47 47
quade

DB Cooper

Blevins wrote:

(heavy use of titanium in ships)

Not that I've seen. Lots of stainless and aluminum on boats but titanium is too expensive to use on commercial vessels where weight isnt a huge factor.

Geestman worked on Foss tugs. I doubt if they had any titanium on them pre 1971. Tugs of that era were not about weight, they were about power and strength. If you don't care about weight, steel is a lot cheaper, very strong and much much easier to work with as far as welding and machining goes.

As I recall Tom said it was pure, not alloyed, titanium which shoud narrow the source down.

The Navy can afford titanium, after all they spend not earn. Profit doesnt matter:

United States: The University of New Orleans has been awarded a three-year US$4.8 million grant from the Office of Naval Research to advance the science and technology of titanium shipbuilding.

The research will be focused on the manufacturability and structural performance of a titanium mid-ship section. Both material requirements and advanced welding processes, such as high-speed MIG welding and friction stir welding, will be investigated for applications in titanium ship hull construction.

Math-based design for fabrication techniques will be developed to support both build strategy and construction of a titanium mid-ship section from piece part fabrication and interim production definition to final structural assembly of a titanium mid-ship section.

Titanium alloys offer many advantages for ship hull applications compared to traditional structural steels and aluminum alloys. For example, titanium alloys are more resistant to corrosion, have a high strength-to-weight ratio and a high resistance to fatigue.

I've read on websites that titanium is used in marine engines but I never come across it in commercial diesels back in the DBC era. Tug engines of that era were big brute diesels that did not turn high RPMs. EMD, ALCO, Sulzer and others made them. Sure you could make titanium pistons and save a little fuel but I never saw it done in that class of engine.

The only place I saw titanium used was in brine chillers on tuna boats because it had spectacular corrosion resistance which was needed to work in super saturated salt water.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Please guys - COOL it! Please
PRETTY PLEASE! This is what shut down the thread before!

I 2nd the Motion...all in favor?

Hey Grumpy d00ds~

...ever hear about the time the guy that owns the site shut the WHOLE THING down for a couple/few days because he rightfully felt several certain individuals MUST be loosing their minds to be acting so idiotic on the internet?!

It was a good move in my opinion, got people to get away from the keyboard of hate and get a little perspective.

There REALLY ARE people reading through this stuff that are interested in the known facts as well as the possible theories...the idiotically childish bickering & blatant personal attacks add less than nothing.

They take away credibility and respect for anything 'else' you add to the thread of a positive nature.

Stuff on the net is kinda there forEVER, ya really want folks years from now paging through thinkin'

~ 'What An Asshole' :)

Well, you tried, it didn't even last one post.
:S

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Jo writes in post #402044:

I believe that once the negative elements of the thread are told to stand down that there can actually be some progress made.

I STAND by that statement!

Jo writes in post #402045:

This was my problem with Carr.
It was assumed by the general public when he said something it was true - JUST SO NOT RIGHT!

A thread suggested a comic and he makes it part of the FBI profile on Cooper! What does this say about the investigative skills of the FBI and one agents ability to judge right from wrong?

:D:P:(>:([:/]:o:D:D
Robert the kind of trivia you are picking on is exactly what is wrong right now. It is everyone trying to PICK apart in segments what others are trying to say or do say. THIS IS WHAT THIS FORUM NEEDS TO GET AWAY FROM!

You can be part of a pro-active action going forward or you can live in the past! Your last few posts have been of this same nature. I will call it - (Let's pick apart Jo).

I am certainly NOT being negative at this point or have you even bothered to notice.

Any posts I make are my own deduction from my research and what others write and say. One thing for sure - I do not fabricate evidence or make up things for the sake of a "story".

What I know and post about Weber is the truth and so far NO one has been able to provide any supporting evidence to the contrary.

If you will note my last posts have NOT been about Weber. Now it is taking the information the thread has been provided for the last few yrs and sort it out in an orderly manner without any of us having to make replies such as this one to set the record straight.

I do NOT and have NEVER expected anyone to accept my posts as the absolute truth considering the evidence or the case - only what I write about what I WITNESSED and WHAT I WAS TOLD and MY opinions about what the summary of that means. All so what I saw with my own eyes and held in my own hands.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

From Toms website:

Fact: All titanium used in aircraft is alloyed and the Cooper material was pure titanium.
Interpretation: Due to the lack of alloyed titanium, Cooper did not work in the aircraft industry.

Fact: Spiral chips of aluminum and other exotic metals like bismuth and stainless steel were found on the tie.
Fact: Spiral aluminum chips of the type found on the tie are made in metal fabrication plants that use lathes and drill presses.
Interpretation: Cooper worked in or had access to, an exotic metal fabrication facility that contained titanium, aluminum and other specialty metals.

Fact: All titanium used in aircraft is alloyed and the Cooper material was pure titanium.
Interpretation: Due to the lack of alloyed titanium, Cooper did not work in the aircraft industry.

emphasis supplied.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Bismuth is used in sleeve bearings. Some was found on Cooper's alleged tie. It is a constituent in Babbit bearing materials, types 10, 11 and 12, but only .08%

From Wikipredia

Bismuth has few commercial applications, none of which is particularly large. Taking the US as an example, 884 tonnes of bismuth were consumed in 2010, of which 63% went into chemicals (including pharmaceuticals, pigments, and cosmetics), 26% into metallurgical additives for casting and galvanizing,[54] 7% into bismuth alloys, solders and ammunition, and the balance into research and other uses.[45]

Some manufacturers use Bismuth as a substitute in equipment for potable water systems such as valves to meet "lead-free" mandates in the U.S. (starts in 2014). This is a fairly large application since it covers all residential and commercial building construction.

In the early 1990s, researchers began to evaluate bismuth as a nontoxic replacement for lead in various applications.

I still wonder if Norman's chutes were contaminated with shavings and other residue from his machine shop and picked up by Cooper's tie when he handled the chute.

Bruce, any chance of re-engaging Norman and asking him whether he worked with pure (not alloyed) titanium and some of the other metals found by Tom?

Well ... we can discuss these things if EVER GIVEN THE
CHANCE!

The answers I would give are very specific,
semi-technical, but easily explainable. This isn't
rocket science'!

Most of this was presented, discussed, and explained
before, years ago ...

The major problem with what has been presented on the thread has been seeing it drowned in the gobbly gook which all of us are quilty of having contributed to.

It would be nice if all of the postings would stay on one subject allowing it to be fully understood - pros and cons.

Understood that this WAS discussed at a later date, but there was so much intervention and bantering - that there is no longer a concize statement or presentation about the research done on the money. Questions asked and Questions answered are lost withing the Gobbly gook of myself and others.

Ideas and opinions where bouncing off the wall in the thread and the facts of the study were buried beneath all of that.

Of course myself and others came to defend "our cause" and that did not help. I just want to see the thread become the GO TO site for studies about the actual crime and a reliable place everyone can go explore this old crime.

I am trying to turn this thread around and I wish others would follow suit instead of attacking and tearing everyone down and promoting there own cause.

[:/]
Delayed PS

Note, I go to the 1st unread post by me and then answer them as I go. It seems that 377 has addressed all of this in the prior posts above. Thank you.

Rereading my post above I will let it stand! So very GLAD that most of you are trying to follow self-imposed rules. Let's make this the BEST ever GO TO post for Cooper!

This was an article quoted by Blevins and I have made bold and highlighted ONE thing that STANDS OUT - Loud and Clear.

'Oregon Metallurgical Company, known as Oremet, is one of only two companies in the United States that produce titanium sponge, the pure form of the rare metal used to produce titanium alloys for use in manufacturing. The company also forges titanium products for aerospace, medical, electronics, and other applications. Although nearly half of the company's sales in 1996 were for commercial or military aerospace applications, Oremet also was the leading provider of titanium for use in the manufacture of golf clubs, which accounted for 20 percent of sales. The Albany, Oregon-based company operates titanium metals service centers in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, and Canada through Titanium Industries, Inc., an 80 percent-owned subsidiary. The only other U.S. producer of titanium sponge is Denver-based Titanium Metals Corporation, the industry leader...'

So glad I never ever sold that set of Clubs Duane got on a special trip to Vail or Aspen. He made me sit in the car when he went into the shop. If you guys will check back on a post I made yrs ago - I mentioned these Golf Clubs - now do not remember were we went. They were Custom Made for Duane by someone he used to know! He did NOT allow me to go with him into the shop and since that was all we were doing at that time - I stayed in the car.

Golf Clubs! How interesting that Blevins brought this up. I think we discussed it before.

Were in the world would someone wear a tie while working with metal other than in a HIGH END RESORT and making clubs for the elite...even if he removed the tie - the remanents would be all over it?

Normally someone working with that kind of equipment DOES not wear a tie. If he took it off and on - and if the shop catered to HIGH END. If he made the Clubs right there - when measuring the height of the person and their stance!

I do not remember the time frame of the trip - since I took no pictures - I do not remember. The trip was specifically to go deliver something to a friend and he returned with the clubs. WE parked across the street. I do not believe I went into a shop anywhere, but it was OFF season - things were quiet. I may just have curled up and went to sleep. Do not remember the day or the month. I remember the streets where quiet.

Were in the world would someone wear a tie while working with metal other than in a HIGH END RESORT and making clubs for the elite...even if he removed the tie - the remanents would be all over it?

Normally someone working with that kind of equipment DOES not wear a tie. If he took it off and on - and if the shop catered to HIGH END. If he made the Clubs right there - when measuring the height of the person and their stance.

Don't jump to conclusions. This subject has been discussed at length here. If you thought anyone working in a machine shop was forbidden to wear a normal ever day type tie then you are mistaken.

Tom Kaye probably still has some pictures on his web page of typical people working in a typical machine shop and wearing a standard tie (not the quick on/off type Cooper was wearing).

Tom's pictures toss the Cooper tie question right out the window. Cooper's tie selection was not conclusive of his job or employment.

Robert99

Don't jump to conclusions. This subject has been discussed at length here. If you thought anyone working in a machine shop was forbidden to wear a normal ever day type tie then you are mistaken.

Robert99

I did not say anything about a machine shop. I was talking a high end custom made golf shop in a high end district - VAIL or ASPEN.

I no longer have a link for he site you are referring to. I went there a few times and I never found the discussion indicated in this thread - so maybe I didn't go to the right SITE!

Please provide a link to the site.

The imprinting on the shaft of the club:

A slanted box angling to the right, with what appears to be a lightening bolt in it.

True Temper
Finest Quality
Made in the USA
Personal Model.

I believe they if my memory serves me Persimon Woods.

Robert99

I did not say anything about a machine shop. I was talking a high end custom made golf shop in a high end district - VAIL or ASPEN.

I no longer have a link for he site you are referring to. I went there a few times and I never found the discussion indicated in this thread - so maybe I didn't go to the right SITE!

A slanted box angling to the right, with what appears to be a lightening bolt in it.

True Temper
Finest Quality
Made in the USA
Personal Model.

Jo, Just exactly how do you think golf clubs, especially the metal parts, are made? Please update those of use who haven't seen a golf club in a week or two.

Also, it might be helpful if you explained what you mean by "a high end custom made golf shop in a high end district". Do you mean high quality clubs or that the clubs were just made at a high altitude such as in Vail and Aspen?

For a link to Tom Kaye's web page, take a look at the post earlier this evening by 377, which you probably read to get the idea about the golf clubs.

Robert99

My guess is that the silver comes from the chemical used by the FBI to dust for prints.

QUIZ:

Q: What was the silver nitrate bearing solution the FBI
used to spray on some Cooper bills, to test for finger
prints, using a silver nitrate solution ?

A: silver nitrate.
[This was all stated yesterday several times in case you missed it...]

Q: Who released the news of the FBI having used
silver nitrate solution to test for finger prints on the
Cooper bills in 1980 ?

A: (possible answers):

a. Silver Nitrate
b. Ckret
c. Georger
d. Tom Kaye
e. Dichromate(VI) ions
f. Jerry Thomas
g. Brian Ingram
h. Sluggo
i. all of the above

Tom's pictures toss the Cooper tie question right out the window. Cooper's tie selection was not conclusive of his job or employment.

Robert99

In the Jurassic period of this thread you mentioned
and named a munitions test site just east of V23,
between Ariel and BTG east, where people presumably
made and tested munitions. I thought that was
possibly interesting in terms of the particles found on
the tie ?

One of the problems with the tie evidence is the question of how many people handled it between 1971 and when Kaye and his team were allowed to examine it. For now, I think I can go with the idea that any exotic metals present on it should be granted an exception: That they didn't end up there as a result of touching by someone in the FBI. You could go down that road all day and it would solve nothing. Might want to ask Kaye's opinion on whether at least some of the particles were embedded in such a way that might preclude simple touching as the reason for their presence.

You could open a new column on Newsvine titled:
DB Cooper Science ! Jump start the Inevitable.

Robert99

True Temper
Finest Quality
Made in the USA
Personal Model.

Jo, Just exactly how do you think golf clubs, especially the metal parts, are made? Please update those of use who haven't seen a golf club in a week or two.

Also, it might be helpful if you explained what you mean by "a high end custom made golf shop in a high end district". Do you mean high quality clubs or that the clubs were just made at a high altitude such as in Vail and Aspen?

For a link to Tom Kaye's web page, take a look at the post earlier this evening by 377, which you probably read to get the idea about the golf clubs.

Robert99

It was something in Blevins posted regarding Tom's site & maybe not on Tom's site. Yea, I found the site after I made the post.

By high end - I mean CUSTOM MADE. Please LEAVE me ALONE.
Do NOT reply to my post! LEAVE ME ALONE!

[RED]FOR YOUR INFORMATION I TOLD ABOUT THOSE GOLF CLUBS AND THE SHOP BEFORE I EVER HAD A COMPUTER AND I CAN PROVE THAT![/RED]

Have you ever owned a set of custom made Clubs? The shaft is cut for the persons build and height!

Robert99

the tie ?

Are you sure that was me? I didn't know there was such a facility in the Vancouver area.

Robert99

Blevins quoted this below from one of his sources:

'Oregon Metallurgical Company, known as Oremet, is one of only two companies in the United States that produce titanium sponge, the pure form of the rare metal used to produce titanium alloys for use in manufacturing. The company also forges titanium products for aerospace, medical, electronics, and other applications. Although nearly half of the company's sales in 1996 were for commercial or military aerospace applications, Oremet also was the leading provider of titanium for use in the manufacture of golf clubs, which accounted for 20 percent of sales. The Albany, Oregon-based company operates titanium metals service centers in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, and Canada through Titanium Industries, Inc., an 80 percent-owned subsidiary. The only other U.S. producer of titanium sponge is Denver-based Titanium Metals Corporation, the industry leader...'

Do you really think Blevins made that up? NO he didn't!

Robert99

the tie ?

Are you sure that was me? I didn't know there was such a facility in the Vancouver area.

Robert99

Maybe it was Smokin99 ? Let me go back and find it
- I saved the post and did a Google map search at
the time and saved it ... but it interested me at the
time. Its a wild card ...

Some armor piercing shells back then had Ti and
Uranium alloy covered tips. Has anyone bothered to
see if any of those particles are 'hot' ? I doubt it.

Let me find the original post...

From the ever resourceful Snowmman:

Interesting, reasonable source for bismuth being near
titanium:

Titanium turnings may be contaminated with lead or
bismuth, which are in the brazing alloy that is often
used to fix a boss onto a piece of titanium prior to
machining it.

http://www.metallurgvanadium.com/titaniumpage.html

You say:

"I found the tie-tanium evidence that Tom and his crew discovered very interesting. I always wondered if it could have come from Norman's machine shop where at least two of the Cooper chutes once resided or passed through. If that's true then it probably gives no clue about where Cooper worked as it didnt come from his workplace."

I talked with Tom Kaye about the fragments on DB's tie and mentioned that the lab at Boeing that did the research for the SST airplane was in the 9-101 building on the main floor and their tub skids with throwaway metals were in the hallways. Sheridan Peterson's office was on the second floor of the same building and he had to pass the tub skids while going to his office, then to the cafateria, and going home each day. He could have easily looked into one of the tub skids and his tie would have dropped in and picked up Titanium/Aluminum machine curly cues (very small ones and not visible without a microscope). I also looked into those tub skids at times as there was always some interesting stuff being thrown away. That shop was where machining and welding processes were developed for the SST program. I believe it is highly likely that he would have drug his tie through one of the tub skids while working in the Manual and Handbooks Group on the second floor.

You mention the cirgrette butts that the FBI should find on analize for DNA. However, the DNA from under the stamps/envelope flaps of the four letters sent to the new papers following the DB Caper would blow this case wide open. "The smoking gun".

Bob Sailshaw
[email protected]

Robert99

the tie ?

Robert99

Maybe it was Smokin99 ? Let me go back and find it
- I saved the post and did a Google map search at
the time and saved it ... but it interested me at the
time. Its a wild card ...

Some armor piercing shells back then had Ti and
Uranium alloy covered tips. Has anyone bothered to
see if any of those particles are 'hot' ? I doubt it.

Let me find the original post...

"Depeleted Uranium" is used in the shells of some current ground support aircraft, such as the A-10 Warthog. They are claimed to be effective against tanks and heavy armor and are used in the A-10's Gatling Gun. Claims have also been made about health problems in personnel who handle those shells.

Robert99

Blevins quoted this below from one of his sources:

Do you really think Blevins made that up? NO he didn't!

Jo, You continue to amaze and mystify me. Are you claiming that I said that Titanium was not used in golf clubs? If so, then you need to eat your own crow.

If you would bother to read the posts, including your own, then you might discover that the original posts related to machine shops and the machining of Titanium. Not whether it was used in golf clubs.

Robert99

a munitions test site just east of V23,
the tie ?

Robert99

I evidently failed to save the post and the Google
map, and all searches haven't found it. Just one more
example of how impossible it's become to function
here -

I know I replied to the post. Let me search further
when I get time ... if its even worth spending time on
which it probably isn't.

Take care.

ps: cant find it. all I can find is RobertMBlevins shit.
He has so polluted this thread hardly anything is
easily searchable now. Its time to basically give up.
It no longer matters -