47 47
quade

DB Cooper

I read the "this piece of evidence is worthless because you can't prove X" a lot. For those who embrace that line of thought, good luck. What is ever proved before it's proved?

An example is the tie. It is foolish to suggest that evidence from the tie is of little or no value until one can prove that he didn't buy it at a thrift store.

The tie was owned by Cooper. It was found on his seat. Witnesses saw him wearing a skinny black tie. That should settle the matter.

The Goodwill argument is also ridiculous. First off, what is the likelihood that the tie was purchased second hand? Then , if this is the case, what is the likelihood that it was purchased second hand recently enough where particles on the tie were from the previous owner and not Cooper? Next, what is the likelihood that the commercially pure titanium, high-grade stainless steel and rare earth elements common to the aerospace industry happened to find their way to the tie from the previous owner and not DB Cooper considering Cooper's unique knowledge of the 727?

You see my point? The odds are overwhelming. Yet apparently they're still not overwhelming enough for some to consider. Again, good luck with your investigation.

The secret bank account info...came from Sheridan himself.

On 4/15/2019 at 8:15 PM, dudeman17 said:

I've also heard that the FBI holds out hope that someone will remember something, present a new suspect or evidence. Some people have done that, come forward saying 'I think it was my uncle/dad's friend/husband...' That leads me to wonder. If you thought someone you knew/cared about might be a notorious criminal, would you come forward? Risk getting someone in trouble? Or would you keep your mouth shut? I suppose if they've passed and are beyond prosecution you might want to know if the truth could be determined. But would you want to sully their name? Perhaps you'd be lionizing them as a folk hero?  Hmmm.....

427299920_DadsTypewriter.jpg.44d2c5115fd78580b069f5304602189b.jpg

I have come forward and asked the FBI to consider looking into our father, Melvin Wilson. Not for the fame. My brother and I just want to know why he vanished off the face of the earth. 

45 years ago today, my brother and I used the typewriter in my mom's room. We were told the typewriter belonged to our father. This is what we wrote.  Sometimes these two little kids that wrote this letter are still in our hearts and heads. We still continue to wonder where he went. This is why we came forward.

IMAG0830-1.jpg

(edited)
9 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

A question..  If Cooper jumped back first facing into a S wind of 25 knots at elevation and 5 knots at ground how far would he drift from the exit point??

There are a lot of variables that would affect the answer to that question. In freefall, a 25 knot wind would cause some drift, but not a whole lot. I'm not sure the specifics of the canopy he had, but generally a bailout rig of that era, a round (was it modified/unmodified, drive slots, 4-line release?), might have 3-6 mph of performance to work with. The main question would be, at what altitude did he open the parachute? If he jumped at 10 grand and opened right away, he could indeed drift a fair distance. If he freefell down and opened lower, say 2 grand (agl) or so, it would be much less. Also, especially if he opened high, what are the winds doing at other altitudes? It seems to be known what they were doing at 10 and on the ground, but what were they doing at 7? At 4?...

Edited by dudeman17

That video 377 posted showing the static-line jumps from a 727 was interesting. You can see as they get inflation behind the plane that they do get a pretty fair yank on opening shock. The thing that got me was, look at the bag/pod as it comes out of the container, how it gets blown up into the top of the stair channel, and the canopy slides out of it. I'm sure they smoothed that all out to eliminate snag points, but geez, I might've tested the static lines a bit longer.

2 hours ago, dudeman17 said:

There are a lot of variables that would affect the answer to that question. In freefall, a 25 knot wind would cause some drift, but not a whole lot. I'm not sure the specifics of the canopy he had, but generally a bailout rig of that era, a round (was it modified/unmodified, drive slots, 4-line release?), might have 3-6 mph of performance to work with. The main question would be, at what altitude did he open the parachute? If he jumped at 10 grand and opened right away, he could indeed drift a fair distance. If he freefell down and opened lower, say 2 grand (agl) or so, it would be much less.

Yeah, lots of variables.. the FBI guessed at the wind direction.

Assume "Cooper" leaves plane at point A, plane travelling at 190 mph, 10,000 ft, travelling S into S wind 25 mph at elevation and 5 mph ground. What is the estimated LZ range from point A.. given an early pull and late pull.. example: 2-5 miles from point A?

this was the parachute..

https://themountainnewswa.net/2011/10/25/db-cooper-case-heats-up-again-with-controversy-over-parachutes/

(edited)

The FBI flightpath does veer East around 20:12 and turns right around 20:15.. that eliminates an alternate western flightpath.

FBI FILE 10 P 1662 

_______ WAS INFORMED BY ___________ PORTLAND AIRPORT, THAT TWO CHASE WHICH PLANES FOLLOWING FIVE MILES BEHIND HIJACKED AIRCRAFT SUDDENLY VEERED TO THE EAST AND THEREAFTER MADE A RIGHT TURN. THE POINT OF THEIR CHANGE OF COURSE WOULD HAVE BEEN IN CLOSE PROXIMITY IN TIME AND LOCATION TO THAT BELIEVED WHERE UNSUB DEPARTED THE PLANE.

The Elvis flightpath has left the building…

DB-Cooper-Loot-Map1.jpg.1a7a9b484ff88e990a8e64f673710e8e.jpg

Edited by FLYJACK

42 minutes ago, EJU said:

Today's Daily DB Cooper Bite. I discuss some of the evidence found on the jet.

Cooper didn't demand nonstop to Mexico City, he demanded nonstop to Mexico. 

It is 1895 miles from SeaTac to Mazatlan within the 727 range. (Mazatlan was mentioned somewhere in the FBI files but I can't find it)

It wasn't a ruse, Cooper made a demand he thought was achievable, it makes no sense that he would make a demand that he knew would be rejected. No way.

Cooper's initial plan was to jump South of US border.

727 range would have allowed reaching Mexico at normal long-range cruise altitudes, but Cooper demanded flight altitude of 10,000 feet. Those JT8Ds get REALLY thirsty at low altitudes, dramatically reducing range.  

I once got some right seat instruction time in a Lear 24 bizjet. The fuel burn rate ground taxying at 7 mph was darned close to the burn rate we saw at 42,000 ft going .86 Mach. Sure, those were turbojets on that ancient Learjet, not high bypass turbofans, but the principle is the same. 

16 hours ago, dudeman17 said:

That video 377 posted showing the static-line jumps from a 727 was interesting. You can see as they get inflation behind the plane that they do get a pretty fair yank on opening shock. The thing that got me was, look at the bag/pod as it comes out of the container, how it gets blown up into the top of the stair channel, and the canopy slides out of it. I'm sure they smoothed that all out to eliminate snag points, but geez, I might've tested the static lines a bit longer.

I missed that scary little detail. Good catch dudeman. Can you even imagine a static line in tow situation on a 727? Yikes.

I was paying attn to the chase plane, which I believe was a turboprop equipped Beech 18, likely a Tradewind conversion. Air America had some of those.  

When I jumped from the DC 9-21 at WFFC Rantoul IL in 2006 they had removed the stairs and lined the exit area with smooth sheet metal to reduce snag risks. 

3 hours ago, 377 said:

Can you even imagine a static line in tow situation on a 727? Yikes.

Which looks like a possibility. It looks like they have lined the channel with sheet metal, but they appear to be direct-bag static lines. You can see the first guy's bag flapping around up there when the second guy exits. Can you imagine being 7th or 8th out with all those bags lurking up there? Unlikely, but possible...

If you have a legitimate theory, then you should be able to explain why he used the name Dan Cooper.  We know it is based on a comic book.  Most researchers don't get deep enough into the Zodiac killer case to find the comic book connections.  Zodiac's Halloween Card was a reference to the comic Tim Holt #30.  The symbol at the end of the card is featured in Red Ryder.  Doctor Zodiac is a comic book villain who actually hijacked an aircraft ransoming the passengers and escaped by parachute with the money.

cooperfbi.JPG

timholt.jpg

timholt3.jpg

redryder1.jpg

redryder12.jpg

keyreno.jpg

zodiacbatman.jpg

cooper_dr_zodiac.jpg

(edited)

I didn't "request" photo's I've seen looking up myself. it's the actual area where it was found. I also notice you finally figured out it was private property. amazing, coming from a guy in Florida :)

Ground view...exact spot. no sat. pic, or Google 3D will show this...

Edited by mrshutter45

What I'm implying is ground view shots.....taken from a camera on the spot would benefit the case. not the actual location that's been well established and documented. 

I'm interested in what the area looks like from ground level. not from the air which can be found in multiple ways. 

I've been testing the characteristics of the card with drop tests. it doesn't just tumble as some believe. I'm curious to the area's landscape from the ground to see how it's believed a one ounce card never moved in 7 years. today the wind was in the upper 20's and the card didn't stay stationary. it blew around several times. the forest is different since it will block some of the winds but getting a better view will help in this debate. 

(edited)

Robert, this has nothing to do with you. he's going there before your event. it's out in the middle of nowhere. I doubt Swat will get involved. and, I doubt he will be there very long. 

sometimes, you just have to live on the edge.

Edited by mrshutter45

I do have the GPS coordinates. At the end of the day, I don't think anyone is going to give a $#!+ if some guy conducting research walks onto the property. After all, it's not a commercial endeavor. If I arrive and someone kicks me off of the property, I just leave. Simple as that.

In the words of Joan of Arc, "I am not afraid...I was born to do this."