47 47
quade

DB Cooper

hangdiver

Who says Cooper actually tied it closely to his body? If he was an ex-paratrooper, (not Kenny necessarily, but ANY paratrooper) he may have left some slack in the line. Then he jumps and lets it go just as he pulls the ripcord. The result might have been as pictured in the attachment. Roughly that is. Remember: Mucklow said one of the last things she saw was Cooper tying a line around his waist.

I don't think that's how it's done...LMAO

yep, Cooper died all right...

that scenario would probably make the harness fail and kill or severely injure the jumper...

hangdiver

Yes, Robert has the scenario bassackwards on how it is actually taught, and how the experienced, and not so experienced, actually do equipment jumps.

"Tight ,is right"

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

hangdiver

Who says Cooper actually tied it closely to his body? If he was an ex-paratrooper, (not Kenny necessarily, but ANY paratrooper) he may have left some slack in the line. Then he jumps and lets it go just as he pulls the ripcord. The result might have been as pictured in the attachment. Roughly that is. Remember: Mucklow said one of the last things she saw was Cooper tying a line around his waist.

that scenario would probably make the harness fail and kill or severely injure the jumper...

hangdiver

wouldn't most paratroopers on a zip line have there gear on there person rather than a tether line?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nggBtX0HAgM
"It is surprising how aggressive people get, once they latch onto their suspect and say, 'Hey, he's our guy.' No matter what you tell them, they refuse to believe you" Agent Carr FBI

Jerry Thomas

You, Ralph H., and Cossey are all wrong on the parachutes given to DB Cooper. Read the real story from Bruce Smith's Mountain News about the parachutes. The one DB used was one of the two provided by Norm Hayden and the other that the FBI returned to Hayden is in the Tacoma Museum DB Cooper display.

You three also share the idea that DB died in the jump and that is a farce too as all the other jumpers from 727's survived. It was a walk in the park for a skilled jumper like Sheridan Peterson and he survived and is still alive today (about the same age as Ralph H.).

Bob Sailshaw
[email protected]

RobertMBlevins

hangdiver

wouldn't most paratroopers on a zip line have there gear on there person rather than a tether line?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nggBtX0HAgM

Well, I never said I was a paratrooper, but I have seen an awful lot of WW2 footage showing these guys landing with gear hanging from a line below them. In your video, the trainees are carrying very little besides the chute itself. It's also known that WW2 era troopers sometimes had to be pushed onto the plane from behind due to the weight of the gear. I don't think jumping with a 22 pound bag of money would be an insurmountable task.

perhaps you could provide a link? I'm thinking only certain groups would carry gear like that and not a typical WW2 jumper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzF2AfaZvpo
"It is surprising how aggressive people get, once they latch onto their suspect and say, 'Hey, he's our guy.' No matter what you tell them, they refuse to believe you" Agent Carr FBI

I think you assume to much. we are on a parachute site. I would rather hear the information asked answered by someone qualified. not someone who seen a video and puts the equation into play. having heavy load on there back and pushed onto the plane doesn't mean they jump with a tether line.

RobertMBlevins

Well, I never said I was a paratrooper, but I have seen an awful lot of WW2 footage showing these guys landing with gear hanging from a line below them. In your video, the trainees are carrying very little besides the chute itself. It's also known that WW2 era troopers sometimes had to be pushed onto the plane from behind due to the weight of the gear. I don't think jumping with a 22 pound bag of money would be an insurmountable task.

Blevins, Your desperation to save face is getting to be pitiful.

If Cooper had tied the money bag on a tether and then released it upon jumping, it would have become a two body dynamics problem ("earth-moon") rather than just a single body problem ("earth"). The earth-moon dynamics are vastly more complicated than the single body problem.

My guess is that Cooper's chances of being killed in the jump, under the existing conditions and with the money tied closely to his body, would be about 99.999 percent. With the money bag flying around at the end of a tether, the chances of Cooper being killed would be about 150+ percent.

And your faith in a flight path that does not have any proven validity is remarkable.

Robert99

skyjack71

Number one the Microwave towers I am referring to was operational on all three Dams along the Lewis. These systems were completely different.

They controled the power lines somehow. I can't explain it, but I am sure there is someone out there in WA that will be able to explain this to many of you. Also remember the VOR near Battleground. The system worked on Mircowave lenghts and the power could not be transmitted until the the systems were operational.

I conducted a elementary experiement with a gyromatic Girard Perroguax Watch. I set up 3 magnetic towers and one vor.

The watch does weird things. The towers cause it to hesistate and then move and then hesitae and it does this 3 times - you are in rang. JUMP!
THE FACE IS ARMS ARE LUMINOUS IN THE DARK CLOSET. The target is the tower in the middle so you know you are some where between the towers.

The VORS could be set to give SINGALS - binging back. Put me in a plane with this going over the same erea and I will know it is time to get read to jump - The Vor is an important part of this. He didn't need visuals. I guess I am dreaming.
It is late Good night!

Jo,

To maintain you sanity, I suggest you just forget about the radio towers and the VOR signals. But I must admit that your claims move the discourse on this thread to a new level.

Cooper did not have a VOR receiver or the car battery that he would need to power it. You are claiming that Cooper had a portable VOR receiver that was more accurate than the two airline quality VOR receivers in the airliner cockpit.

And you also want to claim that somehow the airliner managed to get off course by 10+ miles while being flown by a highly experienced cockpit crew all three of who had extensive experience with VOR navigation.

Jo, just forget it. Things just don't work that way.

Robert99

In WWII most individual equipment was not lowered on a "Lowering Line", heavier and bulky items did get lowered.

So a Pistol, or Carbine, and their ammo, water grenades, small packs, etc, stayed with them. Mortars, crew served Machine guns, large packs, etc, got lowered on a rope device called the "lowering line".

Not every one rigged their gear for lowering then, as they do ow, but every one did get taught how to do it, in case the next jump you had the heavy stuff. But there would be plenty of experienced Paratroopers around to help you.

Paratroopers then, and still today, jump into a fight prepared to operate for no less than 48 hours without relief or re-supply. So yes, an individual may need assistance to get in the old Gooney Birds.

All Paratroopers are taught to put gear on "tight", then, after we graduate Airborne School we all think we have a better idea and put it on a little looser, then we try that, see it doesn't work as well, and go back to doing it the right way, usually within a jump or two.

If Cooper was a Paratrooper (experienced) and not just qualified (not experienced, just a school house graduate), he would go with that experience, and the money bag would have been on as snug as he could bear, and as it is a small bundle, coupled the terrain he was jumping into, most likely not rigged to be lowered.

I'm not advocating anyone's suspect, but I think this would actually eliminate a few of the more common ones tossed out in this thread.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

matthewcline

In WWII most individual equipment was not lowered on a "Lowering Line", heavier and bulky items did get lowered.

So a Pistol, or Carbine, and their ammo, water grenades, small packs, etc, stayed with them. Mortars, crew served Machine guns, large packs, etc, got lowered on a rope device called the "lowering line".

Not every one rigged their gear for lowering then, as they do ow, but every one did get taught how to do it, in case the next jump you had the heavy stuff. But there would be plenty of experienced Paratroopers around to help you.

Paratroopers then, and still today, jump into a fight prepared to operate for no less than 48 hours without relief or re-supply. So yes, an individual may need assistance to get in the old Gooney Birds.

All Paratroopers are taught to put gear on "tight", then, after we graduate Airborne School we all think we have a better idea and put it on a little looser, then we try that, see it doesn't work as well, and go back to doing it the right way, usually within a jump or two.

If Cooper was a Paratrooper (experienced) and not just qualified (not experienced, just a school house graduate), he would go with that experience, and the money bag would have been on as snug as he could bear, and as it is a small bundle, coupled the terrain he was jumping into, most likely not rigged to be lowered.

I'm not advocating anyone's suspect, but I think this would actually eliminate a few of the more common ones tossed out in this thread.

Matt

+++1+++

matthewcline

Matt

all good points and true -

however RMB will ignore all evidence/facts because he has a
piece of propaganda to put in place. He keeps chipping away
at any common base of facts with his false factoids and
falsehoods.

In the future please defer to RMB (and Jo Weber) for all facts
about WWII and Parachuting! Likewise 3 bundles, 4 bundles, and
5 bundles more. Patty cake patty cake all the King's Men!

:S

Jo wrote

I conducted a elementary experiement with a gyromatic Girard Perroguax Watch. I set up 3 magnetic towers and one vor.

The watch does weird things. The towers cause it to hesistate and then move and then hesitae and it does this 3 times - you are in rang. JUMP!
THE FACE IS ARMS ARE LUMINOUS IN THE DARK CLOSET. The target is the tower in the middle so you know you are some where between the towers.

The VORS could be set to give SINGALS - binging back. Put me in a plane with this going over the same erea and I will know it is time to get read to jump - The Vor is an important part of this. He didn't need visuals. I guess I am dreaming.
It is late Good night!

You are dreaming Jo. There are a lot of radio experts on this forum and not one of them finds this credible, especially in 1971.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Jo wrote

It is late Good night!

You are dreaming Jo. There are a lot of radio experts on this forum and not one of them finds this credible, especially in 1971.

Its difficult to believe Jo came up with this on her own - that
she would use it is no surprise.

Somebody sent this to Jo Weber.

What 'whoever' is talking about (of course) is electro-magnetic
induction effects in and around VORs, like CB rfi, or HF induction
into radiators, teeth fillings, etc ... at high power.

It's another El-Rushbo what-if.

It's interesting that the purveyor of this uses a wrist watch vs.
say 'a plate in Cooper's head' ... because of course we know
Duane had no plate in his head! So the ruse is tailored to Duane.
And a quartz wrist watch which has no moving parts ... I guess?

There seems to be no edge of garbage people will try to peddle
here to entertain themselves and attract attention.

What happened to Fklyjack and the other new guy?

RobertMBlevins

Very difficult. You would have to contact the available - and best - witnesses and then approach them with pictures of your suspect, etc. Try Florence Schaffner, some of the passengers perhaps. We're currently running up a package for a guy who lives in Springfield, OR who sat across the aisle from Cooper. If you need their addresses, PM me...that is unless you've already blocked me from PM's because I'm so dangerous. (*laughs*)

Just curious, Robert....did you hear anything back on the package you sent?

Youreallcrazy wrote

Now since it's stupid to think Cooper was using a CB to communicate with the ground, let's assume for the sake of assumption that Cooper had a radio of some kind. I guess that is the point Jo is getting at. I don't know about civilian, but top of the line for military at the time was the ANC/PRC 77 VHF radio, commonly called the prick 77. That radio alone had to be worn in a backpack due to it's size and it weighed 14~ plus the battery. To my knowledge they just didn't have back then little hand held jobs like we have now. The PRC 77 was "man portable".

To me, that means clear and simple, D.B. Cooper did NOT have a communications radio aboard NWA 305. Does anyone disagree with that?

I and some ham skydiver friends have experimented doing HAHO jumps with all sorts of radio gear including live microwave (2.4 GHz) video, FM voice on VHF, UHF and low microwave freqs (1.2GHz), and SSB on VHF. We also do APRS telemetry on 144.390 MHz that gives real time GPS data as well as heart rate and blood oxygen levels using a fingertip pulseox sensor. Exit altitudes have ranged from 18,000 ft to 13,500 ft with quick openings to give long hang times. Best distance to a ground station was 190 miles, 30 miles is routine. Of course line of sight range decreases as you descend.

I see you know your military gear so you'll love this. On Oct 12, 2013 I jumped carrying a working WW 2 Army BC 611, the worlds first walkie talkie. Did a hop and pop from 14,000. The BC 611 is 100% vaccuum tube and 70 years old. Heard a station 50 miles away on 3885 KHz AM but he couldnt hear me clearly. Got some very noisy barely readable comms with a ham on the DZ also using a BC 611.

DBC sure could have used a 1971 CB walkie talkie to communicate with an accomplice on the ground but there is ZERO evidence that any radio comm or nav gear was used. Nobody wants Cooper to have used radio gear more than I do, but sadly its just a fantasy with no evidence to support it.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Jo wrote

It is late Good night!

If that actually worked everyone's watches would go haywire near towers.

1970: Girard-Perregaux presents its first wristwatch to the world to be equipped with a quartz movement and the following year a second one which vibrates at 32,768 hertz, the frequency remaining the universal standard for quartz watches today.

I'm trying to figure out how she set up "3 magnetic towers and one vor." ?? and yet she can't watch You Tube video's lol

Jo, 10,000 feet is almost 2 miles straight up.....

"The towers cause it to hesistate and then move and then hesitae and it does this 3 times"

Hmmm, how does a quartz watch move?

sailshaw

Jerry Thomas

You, Ralph H., and Cossey are all wrong on the parachutes given to DB Cooper. Read the real story from Bruce Smith's Mountain News about the parachutes. The one DB used was one of the two provided by Norm Hayden and the other that the FBI returned to Hayden is in the Tacoma Museum DB Cooper display.

Bob Sailshaw
[email protected]

SIMPLIFY!

Hayden owned both chutes, Cossey packed them. They had to be repack due to the expiration date.

Hayden had them for his plane...never used them. Carried to meet regulations.

The 2 front packs came from another location - one was dummy.

Hayden's chutes were at Cossey's house when the call came in for 2 chutes - he had 2 chutes he had just repacked for Hayden to meet regulations!

NOW this DON'T come from Bruce.
Long time ago conversation with Cossey. I spoke to Hayden before 2000. Mr. H had put me intouch with him - no computer in those days of my research. Call to Hayden on my long distance itemized bill. Notes in margin.

Did NOT talk to Cossey until this thread - he was real nice, but could be a bear....he sent me some great picks. He packed the chutes and delivered them - he sent me picks of the hardware on the chutes. I did this when 377 and I were talking about the hardware on this thread.

:SThere was bad blood between Hayden and Cossey over the chutes.

These are simple FACTS. To many people tell too many stories and get their stories all mixed up and some just to see their story in print.

:(Too much embellishments in the details to make a story - done over the yrs and of recent for promotion purposes.

This is plain & simple - When Bruce printed his article I just read it with ROLLING eyes - and some OH MY GOD's. Writers liberties are taken way to far.

:|Note I stayed out of ALL of those conversations - just read and kept my mouth shut. NOW I will SPEAK UP!

I have ONLY one question in regards to the chutes. :S:oSince it WAS not Cossey's chute and he was packing them so Hayden would meet regulations - WHY DID he DO a LEFTHAND pull on one of the CHUTES????? He never answered that question - so maybe Hayden can.;)

;)SEEMS like an ODD thing to do on CHUTES no one ever used and ONLY carried for regulation purpose or a problem with the plane. WHY a left hand pull?
BET the FBI didn't even question this!

YOU guys get caught up in details that you cannot prove. Hayden either had to ask Cossey to do a left hand pull - but it stands to reason they were only for regulation purposes and Hayden didn't jump...and hoped he never had to use them. WHY was ONE RIGGED for a left hand pull?

Between Cossey and Hayden there was bad blood after the jump - but, why? WHY was Cossey killed - maybe it wasn't just an accident?

Where does Hayden LIVE? WHERE did Hayden live in 1971? What was Hayden's background? Answer these questions and someone might have a chance to solve this damn thing. I suggest someone contact Hayden and NOT BRUCE - he engarnishes for his benefit.

Someone who knows CHUTES - like 377. Provide 377 with Hayden's info....and he better HURRY. At Hayden's age - every moment counts. WHY loose the last chance anyone has of finding the truth - WHAT was the REAL story behind the CHUTES.

The number I have is 17 yrs old.

Note:
Cossey was killed after Bruce wrote his article on Hayden!

Everyone has LOST the FOCUS and accepted what OTHERS have claimed instead of GOING to the HORSES mouth. Since Hayden was paid for the chutes - they must have been his....documentation was presented. WHY did Cossey claim they were his chutes?

Too much he said she said and bull cocky and people just wanting to be a part of something they know squat about.

If TRUE why did Cossey claim the chutes where his and WHY was there a LEFT hand PULL on one of the chutes he packed. Cossey told a lot of LIES -WHY?

Was Cossey intending to use the chute and a jump it himself before returning it to Hayden?

Did Cossey substitute a chute he had for the one he was packing for Hayden?

WHY do a LEFT hand PULL on chutes that would only be used in an emergency. How would he know the preferences. Hayden only stated he hope he never had to use them. How much training in jumping did Hayden have.

This WHOLE thing with Cossey & Hayden is a mystery in itself!
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

In:Technology, Clocks and Watches [Edit categories]

From "Answers'

Quartz crystals, when properly sized, oscillate (vibrate) at fixed frequencies. These frequencies are not affected by radio waves.

A small quartz crystal can be made to oscillate at 32,768 hertz (cycles per second) in a simple oscillator circuit that has a very low power consumption.

Since the number 32,768 is a power of 2, and can easily be counted by a digital counter, the quartz crystal oscillator is a perfect match for use in a digital watch. Simply put, each time the crystal oscillates, the circuitry in the watch increments a 15-bit binary digital counter. Once the counter resets to 0, one second has passed.

Amazon

***In WWII most individual equipment was not lowered on a "Lowering Line", heavier and bulky items did get lowered.

Matt

+++1+++

+1. Especially on a high speed exit you want everything tight tight tight. When I did my DC 9 jet jump my goggles got ripped right of my face by the exit windblast. I didnt lose them as the band still held, but lesson learned. The goggles had the same tightness adjustment that had worked just fine in hundreds of prior normal jumps. Some jet jumpers lost fanny packs and other accessories that were not tighly fastened.

From "Answers'

Quartz crystals, when properly sized, oscillate (vibrate) at fixed frequencies. These frequencies are not affected by radio waves.

A small quartz crystal can be made to oscillate at 32,768 hertz (cycles per second) in a simple oscillator circuit that has a very low power consumption.

Since the number 32,768 is a power of 2, and can easily be counted by a digital counter, the quartz crystal oscillator is a perfect match for use in a digital watch. Simply put, each time the crystal oscillates, the circuitry in the watch increments a 15-bit binary digital counter. Once the counter resets to 0, one second has passed.

Better take a look here:
https://www.google.com/#q=electromagnetic+induction+in+quartz+oscillators

See also pages like:
http://www.supermagnete.de/eng/faq/What-is-the-safe-distance-that-I-need-to-keep-to-my-devices

In addition: quartz devices have batteries which are subject to emi effects.

*Somebody sent this idea/material to Jo. This is totally beyond
Jo's capability... Jo appears to be now feeding us material from
somebody else -

:D:D

I have tried to explain this to these guys before and with forest fires - you do NOT want to be separated from your equipment. Paperlegs Petersen was one of the first and best to teach these guy how to go in and manuver away from the fires and down drafts and release the equipment just before hitting ground.

Picture attached - the one DUANE WEBER left in a safe deposit box I KNEW nothing about!

Paperlegs was using this method before 1962 when he was in the N.W. with firejumping. Then he was recruited to head up Intermountain Communications out of CO, AZ, WA, OR and NV - the training was done in many places and with different climates. The training head quarters was Canon, Leadville and a place north of Ft. Collins (I forget the name of it right now). Intermountain communications was shut down in 1973.

georger

somebody else -

Geoger NO one provided me with anything....and I have NO idea how or what category to have looked anything up. There are 2 watches - one is a gyromatic (does NOT use batteries) and the other was just a cheap old watch that was a windup.

That cheap watch did not run and I wondered I did ask Duane why he kept it. His remark was - I thought I would take it apart and remove the jewel. I did NOT understand that, but that is what he said. I have since taken the watch apart - but found no jewel so I didn't even know what I was looking for.

In a recent discussion with someone who was working for the power company in the 60 & 70's told me the dams used Microwave to control the power grids. I had called about something all together different.

I did NOT understand this, but it caused me to remember something Duane said on that trip & something I have told, but never attached any thing to it. Duane told me about the mircowave tower, but I did not understand ever what a microwave tower was....in 1979 or if it was of any significance. I have mentioned this before in the thread.

Georger:

somebody else -

Georger - I have been trying for yrs to understand this. NO one has shared any information with me. I have stressed the importance of the Gyro and the quartz watch for yrs...but never understood it could possibly have any meaning until I found out 3 wks ago that 3 dams controled the grids thur a microwave signal. ONly then did this start to make some kind of sense...but I still do NOT know what, just that it was important and Duane had told me about the microwave controls at the dams.

NOTE: He had pointed out every tower in the area - fire and warning and others - so why would I think this was any different? NOT until 3 wks ago.

I still do NOT understand what it means other than the skyjacker or someone on the ground had a way of communicating and/or knowning their location.