone can hire an artist, including Cooper.  Are you saying there is no possible way Cooper could have provided the manuscript to an editor and/or hired this artist?  If you got a lead on the true author, please confirm if it's not too much trouble.  The story of Ha Ha Ha just does not make sense as a work of fiction.  Less than 20% of that book has anything to do with the Cooper skyjack.  Most of that story is a flashback of the authors earlier escapades.  Seems like if Pro authors were going to publish a book posing as DB Cooper they would have stuck to the plot.

(edited)

I stand by the statement. easy to find. the statement was made by one Earl Cossey..we all know 10 seconds is probably off. I'm mean you couldn't find out things in your field that quick, right? It would take me about 20 seconds to find out products in my profession were different or installed by others. hell, sometimes I know within 5 seconds or less. 

I'm positive more occurred past his "10 second" conclusion. I'll bet that was his initial response looking at the chute. you take things literal too often. 

Edited by mrshutter45

" parachute found in Amboy was not from Flight 305 as it was too large at 34-feet in diameter"

“Since it is an open case I can’t give you any specifics…but I can tell you that we did look into it (the Amboy chute)…I can also tell you that it is not a lead we are pursuing at this time"

You can write it off that's okay by me. probably Cooper's, right...

16 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

As far as HA HA HA goes, if some people want to believe it was written by Cooper himself, who am I to shatter their illusions? B|

Affirming the consequent is a common blunder in logic.  Just because I can't confirm your story does not mean I believe anything.  I keep an open mind, including the possibility that there may be something to the Ha Ha Ha book.  Am I supposed to just ignore what may be a key piece of evidence in this case because some guy heard from some lady that she met a guy who said he did the artwork and knew the real author?  I strongly consider your story, but it's not enough for me to say it's confirmed, especially since it is only hearsay.  With the lack of hard evidence, it seems like you would have identified the author if you wanted to do some real work on this case.

(edited)
On 5/7/2019 at 1:46 PM, 377 said:

Good find on that WW2 24 ft B8 rig. Bet it was twill, not ripstop. 

Found a later 24 FT back rig..  

"For sale is a vintage Irvin Military parachute. Lettering on the pack says:  Irvin Standard Air Chute.   Type: Flexible Back.   Item is complete with pilot chute, main canopy, pack, harness, ripcord, back pad, etc.  Documents in the Packing and Inspection Data pouch include a Parachute Inspection Tag that indicates that the canopy is a Reliance 24' made in Nov 1961."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Irvin-Military-backpack-parachute-with-harness-etc-/173771843458?hash=item28759be782%3Ag%3A9lgAAOSw6IdcU4Km&nma=true&si=dF1ZdeGgD4FTm7g1W5AH2Nhxpow%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

s-l1600-8.jpg.0763c0b57c9066506bcbe5c503b51943.jpg

Edited by FLYJACK

18 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

As far as HA HA HA goes, if some people want to believe it was written by Cooper himself, who am I to shatter their illusions? B|

It also seems reckless to be interfering with an open investigation if someone else wrote that book, especially coaxing the reader to go searching for a reward.  If you do find out who really wrote it, it would be interesting to know if FBI paid him a visit over it.

23 hours ago, 4lcy0ne said:

Less than 20% of that book has anything to do with the Cooper skyjack.  Most of that story is a flashback of the authors earlier escapades.  Seems like if Pro authors were going to publish a book posing as DB Cooper they would have stuck to the plot.

So what was the rest of it about? Skydiving? Military? Crime? I'd be interested to read it if I could find one at a reasonable price.

(edited)

I think this is the Placard part number, haven't found an image to confirm yet.

0178AD DECAL - EMERGENCY AIR STAIR HANDLE AFT COMM

0178AD Marker-"Emergency etc." Aero Decals 0178AD, 0178EWRV2FST, Boeing BAC27DPA182

http://www.ozindustrial.com/?page_id=220&partid=592287&partSupplier=Boeing

It shows for a Boeing (727, 737 series).. the earlier 737 had integrated aft airstair option (side) they were known to pop open.

https://www2.partslogistics.com/demo/search-part_num-BAC27.html

https://www.veritableaviation.com/parts-manufacturer-approval/gm-nameplate/bac27dpa182/

Marker - Emergency Airstair Control . . .
(Boeing BAC27DPA182)
Details Available 
0178AD
Details Available
Boeing (727, 737 Series)

Edited by FLYJACK

(edited)
15 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Your reference is unsupported, and my points are valid. Those are not opinions. Those are facts. An 'actual typed-out article'? That's rich. Sorry, I'm not buying it and neither will anybody else I imagine. Not without a reference. 

I google searched for "parachute found in Amboy was not from Flight 305 as it was too large at 34-feet in diameter", and first link was this (which contains the exact phrase):

https://themountainnewswa.net/2012/05/14/the-hunt-for-db-cooper-looking-for-the-amboy-chute/

Does this help?

Edited by Divalent

" the parachute found in Amboy was not from Flight 305 as it was too large at 34-feet in diameter, and that it was a cargo chute."

"He also said it was a WWII vintage parachute."

Hint: You commented twice on the article..the one that never existed.

"Someone 'told' you they received this in an email and you believed it. Either that, or you are making it up. And now your story has changed a bit, to boot."

My reference never changed one bit. I simply stated what I read and stated it was from a quote by Cossey in an article from years ago. what could I change? I don't make things up. 

I told you at the start of this that I was too busy at the moment to say anything further and you went in to auto-discredit making all kinds of assumptions and accusations that were totally false. we went through a similar issue with your trip. you didn't want to listen. 

If the FBI did get back chutes from Cossey his credibility will no longer suffer from people calling him a liar. you would never have done that, right? 

(edited)

Robert, you have no proof he's wrong. the jumpers are also looking at what we are looking at. 377 believes it's twill and not silk or nylon. you question the opinion based on believing it's been in the ground for decades. where is your proof? 

If not mistaken. I cancelled your trip..I mentioned you should go ahead and cancel because I wasn't going to give a "shout out" and you replied, DONE...

Edited by mrshutter45

I told you in a PM that I wouldn't support anyone searching where you were going. I even gave you an idea Flyjack stated about the possibility of the panel going with the placard. you are unpredictable with these events and cancellations. who would promote this while you keep turning it on and off like a light switch..

I just seen the member who posted the link to Bruce's site. that's called an oversight or mistake. what I don't believe is the statement of already knowing about the link. Bruce is not considered a unreliable source anymore than anyone else would be. Bruce Smith has never shown any signs of deception as the other party has multiple times. you are being bias since you are not allowed to post on his site.