47 47
quade

DB Cooper

Jo,

Microwave data links have indeed been used to control power distribution. See this http://www.upptcl.org/tech_info/power_system.htm

These types of systems would have been of no use to Cooper. Really.

BTW the "jewels" in watches are nearly valueless. They are industrial grade bearings, not gems.

Bradley Collins, who recently authored the book My Father was DB Cooper, makes a claim about his Dad having a watch that with the push of a button converted into a luminous analog altimeter in 1971. That watch and Duane's VOR/NAV/microwave tower-detecting watch are science fiction devices insofar as 1971 technology is concerned.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

skyjack71

Georger:

*Somebody sent this idea/material to Jo. This is totally beyond
Jo's capability... Jo appears to be now feeding us material from
somebody else -

:D:D

Georger - I have been trying for yrs to understand this. NO one has shared any information with me. I have stressed the importance of the Gyro and the quartz watch for yrs...but never understood it could possibly have any meaning until I found out 3 wks ago that 3 dams controled the grids thur a microwave signal. ONly then did this start to make some kind of sense...but I still do NOT know what, just that it was important and Duane had told me about the microwave controls at the dams.

NOTE: He had pointed out every tower in the area - fire and warning and others - so why would I think this was any different? NOT until 3 wks ago.

I still do NOT understand what it means other than the skyjacker or someone on the ground had a way of communicating and/or knowning their location.

well then you have surpassed (once again) all expectations.

Duane was at buDop in '69 ... and now Duane has watches
which 'ping-start-stop' as 305 circuits any VOR along V23.
That's not a bad catch for somebody who doesn't understand it
... who cannot post pictures but then posts pictures ... who
does not understand but knows everything ... is your house
haunted?

with any luck maybe I can find an island to go to to get far
away from .... Cooperland!

georger

Georger:

*Somebody sent this idea/material to Jo. This is totally beyond
Jo's capability... Jo appears to be now feeding us material from
somebody else -

:D:D

Georger - I have been trying for yrs to understand this. NO one has shared any information with me. I have stressed the importance of the Gyro and the quartz watch for yrs...but never understood it could possibly have any meaning until I found out 3 wks ago that 3 dams controled the grids thur a microwave signal. ONly then did this start to make some kind of sense...but I still do NOT know what, just that it was important and Duane had told me about the microwave controls at the dams.

NOTE: He had pointed out every tower in the area - fire and warning and others - so why would I think this was any different? NOT until 3 wks ago.

I still do NOT understand what it means other than the skyjacker or someone on the ground had a way of communicating and/or knowning their location.

well then you have surpassed (once again) all expectations.

Duane was at buDop in '69 ... and now Duane has watches
which 'ping-start-stop' as 305 circuits any VOR along V23.
That's not a bad catch for somebody who doesn't understand it
... who cannot post pictures but then posts pictures ... who
does not understand but knows everything ... is your house
haunted?

and she manages to get this information out to the public before the FBI/CIA poof's her posts :D:ph34r:;)

Inspector Gadget/Weber....I have more info, but I fear it going poof. I gotta go, I just heard a noise outside!!

if I fail to return. call the Pentagon and tell them Shutter45 code V23 -305, they will know what to do.....over?
"It is surprising how aggressive people get, once they latch onto their suspect and say, 'Hey, he's our guy.' No matter what you tell them, they refuse to believe you" Agent Carr FBI

Georger wrote

Here it is Georger: Isle of St. James in the North Farallon Island chain. Savage, untamed, close to SF and what a great DXpedition spot for the IOTA (Islands On The Air) hunters. Lots of Great White sharks around these parts so I'd suggest arriving by parachute. Better have good spotting and canopy accuracy skills.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:North_Farallon_Islands.jpg

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Today my phenomenal memory found a mention of a very stort article regarding the night of Nov. 24, 1971.

There was a glich /breach in the microwave communications at the Dams - one of the systemd had only been in operational a short time. It was brief and happened on the night of the Skyjacking. I do not remember if it was something written or stated - but, it was talk if it had anything to do with the Plane being so low.

Duane mentioned the Cascade Locks and about working on a damn. Hell, it sounds like he was all over - but I have only been there 3 times in my wholed life. 1. With Duane in 1979
2. With a production crew 2001 3. In 2010 all by myself - just wandering around.

I want to get intouch with the News Papers there - I need verification this brief bleep occurred. You guys think I am a fricking nut and all I have to prove I am not is my memory and the things Duane said and the things I remember from the other trips.

Yea, I am a blooming idiot when it come to searches and capabilities, but never challenge my memory when it flood back in the waves.

I am riding one of those waves - so HELP me find this. Please.

:|I was using the gyromatic which requires NO battery just put it on set it and go. There was a brief post about the 1970 being the first and then 1971 was different with the Girard Perrigo. This post was taken down almost as soon as it went up - I believe 377 made the post.

There are pictures of Duane with this watch on as early as 1973. So how does a dirty scum bag have a watch like that. Strange thing is the band is NOT the original or I would not think so - and this band was on the watch in a 1973 photo.

Hardly logical they used a Spiedel band on such a watch. So how did the original band get damaged and does anyone have pictures of such a watch.

I sent a picture of this watch to the FBI several months ago - but they did NOT even acknowledge it. How many were produced in 1970, 1971 and 1972 - Duane hardly existed in 1970 and 1971 with littel income, but ever with the income of 1972 he culd not have afforde such a watch.

The other watch is just a cheap watch - that is winding and does not run...it was the one I thought
might have belonged to his father or himself.

Georger this watch DOES not use a battery.

Laugh all you guys want, but Duane never wore these watches after I gave him just an ordinary watch...and was upset with me when I headed to work with it on.
My watch was not working - I assure you he made sure I had a watch the next day...this was after we had moved to - in 1988.

ONE of you great researcher should be able to find that comment about the dam breach the night of the skyjacking. I don't know if it was the papers, a book or one of the few individuals I talk to in WA about the case.

THis little article was no more than one paragraph.

Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

Jo wrote
Today my phenomenal memory found a mention of a very stort article regarding the night of Nov. 24, 1971.

Yea, I am a blooming idiot when it come to searches and capabilities, but never challenge my memory when it flood back in the waves.

I am riding one of those waves - so HELP me find this. Please.

Jo,

I won't dispute that Duane wore watches that he couldnt afford. You know how I think he obtained them.

I will dispute that in 1971 Duane or anyone else including the CIA NSA FBI FCC FAA USAF USN USA or any other entity on this planet had a wristwatch that could use microwave towers and/or VOR stations for navigation.

What makes you think a hydroelectric dam microwave comm glitch on Nov 24th 1971 would be newsworthy? I spent a lot of time looking for your remembered prison smokejumper article to no avail. I'm not going to spend time chasing a remembered article on a dam microwave glitch.

IT DOESNT MATTER ABOUT DUANES WATCHES. BATTERY, GYRO, SELF WINDING, SOLAR POWERED, CHEAP EXPENSIVE, ORGINAL BAND OR SPEIDEL BAND, all of that is irrelevant. IT IS POINTLESS TO RESEARCH FURTHER. NO WATCH IN 1971 COULD DO THE THINGS YOU IMAGINE DUANE'S WATCH DID... but you will probably go to your grave believing otherwise. Sigh.

This remark was also made regarding the Dam and the microwave grids. A man lost his job because of the qluich - the thought he had left his station without relief.

If all of this is really true - then perhaps there is a ghost in my house.
But, what is here is my memories - something is PUSHING me to finish this while I can - that I have to tell all that I know before it is too late.

Duane knew the man! I must be crazy. Who worked there Nov 1971 that was not there later...I think it was Swift Dam he was talking about - definitely not Merwin. Which Damn was built last?

skyjack71

This remark was also made regarding the Dam and the microwave grids. A man lost his job because of the qluich - the thought he had left his station without relief.

If all of this is really true - then perhaps there is a ghost in my house.
But, what is here is my memories - something is PUSHING me to finish this while I can - that I have to tell all that I know before it is too late.

Duane knew the man! I must be crazy. Who worked there Nov 1971 that was not there later...I think it was Swift Dam he was talking about - definitely not Merwin. Which Damn was built last?

I thought Duane built the dam?
"It is surprising how aggressive people get, once they latch onto their suspect and say, 'Hey, he's our guy.' No matter what you tell them, they refuse to believe you" Agent Carr FBI

You and the world thinks I am crazy and I will not dispute that this thing make me feel like I am crazy, but nothing is made up. I did see that picture you could not find - it was in 2000 on a search I did trying to find smokejumpers & prisons & foresty..I had looked up San Quentin that night. I had only had my computer a couple of months and spent every spare moment trying to learn it and to do searchs. I can see that picture very clearly in my mind - 3 men - but the program did not ever start - but there was that picture and the statements under it. There was no article attached to it....

I KNOW people think I am a NUT CASE, but I know what I have told is true. If I told you I was making it all up - that would be a lie!

I am not delusional at all - I go a little berserk with this once in awhile and off on tangents that go no where, but what I am doing now is recalling memories - not explorations as I have been known to do - hoping that exploration will lead to a logical conclusion.

How do I find if this watch is 1970 or 1971? I have been searching but found nothing. If it was valuable surely it was reported stolen.

I no longer feel like making fun of myself or being detered from the things I do know.

Check it out - the incident did happen and I am going to call my N.W. connections and find out very soon.

I would not know if the watch had anything to do with this - but, it was the watch that caused me to remember the power glitch at the dam. So I do believe there is a power bigger and mightier than anything I have ever known driving right now.

Had I not have been bugged about the Watch - I would never have recalled the damn glitch with the grids.

Hell I didn't know what a grid was.
Simple Simon that I am! It is just the flood gate has opened on memories recently and they just keep coming...but they were thing I discuss with other along the way - but only in passing. Nothing seemed connected until now and perhaps this too will pass and it will go Zip to nowhereville.

I guess that is a very good place!
NOWHEREVILLE.

How do I find if this watch is 1970 or 1971? I have been searching but found nothing. If it was valuable surely it was reported stolen.

try here Jo

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&rt=nc&_nkw=1970+Girard+perregaux+Watch

skyjack71

I have tried to explain this to these guys before and with forest fires - you do NOT want to be separated from your equipment. Paperlegs Petersen was one of the first and best to teach these guy how to go in and manuver away from the fires and down drafts and release the equipment just before hitting ground.

Picture attached - the one DUANE WEBER left in a safe deposit box I KNEW nothing about!

Paperlegs was using this method before 1962 when he was in the N.W. with firejumping. Then he was recruited to head up Intermountain Communications out of CO, AZ, WA, OR and NV - the training was done in many places and with different climates. The training head quarters was Canon, Leadville and a place north of Ft. Collins (I forget the name of it right now). Intermountain communications was shut down in 1973.

You're mixing to different types of parachuting up.

Oddly, Jo some of the posts and memories, appear to be word for word lines from this web page.

http://smokejumpers.com/index.php

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

matthewcline

***I have tried to explain this to these guys before and with forest fires - you do NOT want to be separated from your equipment. Paperlegs Petersen was one of the first and best to teach these guy how to go in and manuver away from the fires and down drafts and release the equipment just before hitting ground.

Picture attached - the one DUANE WEBER left in a safe deposit box I KNEW nothing about!

Paperlegs was using this method before 1962 when he was in the N.W. with firejumping. Then he was recruited to head up Intermountain Communications out of CO, AZ, WA, OR and NV - the training was done in many places and with different climates. The training head quarters was Canon, Leadville and a place north of Ft. Collins (I forget the name of it right now). Intermountain communications was shut down in 1973.

You're mixing to different types of parachuting up.

Oddly, Jo some of the posts and memories, appear to be word for word lines from this web page.

http://smokejumpers.com/index.php

Matt

When you say I am mixing up types of parachutes - what are you referring to. If you are referring to Paperlegs - he was military and he was a smokejumper and military.

Yes, he was using smokejumping stuff in the 1960, but Intermountain was some kind of military thing.

If you are referring to Cossey - that might be right, but as there has been a lot of confusing information on that stand point. What it finally came down to was who was re-imbursed for what on the chutes, but the government.

Bruce added to this confusion as he knew nothing like myself about chutes.

I am going to that site to see what you are talking about. I don't ever try very hard anymore since my puter is so slow now and with the aol - I get kicked off before it downloads.

THanks.

skyjack71

What about that site did you want me to see.

What I found interestion was the obits. DO ANY OF YOU KNOW HOW LONG I HAVE LOOKED FOR THIS MAN?

SINCE DAY ONE! HIS NAME WAS WRITTEN ON THE SAN MARIO CARD THAT WAS IN THE WALLET WITH THE FALSE IDENTIFICATION. IF I DON'T HAVE IT SCANNED I WILL SCAN IT AND POST IT. THE CARD HAD A NAME ON IT - AND GUESS WHAT IT WAS.

SAN MARINO SANITARIUM WAS IN CA AND I HAVE SEARCHED HIGH AND LOW FOR THIS MAN. I ALWAY FIND THEM TOO LATE. ONLY PROBLEM WITH THE OTHERS IT WAS JUST NAMES DUANE MENTIONED - THIS ONE HIS NAME WAS IN THE WALLET....I THOUGHT IT WAS A NURSE BY THE NAME OF EDWARDS -

MORE SURPRISES - THAT WAS NOT THE ONLY OLD FRIEND I FOUND. I FOUND 2 MORE - ONE I AM CERTAIN OF AND THE OTHER ONE - IT DIDN'T HAVE ANY BACKGROUND ON - JUST THAT HE WAS THE FATHER OF ONE OF DUANE'S YOUNG FRIENDS AND HE WAS A JUMPER.

Obituaries

Edward Nurse ( Missoula 1948 )
posted: Mar 10, 2003
Ed died March 3, 2003 in Helena, Mont.

From 1943-1945, Ed was a packer for the U.S. Forest Service in Missoula and in 1948 and 1949 he was a Missoula smokejumper.
He enlisted in the U.S. Navy and served as electricians mate for 22 months. Ed worked as an instrument man for the county surveyor in Missoula in 1950-1951 and as student lab assistant at Montana State University-Bozeman in 1952-1953.

He married Marian Louise Sampson in 1951. Ed graduated from Montana State University with a civil engineering degree and after MSU attended the University of California and received a "fast track" masters in engineering.

He opened Foundation and Material Consultant Engineering located in Helena, an active business for 40 years.

Thank you for confirming my theory.
[:/]

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I deleted my post - because I found serious error there. The name on the card when I pulled it was not the same. His name was Edwards - and then Male Nurse. Not Nurse Edwards. The name and the dates seemed right and I jumped before I looked at the old wallet.

It had been a long time since I pulled that old wallet out....it was for only a moment but it was like reaching for a star and I thought I had found it.

THere are 2 other names on there - that I am going to research - to see what else I can find on them. I don't want to jump the gun on either one of those. Harris and Pennington.

You will hang this on me forever, but at leasrt I caught my own error - I was reaching for the stars, but it was the wrong person. As soon as I pulled the old card - and read it I came back to pull the post and YOU had already repeated it....now I will hear that one till the end of time.

I didn't know what you expected me to find on that site. I had been there yrs ago, but now there are new deaths listed. I was there yrs and yrs ago and it looked nothing like the site it is now. I had communicated with the man who was there yrs ago and I assume he is still incharge. There is a lot more there now....but and my communications with him date yrs ago.

He tried to help but we didn't find anything that linked....now there have been MORE deaths and new names.

I didn't look for anything but the obits and it took forever. I didn't see anything on Richard Paperlegs Peterson - I have Paperlegs obit and that is how I knew so much about him.

He was the first person I looked for yrs ago. That was because Duane went to Langdon to see him...the trip we got caught in the Snow storm in WY. coming home - the same trip the plane communiation came thru on our CB on our way to Rock Springs. When we get to Rock Spring Duane goes to langdon to see Paperleg - he is 1 1/2 hours away....Duane went with NO appointment....NO one does that to sell an insurance policy.

You know Jo - It seems like you were basically caught in a lie you couldn't get out of.

It seemed as if you were being pinned down on something else today, but they let you off WAY to easily without any further explanation. You claim you're not a liar. Not being a liar means you don't tell us things that aren't true, and yet you said you performed an experiment using three magnetic towers and one VOR.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to call BULLSHIT.

You're the one who tries to get people to look up things for you because you call yourself a "dumb broad" and claim you don't understand this or that or the other, but you're just remembering things Duane told you. Then it turns out that the things you say Duane told you are word for word copied from some other website.

I called you on another BS line a few days back when these fellas had you pegged for describing incorrectly (according to them) what the airline ticket copy should have looked like. Then just as soon as you were given facts to refute your story you claim it's oldtimers syndrome.

Well Jo, show us we're wrong. Tell us exactly how...

I conducted a elementary experiement with a gyromatic Girard Perroguax Watch. I set up 3 magnetic towers and one vor.

What model vor did you use? How did you wire it up? How did the vor even play into the experiment, I mean I thought this was about a watch? Which three microwave towers were you using - since I don't expect them to have names, how about GPS coordinates? As a little old lady who can't see to good, how did you even know there was a microwave transceiver even on the towers?

Please, enlighten us.

You know, I did my own experiment. Click on the picture below to see what results I found.

youreallcrazy

You know Jo - It seems like you were basically caught in a lie you couldn't get out of.

It seemed as if you were being pinned down on something else today, but they let you off WAY to easily without any further explanation. You claim you're not a liar. Not being a liar means you don't tell us things that aren't true, and yet you said you performed an experiment using three magnetic towers and one VOR.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to call BULLSHIT.

You're the one who tries to get people to look up things for you because you call yourself a "dumb broad" and claim you don't understand this or that or the other, but you're just remembering things Duane told you. Then it turns out that the things you say Duane told you are word for word copied from some other website.

I called you on another BS line a few days back when these fellas had you pegged for describing incorrectly (according to them) what the airline ticket copy should have looked like. Then just as soon as you were given facts to refute your story you claim it's oldtimers syndrome.

Well Jo, show us we're wrong. Tell us exactly how...

I conducted a elementary experiement with a gyromatic Girard Perroguax Watch. I set up 3 magnetic towers and one vor.

What model vor did you use? How did you wire it up? How did the vor even play into the experiment, I mean I thought this was about a watch? Which three microwave towers were you using - since I don't expect them to have names, how about GPS coordinates? As a little old lady who can't see to good, how did you even know there was a microwave transceiver even on the towers?

Please, enlighten us.

You know, I did my own experiment. Click on the picture below to see what results I found.

Jo will probably explain that she passed a watch 'over a map
where VORs reside!

now I want you to place your hands on the screen and pray
with me as follows ...

:D:D:D

Jo works this forum like a pro - if you get suckered in, it's your
fault!

:o

I exchanged phone calls and communication with this man in the last few yrs. I had contacted him about the WHITE BOY at WALLA WALLA who used to go the white man's store to buy them things since they were not allowed to go in the restuarants and other places. At that time there was 3 of the original Nickles and now I do not know if the other 2 are alive.

You see MATT I do communicate with others in this mad search and I do like anyone else jump the gun especially now. I have found nothing new other than some new obits. The site is nothing like the old one, but I am able to access it very slowly.

I have his address still and do not know if there was other living relatives - but a thank you and condolence card will be mailed to the address I have with a please forward. He was very NICE, but he did what he could to help me. I do not know who the other 2 are or if they are still living - but there were 3 and it does not seem like it was so long ago...time runs by and the people I needed to talk to where all in their 80's - if Duane was alive he would be 88 yrs old.

I do not know how to contact the other 2 or if they are still living.
By the way this is not the other 2 smokejumpers I have from the obits. This one I just found - and MATT if you want proof of my exchanges with this man - just come see me. I printed them all out as they came in.:P

His OBIT below

Walter Morris ( Pendleton 1945 )
posted: Oct 22, 2013

Walter, 92, died Oct. 13, 2013, in Palm Coast, Florida. He was one of the original black paratroopers in the Army’s 555th Parachute Infantry Company the “Triple Nickles” and served during the time when the military was segregated.
Walter, a first sergeant, led his men on a westbound train from Camp Mackall, North Carolina, in May 1945, during a secret mission called “Operation Firefly.” They had expected to join the fighting in the Pacific, but upon arrival in Pendleton, Oregon, they learned they would be parachuting into remote areas to fight forest fires caused by Japanese incendiary balloons. He told the Associated Press in 2000: “There was this group of loggers sitting around this big pot-bellied stove, and they said, ‘Oh, you’re here. We’ve been waiting for you a long time. We read in the paper that you were coming out here’ ” to be smokejumpers.
After high school graduation, Walter began an apprenticeship as a bricklayer, but he found construction work was sparse during the Depression. He joined the Army as a one-year volunteer in January 1941. Walter and his men were largely servants to the white combat troops at Ft. Benning, Georgia – they did the cooking, mess hall serving and other mundane tasks, but longed to be paratroopers.
In their off time, Sgt. Morris and a few others trained themselves to be paratroopers while the “jump school” facilities were not in use by “official” trainees. A passing general took note of their efforts and put Walter in charge of a handful of black soldiers, who began official training to be Army paratroopers. Walter was the first black soldier to earn the Army's coveted “Jump Wings.” The handful soon became a company with Walter in charge. The Airborne Training School was subsequently inundated with black applicants and the company became a battalion. Walter was promoted to sergeant major, the battalion’s highest-ranking enlisted man.

I and some ham skydiver friends have experimented doing HAHO jumps with all sorts of radio gear including live microwave (2.4 GHz) video, FM voice on VHF, UHF and low microwave freqs (1.2GHz), and SSB on VHF. We also do APRS telemetry on 144.390 MHz that gives real time GPS data as well as heart rate and blood oxygen levels using a fingertip pulseox sensor. Exit altitudes have ranged from 18,000 ft to 13,500 ft with quick openings to give long hang times. Best distance to a ground station was 190 miles, 30 miles is routine. Of course line of sight range decreases as you descend.

I see you know your military gear so you'll love this. On Oct 12, 2013 I jumped carrying a working WW 2 Army BC 611, the worlds first walkie talkie. Did a hop and pop from 14,000. The BC 611 is 100% vaccuum tube and 70 years old. Heard a station 50 miles away on 3885 KHz AM but he couldnt hear me clearly. Got some very noisy barely readable comms with a ham on the DZ also using a BC 611.

DBC sure could have used a 1971 CB walkie talkie to communicate with an accomplice on the ground but there is ZERO evidence that any radio comm or nav gear was used. Nobody wants Cooper to have used radio gear more than I do, but sadly its just a fantasy with no evidence to support it.

That is truly awesome stuff! I admire you for being able to do a lot of those things. I have a lot to learn. I have a small HT I use now to just listen to NOAA and with local police, sheriff, and fire departments with. It transmits on 2 meters but I'm not a ham yet. I have my book and I'm starting to study though. I'd like to find an elmer to just talk with. Reading a lot of this is dull as I've always been much more of a visual and audible learner.

As far as my comment goes, Jo was commenting about a CB's working with microwave towers...

I want to tall about Microwave Communication Towers in the 70's and it has been explained to me the communication we received on the CB somewhere between Laramie to Rawlins, Wym was probably a Microwave tower.

I did not understand how the Communications being from a Microwave tower could be received by a CB. Now I know they can

That is what I was trying to get at when I said it was stupid to think he was using a CB to communicate with the ground. I should have said "ground microwave towers", or just "microwave towers".

youreallcrazy

where VORs reside!

with me as follows ...

fault!

I was totally expecting this to be the watch in question...

I think it was this one B|

youreallcrazy

where VORs reside!

with me as follows ...

fault!

I was totally expecting this to be the watch in question...

see this -
http://www.techlib.com/electronics/allband.htm

georger

where VORs reside!

with me as follows ...

fault!

Are you saying that Jo was conning the thread a while back when she claimed that she was channeling Duane through the oatmeal?

Robert99