47 47
quade

DB Cooper

Neither of those things are true. And neither are Cook's past claims about money in a safe deposit box in Canada, or a woman with x-ray eyes who can see through cloud cover up 10,000 feet to the airsteps of a 727. Or that people can become obsessed with road flares. That's a new one on me.

I was obsessed with road flares as a kid. We lived near RR tracks and the switch men would leave lots of flares laying around, OLIN FUSEES, I still have a recollection of the labels. Most were only 20-30 % burned down and then the switch men would snuff them out by whacking the tips on the rails. They were hard to relight but it was doable with persistance. We found quite a few unused ones as well with the striker cap igniter intact. Those ones were prized.

We did all sorts of bad things with em, including melting lead linotype slugs from the local newspaper's scrap pile and casting our own crude fishing weights. Also explored the city's spooky storm drain system using these to light the way. We tried unsuccessfully to make them explode. We emptied the powder from one of the kid's Dad's shotgun shells and mixed it with the sulphur powder that was in the flares. Used JetX model rocket motor fuses but all we could get was a flash burn not a big boom even when we put it in a Bell Jar.

Kid now days are over protected. They miss out on these formative experiences. Thank God.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Not sure that this has been posted before, but here's an article talking about the Travel Channel's "America Declassified" Nice read. http://parachutistonline.com/feature/declassified-at-the-dropzone

I have several questions for the skydivers out there.

How far have you been blown from your dropzone due to wind or other factors?

What's the greatest unintended distance from a planned landing that you know of?
What influenced the distance in those cases?

Would the type of parachute that Dan Cooper was using make him more or less likely to be blown "off-course" by wind/weather?

Is there anything that Cooper could do before or after opening his chute (under the conditions as we know them) that would have increased his horizontal distance from a flight path? And I have no idea if horizontal distance is the right terminology so hoping you know what I mean. :)

but....A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.....Winston Churchill

.....Used JetX model rocket motor fuses.....

I had a JetEx as a kid. I accidentally touched the casing just after running it. You only do that once.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I had a JetEx as a kid. I accidentally touched the casing just after running it. You only do that once.

I had a firecracker go off in my hand once. Another thing you only stupidly do once. A most horrible, peculiar type of pain.
Way worse than the time my brother shot me in the back of the knee with a bb gun. Or the time he shot the horse in the rump with a slingshot -- with me riding the horse - just to see if it worked like it did in the movies. Yes, I still plot revenge.
but....A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.....Winston Churchill

smokin99

I had a firecracker go off in my hand once. Another thing you only stupidly do once. A most horrible, peculiar type of pain.
Way worse than the time my brother shot me in the back of the knee with a bb gun. Or the time he shot the horse in the rump with a slingshot -- with me riding the horse - just to see if it worked like it did in the movies. Yes, I still plot revenge.

I used to hold firecrackers in my hand, light them, and then throw them. I did it all the time. Only once did I have one go off in my hand. I was standing in front of our preacher's house and was going to throw it in his yard. It went off just as soon as I lit the damn thing. Coincidence? Maybe. I took it as the man upstairs telling me not to mess with the preacher! A few weeks later, a bunch of my buddies wanted to go roll his yard. I stayed home.

You are right though...that was the last time I ever held a firecracker in my hand while lighting it.
"They were saying he was never gonna make it now, now that daylight had set in. But later that night, they were shining those lights back down on that mountain again." - Todd Snider

If you hold a firecracker (the 1" kind) really lightly between your fingers, it won't hurt at all. Just barely hold it.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

If you hold a firecracker (the 1" kind) really lightly between your fingers, it won't hurt at all. Just barely hold it.

hmmmm...see subject line... ;):)

I have several questions for the skydivers out there.

How far have you been blown from your dropzone due to wind or other factors?

About half a mile. Novice jumper. Bad spot. High winds. I landed going backwards at at least 10 knots.

On a S/L jump I once landed many miles from the DZ. My jumpmaster put me out over a solid cloud cover. He and the pilot messed up trying to use a VOR and a stopwatch. No harm done but a potentially fatal error.

What's the greatest unintended distance from a planned landing that you know of?

The Lake Erie tragedy. http://www.metafilter.com/64215/Worst-Civilian-Skydiving-Accident

What influenced the distance in those cases?

Aircraft navigation error. Combination of pilot negligence, jumper negligence and ATC negligence. Jumped through a cloud layer while over water. ATC gave pilot incorrect position based on misinterpretation of radar target.

Would the type of parachute that Dan Cooper was using make him more or less likely to be blown "off-course" by wind/weather?

Cooper, under an unmodified C9 round, was basically descending without propulsion or steering. He was drifting with the wind. Even if the canopy had a 4 line cut mod he wouldn't have had much ability to navigate during descent. Today's ram air square canopies are capable of far far more.

Is there anything that Cooper could do before or after opening his chute (under the conditions as we know them) that would have increased his horizontal distance from a flight path?

Not much. He could try steering or slipping the canopy but the effect would be minimal.

And I have no idea if horizontal distance is the right terminology so hoping you know what I mean.

I do know what you mean.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Well, I could hardly wade through all of the repetious posting made while I was on Vacation. A lot of repeat, repeat, repeat by one certain party.

When Danielle started to use the POTTY mouth - it confirmed my gut feeling regarding something I suspected in the beginning due to the posting times and I will leave it at that.

Now. The good posts I would like to comment on and I am not going to try to remember who made the postings.

Bruce did create a system of prior restraint and it was ironic. Especially since certain parties made postings on the site and accedited the information deliberately to erroneous parties - it was NOT difficult to see what was going on.

The specific research or enquires accredited to those who did NOT acquire said snooping information and did NOT actually get their hands dirty on the digging. Specifically information acquired by Jo and someone else given the credit.
Example - ratting out xxxx was one!

Such is life...I won't dwell on it, because I know the truth and I have many written instruments - volumes that show who and how other information was acquired by Jo Weber and not the parties who claimed the credits. Xxxx was the most insignificant of these findings. That one was EASY!

Note I am being I hope very careful not to mention names or specifics.

I believe the Place card finding has been dismissed & the various senarios on that had been established - nothing to do with the money on Tena's bar.

As for Cooper surving the jump - well, I know he did - but I will never be able to prove it and I accept that but with a lump in my throat!

The round was used in forestry jump and Paperlegs Peterson was very good at teaching other how to land under the circumstances. Fires creat up drafts and down drafts...and takes some manueving.

377, you mean YOU had not read Towsaw book! I found that almost unforgiveable - actually thought you had done all the research. YOU are aware that Richard Towsaw and Duane's brother knew each other and they belonged to the same boat club and went to the same bible study group and the same church!

As for the SAGE thing and the discussion on the ATC radars I understand just about enough of that to put on the head of a straight pen. The discussion causes me to ask this question:

Was it possible someone had the communications and radar equipment to have tracked the plane as it passed near ARIEL? Someone capable of mounting signal indicators on 3 towers in a triangle and the VOR in the approx flight path the Skyjacked plane had to follow...such as the vector.

Duane's pointing out all of the towers and his specific conversation about 3 tower in a triangle. Does this mean anything to any of you?

You make a reference to Pinging - please explain this a whuffo...and could something have been set up so the man on the ground or woman on the ground would know when Cooper jumped and his approximate location? Could Cooper have had a finding device - homing device on his person? Remember the discussion about the things Duane told me - and this is the first time I have asked a specific question.

You made this statement 377 "I have spoken at length with a skydiver who works FAA ATC as his day job. He said he could see INDIVIDUAL jumpers on his scope and give jump pilots accurate counts of how many jumpers had exited."

You stated Guru confirmed this - TELL me more and tell the THREAD more about this. We have discussed it but NOT in the way I am asking right now.

" Just a few moments before he was a whuffo and now has talents which those can only brag about, in a deluded cloud of self importance".

Don't know who said that one above, but it was a GOOD one!

This next statement I got a kick out of "Wow, sorta puts some perspective on all this crap about skills and whatever, since half of the Air Force ejections where done without being conscious. What does it all mean? "

"Yep, no instructor, no training, no single G environment, no planning to jump, and they managed to perform and live. Oh well, don’t let that impede the delusions of grandeur."

That statement by Farflung was great!
I also would like to know what happened to Farflung! Who was Farflung and will he forever be just memory in this thread?

377 also said:
"Wish we could get Snow, Farf, Orange, Sluggo and all of the old gang back on here. Those were good times."

Jo says:
Me too!

Guess I got caught up and all with one long post!
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

Was it possible someone had the communications and radar equipment to have tracked the plane as it passed near ARIEL?

Sure. It's possible.

Someone capable of mounting signal indicators on 3 towers in a triangle and the VOR in the approx flight path the Skyjacked plane had to follow...such as the vector.

The question is too technically garbled to intelligently answer. Really.

Duane's pointing out all of the towers and his specific conversation about 3 tower in a triangle. Does this mean anything to any of you?

Nope. Unless three towers are in a straight line they will always be in a triangle. I have no idea what the significance of the tower geometry was to Duane.

You made this statement 377 "I have spoken at length with a skydiver who works FAA ATC as his day job. He said he could see INDIVIDUAL jumpers on his scope and give jump pilots accurate counts of how many jumpers had exited."

You stated Guru confirmed this - TELL me more and tell the THREAD more about this. We have discussed it but NOT in the way I am asking right now.

It's been extensively discussed in past posts Jo. What info do you seek?

Decided to Break this part of my long post away from the first part because I really want some answers from you guys on this:

Stated in the Above posting:

As for the SAGE thing and the discussion on the ATC radars I understand just about enough of that to put on the head of a straight pen. The discussion causes me to ask this question:

Was it possible someone had the communications and radar equipment to have tracked the plane as it passed near ARIEL? Someone capable of mounting signal indicators on 3 towers in a triangle and the VOR in the approx flight path the Skyjacked plane had to follow...such as the vector.

You make a reference to Pinging - please explain this a whuffo...and could something have been set up so the man on the ground or woman on the ground would know when Cooper jumped and his approximate location? Could Cooper have had a finding device - homing device on his person? Remember the discussion about the things Duane told me - and this is the first time I have asked a specific question.

Thank You for your tolerance!

Could Cooper have had a finding device - homing device on his person?

Sure. The FBI got Perry Stevens to covertly pack military locator radio beacons in McCoy's chutes. They transmit on 243.0 MHz with a swept tone. UHF ADFs on military planes can home in on them.

There are hand held DFs that can home in on them too. I posted photos of one long ago.

Could Cooper have had a finding device - homing device on his person?

Sure. The FBI got Perry Stevens to covertly pack military locator radio beacons in McCoy's chutes. They transmit on 243.0 MHz with a swept tone. UHF ADFs on military planes can home in on them.

There are hand held DFs that can home in on them too. I posted photos of one long ago.

I remember some of that but MY FOCUS was not as intense as it has been recently.
I still do not understand all of this stuff, but a posting you made caused me to go back to this. IT has BUGGED me since it was first discussed - but a lot of what was discussed I just went along with because I didn't want to let everyone know just how CLUELESS I really am about so many things.

I have never been able to LET go of the things Duane mentioned regarding those towers. Near one of the tower he told me he put something on it one time. THIS was the GREEN MOUNTAIN that Jerry Thomas CLAIMED NOT to know anything about and yet he was supposedly the man on the ground....HE deliberately evaded this subject and so did Bruce because Bruce was with me when I found my Green Mountain in 2010 - the one JT claimed did NOT exist. Duane later pointed out another tower and that is when he mentioned triangles...LIKE it was important.

He told me they were signal towers and mentioned small aircraft - but what about the Boeings - what difference would it make. Couldn't the same equipment be used - regardless of the size of the plane. If the man on the ground couldn't track the jumper coming out of the plane - Then the jumper needed to track the man on the ground.

I REALLY do NOt understand this - but I am trying my best to recall every detail I can! THIS is very important to me - to be vindicated. I know Duane was familiar with Airplane communication but, I really at that time in 1979 did NOT have a DAMN clue what he was talking about...now I am playing back every moment and trying to remember every word!

THIS is so important to me - to be vindicated before I am no longer here to defend myself....why I hated loosing the days I could not post - but I THINK it HELPED me to become more focused...I know it did.

I wish BLEVINS would just shut up for a while - with his repetitions and sales pitches. Since I need to focus I am trying NOT to read his posts - I have to stay on this road. I have to understand what Duane was telling me and I have to find the relatives of BEN.

I had several Ben's sent to me but they were NOT the right Ben - I know Ben is dead and I know he lived in the Brush Prairie area & he lived in a trailer on a road that went off of a road North of the Corner Tavern. The name I am chasing also was connected to Issaquah - he made things and I would expect he was Duane's age give or take. He lived rather remotely and he used to go to the Corner Tavern.

Maybe his name was NOT Ben and I am chasing the wrong name...Duane DID NOT tell me his name...he did tell me he lived in a trailer above the area and in the woods near a stream - off the road and he named the road...but time took that way from me.

I actually just remembered a small detail in my statement above - I had forgot it.

I told the FBI about this yrs ago - but NO ONE cared, but me... Per others JO is a liar and storyteller - so pay her no mind. The stream I had a vague fleeting memory of something else he told me - but it left as quickly as it came. Like he washed his clothes in the stream - could that actually be what I am remembering...sounds so primitive...I know that is what he said. I have NO idea what the time span was for Duane's encounters with the man! 1940's,1950's, 1960's or whatever!

I did NOT imagine the trip or the things Duane Weber told me - I am remembering more than I want to remember.

So much I haven't told and I only just now realized that! It is scary, but I know how my mind works and how my memory works.
I thought maybe I had remembered all I could - but tonight has proven there are still some things locked in my mind.

There is a person whose picture I want to post - and he was a jumper, but I am afraid to do so. He was much young than Duane, but he also knew more about Duane prior to my every having met him. I am not supposed to know what I know. I never knew if the FBI contacted the man!

No sales pitch here. Just advice. Until you start providing last names for people you haven't a chance of figuring out anything regarding that particular person.

[:/]DUHHhhh! just what did U call the rest of that post above - it is WHAT it is -a sales pitch.[:/]

If I used the first & last name it will not help because it is a common name. The last thing I want to do is have phonys
claiming to be the person or persons I am looking for. Do NOT want to do WHAT you did by stating names & causing witnesses to crawl under the Bridge and cringe at the sound of my name.

:oNOW WHY I CAME TO MAKE A POST at 4PM Central time.

Today I had blood drawn due to a CT w/contrast being done on Friday. Hardly anyone there, but when I came back to the waiting room there was a couple (husband and wife) in the waiting room....I spoke and then decided to ask a STUPID question. I told them I felt I had met them before. The woman proceeds to tell me where she worked & told her "NO, it was both of you". I asked if they had ever been in a news article with a picture of the 2 of them together.

She looks at her husband and then she states their picture was in the local paper, but that it was at least 3 yrs ago.
I interrupted her and inserted the name of the paper and the picture was on the left side of the paper.

Her husband looked at me and said - you are the second person I have ever met with that kind of RECALL. THAT made my day - absolutely! He told me about a friend of his who could do the same thing.
I have NO connections to these people and had never met them in person, but they did provide me with a phone number when I told them I needed someone to validate my recall ability....said they would be glad to help.

I didn't tell them what I was involved in but that my ability to recall had been questioned and that I had been called crazy, delusional and off my rocker - which I added "That just might be true".

Without telling them what I was involved in I asked them if they would talk to a government investigative source (such as the FBI). I explained that validation of my mind to recall visuals was needed to help solve a very old crime.

They agreed to be contacted...but, I expect even if I give the FBI their contact number, the FBI will NOT call them or enquire about my VISUAL recall abililty... My visual recall in 2010 was what helped me find things . I couldn't tell someone else where it was...my mind is not a map and does not map things in sequences...it is my recall abililty and at what point in the 1979 trip so I can place it. I remember what I saw and the sequence of things - but sometime I jump ahead and then when I drop back - realize - wait there was another stop - but where is it? Thing have changed - what was there in 1979 looked very different in 2010....

The 2001 trip with the documentary was a waste time recreating the trip...FAST driver & pushing the clock plus my riding in the back seat with multiple questions being fired at me. Too many distractions.
IN 2010 I was able to go along quietly on the road and think about where we turned - what land mark did I establish and how far did we go.

It was all about TIME and space and my fear of cameras -I hate cameras and microphones - I just FREEZE up & go blank. I had 2 lines in a little theater I was instrumental in receating in a small town in 1968, but I blew those 2 lines.
I organize things and build things and make things and help others - but, do not put me on the stage, or hand me a mic or put a camera on me. I just fumble all over the place. IT is NOT just VISUAL it is vocal - I cannot stand up and recite a poem or answer a question standing up in a room full of others.

One on one is all I am good for! I hate crowds and lots of people in a room or in a car.

I have seen that one before - been around since 2004. Production companies see a good story and they try to creat interest and / or tie up an option. Mr. Blevins is more astute in these things than I am.

I expect he has an option for a movie on his book. An option does NOT mean they will ever do anything at all. They see a good story and want to be sure they are first in line if it ever developes - bet you there are things like that out there on other books or other suspects.

Nothing to get excited about.

D. B. Cooper -- Found At Last? - CBS News www.cbsnews.com/news/d-b-cooper-found-at-last/

Aug 22, 2000 ... As CBS News Correspondent Byron Pitts reports, Jo Weber now believes the man she married and knew as Duane Weber was in fact D.B. ...

Opportunity, accessibility, motive and he fits the description...frankly I had NOT seen this version until recently - or perhaps I just forgot it. Byron Pitts was the first formal interview I did after I decided to go public. Something I would not have done had the FBI have been straight forward with me...

I would never have thought to use that picture because I thought it made his ears look to big and his nose look to big...but the angle of the shot if you put on the aviator glasses with the wide bridge and then the thick stems -it was all about perception. ONLY one witness saw the eyes of Cooper and he looked directly at her with a look she never forgot and which was accurately portrayed in the composits.
This was when he told her she needed to read the note! He looked her dead in the eyes - he wanted her to know he meant business.

Attached is a photo of the glasses Duane's wife of the day sent me picture of - they both had a pair and the picture was made in 1971!

RobertMBlevins

No, I don't know anything about that. Screenplay not written yet on KC anyway. Well...maybe the first fifteen pages I did on my own, but it's far from finished. The only time I considered the film route wasn't by me. Paradigm's New York office once contacted me about purchasing the film rights to the KC book. But they warned me the client wanted full control over the content and they were open about 'embellishing' the KC story...and HEAVILY. I said no.

Same story here -the full control thing I just could not & did NOT buy into... they only want OPTIONS. I decided to wait until I had more to go one. Still hanging on many yrs later, but I did do something to protect my rights...if anything should ever come of it.

Paradigms contacts EVERYONE about EVERYTHING! But right now I do NOT remember the names of the companies that contacted me...that was a lot of yrs ago.

I wanted it to be the truth or nothing at all.

Maybe some of those Clues I sent to the FBI will do the JOB! Maybe I will die in the very near future and then IT is all up to someone else...Whatever comes of all of this I will not be around to witness! .

RobertMBlevins

377 is right. Kids are overprotected these days. My brother and I used to do these things with fireworks:

You bend over a piece of thin copper tubing until it looks like a pistol. Insert bottle rocket. Light and aim...at your brother.

Battles using Roman Candles. The advantage is multi-shot firing, pop, pop, pop. Use the ones that explode mid-air for best results. After you get the range on when they will explode, your enemy is toast.

Punch hole in small soup can. Insert firecracker, lay can with firecracker end up in pie pan of water. Can goes up maybe twenty or thirty feet.

Dig hole in hillside where you can stand above and watch. Bury can of black powder with a long fuse you made from several 'Artillery Shell' firework fuses. Light fuse, scramble back up hill quickly. When it explodes, dirt and rocks shower the valley below. :)

Worst thing we ever did: Took a half-empty five-gallon propane bottle and dumped it face down into a fifty-gallon steel barrel with a roaring fire and hot coals. ('Burn Barrel') Goes up with a boom over a hundred feet. Just don't be in the same spot where it comes down. We only did that ONCE. On the farm. We both got grounded for a month by my dad.

Reminds me of the Leroy Katko case. Leroy took his little
brother down to a farm field one day where a farmer had an old
car stored. Katko told his little brother to undo the gas cap, and
light a match to see if he could see how much gas was left in
the car's gas tank. The little boy did as instructed which
instantly turned the boy into a crispie and paraplegic (for life).

Leroy went on to a life of crime:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katko_v._Briney

He eventually committed suicide. Katko's full name was Leory
Marvin Katko, when we had him at the Oakdale Evaluation
Facility.

When I look back on my life on a farm - even with the hard work and not being able to do the things the in town group did...IT WAS HEAVEN! Or perhaps the closest thing I can think of to being in HEAVEN.

Green grass, trees, hills, apple trees, pecan trees, gardens, out houses, smoke house, tobacco barn and other barns. There was always the regular barn for corn storage, feed and Hay storage and harness and work shop and milking and stalls for the animals during bad weather. This is where I pretended to be high wire walker - except it was a 2 inch beam. If Daddy had ever caught me doing that I would have got a really bad whipping. We used to build hideouts in the hay bales and this was the barn my brother decided to jump off of. Today I do not remember if it was an umbrella or a sheet - but whatever - it was was his parachute.

The good days! Young people need to apppreciate what they have and most will never know the life I had - wish I could turn the clock back and go home and never grow up.