47 47
quade

DB Cooper

FLYJACK

Thank you! I've always wanted my own preferred suspect, so I can post long and repetitive arguments on my preferred suspect.

How do we know Christopher Walken was DB Cooper?

1) He matches the description
2) He may seem too young, but he's the same age as Richard Floyd McCoy
3) He has had proximity to other mysterious events -- such as the drowning of Natalie Wood
4) As a professional actor, he would have experience altering his appearance and his voice

Yep! I finally fit in! I now have a suspect. Be sure to check back here hourly for my latest updates!
:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

and some wonder why I don't share the name here… for vetting,,

No, not wondering....I still maintain my original assessment about secrecy on this thread even if you say it does not apply to you -but LET THE HUNGER GAMES BEGIN????? I don't know - that sounds a little competitive to me. :)
But then again, as I said - though I wouldn't be so quick to doubt the prowess of some of us in finding stuff -- idiots and egos do abound - so you might? have a valid point in the cloak and dagger stuff.
However, I certainly would not put Mark Bennett in that category. I think he was just trying for a bit of comic relief. The smiley faces were a dead giveaway. :)
I'm just one of those that says at this point in the game - lay it all out. No one is going to get rich off of solving this case and no one is going to go to prison for the crime. You'll get your 15 mins, maybe an all expense paid trip for two to Ariel, then it all settles back to normal and we have no more reason for being. B|;):(

LET THE HUNGER GAMES BEGIN, INDEED. Come on, you can hardly be surprised, with your theory of a built-in bias towards Cooper being American, that there will be argument to DB Cooper being a foreigner? I mean at one point you said you were trying to eliminate him so seems that healthy discussion towards that end would be a good thing - even without knowing his identity.

The problem with tying a face to the composite is not just because it is a composite - though there is that. It is that it is only one of several composites. Plus the composite is one of a guy in his mid 40s and you are comparing it to a guy in his mid 60s or later. I forget if you said exact age.

The problem with the turkey neck is this often happens as men age - the nose droops, the ears droop, hair disappears from the head and reappears in all sorts of strange places.

The ingredients on the tie - hmm maybe - though everyone tends to just slide right over the fact that a lot of those ingredients can be found in ...yep, fingerprint powder.

Hey I'm all for a new suspect if only to throw off suspicion from one of my favorite actors, so go for it. But for sure people will challenge your assumptions as we do everyone. And most of us play well with others even though we do like to have a little fun every now and then. :)
but....A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.....Winston Churchill

RobertMBlevins

Flyjack says in part:

'My suspect always wore a tie, was exposed virtually daily to all those particles found on the tie AND has a proven connection to "Dan Copper", had WW2 Europe military experience and has aviation knowledge among other things...'

I will assume you mean the Dan Cooper comic. Okay. How was he 'exposed?' Simply being for sale in eastern Canada in limited numbers just won't cut it. Did he own some of them and you can prove this? How do you know he was 'exposed to all those particles found on the tie'? You don't say HOW. Millions of people served in Europe during WW2. Was he a paratrooper and can you prove it? Or was he a skydiver? What 'aviation experience'?

Basically, except for a layered, photoshopped image, you have provided exactly LESS THAN ZERO regarding any suspect. No evidence, no references, no identity, and no proof.

Robert, I all for challenging, but at least read the posts before you dump on him.
He's already said that he can prove his guy read and was obsessed with the comic AND his guy had a connection to a real individual named Dan Cooper. If I 'm not mistaken the suspect is in a picture with a real Dan Cooper at the bridge - the picture that has the square and squiggly line dynamite marking on it. Plus he was questioned on this so he clarified. Plus he never said his guy was from eastern CA, plus he said he didn't photoshop the guys image - he just layered it over the composite. No he's not talking on where the tie particles come from. He's already said that. Now pay attention. :)
but....A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.....Winston Churchill

smokin99

Thank you! I've always wanted my own preferred suspect, so I can post long and repetitive arguments on my preferred suspect.

How do we know Christopher Walken was DB Cooper?

1) He matches the description
2) He may seem too young, but he's the same age as Richard Floyd McCoy
3) He has had proximity to other mysterious events -- such as the drowning of Natalie Wood
4) As a professional actor, he would have experience altering his appearance and his voice

Yep! I finally fit in! I now have a suspect. Be sure to check back here hourly for my latest updates!
:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

and some wonder why I don't share the name here… for vetting,,

No, not wondering....I still maintain my original assessment about secrecy on this thread even if you say it does not apply to you -but LET THE HUNGER GAMES BEGIN????? I don't know - that sounds a little competitive to me. :)
But then again, as I said - though I wouldn't be so quick to doubt the prowess of some of us in finding stuff -- idiots and egos do abound - so you might? have a valid point in the cloak and dagger stuff.
However, I certainly would not put Mark Bennett in that category. I think he was just trying for a bit of comic relief. The smiley faces were a dead giveaway. :)
I'm just one of those that says at this point in the game - lay it all out. No one is going to get rich off of solving this case and no one is going to go to prison for the crime. You'll get your 15 mins, maybe an all expense paid trip for two to Ariel, then it all settles back to normal and we have no more reason for being. B|;):(

LET THE HUNGER GAMES BEGIN, INDEED. Come on, you can hardly be surprised, with your theory of a built-in bias towards Cooper being American, that there will be argument to DB Cooper being a foreigner? I mean at one point you said you were trying to eliminate him so seems that healthy discussion towards that end would be a good thing - even without knowing his identity.

The problem with tying a face to the composite is not just because it is a composite - though there is that. It is that it is only one of several composites. Plus the composite is one of a guy in his mid 40s and you are comparing it to a guy in his mid 60s or later. I forget if you said exact age.

The problem with the turkey neck is this often happens as men age - the nose droops, the ears droop, hair disappears from the head and reappears in all sorts of strange places.

The ingredients on the tie - hmm maybe - though everyone tends to just slide right over the fact that a lot of those ingredients can be found in ...yep, fingerprint powder.

Hey I'm all for a new suspect if only to throw off suspicion from one of my favorite actors, so go for it. But for sure people will challenge your assumptions as we do everyone. And most of us play well with others even though we do like to have a little fun every now and then. :)
Well, if I told you his name, your head would explode,,,, and that isn't covered under Obamacare.. he has a verifiable link to the Cooper case from previous independent sources. I have other pics of him, the one I posted is the only one that was straight on to compare to the hijacker sketch, he always had a turkey neck. He fits the profile, the physical description, motive, opportunity I can't confirm after 42 years, a viable suspect but I fully admit it may ALL be circumstantial. The problem is the ONLY way to PROVE/ELIMINATE him is with fingerprints or DNA. It is a long shot, but if it is the hijacker this will be a movie, this story is that amazing. If he can't be excluded there will be books and maybe a movie, he is that fascinating a character. I just want to solve this thing and giving out his name too early will risk getting the only means to prove/exclude him. If I gave out his name here, georger would on THE VIEW, BLEVINS on LETTERMAN, skyjack71 on double medication. I can't have that on my conscience, imagine on THE VIEW.. I couldn't live with myself,, Seriously, it isn't about fame or money, I just want to see it solved whether it is my suspect or somebody else and in my assessment giving out the name now puts that in jeopardy, a suspect with no resolution..

If you check the ingredients of fingerprint powder it falls very short of an explanation.. I stated the only thing that the picture proves is that my suspect matches the hijacker sketch, I really want to show my picture and suspect photo to Bill Mitchell, we might be in Portland in the spring.

Anyway,it is clear that I am going nowhere here, and won't post anymore until I get my suspects fingerprints and DNA in my possession and independently analyzed. Y'all figure out your own suspects,, EH!

and BLEVINS, I can prove my suspect read every page of every Cooper comic,,

RobertMBlevins

******Flyjack says in part:

'My suspect always wore a tie, was exposed virtually daily to all those particles found on the tie AND has a proven connection to "Dan Copper", had WW2 Europe military experience and has aviation knowledge among other things...'

I will assume you mean the Dan Cooper comic. Okay. How was he 'exposed?' Simply being for sale in eastern Canada in limited numbers just won't cut it. Did he own some of them and you can prove this? How do you know he was 'exposed to all those particles found on the tie'? You don't say HOW. Millions of people served in Europe during WW2. Was he a paratrooper and can you prove it? Or was he a skydiver? What 'aviation experience'?

Basically, except for a layered, photoshopped image, you have provided exactly LESS THAN ZERO regarding any suspect. No evidence, no references, no identity, and no proof.

Robert, I all for challenging, but at least read the posts before you dump on him.
He's already said that he can prove his guy read and was obsessed with the comic AND his guy had a connection to a real individual named Dan Cooper. If I 'm not mistaken the suspect is in a picture with a real Dan Cooper at the bridge - the picture that has the square and squiggly line dynamite marking on it. Plus he was questioned on this so he clarified. Plus he never said his guy was from eastern CA, plus he said he didn't photoshop the guys image - he just layered it over the composite. No he's not talking on where the tie particles come from. He's already said that. Now pay attention. :)
Really? I HAVE paid attention. I have seen nothing presented to date. Until there is, my post on this STANDS. I've been questioned on items like proving Kenny Christiansen actually served as a paratrooper and the manner of his death. In those cases, I provided proof on both. So far, Flyjack has presented SHIT.

Flyjack: Check-in time at the Reality Hotel.

Well that's helpful.
Actually, if you had been paying attention you would have known that he was talking about a real person named Dan Cooper. So really, no you haven't been. You made an assumption that was incorrect because of this. I merely pointed that out to you.

And that is exactly all I addressed - not what has been presented by him or whether he should be questioned on it and back it up. I have already mentioned to him that he should expect to be challenged.

Maybe he actually wants to learn all about his person first so he doesn't have to backtrack on everything later.

FLYJACK

Well, if I told you his name, your head would explode,,,, and that isn't covered under Obamacare.. he has a verifiable link to the Cooper case from previous independent sources. I have other pics of him, the one I posted is the only one that was straight on to compare to the hijacker sketch, he always had a turkey neck. He fits the profile, the physical description, motive, opportunity I can't confirm after 42 years, a viable suspect but I fully admit it may ALL be circumstantial. The problem is the ONLY way to PROVE/ELIMINATE him is with fingerprints or DNA. It is a long shot, but if it is the hijacker this will be a movie, this story is that amazing. If he can't be excluded there will be books and maybe a movie, he is that fascinating a character. I just want to solve this thing and giving out his name too early will risk getting the only means to prove/exclude him. If I gave out his name here, georger would on THE VIEW, BLEVINS on LETTERMAN, skyjack71 on double medication. I can't have that on my conscience, imagine on THE VIEW.. I couldn't live with myself,, Seriously, it isn't about fame or money, I just want to see it solved whether it is my suspect or somebody else and in my assessment giving out the name now puts that in jeopardy, a suspect with no resolution..

If you check the ingredients of fingerprint powder it falls very short of an explanation.. I stated the only thing that the picture proves is that my suspect matches the hijacker sketch, I really want to show my picture and suspect photo to Bill Mitchell, we might be in Portland in the spring.

Anyway,it is clear that I am going nowhere here, and won't post anymore until I get my suspects fingerprints and DNA in my possession and independently analyzed. Y'all figure out your own suspects,, EH!

My point about the fingerprint powder is that there are potentially so many explanations for the ingredients - and they all didn't have to be placed on there at once -- and we aren't 100% sure that it is his tie.

Edited to add: I wanted to make sure before I posted but actually I wen back and checked and there are types of fingerprint powders that can potentially contain all of the ingredients listed. just fyi.

Oh well...sorry to see you go.

FLYJACK

Well, if your reason for not disclosing your suspect's name is because if you did his family would deny you his fingerprints and DNA, that's one thing.

But, you keep talking about books and movies. And, you seem to question the motives of some of this forum. Robert Blevins has his own suspect and so does Jo Weber. Georger has never shown any inclination toward selling anything.

And, as has been discussed on this forum many times, there is only one way to make a small fortune on the DB Cooper case, and that is to start with a large fortune.:)
We have our characters and advocates on this forum, but there are a lot of really good researchers here, too. Once you are able to possess the DNA and fingerprints, I hope you'll recognize sharing more information will be helpful rather than harmful to you.

MarkBennett

Well, if your reason for not disclosing your suspect's name is because if you did his family would deny you his fingerprints and DNA, that's one thing.

But, you keep talking about books and movies. And, you seem to question the motives of some of this forum. Robert Blevins has his own suspect and so does Jo Weber. Georger has never shown any inclination toward selling anything.

And, as has been discussed on this forum many times, there is only one way to make a small fortune on the DB Cooper case, and that is to start with a large fortune.:)
We have our characters and advocates on this forum, but there are a lot of really good researchers here, too. Once you are able to possess the DNA and fingerprints, I hope you'll recognize sharing more information will be helpful rather than harmful to you.

Yeah I've tried to tell him that. Actually, I think I know who his suspect is and yep it would be a showstopper. I kept thinking he looked like someone i had seen before.

If it's who I think, though it shouldn't be hard to find out whether he had an accent or not and there are definitely pictures out there from 70s.

RobertMBlevins

I see a lot of defensive comments back there, as if you have basically NOTHING to present except your own statements. You will let everyone know when you have some actual evidence to present, right? :S

Blevins, explain yourself. Are we suppose to laugh or cry when you make statements such as the above? How about you presenting some actual evidence yourself to back up your own claims about your Cooper candidate.

Robert99

RobertMBlevins

******I see a lot of defensive comments back there, as if you have basically NOTHING to present except your own statements. You will let everyone know when you have some actual evidence to present, right? :S

Blevins, explain yourself. Are we suppose to laugh or cry when you make statements such as the above? How about you presenting some actual evidence yourself to back up your own claims about your Cooper candidate.

Robert99

LOL. Only because you asked. :)
You've known about this for a while, of course.

Downloads average 30-60 a week according to Google Analytics, not counting the link at Newsvine. Sooner or later, someone will figure out whether the truth about Cooper is contained within it or not. I am neutral on all bets regarding that possibility.

Blevins, Do you actually understand what you have just written?

You say you are "neutral" as to whether your book claiming KC was Cooper is "truth"? Why don't you put that remark in your famous download?

Why not just plain English: "RobertMBlevins takes no position as to the truthfulness of this book or any book he writes. Nevertheless, he is writing two additional books on Cooper and trying to sell the screen rights to all three to anyone who is dumb enough to pay for them."

Robert99

RobertMBlevins

******I see a lot of defensive comments back there, as if you have basically NOTHING to present except your own statements. You will let everyone know when you have some actual evidence to present, right? :S

Robert99

LOL. Only because you asked. :)
You've known about this for a while, of course.

Downloads average 30-60 a week according to Google Analytics, not counting the link at Newsvine. Sooner or later, someone will figure out whether the truth about Cooper is contained within it or not. I am neutral on all bets regarding that possibility.

I see a lot of defensive comments back there, as if you have
basically NOTHING to present.

smokin99

Yeah I've tried to tell him that. Actually, I think I know who his suspect is and yep it would be a showstopper. I kept thinking he looked like someone i had seen before.

If it's who I think, though it shouldn't be hard to find out whether he had an accent or not and there are definitely pictures out there from 70s.

fwiw..I found some documented evidence from 1980s that this guy spoke with a "heavy French accent".

RobertMBlevins

I'm not asking for your suspect's name necessarily. But you've said you can show THIS and you can show THAT...but basically you have shown NOTHING.

As in zero, less than zero, nada, negatory, zip....:)

Me thinks there is no more free lunch here for - RobertM Blevins.

And you can forget about ever talking to Rataczak also.

I have a message, which is:

"________________________" [Jätä meidät rauhaan!]

BTW, what was that date you say Porteous interviewed
Rataczak? Inquiring minds wanna-no. ? I'll look it up. Your
post that is -

Howz tricks in Cooperland ? Any NEW revelations ?

:D:S:D

georger

***I'm not asking for your suspect's name necessarily. But you've said you can show THIS and you can show THAT...but basically you have shown NOTHING.

post that is -

:D:S:D[/quote

I think Jan 5 show will be the same old flat down stuff boring
GC 148
DB Cooper into the Funnel of Darkness the movie starring Nicolas Cage, Jennifer Anniston and Woody Harrellson... a Jerry Bruckheimer film

Written by Paul Geivett

GreyCopGC148

******I'm not asking for your suspect's name necessarily. But you've said you can show THIS and you can show THAT...but basically you have shown NOTHING.

post that is -

I think Jan 5 show will be the same old float down stuff boring
GC 148[/quote
DB Cooper into the Funnel of Darkness the movie starring Nicolas Cage, Jennifer Anniston and Woody Harrellson... a Jerry Bruckheimer film

Written by Paul Geivett

GreyCopGC148

*********I'm not asking for your suspect's name necessarily. But you've said you can show THIS and you can show THAT...but basically you have shown NOTHING.

post that is -

GC 148[/quote

I was stuck on float down for15 years

Written by Paul Geivett

GreyCopGC148

************I'm not asking for your suspect's name necessarily. But you've said you can show THIS and you can show THAT...but basically you have shown NOTHING.

post that is -

GC 148[/quote

I was stuck on float down for15 years

So no answer to who owned the property before PDX was built

Written by Paul Geivett

smokin99

There is nothing to suggest that Rataczak heard the hijacker. As far as we know, Cooper never talked directly to the crew in the cockpit except for the one time that they asked if he was okay. So the idea that he would even know at this late date is iffy.

Finally...Even if he did...what do we have if Rataczak says that the hijacker used the phrase?
We would be no further along then current speculation, because if the hijacker did (or didn't) say it you still do not know if he was a foreigner...or a counterfeiter....or a flight attendant that dealt with customs..or a regular ol joe who didn't want pesos...or a Portland banker.

Dead ON!
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

skyjack71

There is nothing to suggest that Rataczak heard the hijacker. As far as we know, Cooper never talked directly to the crew in the cockpit except for the one time that they asked if he was okay. So the idea that he would even know at this late date is iffy.

Finally...Even if he did...what do we have if Rataczak says that the hijacker used the phrase?
We would be no further along then current speculation, because if the hijacker did (or didn't) say it you still do not know if he was a foreigner...or a counterfeiter....or a flight attendant that dealt with customs..or a regular ol joe who didn't want pesos...or a Portland banker.

Dead ON!

Keeping on keeping one.
Duane and another subject lived in Huntington Beach and Long Island it the late 40's They both had connections to Puyallup and Pomerory
Duane claimed to have know the other man and the other man worked along side anonther suspect N. of Seattle. In fact this one susbject is the person Duane probably went to see for that long afternoon catching up on old times....in 1979, Just a bunch of BOY's playing games?

Never forget who this man is or at least what he looked like. I have a reason to repost this pic so you all be good.

Try to post pic of Ma and Pa Weber and some of you who live int the Puyallup area need to look REAL close. Pull old pictures of visitors to the area - visitors to the home of Stanley Gilliam . Where did Stanley Gillimam and Eunicie L Barth Gilliam know this other couple. Fred Barth and one of the other Barth boys also whet to Wa to live and thrive. One of the Barth guys the age of Duane's father - worked with they young men from McNeil - programs that taught them a trade and kept the young 1st offender out of the prison system in 1945 and for many yrs before that.

Some of these young men thought of him as their father.

skyjack71

Dead ON!

Hmmm. Is the interphone, or intercom, or two station stationary
interpersonal communications device (with push to talk button?)
or whatever it's called! .... on a speaker at both ends or just a
private handheld phone or earphone? In other words, can
caller's-in be heard by others when the device is activated on
audio frequencies human's use on this planet?

... "he's calling in now" ... ?

... "I can hear you now"! ... ?

RobertMBlevins

'BTW, what was that date you say Porteous interviewed Rataczak? Inquiring minds wanna-no. ? I'll look it up. Your post that is - '

Pages 53-66 in Blast. Thought you said you'd actually read the book...you talk about it enough. :S

Thanks roar the smarm!

We could put Rataczak under deep hypnosis and ask him if he
did an interview with Porteous, at mealtime with dinner
waiting (his wife calling), of a truncated nature, (filled with
length explanatory remarks and explanations-in-control by none
other than ... ROBERTMBLEVINS! ... who was also being
interviewed ?)

howz TRICKS AND SMARM in Cooperlandt uber alles?

Have you ever done anything that's simple and above the table?

Has it ever crossed your mind that your liddle pdf sent to the
FBI looks and reads like something a "Smut Peddling Madman"
would cobble together ?

Do you play "FBI agent" often ?

Does Porteous play "unknown friend" often?

Does Rataczak really have a "you could be on radio" voice!?

Were any cats and dogs and racoons howling in the background
on the recorded phone tape of this interview ? Can we
hear Rataczak's wife calling?

How long is your canoe paddle that your boat is all over the
map and never gets anywhere a map maker could decipher?

RobertMBlevins

'BTW, what was that date you say Porteous interviewed Rataczak? Inquiring minds wanna-no. ? I'll look it up. Your post that is - '

Pages 53-66 in Blast. Thought you said you'd actually read the book...you talk about it enough. :S

you mean this! ?

RobertMBlevins
Sep 2, 2012, 3:10 PM
Post #35994 of 49772 (9655 views)
Shortcut
Full text of the Rataczak interview [In reply to]
Quote | Reply

Bill Rataczak: Hello.

Porteous: Hi, this is Skipp Porteous with Sherlock Investigations in New York.

Bill Rataczak: Yes, I know who you are.

Porteous: Do you have a few minutes to talk?

Bill Rataczak: Sure. You caught me at mealtime, but I haven’t sat down to it yet. It’s not a major deal.

Porteous: Oh, OK. You should be a radio personality; you have a radio voice.

Bill Rataczak: (Laughter) Thank you. I’m lucky to have any voice at all after what happened to me last summer.

Porteous: What happened?

Bill Rataczak: I was out riding my racing bicycle on a country road last year on the black top and got hit by a gravel truck. Broke my neck, broke my orbital bones around my eyes, my jaw was wired shut, broken, for eight weeks. I was in a halo for a little over four months. I’m still trying to recover from that. I have swallowing and jaw problems. I have no feeling below my waist, but I can walk and that’s the fortunate thing.

I’ve been in therapy ever since I got out of intensive care – they threw me into therapy. I’ve been trying to get back into some semblance of mobility; that’s the reason I haven’t given you a call; my days are busy with therapy and exercises. It’s not the life I would choose.

Porteous: I can understand that. You were the co-pilot on Flight 305 on the day of the Cooper hijacking?

Bill Rataczak: That’s correct.

Porteous: I’m sure you have vivid memories of that day.

Bill Rataczak: I still do, some of the things have slipped a bit, but usually conversation uncovers it again.

Porteous: Do you think the man you know as D.B. Cooper could have been a Northwest employee?

Bill Rataczak: Well, I suppose it’s possible, but based on recent reports about the brother of the person who was a flight attendant, I don’t think so. I have not heard anything from that party that would indicate this. (This is a reference to Lyle Christiansen, the brother of Kenny Christiansen.) There are experiences that only those who were involved would have known about. I have not found anybody yet, whether it’s the FBI, or the two fellows that wrote the book on McCoy—they thought this McCoy was D.B. Cooper and I can tell you he was not—I see nothing that was in evidence that would point to it. *I think McCoy was a copycat. I don’t think that fellow from Northwest was, but then I don’t really know.

(*Reference to Richard Floyd McCoy as a Cooper suspect in the book The Real McCoy – It was later determined that McCoy was not in Washington or Oregon at the time of the Cooper hijacking, but in Utah having Thanksgiving dinner with family. Months later, McCoy tried his own version of the Cooper hijacking with a different flight, but was soon caught. He was tried and sentenced for air piracy, but escaped prison. He was killed by an F.B.I. agent three months later in Virginia Beach, Virginia. McCoy walked into a house where he was hiding out. The F.B.I. was already waiting. When McCoy pulled a weapon, he was killed instantly by a shotgun blast from one of the F.B.I. agents.)

Porteous: Do you think Cooper survived the jump?

Bill Rataczak: Well, my gut feeling is—I sometimes think with my heart and sometimes with my brain—my heart says I hope he didn’t—my brain says I don’t think he did. The bottom line is I don’t think he survived it. When one considers the terrain out there…we were flying over the Cascade Mountains. I used to run out there all the time on layovers—crew rest between flights on overnights and so forth—and I would run railroad tracks and highways and country roads and I can tell you that people have corroborated this—they have a tremendous amount of black raspberry or blackberry, I don’t know, I’m not a botanist—I don’t know one from the other—they have a lot of those bushes in that terrain to prevent the railroad beds from eroding and highways from doing the same thing—and I’m told that’s a prevalent underbrush of the mountainous areas of the Cascades and if he were anywhere deep in the woods out there I don’t know how he could possibly get through there without a pair of leather chaps or flame thrower or a machete. I don’t think he could do it. Although we hear stories from Jo Weber, you’re familiar with her?

Porteous: Yes, I talked with her.

Bill Rataczak: She claims her husband took her up there by the old highway, Route 1 or 2, it goes by the coast—this road being slightly to the east of the current highway. She said that was there he walked out of the woods. Well, maybe he did. Maybe he landed close to the road and was able to get out. I don’t know. I do know that our technical support people who were on the radio with us during the hijacking, especially Paul Soderlind, tried to determine the exact area where Cooper might have jumped. We relied heavily on him for technical information during the flight. He was head of Technical Operations in our Flight Training Department.

Paul and many others did a lot of work trying to determine the exact area in general, and then tried to narrow down where the hijacker could have landed after he jumped from the airplane. They finally determined the likely spot. Well, our crew on board was 99% sure they were correct because we felt a tremendous amount of pressure bump in our ears when the aft stairs rebounded when they closed. It would be like rolling down and rolling back up the window with a vast crank on your car when you’re speeding down the highway, which is something we’ve all experienced with our ears. We also got confirmation on the Flight Engineer’s panel indicating that the stairs had momentarily closed. I make the analogy that walking down those aft stairs during flight was like walking to the end of a diving board. The more you weigh, the more the board will bend, and when Cooper finally jumped from it, the stairs rebounded and sort of came back to neutral. Well, the stairs were open about thirty to thirty-six inches under the air-stream after Cooper opened the door—that’s just the natural point where they will fall – the gap between the bottom of the stairs and the closure point in flight. When he walked out there his weight made the steps open further the farther he went down. Then, he was certainly able to jump from the bottom step. So we pretty much know when he jumped.

Where he jumped was up to air-traffic control to coordinate with our technical people. They plotted an area based on winds that were prevalent at that time, and then, of course, there were different approaches to his fall that could have occurred. When did he deploy the chute, for example? Did he deploy it immediately? If he did, then he would be carried farther from the jump point by the wind. Or if something went wrong and he didn’t deploy at all and ended up boring a hole in the ground and is forever buried and is now nothing more than a skeleton, then he would have been closer to point of departure. So, somewhere in between is where he probably landed. With the winds it is hard to say.
But, it’s strange that there’s no chute that was ever found. That would be somewhat understandable given the underbrush and the terrain if it was never deployed. But, if it was deployed then it certainly is possible that he was able to gather it up and stuff it into a tree trunk or something. Lots of questions remain about the whole thing. I don’t know if there will ever be answers.

Porteous: The chute was red and yellow, wasn’t it?

Bill Rataczak: Well, that’s a good question. I don’t know if it was. That’s the first I’ve heard of that. That’s something I should take up with Ralph Himmelsbach. (The FBI Special Agent who was originally assigned to the case.) Certainly, we know there were four chutes. That gave us some worry because we thought maybe he wanted all three of us to jump with him. Then my concern was that the FBI had already tried to stop the hijacking by using delaying tactics during the refueling process on the ground prior to our re-departure from Sea-Tac airport. I thought the F.B.I. might try to put someone’s laundry into one of the chute packs and one of us would get stuck with it.

Porteous: That must have worried you a bit.

Bill Rataczak: I have to say that was one of the few times that we really got a bit concerned. The other time was when we didn’t meet his deadline to get everything together on the ground in Seattle—the parachutes, maps, charts that we needed, and the money of course. When that deadline came and went he became very agitated and threatened to blow up the airplane.

Another time was when the money that was to be brought in by Tina was brought in a hap sack, a bag. I’m not quite sure how to describe the bag other than it was a very coarse hap sack with a leather shoulder strap across it and a leather handle and the $200,000 was in that. He wanted a hiking-type knapsack, but knapsacks weren’t as popular then as they are nowadays, where every kid in the street has one. But obviously someone in the bank had the bag. Those were times when we were afraid we might only hear one syllable of the word ‘bang.’ We might only hear the first letter or two of it. (Refers to Cooper becoming so angry he might set off the bomb)

Porteous: Did he ask for the $200,000 in $20 bills?

Bill Rataczak: I have to check my notes, I’m not certain if he did or not. Hmmm, I think he did ask for, no, I don’t think he did. He just wanted $200,000 in a knapsack. I’m not certain if he did or not. I have to go through my notes again and look at that. As I understand it—this in not uncommon—right back here in the Midwest, right here in Minneapolis as a matter of fact, there was a family—Piper was the name of the family—he was a wealthy investment banker—his wife was kidnapped and they demanded money—about 30 years ago—the money was finally left under a tree somewhere in the north woods of Minneapolis. I think that was the catalyst for investment firms and banks to have the money put aside to have it ready for such contingencies. Seattle was ready for this. It was kind of strange; we thought the money would take a long time to put together. The money was one of the first things put on the plane. As I understand it, the consortium of banks in Seattle put money together for just a situation—kidnapping of one of their employees or a spouse or something like that. So the bills were all marked and ready to go. I’m not sure, but I’ve read that the serial numbers were logged when the demand came in. You may know more than I do about that.

Porteous: Did you actually see Cooper?

Bill Rataczak: No, I never did. He was in the back of the airplane. To my knowledge he never moved from the seat that he occupied in the very back row—until he was ready to leave the aircraft. At least two of the flight attendants saw him of course. Tina sat next to him. Florence Schaffner is the one who received the note from him after he boarded the airplane. This was the time when the jetway, as we called them, was just being put in place. (A ‘jetway’ is a telescoping corridor that extends from an airport terminal to an aircraft for the boarding of passengers.) Seattle had them. That was still an ongoing construction project at most airports. He boarded the airplane with all the other passengers through this jetway. I remember it was raining at the time. He sat in the back of the plane, and that’s where he gave Florence Schaffner the note.

Porteous: We showed Florence the picture we have of Christiansen, and she said it resembled the hijacker more than any other photo she has seen.

Bill Rataczak: Is Christiansen the Northwest employee?

Porteous: Yes, Kenneth Christiansen. Did you know him? (Rataczak and Christiansen worked for Northwest Airlines at the same time, although they worked different routes.)

Bill Rataczak: No, I have no recollection of it. We weren’t the largest airline at the time; I probably would have known his name. We didn’t have a lot of male flight attendants. I would guess that if I had flown with him I probably would have recalled his name—no, I have no recollection of that.

(Note from the authors: Northwest Airlines usually kept the same crews for the same routes, and other Northwest employees interviewed about Christiansen recalled little, if anything, about him. He was described as ‘quiet and polite’ by some, while others simply asked ‘Who?’ Christiansen mostly flew the Orient routes and only rarely the U.S. routes. He would often work eight days in a row and then be off work for up to fourteen days before being called up for another flight. In addition, NWA employees were sometimes either out on strike, or being laid off and later re-hired by the airline.)

Porteous: Do you think the FBI is handling this case properly?

Bill Rataczak: I’m not an FBI agent. It’s turned into a cold case, although now there is more interest again. I had differences with the FBI. I never verbally put it into Ralph Himmelsbach’s face, though. I felt the FBI was taking advantage of a captive audience in terms of the flight crew on the ground in Seattle. I’m firmly convinced that the FBI used delaying tactics when we requested refueling in the airplane. (This was later confirmed by the F.B.I.) The ground temperature was about thirty-four degrees while they were refueling the airplane. Jet fuel freezes at far less than that. We had a couple of episodes with the refueling operation that were very upsetting to us. When they sent in the first fuel truck, it had only a few gallons—I mean maybe 100 gallons or so in it, according to the ground crew. I got this from the person who was coordinating the refueling. Then the Flight Engineer turned around and said to me, “Bill, we took some fuel in, but now they’ve quit and we’ve barely got the needle to move.”

My immediate thought was that they were playing games; they were trying to figure out a way to open up the back steps and rush the hijacker. The steps were in the closed position. The only access to the aircraft was through the front door Cooper boarded, in front of first class between the cockpit and the first class section. I got on the phone and told them “What’s going on down there? You guys get us some fuel!”

They said to me, “Well, the truck ran out of gas, it ran out of fuel.”

“Who are you trying to kid? Would you get that truck out of there and get another one in here.”

“Well OK.”

And off they went. Then, pretty soon the engineer said, “OK, we’re getting fuel again.” Then the gauge started moving. “OK, that’s good.” I said. We had our own things to do on the flight deck. We had to get the maps and charts to Mexico, because that’s where Cooper told us at first he wanted to go, and those charts were not on board.

We had to make sure we were going to get those from someone on the ground. Meanwhile, we were coordinating with Tina in the back, who was with Cooper. Florence was up in the cockpit with us. When Flo brought the note up right after departure out of Portland, I told her to sit down in the observer’s seat behind the captain. I told Andy, the Flight Engineer, to give her a headset to listen to the radio and take notes. I had to show her where the clock was so she could put the times down—the clock was in Greenwich Time. That way if we keep her out of the loop, there was one less person as a hostage, so she was out of the loop.

We talked to Alice Hancock—she was Senior Stewardess, and she was sitting up in First Class. We told her to stay put. I made a public address and told everyone to stay in their seats, saying we had a minor mechanical problem—I didn’t elaborate. “Nothing should concern you. Just relax and please stay in your seats and don’t get up while the seat belt sign is on.” I told her that if she saw anybody get up in First Class, to put them back in their seats – forcibly if she had to. (All of the crew understood that the hijacker was not in First Class, but sitting in Coach at the very rear of the aircraft.) We discussed whether we should tell the passengers that we were being hijacked—the Captain suggested we should do so.

I said, “You know Scotty, I don’t think it’s a good idea. I know we picked up some good old Montana mountain boys and they’re pretty good sized, and they’re sitting up in first class and they were on their second or third martinis. We don’t need alcohol to add to the bravado of—that’s nothing to take away from Montana people, they’re some of the greatest people in the world,—we don’t need them to look at each other and say, ‘Hey, let’s go back and get a hijacker.’ So, everyone cooperated beautifully. We now had pretty much directed the two senior flight attendants Florence and Alice, in what their duties were. Florence was captive in the cockpit with us, and Alice was sitting in her jump seat in the first class section. Tina was back there with the hijacker—I got off on a tangent, I can’t remember your original question…

Porteous: No problem. I’m glad to hear the whole story.

Bill Rataczak: The fueling problem—if the FBI was doing their job, I can’t pass judgment, all I can give is anecdotal experiences that I recall from their involvement. After the first fuel truck got out of there and Andy told me that we’re taking fuel I said “Good.”

We began communicating with our technical people on the ground. We needed to know how that airplane was going to fly if the aft stairs were lowered in flight—is the airplane going to tip over, is it going to roll and what’s going on?

Interestingly, Boeing had tested that plane before it was certified in flight with the stairs down. So, I knew exactly what it was going to do and I can confirm that it did exactly what they told us it would do. It was a very stable introduction to our clean airplane when the stairs were lowered.

Anyway, then the second fuel truck came up and Andy said, “They quit taking fuel—the fuel is not coming onto the airplane.” I was getting ticked. I knew they were playing games this time—that’s my perception. I got on the interphone down to them, “What’s going on down there; what are you guys doing?” “Well, you know, the fuel valve froze up.”

“Pardon me, but it’s thirty-four degrees Fahrenheit out there. I happen to know jet fuel has a freezing point of forty degrees below zero. You guys quit playing games down there and stop screwing around.”

Finally, they brought a third fuel truck up there and started refueling. Whether it was the same truck I have no idea. We finally got the fuel and filled our tanks up to the top. We needed it; knowing that Cooper had demanded we fly with the flaps down and the gear down, and then he changed that a bit later and told us he wanted the flaps at fifteen degrees.

Obviously he had some knowledge about that airplane. In the first note he wanted the gear down, the flaps down. In the next note he wanted the flaps at fifteen. Well, that told us that he had done some homework along the way.

Let’s get back to this Christiansen guy—unless he had taken a keen interest—maybe he had gotten hold of an aircraft operating manual that showed the flap settings and the maximum speed that they implied. Flight attendants don’t get involved in that stuff.

Porteous: You know Kenny Christiansen was doing aircraft maintenance in the Aleutian Islands for Northwest Airlines before he became a flight attendant. He worked on those planes; he knew them intimately.

Bill Rataczak: That’s very interesting. I’m open for information that Kenny Christiansen, or I guess in this case his brother, would offer that would strengthen his case for being D.B. Cooper. Ralph Himmelsbach has said that he doesn’t think Cooper survived the jump. Then when you talk to people like Jo Weber and get some of those others in here, it makes you wonder what the truth is.

Porteous: I understand that the jump has been duplicated—in a 727 and a sky jumper has repeated this successfully. I’ve spoken to other sky jumpers and they’ve said that it could be easily done.

Bill Rataczak: I don’t deny that it could be done. Our speed was about 175 knots, or about 200 miles an hour. I don’t doubt that he could have survived the jump. I’m more concerned about the terrain. If he landed in those mountainous woods, he might not have been able to get himself out. Again, there’s always a way to do it. I would like to see the case solved, that’s for sure. I called Ralph Himmelsbach one time—Jo Weber was trying to get hold of him at the same time by calling us. Ralph wasn’t at home, though. Just a coincidence that our calls crossed like that. She left a message on our voicemail. I called Ralph later to see what he thought of my talking to her. Ralph and I have become good friends over the years, although we haven’t talked in four or five years now. I asked him what he thought about talking to her and he said don’t talk to her, she’s a nut case, and she has no credible evidence to lend to this case. After about another year, I finally called her back. I figured, what harm could it do? I still would like to meet her; I would like to get to Florida. Is she still in Florida?

Porteous: Yes, she’s in northern Florida, I think. The main weakness I see in her story is that she could not give any indication that Duane Weber had any parachuting experience. He showed her around where he walked out onto the road. Kenny Christiansen had parachuting experience in the Army.

Bill Rataczak: I don’t have the mind of a criminal. Would someone without jumping experience still undertake a hijacking when there was such a great deal of danger in the jump? I don’t know how much you’ve done on the psychology of this stuff—we had, just a month after our hijacking—Northwest had one where we had to send a crew down to Chicago O’Hare—I can’t remember the details of it. We had a psychologist get involved in it because he had interviewed hijackers. Of course, the hijacking I was involved in was unique because it was the first one that was done for money. The others always seemed to be someone wanting a ride somewhere for some political reason, like flying to Cuba. I don’t know if someone would try this without jump experience or not.

Porteous: I think some people are of the mind that it’s easy to jump from a plane—the parachute will open and away you go—I think they’re foolish to believe that.

Bill Rataczak: I think so, too. Another question I’ve been asked: ‘Did Cooper have eight sticks of dynamite?’ What was I going to do, go back there and challenge him? He said he did. As far as I’m concerned he did. We’re not law enforcement; we’re not skilled on how to apprehend someone. We have one way to get to them and that’s down the aisle. Our first and foremost objective is safety. That’s our primary objective of our operation, and to that end I feel very good about the job we did. We got everyone back safely, and we got the airplane back safely. So he got $200,000, big deal. As far as the FBI is concerned they had their mission. I’m sure they would have felt very badly if they had delayed our departure long enough out of Seattle to the point where he would have said to himself, ‘I’m going to connect these two wires, and then we’re all atomized.’ They did their job, and we did ours...'

Bill Rataczak retired from Northwest Airlines on June 30, 1999 at the age of sixty.

(Transcibed by Hannah Kanew at Sherlock Investigations, NY)

Robert says: Edited out two things. City where Jo Weber lives in Florida, and a personal reference to her that I thought shouldn't be posted on the internet)

(This post was edited by RobertMBlevins on Sep 2, 2012, 4:39 PM)

I will believe that conversation came down they way it is stated WHEN I hear the recording. Number one I do NOT know were hwy 1 or 2 are...and I assure you that the co-pilot knew I was talking about EAST of the Interstate & Eastward from the route mapped on the thread.

I haven't read your book, Blevins and NOW I know I do not want to. WHAT I do want is PROOF - a copy of the recording this supposed conversation is drafted from. Porteous didn't know my location in 2010 - other than what was in the news, but THE co-pilot did KNOW my location and prior to 2010! He was aware of the address change in 2002 and the new phone number. SO WHAT gives?

Blevins you have misused this information the same way you humiliated Geestman and others.
NOW I know you do NOT tell truths!
You FLOWER your story for the public!

NOW I know why you did NOT want me to talk to Geestman the woman who rode horses standing. NOW I KNOW.

Every question asked of the co-pilot was a leading question providing the answer you sought for only one purpose....to build a story.

One thing for a fact - I had already had a conversation with the Co-pilot in regards to the container. He and I described it to each other - each finishing the others sentence.

I will be asking Mr. Himmelsbach if he said those things about me - if he did then I am going to nail him on this.

Every Geestman in the US had to change their phone numbers because of YOU. You know I NEVER read you book...and if my address or contact information is in that book - woe is you. You can keep redoing your book - all I have to do is find someone who has an old copy!

I kept asking for the name of the woman who rode the horses standing and you never gave me an answer! YOU wanted her to go POOF! YOU are aware that "others" have been talking & have very bad opinions of you. You have alway been polite to me and for that reason it is HARD to do WHAT I must do.

Your report has been ignored!
I already have Geestman's contact information! Maybe I have already talked to him and know WHY you refused access to him and others.

They aren't sueing because of their age and privacy issues - it is the only reason you are walking.

Obviously you have NOT updated your contacts - how sad! You didn't tell them a woman whose husband claimed to have known them needed to ask a few questions. THAT IS BECAUSE U didn't want anyone talking to them!

EVickiW

***************"negotiable American currency",,

Only a foreigner would use that phrase..

Either this came from the hijacker or it didn't, when I was at the Museum symposium, Bruce was adamant that it didn't come from the hijacker,,, this is also problematic..

We know that everyone else was American, and no American would use that phrase, so it is even more difficult to explain the injection of that phrase into the narrative excluding the hijacker.

Some crazy thoughts,
Is it possible that the stewardess knew the hijacker OR subconsciously sensed that he was foreign causing the use of the phrase, "negotiable American currency"?

Northwest Orient Airline did fly some International routes, did the stewardess stay on domestic flights or travel internationally.. did she have experience with foreign passengers?

Did anyone else hear the hijacker speak?

from Kaye
"the most notable line to come out of the Cooper transcripts where passengers on the plane, including the flight attendants, stated that Cooper had no distinguishable accent"

Or ... he never said that!

READ THE THREAD.

It's old advice but you need to check FACTS BEFORE leaping to theory.

Facts vs myth. Hot button theory vs. actual research.

you miss the point, I STATED,, either the hijacker said it OR somebody added it,, WHY would somebody add it if they were American.. would an American add it to the narrative..

Why would any American add "American" to describe the currency.

and you sir miss the WHOLE POINT!

He never said it - period!

The issue is facts vs myths, in case you care.

:D

It's all supposition, of course, but to Flyjack's point, someone said it..... and he makes a valid observation that the crew has no reason to interject the word American.

Here are the references...

From the handwritten crew notes: "negotiable currency"
From the transcript: "He wants negotiable American currency. Denomination not important"
From ckret's post on Dropzone: "He asked for negotiable US currency"

Well it is a good thing someone asked for negotiable or negotiable american currency. It would have made the jump more difficult with $200,000 worth of gold bars.

Especially since the gold vault was empty!

Matt

(sorry- couldn't resist :P it seems it fits this thread though)
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

quade

Keep it civil or it's all going to be trashed.

If you'd like to discuss this topic without my moderation, Yahoo.com makes "groups" all day long. Feel free to use them.

Hey Quade, You are again the winner of the "Most Hollow Threat of the Year Award" here on dropzone.com. Great job doing nothing! You're one of the best at it.