47 47
quade

DB Cooper

Mr Shutter wrote

what condition do you think anything linked to Cooper would look like after being in the elements 40+ years? how much metal is on it and what would be the condition of that metal?

If he went in as a no pull the stainless steel ripcord cable would last for centuries. If he pulled and tossed the ripcord, same outcome, but harder to find if separated from the harness and container. The cadmium plated metal hardware on the Navy harness would be intact for far longer than Cooper has been missing. Hard to say about the fabric material since its longevity can vary so much in different environments. UV rips that stuff up fast.

UV in a mixed Alder-Douglas Fir- Western Hemlock-Western Red Cedar FOREST in the Pacific NorthWET???? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The harness and even a good percentage of the canopy would be quite fine thank you.:ph34r:

is any metal on the canopy? again still very hard to locate after so much time has passed.....B|

Starting at the harness and working up to the pilot chute, the four risers would be connected to the harness by seperable links, which you could consider to be either part of the canopy system or the harness.

Personnel in the Portland area have told me that the NB-6 Cooper used had the shroud lines sewn to the risers, so no seperable links would be used there.

Thus the only metal associated with the actual canopy would be in the pilot chute. This would include the normal pilot chute spring and a small "pyramid" type stud attachment that is mounted at the very bottom of the pilot chute and, when the pilot chute spring is completely compressed, this stud projects through the center of the spring and emerges out the top of the pilot chute.

The compressed spring is then placed on top of the folded canopy and the stud projects through both flaps of the container and is locked in place by the third pin in the rip cord.

The NB-6 parachute cannot open under normal circumstances unless the rip cord is pulled.

Robert99

Full picture of the NB6 Navy attached.

Right... unmodified.

You would not have found many of those around a dropzone at the time. First stop would have been the rigging loft to add and subtract "stuff" from the harness AND the container to make it into the typical "cheapo" back in the day.
( I had several and I STILL have several in my "loft")

If the container is made of nylon, some of it might be intact, but only scraps. Estimates differ, but nylon is often quoted at 30-40 years minimum to biodegrade.

The shit does not rot from the usual bugs and fungi so it does not bio-degrade. UV is nylons nemesis.. and we are in VERY short supply of that in Western Washington for 9 months of the year.. and under a forest canopy of 100' to 200' trees... damn near non existent.

I have an oft used term about living here... in Western Washington we do not tan... we RUST.

Come on, you are cherry-picking. Certain parameters would have to be set to establish any possible LZ's for Cooper. One parameter might be this: The official version of the flight path is correct and the Tina Bar money didn't end up on Tina Bar as a result of the hijacker landing nearby. That's one. Everyone knows they found the money, too in addition to the placard. :S I didn't mention it because it's off the FBI's flight path. The reason I said 640 acres is 'about' a square mile is because some joker would probably post up that it was actually 640.0001 square miles. That's what people do around here sometimes.

I think Carlos Castenada was full of baloney. The three women he shacked up with for years all went missing after he died, (one was later found dead) there's been fights over his will, and at one point he claimed 'shapeshifting' could be acheived through peyote ceremonies somehow...and other things. The guy is a mystery, but I wouldn't quote anything he says as truth. They'll never figure him out, in any case. :S He's more of a mystery than Cooper, I swear.

Blevins, You claiming others are cherry picking? Please!

And you also saying that the FBI is right about the flight path? Are they right about KC? Maybe you and Jo Weber should join forces on these matters.

Robert99

Mr Shutter wrote

what condition do you think anything linked to Cooper would look like after being in the elements 40+ years? how much metal is on it and what would be the condition of that metal?

If he went in as a no pull the stainless steel ripcord cable would last for centuries. If he pulled and tossed the ripcord, same outcome, but harder to find if separated from the harness and container. The cadmium plated metal hardware on the Navy harness would be intact for far longer than Cooper has been missing. Hard to say about the fabric material since its longevity can vary so much in different environments. UV rips that stuff up fast.

UV in a mixed Alder-Douglas Fir- Western Hemlock-Western Red Cedar FOREST in the Pacific NorthWET???? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The harness and even a good percentage of the canopy would be quite fine thank you.:ph34r:

is any metal on the canopy? again still very hard to locate after so much time has passed.....B|

Starting at the harness and working up to the pilot chute, the four risers would be connected to the harness by seperable links, which you could consider to be either part of the canopy system or the harness.

Personnel in the Portland area have told me that the NB-6 Cooper used had the shroud lines sewn to the risers, so no seperable links would be used there.

Thus the only metal associated with the actual canopy would be in the pilot chute. This would include the normal pilot chute spring and a small "pyramid" type stud attachment that is mounted at the very bottom of the pilot chute and, when the pilot chute spring is completely compressed, this stud projects through the center of the spring and emerges out the top of the pilot chute.

The compressed spring is then placed on top of the folded canopy and the stud projects through both flaps of the container and is locked in place by the third pin in the rip cord.

The NB-6 parachute cannot open under normal circumstances unless the rip cord is pulled.

Robert99

Ok, I'll admit I didn't consider the durability of the metal on the packs, but, once again
if we have a no pull situation we can now narrow the metal down to cubic feet in a
very large search area correct? and time or nature would have buried Cooper in the 40+
years he has been out there? extremely hard to find with little to go on B|
"It is surprising how aggressive people get, once they latch onto their suspect and say, 'Hey, he's our guy.' No matter what you tell them, they refuse to believe you" Agent Carr FBI

Mr Shutter wrote

Robert99

Ok, I'll admit I didn't consider the durability of the metal on the packs, but, once again
if we have a no pull situation we can now narrow the metal down to cubic feet in a
very large search area correct? and time or nature would have buried Cooper in the 40+
years he has been out there? extremely hard to find with little to go on B|

Very little burial.... each windstorm knocks off leaves.. needles and some branches... but with it being as wet as it is.. that "forest duff" DOES bio-degrade rapidly... it just does not add up to much volume because of the biological components found in a forest.. bugs... bacteria.. and fungi.. that thrive on that stuff.

Right... unmodified.

You would not have found many of those around a dropzone at the time. First stop would have been the rigging loft to add and subtract "stuff" from the harness AND the container to make it into the typical "cheapo" back in the day.
( I had several and I STILL have several in my "loft")

In the late 1960s, I regularly flew a sports aircraft that had an extremely tight fitting cockpit. A standard 28 foot backpack parachute was extremely uncomfortable in that cockpit and some flight times were in the 6 to 7 hour time range.

So I told my problems to a rigger and he spent a month or two just finding an NB-6 for me. And the day he found it, we popped it and he gave me a list of things to do to the container to improve the comfort. I followed his instructions and still owned the chute in early November 1971 when it was included in the sale of the aircraft that I had been flying with it.

D.B. Cooper was only a week or two later.

Robert99

I'm hardly an expert about the rear stairs, but I find it strange that only one
pressure bump was felt in the entire flight? it maybe apples and oranges here
but have you seen a trunk open going down a bumpy road? open close, open
close? no turbulence could cause this to happen? and yet nothing happened
past Merwin Lake area all the way to Reno not registering anything while the
door remains in a semi open position? or did they disregard anything past that
point? I seen mention of this way back in the thread....
"It is surprising how aggressive people get, once they latch onto their suspect and say, 'Hey, he's our guy.' No matter what you tell them, they refuse to believe you" Agent Carr FBI

Blevins writes:

640 acres is a lot of area for a possible search. That's roughly the equivelent of one square mile.

R99 replies:

For your information, 640 acres is EXACTLY one square mile.

Blevins writes:

1) The placard was found, but nothing else. And the other items are BIGGER.

2) The area of the dropzone is heavily used at all times of the year by hunters, fishermen, hikers, Boy Scouts, mushroom hunters, (they go EVERYWHERE) four-wheelers, campers, loggers, etc.

3) If anyone actually found something that could be verified as 100% Cooper-related, they could end up collecting a lot of money like Brian Ingram did with the Tina Bar money.

4) Might be able to determine whether the hijacker lived or died. If the item(s) were purposely buried, but no body is around, then you have to assume he probably lived.

5) Might give clues to the identity of the hijacker.

6) Might even find the hijacker himself, or what is left of him, at the same spot.

7) The parachute, briefcase, (hopefully) phony bomb, and Cooper went SOMEWHERE. Chances are low that if Cooper survived he actually tried to pack out those items. If not, then they are still in the woods.

8) If you were able to narrow down the search to a few select spots, the chances are greater someone would eventually find SOMETHING.

R99 replies:

From the above it might be a good idea for Blevins to look at the data.

Something else was found. Can you name it?

On the matter of the brief case and the "bomb", of what use were they to Cooper once Tina went to the cockpit? Would "absolutely nothing" be a reasonable answer?

RB: Sure. Then where ARE these items?

On the matter of drop zones, what is the location of the one you are referring to? Search anywhere you want, but you won't find Cooper without looking at his actual jump point.

RB: (Best bet might be to start with the time the crew says the light went off and then back on for the airstairs)

Your whole jump zone scenario reminds me of a story from, I think, a book by Carlos Castenada. On the last two or three pages of that book (pages 125-127, I believe), Castenada explains that the characters in his book didn't find the cities of gold, for which they had been searching, because those cities never existed in the first place. Castenada then explains that they DID find a beautiful place to search for their dreams.

Dream on.

Robert99

Come on, you are cherry-picking. Certain parameters would have to be set to establish any possible LZ's for Cooper. One parameter might be this: The official version of the flight path is correct and the Tina Bar money didn't end up on Tina Bar as a result of the hijacker landing nearby. That's one. Everyone knows they found the money, too in addition to the placard. :S I didn't mention it because it's off the FBI's flight path. The reason I said 640 acres is 'about' a square mile is because some joker would probably post up that it was actually 640.0001 square miles. That's what people do around here sometimes.

I think Carlos Castenada was full of baloney. The three women he shacked up with for years all went missing after he died, (one was later found dead) there's been fights over his will, and at one point he claimed 'shapeshifting' could be acheived through peyote ceremonies somehow...and other things. The guy is a mystery, but I wouldn't quote anything he says as truth. They'll never figure him out, in any case. :S He's more of a mystery than Cooper, I swear.

I just have to lol:D. First of all, once again, you have hijacked another's ideas ..actually a couple of peoples......and proceed like you just discovered a cure for Herpes. :D I don't dislike you, nor are you my venom magnet, though I am convinced that you have no shame :S. Just beats all is what I'm saying. Oh well.

Others have mentioned that the best place to start might be where the primary find was found,
...or by extrapolating an area in relation to a probable flight path, what the crew felt and where the placard was found. Then I would thinkg you'd have to add in parachute drift, wind direction, then a lot of what if this and what if that. Hell this is starting to sound real familiar.
Get the web site started and the bus cranked for the all inclusive Cooper Caper adventure dig.

Second - just an fyi....I believe that "figuring out" the whole Carlos Castenada thing would hardly be possible by reading a bio blurb off of the internet. Takes years of enlightenment and copious quantities of 3M.......(mescaline, marijuana, and mushroom tea).......or so I'm told. I imagine with the drugs he was taking shapeshifting would have been a relatively simple concept. B|:)
but....A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.....Winston Churchill

"Very little burial"
what about the eruption on May 18, 1980 and what the ash covered and burned?

Good question. Fortunately, the majority of the ash went east or north of Mount St Helens. Especially east. I was up on Darland Mountain last year and the ash there is four inches deep. I haven't seen the same thing south of Merwin Lake. They probably just got a dusting, like some of the other places out of the wind direction.

I had a junk pile of wood behind my house when I moved in around 2003, there is still several 2x4's back there that have since sunk into the yard, I mow right over them, you can't see them now, but they were visible in 2003????

" I don't believe you'll find Cooper or any artifacts near where the placard was discovered. Occam might say the placard flew away the moment the airstairs were opened."

the stairs were activated 5-6 minutes into the flight waaaay before the location of the place card,........

Blevins writes:

There is going to be a certain amount of guesswork involved determining any possible landing locations.

R99 replies:

And just who is going to do the guessing?

Blevins writes:

Placard: I don't believe you'll find Cooper or any artifacts near where the placard was discovered. Occam might say the placard flew away the moment the airstairs were opened.

R99 replies:

Isn't the placard an artifact in this respect? And what does that last sentence mean?

Blevins writes:

We know the stairs only dropped 24-36" after they were opened. So...*surprise* for Cooper. Jet is moving along at three miles a minute or so. You need to know how long between the first moment the indicator light came on...and then later, when it flashed off and then back on for good...for that moment on the engineer's panel. That would most likely be the jump point.

R99 replies:

Could you amplify on just exactly what is logical about the above comments?

Blevins writes:

Sure, this is nothing new. But in order to create some possibles within reason, you have to come to certain agreements even if some of it is guesswork to a degree.

R99 replies:

Whose "possibles within reason" and what "certain agreements even if some of it is guesswork to a degree"?

Blevins, You are only trying to substitute your judgment for the judgment of other people.

Basically, the only thing needed is the geographical position of the point where Cooper jumped. If you actually know the flight path and the time Cooper jumped, then the problem is essentially solved. Unfortunately, neither is known with the required accuracy so other means must be used.

Robert99

"Very little burial"

Good question. Fortunately, the majority of the ash went east or north of Mount St Helens. Especially east. I was up on Darland Mountain last year and the ash there is four inches deep. I haven't seen the same thing south of Merwin Lake. They probably just got a dusting, like some of the other places out of the wind direction.

I had a junk pile of wood behind my house when I moved in around 2003, there is still several 2x4's back there that have since sunk into the yard, I mow right over them, you can't see them now, but they were visible in 2003????

As I a kid I spent many an hour in a boatyard in Florida... if you set ANY kind of wood on the ground... you would find a queen termite under there in VERY short order.. like the next morning:D

Placard: I don't believe you'll find Cooper or any artifacts near where the placard was discovered. Occam might say the placard flew away the moment the airstairs were opened.

The placard's location and its relative position to when the door was opened aside, how would "Occam say" this.
Occam's Razor is not an absolute - it merely provides a guideline that, all other things being equal, simple explanations should be looked at before more complex ones. It doesn't say that the simpler explanation is the correct one. i.e, if you hear hoofbeats behind you in South Ga, it's probably horses and not zebras. If, on the other hand you happen to be in Africa, then all bets are off.

One could even go as far to say that the simpler explanation for the placard being gone is that someone ripped it off or knocked it off, rather than it blowing away right when the door opened. I don't know the answer and neither do you, but you have arbitrarily decided that this is not to be considered when looking at a search site. Call me confused, but this might be why you won't be asked to lead the expedition. :)
but....A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.....Winston Churchill

"Very little burial"

As I a kid I spent many an hour in a boatyard in Florida... if you set ANY kind of wood on the ground... you would find a queen termite under there in VERY short order.. like the next morning:D

this is pressure treated wood, no signs of the critters, just overgrown into the landscape B|

Happy New Year, everyone.

Hmm. Supposed to be a nice neighborhood where I live, but last night I heard a lot of gunshots going off. Not that hard to determine the difference between fireworks and pistol shots. None of the bullets came my way, so whatever...:|

640 acres is a lot of area for a possible search. That's roughly the equivelent of one square mile. The reasons I suggested trying to pick out a few possible landing spots for Cooper...and then posting the maps for those spots publicly...were these:

1) The placard was found, but nothing else, at least on the 'official' flight path. And the other items are BIGGER.

2) The area of the dropzone is heavily used at all times of the year by hunters, fishermen, hikers, Boy Scouts, mushroom hunters, (they go EVERYWHERE) four-wheelers, campers, loggers, etc.

3) If anyone actually found something that could be verified as 100% Cooper-related, they could end up collecting a lot of money like Brian Ingram did with the Tina Bar money.

4) Might be able to determine whether the hijacker lived or died. If the item(s) were purposely buried, but no body is around, then you have to assume he probably lived.

6) Might even find the hijacker himself, or what is left of him, at the same spot.

7) The parachute, briefcase, (hopefully) phony bomb, and Cooper went SOMEWHERE. Chances are low that if Cooper survived he actually tried to pack out those items. If not, then they are still in the woods.

8) If you were able to narrow down the search to a few select spots, the chances are greater someone would eventually find SOMETHING.

Another Weather Underground entry for 11/24/1971. This one is for Olympia, WA. Close to some of the others for that date. Wind speed was down at 8PM, temperature above freezing at ground level, winds SSW. If Cooper jumped somewhere south of the Merwin Lake Dam, then the flight path indicates he could have landed near Amboy...same place they found the chute in 2008. Both 377 and I have a theory that Cooper simply pulled the ripcord on the stairs and let the chute pull him away from the aircraft. If this theory were true, there would be a fair amount of wind drift on the way down.

As some of you know, I am not fully convinced that the Amboy chute isn't Cooper's. This is why, if you haven't seen it. Not saying it IS the chute, just saying the Seattle FBI was a bit lax on that investigation. Remember...these are the same folks who later put up Marla Cooper as a 'viable witness,' but let's not go into that right now. :S

So...I still think the spot where the chute was found should be arbitrarily set as one of the possible square-mile landing zones. Just in case.

As usual Blevins, you have the most to write but the least to say. That's typical of one who is uninformed and ignorant on so many things and on so many fronts. New ground search? Really think that one through now. MeyerLouie

Happy New Year, everyone.

Hmm. Supposed to be a nice neighborhood where I live, but last night I heard a lot of gunshots going off. Not that hard to determine the difference between fireworks and pistol shots. None of the bullets came my way, so whatever...:|

640 acres is a lot of area for a possible search. That's roughly the equivelent of one square mile. The reasons I suggested trying to pick out a few possible landing spots for Cooper...and then posting the maps for those spots publicly...were these:

1) The placard was found, but nothing else, at least on the 'official' flight path. And the other items are BIGGER.

Another Weather Underground entry for 11/24/1971. This one is for Olympia, WA. Close to some of the others for that date. Wind speed was down at 8PM, temperature above freezing at ground level, winds SSW. If Cooper jumped somewhere south of the Merwin Lake Dam, then the flight path indicates he could have landed near Amboy...same place they found the chute in 2008. Both 377 and I have a theory that Cooper simply pulled the ripcord on the stairs and let the chute pull him away from the aircraft. If this theory were true, there would be a fair amount of wind drift on the way down.

As some of you know, I am not fully convinced that the Amboy chute isn't Cooper's. This is why, if you haven't seen it. Not saying it IS the chute, just saying the Seattle FBI was a bit lax on that investigation. Remember...these are the same folks who later put up Marla Cooper as a 'viable witness,' but let's not go into that right now. :S

So...I still think the spot where the chute was found should be arbitrarily set as one of the possible square-mile landing zones. Just in case.

As usual Blevins, you have the most to write but the least to say. That's typical of one who is uninformed and ignorant on so many things and on so many fronts.

Another Blevins alert: He wants a new ground search and he has listed all the of the ridiculous reasons and benefits for doing such a thing at this lare date. I am wondering if anyone else, like maybe the FBI, has thought about this, or is it an original Blevins idea? Hmmmmm. He's says he is not an expert on the subject, but he sure has given some expert advice -- what a guy -- a legend in his own time.

MeyerLouie

" I don't believe you'll find Cooper or any artifacts near where the placard was discovered. Occam might say the placard flew away the moment the airstairs were opened."

the stairs were activated 5-6 minutes into the flight waaaay before the location of the place card,........

Blevins is uninformed, but he continues to talk like an expert. He doesn't even know the basic facts of the case, and yet he can't shut his big mouth. I think it's time to boycott this idiot. MeyerLouie

Blevins is uninformed, but he continues to talk like an expert. He doesn't even know the basic facts of the case, and yet he can't shut his big mouth. I think it's time to boycott this idiot. MeyerLouie

NOTE TO BLEVINS:

Take a good look at the FBI's estimated jump point map that is available on Sluggo's web page.

Use the same assumptions that you have stated in earlier posts today, then explain how only a one square mile area is to be searched. And exactly who would determine which one square mile area?

And you also speak of other one square mile areas for other assumed jump points.

You might give some attention to the winds aloft, the altitude of Cooper's opening the parachute, the ground elevation at your specified point, etc.

Using your approach, you are basically suggesting that the entire southern Washington area be searched.

Robert99

"Very little burial"

this is pressure treated wood, no signs of the critters, just overgrown into the landscape B|

Amazing what some Florida sun and rain will do.. as opposed to DARK GLOOMY DEEP FOREST in the Pacific NorthWET. You shold visit it the area.. in the interest of Cooper research of course...:ph34r::ph34r:

I didn’t visit this site for approximately 18 months (June 29, 2011 to December 30, 2012).

I had some time on my hands, so I thought I’d check to see if (and/or how) there had been a change. I’ve monitored the traffic here for a couple of days and read every post.

Conclusion:
Nothing has changed except some of the poster’s handles.

The posters are still rehashing the same old issues. Even ones that have been discussed ad infinitum.

There is no evidence of a spirit of cooperation between posters, just a bunch of name-calling and “one-up-manship”. Not even a hint of; “We have the same goal, let’s work together”.

I have to go back to the grind (at 03:30) tomorrow, so, I’ll bid you all well and check back in about 18 months.

Web Page
Blog
NORJAK Forum

Fine. Idea was suggested, and rejected.

Moving on now. I'm off to watch the remainder of the Rose Bowl.

MeyerLouie: When I met you at Ariel, I never realized you were a total jerk. You haven't contributed a thing lately except for a lot of name-calling. That, and your assumption that Cooper was a sociopath because you know criminals because you worked at a prison. Then, when I made a natural assumption that because you 'know criminal behavior' that you must have been a guard, you say you weren't. Inspecting those boilers, or whatever you did there, sure gives you insight into peoples' psychosis and/or criminal behavior, doesn't it? :S

You might be this or that, but I'd guess an expert on criminal behavior you are not.

Robert, what gives you the right to differ with Meyer's conclusion? are you only assuming he didn't have a mental disorder from your experience? no known study has been done on Cooper's mental state that I know of, and after reading David Hubbards argument that hijackers are mentally unstable, who do we believe first? do we scratch off Hubbard and follow you? it's simply a theory, you know like KC is Cooper? I am basing it on what I have learned in looking into the possibilities of his mental state.

did you take the time to look into the different types the disease has and compare with Cooper? or did you "observe and make the proper Diagnoses" it's simply another avenue that seems to be untouched with this case as far as I can see it.. desperate is one thing, threatening to blow up a plane with 30+ innocent passengers is a little unstable wouldn't you agree?

since I have no background in Mental Heath, I'm not going to try and disagree with a field I'm not familiar with, I would rather go along with it and see what forms...what exactly is considered a "Nut Case" in the eye's of Robert Blevins?

Amazon is putting holes in my theory of the condition of Coopers remains, I am currently looking into it in order to find more evidence supporting either way......B| pretty sure this is how it should be done.....no?

Fine. Idea was suggested, and rejected.

I'm not rejecting the idea at all - just saying that one can't arbitrarily discount one of only two pieces of "confirmed" evidence found on the ground by guessing when it blew out of the plane.

Like I've said before - if some enterprising folks can sell Tornado chasing tours, I see no reason why a DB Cooper Caper Adventure Tour wouldn't sell. At the most someone might find something. At the least they get a Northwest hiking vacation.
MrShutter can use his simulation machine to map out a grid, the vacationer gets his/her choice of three locations. Include a trip to the tavern and a boat trip past Tena bar - maybe catch a fish or two -- surely there's someone out there that is tired of that same old boring Hawaiian getaway. :)