47 47
quade

DB Cooper

Stewardess Tina Mucklow has said that the hijacker popped the ripcord on the spare chute, and donned the NB-6 main container like he knew what he was doing. The idea that leaping out the rear of a jet doing 175MPH...and that it was the very first jump the hijacker had ever made...this is a bit of a stretch, IMHO. I think he had jumped before.

Blevins, What is the basis for the above conclusion about Cooper having previous jump experience?

As Amazon and others have previously pointed out, plenty of people made their first jump under far worse conditions during WW2 and a high percentage of them survived.

Robert99

Yup.. THOUSANDS of them in every kind of weather imaginable... day .... night.... aircraft in severe spins.... aircraft coming apart... severely wounded.. and from every altitude from approximately 35000 on down to some scary close to the ground open and land a second or two later. Over 4000 US bombers were lost in Europe alone.... B-17's and B-24's had crews of 10 men each. Then there were the Brit.. the Germans.. the Pacific Theatre... need I go on??[:/]

I have never "deceived" Tina Mucklow, nor have I ever revealed her "exact whereabouts" as Meyer Louie states in a prior post. His comments are erroneous and unacceptable. I have told him I expect a retraction.

The DB Cooper investigatory community has discussed her situation at length, both here and at the Mountain News. My belief continues that she has suffered some kind of traumatic experience after November 24, 1971, which has caused her to become the embittered woman she seems to be today. Whether it is connected to the skyjacking, I do not know, but I suspect that it does.

Further, I believe that she has some degree of social responsibility to shed light on the skyjacking and whatever happened afterwards. Just debriefing with the FBI in 1971 and later is not enough, as the evidence strongly suggests that the Bureau's investigation has been compromised.

Georger quoting my comment:

'I would venture that because of the way Cooper asked for the parachutes, he may have had experience, but probably not for a while, and he wasn't a regular visitor to any dropzone. The choice of dress for him is one of the biggest mysteries, IMHO...'

I wasn't discussing Ken Christiansen. I was talking about the hijacker, whomever he was.

Christiansen has not been proven to be the hijacker. Get real.

You hold the world up for years on KC and you ask
anyone else to get real !!!!! ?????
:D

You are able to suddenly separate yourself thinking
and posting about Cooper vs KC?

You are not RobertMBlevins !? Who ends every post
wth: "If I'd observed all the rules, I'd never have got
anywhere..." Marilyn Monroe

Funny old Bev!

:o

Those people you mentioned didn't have a choice. It was either jump or get pushed. You are right, about the survival stats though. However, most of those folks weren't trying it from a passenger jet with a trio of screaming engines above their heads, and going 175mph

As I posted above lots did survive.. and if your airplane is disintegrating around you.. you can be one SERIOUSLY motivated airman.. so motivated in fact that it is enough to overcome a deeply ingrained desire to try just one more thing to regain control.. so much so that you can pull yourself to a hole big enough to get out of at VERY high speed while pulling a couple G's.

Not overly smart, (jumping in suit, dress shoes, overcoat, at night, in cloud cover, undetermined target drop)

How am I doing...missing anything?

Stewardess Tina Mucklow has said that the hijacker popped the ripcord on the spare chute, and donned the NB-6 main container like he knew what he was doing. The idea that leaping out the rear of a jet doing 175MPH...and that it was the very first jump the hijacker had ever made...this is a bit of a stretch, IMHO. I think he had jumped before.

Blevins, What is the basis for the above conclusion about Cooper having previous jump experience?

As Amazon and others have previously pointed out, plenty of people made their first jump under far worse conditions during WW2 and a high percentage of them survived.

Robert99

Yup.. THOUSANDS of them in every kind of weather imaginable... day .... night.... aircraft in severe spins.... aircraft coming apart... severely wounded.. and from every altitude from approximately 35000 on down to some scary close to the ground open and land a second or two later. Over 4000 US bombers were lost in Europe alone.... B-17's and B-24's had crews of 10 men each. Then there were the Brit.. the Germans.. the Pacific Theatre... need I go on??[:/]

As a gross statistic in that context, its factual. But I
think in order to have that stat valid for Cooper you
have to somehow put Cooper into that class, that
population sample, and there is the problem.

We also know there were a lot of injuries in your
population.

The stats of your population would break down if
applied to the general population.

The stats of your population would vary from a
population of hobby skydivers.

The stats of your population vs. all hijackers who
bailed would compare how ...?

Im just saying, transferring stats between
populations is not automatic and from that fact
comes the doubt we all have about Cooper ...
because we dont know population does he comes
from or represents?

Himmelsbach had him a "food service worker"!

I think you will find that "parachute training" was minimal at best. We are talking serious wuffos.... praying to gawd they never had to use that issued parachute.
Heck, even in the 1970's we only spent a day on it during SV-80A. Basics... PLFS... Swing landing training.
I thought it would be brilliant to at least have the students make a couple jumps... but gawd forbid we would do anything to damage one of the expensive "college boys".

Those people you mentioned didn't have a choice. It was either jump or get pushed. You are right, about the survival stats though. However, most of those folks weren't trying it from a passenger jet with a trio of screaming engines above their heads, and going 175mph

As I posted above lots did survive.. and if your airplane is disintegrating around you.. you can be one SERIOUSLY motivated airman.. so motivated in fact that it is enough to overcome a deeply ingrained desire to try just one more thing to regain control.. so much so that you can pull yourself to a hole big enough to get out of at VERY high speed while pulling a couple G's.

And WHERE did they learn to do these things? Oh, I don't know. Maybe some tough training at a US Army paratrooper school or something. :)
I haven't a clue for sure whether KC is the hijacker. But I do know that during the time he was IN, the training was very intense. At that time, the Army was figuring a full-scale invasion of Japan, since few knew about the atomic bomb or that it was coming.

If you look at D-Day, you will see that this training was no joke. I like to remind people sometimes that KC got through that training out of a starting unit of 278 guys or so. He was one of less than a hundred that actually graduated. Sometimes they jumped with so much gear they had to be PUSHED on board the plane. Whatever he was, whoever he was, if you count that and five years on that rock Shemya Island, he was certainly no slouch.

See above... AIRCREW did not go to jump school. Their first jump was always from a plane that was trying to kill them if they did not leave.. and do so quickly.

I have never "deceived" Tina Mucklow, nor have I ever revealed her "exact whereabouts" as Meyer Louie states in a prior post. His comments are erroneous and unacceptable. I have told him I expect a retraction.

The DB Cooper investigatory community has discussed her situation at length, both here and at the Mountain News. My belief continues that she has suffered some kind of traumatic experience after November 24, 1971, which has caused her to become the embittered woman she seems to be today. Whether it is connected to the skyjacking, I do not know, but I suspect that it does.

Further, I believe that she has some degree of social responsibility to shed light on the skyjacking and whatever happened afterwards. Just debriefing with the FBI in 1971 and later is not enough, as the evidence strongly suggests that the Bureau's investigation has been compromised.

well . . .

1. she doesnt look happy in those photos!

2. you have publically pushed the idea she was a
nutcase and nonfunctional for years; not something
would make any normal person happy or her family
etal!

3. you went out of your way going out east to find
her family!

4. you called her down; she didnt ask for you to
contact her and did not call you!

5. you are basically saying she has some
responsibility? to talk to YOU! ? Baloney!

6. you are claiming she has some resposibility to
the world just because she was a victim in a
hijacking? That may be your personal opinion but it
is not a shared opinion and has no legal standing
whatever! On the other hand the woman has legal rights one of which is the right of privacy!

7. I think you are operating out of a very poorly
defined sense oif yourself in this matter. You are
some kind of Gonzo Journalist which gives you what
rights? Pararazzi?

This whole situation is frought with peril, imho.

If I was TM I wouldnt want anything to do with you
and the next step may be a Court Order against you.

I think you will find that "parachute training" was minimal at best. We are talking serious wuffos.... praying to gawd they never had to use that issued parachute.
Heck, even in the 1970's we only spent a day on it during SV-80A. Basics... PLFS... Swing landing training.
I thought it would be brilliant to at least have the students make a couple jumps... but gawd forbid we would do anything to damage one of the expensive "college boys".

I know. Had ROTC. My whole family military.

Bruce, I did not name you specifically here, I think the deceiving part goes primarily to Galen Cook, not you. He tricked Tina in more ways than one. And, as I understand it, Blevins is the one who divulged Tina's exact whereabouts. My apologies. I didn't mean to imply it was you who deceived Tina or divulged her exact whereabouts. However, I don't agree with the part you played, eventhough it was quite minimal.

As for your last point, sorry Bruce, I have to disagree with you on that one. I don't think Tina owes us shit. If someone(s) deceived me and disrespected me and my privacy, would I feel obligated to help those individuals with what I know? Not on your life. That's why I say the best witness we ever had in the DBC case is probably lost forever. It's about basic courtesy and respect -- plain and simple. Tina's mental or emotional state or social responsibility has little relevance at this point. MeyerLouie

It's just no fun to think of Cooper as a lucky Whuffo.

Or as a dead one....but I'm thinking lately that the chance that he survived is looking slim.

off subject for a sec:
FWIW to my Georgia/Alabama friends.....
Since a house divided against itself cannot stand, I hereby cast the deciding woo! woo! here at the corner of God's Little Acre and Tobacco Road.
I'm rooting for GA and hoping Bama wins............
Yep....Bama to the left of me ...GA to the right....here I am stuck in the middle with woo! woo!......
Roll Tide, how bout them Dawgs

Carry on
but....A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.....Winston Churchill

Apology accepted. (*smiles*) No one has revealed Tina Mucklow's exact address. There have been some pictures posted by Galen Cook. Geoff Gray said she lived in Springfield, OR. in his book. Answer: True.

The closest I ever got to Tina Mucklow was mailing a copy of Blast, a few pictures, a letter, to her sister and the husband (former FBI agent) in Shelton, WA.

"If I'd observed all the rules, I'd never have got anywhere..."

Marilyn Monroe

So you are "affirming" to the world with a chortle,
smirk, and (*smiles!*), T lives in Springfield, OR,
after Gray published it in his book.

*Smiles* alone is worth a contempt citation and 90
days, in my book.

Survival or Death:)

If Cooper was an idiot/daredevlil or worse, he may
have survived by accident (Amazon's point). If he
was an idiot who failed there is no proof one would
expect of that outcome.

;)Now Now Georger - you went thur all of that to summarize it with the above paragraph. You covered all of the pros and cons and then dropped the damn ball with the last part.

You know some idiots or jokers do take precautions when they commit a crime. It is like the expression - never say never.
Always be prepared for the WHAT IF just encase.

Such as a woman would never go to the hospital for surgery(planned) without making sure her house was cleaned and everything in perfect order....just encase, she didn't come home. She will wash and set her hair and iron all the linens. The lawn will be manicured and the pantry filled. Note will be out telling the family where to find her will and other documents.

Finally before she walks out the door she unplugs the TV, the computer and central vac - just encase there is a lighting storm.

I believe Cooper made all of the preparation - he felt he had NOTHING to live for and his life was a complete waste, but what if he survived and what if he really got away.

Well well this is how it happened and he could not believe they didn't have clue who he was - yet he was afraid, he figured he would never be able to spend the money - he was sure it was marked. It was in all 20's he would have to be very careful, but he only needed enough to last him about 5 yrs - he wasn't supposed to live beyond that.

He had taken the precautions about fingerprints -airplane glue, emory cloth and nail polish. He also had cloth hankies in each pocket - better to be safe than foolish.

After the crime he washed the dye out of his hair and retrived the car which was registered to a WA resident, but not one who would be missing it anytime soon. He was over seas. Buys NEW glasses and a nice ring - especially a pinking ring.

When he gets back to ATLANTA IN ABOUT 5 MONTHS. - HE JUST TELLS THEM HE INHERITED SOME MONEY FROM HIS PARENTS ESTATE AND DECIDED TO DO SOME TRAVELING. NO one person ever suspected he was Cooper, but he would look over his shoulders for several yrs.

Survival or Death:)
You know some idiots or jokers do take precautions when they commit a crime. It is like the expression - never say never.
Always be prepared for the WHAT IF just encase.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

The 2012 Ariel Party video is up at YouTube.

It's all good except I will have to adjust the opening screen text later.

Set to Fullscreen, 720p HD, turn up speakers, for best results. Comments have been disabled, for obvious reasons. (*laughs*) If you don't know why, it doesn't matter anyway. :)

You did a good job, Blevins. You captured the essence of that fun day in Ariel last Saturday. Thanks for sharing. MeyerLouie

So does the DBC profile begin to take shape in this way?

Experience in skydiving
Experience with 727's
Knowledge of SOP airline in-flight and ground protocol
Potential experience in bomb-making or bomb-faking
Knowledge of FBI access to funds (?)
Not overly smart, (jumping in suit, dress shoes, overcoat, at night, in cloud cover, undetermined target drop)

How am I doing...missing anything?

I saw this post earlier and meant to comment on it. I hear this all the time -- that Cooper somehow had below average to average intelligence, that he was a maniacal, desperate working stiff on a suicide mission.

Here's a thought for you: One of the biggest fallacies might very well be the assumption that somehow all of us here are at least as smart as Cooper. I'm thinking there might be a remote possibility that Cooper is smarter than all of us, including the FBI. And there may be evidence to verify this -- he is just as much of a mystery and just as free and unknown as he was 41 years ago. Experts in forensic science and law enforcement are still baffled. Moreover, it is possible that Cooper out-witted and out-maneuvered the supposed greatest investigative unit in the world, the FBI. If he lived to tell about it, then I say he's several cuts above average intelligence.

Here's a corollary to that thought: jumping in a suit, dress shoes, overcoat, at night, in cloud cover, with an undetermined target drop (I don't believe this one, by the way) might very well be clues to his genius, rather than clues to his lack of smarts.

And he was one cool customer -- with nerves of steel.

MeyerLouie

And WHERE did they learn to do these things? Oh, I don't know. Maybe some tough training at a US Army paratrooper school or something. :)
I haven't a clue for sure whether KC is the hijacker. But I do know that during the time he was IN, the training was very intense. At that time, the Army was figuring a full-scale invasion of Japan, since few knew about the atomic bomb or that it was coming.

If you look at D-Day, you will see that this training was no joke. I like to remind people sometimes that KC got through that training out of a starting unit of 278 guys or so. He was one of less than a hundred that actually graduated. Sometimes they jumped with so much gear they had to be PUSHED on board the plane. Whatever he was, whoever he was, if you count that and five years on that rock Shemya Island fueling and oiling planes with Bernie Geestman, he was certainly no slouch. Even Geestman didn't do five years there, and Geestman LIED when he said on Decoded that Kenny left Shemya before he did. That is a LIE.

Considering the number of people so far who could be Cooper, the odds are against that KC was the hijacker. But he wasn't what John Lennon would have called a 'poof,' either.

What is the evidence that KC was a Paratrooper? I scrolled back and must have missed the evidence AFTER the WWI pics of a family member and Basic Training pics.

IMO, the Hijacker was old school prior service or maybe even a more recent AF/Navy crewman. Probably NOT a Basic Paratrooper or Smoke Jumper. Hence the pick of chutes.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

[reply

My guess is that Cooper was definitely NOT a current or former NWA employee.

There is a reasonable possibility that he was a FORMER Boeing employee and not a current one at the time of the hijacking.

Assuming you were living in the Seattle area in the late 1960s and early 1970, cancellations and cutbacks in such programs as the SST forced Boeing to lay off tens of thousands of employees. Cooper could have been one of them.

At the same time, aircraft companies in the Los Angeles area were also forced to make massive lay offs. There was plenty of aviation talent on the west coast that was unemployed and that included air crews, manufacturing personnel, and everyone in between.

Why did Cooper select Portland as the place to start the hijacking? In my opinion, he did so because he was NOT from Portland. If you are going to rob a bank, would you select one two blocks from your house or would you go to another town or even state? You would probably select a bank quite a distance from your house with the hope that no one would have ever seen you before.

My guess is that Cooper had already determined by the time he was seated on the airliner that he had not seen any of the people on the aircraft before. If he saw anyone that he even remotely knew, he would never have initiated the hijacking but would have just flown on to Seattle, gotten off the plane, gone home and made plans to try somewhere else in the future.

The above also suggests that Cooper had never flown NWA before.

Robert99

20 January 1972, Charles LaPoint, Telephone Magazine Subscription Salesman, Hijacks a DC-9 and opens two doors before successfully bailing out.

7 April 1972, Richard McCoy, College student/ National Guard, Hijacks a 727 and somehow navigates from San Francisco to within 10 miles of his home, then bails out successfully.

3 June 1972, Robb Heady, Part Time Parking Lot Attendant, Hijacks a 727 and opens the door to bail out less than 20 miles from Reno.

23 June 1972, Martin McNally, unemployed gas station attendant, Hijacks three 727s, aimlessly flies over the US and Canada, then without prior jump experience, bails out and lands in Indiana, then makes it home to Michigan.

This is truly a list of exceptional professions, educations and backgrounds of individuals who hijacked different planes, opened hatches and stairs, navigated to an acceptable geo-positional resolution, and successfully bailed out. No spooks, secret agent men or specialty trained gubberment workers, just a collection of losers who managed to do something very similar to Cooper, except they were all captured and lived.

In the interest of accuracy, since the DBC thread is known for that, Martin McNally was part of hijacking four aircraft if you include the helicopter in that failed escape attempt. I’m not quite sure how to categorize that one.

The biggest mystery I can see, involves the process which was mapped, which would render Cooper as some blazing example of aviation experience and skydiving, with a black ops background when he couldn’t use the interphone, open the stairs and jumped with a dummy chute. Too complex, just like seeing a photo of a 727 flying with stairs down and locked. But I’m sure it isn’t BS.

But I’m sure there are sane and logical reasons for how these hijackers selected their alias and what their particular type of clothing said about them. Anyone know? Will there be deafening cricket chirps on this subject where Cooper is surrounded by such often repeated knowledge, spoken with faux authority? Four examples is a pretty good sample rate of contrarian behaviors.

Meyer Louie wrote

And he was one cool customer -- with nerves of steel.

Indeed he was, but the bravest of the parachuting skyjackers was the guy in the Phillipines who exited wearing a homemade parachute. According to witnesses it inflated then came apart, plunging him to his death. That's why you want a C9. Toughest canopy ever made in my opinion.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Hear it for you own bad self (it takes a while (2 mins) to load):

http://www.stevenrinehart.com/uploads/DB2-48br.mp3

Cooper picked good chutes, F-16s followed Flight 305, Brian picked up bark, Cooper is on the bottom of the Columbia, boys find body a year after Brian’s discovery, money came from Cooper’s body and no other source, no other explanation for money possible, $6000 found with some taken, entire Tena Bar Roto-Tilled by Tosaw, money came from Cooper’s body, Co-pilot said plane flew over Tena Bar, Cooper is buried under sand, WWII parachute used, 82nd Airborne says you die in water, twist buckles on chute, again-MONEY washed from his body which was in the river, Cooper is under two or three feet of sand, spent $2500 per day searching, convinced the body discovered is Cooper’s, bills will last 100 years buried, the serial numbers didn’t enter circulation because the money is on the bottom of the river, Cooper took matchbook to eliminate evidence, not possible to have DNA, no need for DNA since the skeleton will have ID and parachute, not in middle of river or Oregon side, Cooper was obviously a parachutist, money discarded as deception not logical, money found by Brian was ‘tip’ money, money came ashore the day before discovery by Brian, money came from Cooper’s body, eight years later the money washed ashore where the plane flew over, no variables beyond the money washing ashore from where the plane flew over from Cooper’s body, urgent call is made to program with new Cooper suspect! Cooper called on intercom and told crew to slow down so he could get the stairs down and Cooper was a pilot, Pilots of 727 had to look up flap settings since Cooper knew more than them, placard was torn from plane by wind.

There you have a rare interview which is utterly free of any bias or pre-conceived conclusions. Anyone listening to this should buy a shovel, and go to Tena Bar and dig no more than three feet in the sand, about a mile up and down stream, on the Washington side.

All Army veterans (naturally), including the woman who hijacked the helicopter for McNally (coincidences?), NONE special ops. All simply wanted money.

LaPoint was in paratrooper training, but discharged under ignominious circumstances. He was a car thief before magazine sales specialist.

McCoy Warrant Officer and chopper pilot, civvy skydiver. Taking college courses in criminology.

Robb Heady former paratrooper.

McNally ground pounder, never jumped before.

None of them worked for Boeing or any other air framers. McCoy was the only pilot. All of them opened the aft stairs. Two of them brought their own chutes, one of them also requested a helmet (LaPoint). The least experienced stole the most money, hijacked the most planes, escaped the farthest and the longest, and was the least injured. Three jumped at night, by design (LaPoint jumped during daylight).

All of this information is available via internet searches (as should ALL information not accompanying some ‘factual’ claim).

Hear it for you own bad self (it takes a while (2 mins) to load):

http://www.stevenrinehart.com/uploads/DB2-48br.mp3

Cooper picked good chutes, F-16s followed Flight 305, Brian picked up bark, Cooper is on the bottom of the Columbia, boys find body a year after Brian’s discovery, money came from Cooper’s body and no other source, no other explanation for money possible, $6000 found with some taken, entire Tena Bar Roto-Tilled by Tosaw, money came from Cooper’s body, Co-pilot said plane flew over Tena Bar, Cooper is buried under sand, WWII parachute used, 82nd Airborne says you die in water, twist buckles on chute, again-MONEY washed from his body which was in the river, Cooper is under two or three feet of sand, spent $2500 per day searching, convinced the body discovered is Cooper’s, bills will last 100 years buried, the serial numbers didn’t enter circulation because the money is on the bottom of the river, Cooper took matchbook to eliminate evidence, not possible to have DNA, no need for DNA since the skeleton will have ID and parachute, not in middle of river or Oregon side, Cooper was obviously a parachutist, money discarded as deception not logical, money found by Brian was ‘tip’ money, money came ashore the day before discovery by Brian, money came from Cooper’s body, eight years later the money washed ashore where the plane flew over, no variables beyond the money washing ashore from where the plane flew over from Cooper’s body, urgent call is made to program with new Cooper suspect! Cooper called on intercom and told crew to slow down so he could get the stairs down and Cooper was a pilot, Pilots of 727 had to look up flap settings since Cooper knew more than them, placard was torn from plane by wind.

There you have a rare interview which is utterly free of any bias or pre-conceived conclusions. Anyone listening to this should buy a shovel, and go to Tena Bar and dig no more than three feet in the sand, about a mile up and down stream, on the Washington side.

Farflung, I have obviously underestimated your vast research skills.

You state above that "F-16s followed flight 305".

My memory is not as good as it used to be, but as I recall it the hijacking took place on November 24, 1971.

The YF-16s (two were built) were designed and built after the 1973 Arab-Israeli War. Two YF-17s were also designed and built. Then a fly-off was held between the two designs. And the YF-16 won. But the YF-17 was picked up by the Navy, modified to some degree, and then became known to history as the F-18.

Following the award of a production contract for the F-16, five pre-production aircraft were built and they had AF 75-XXXX numbers. The actual production F-16s had AF 78-XXXX and later numbers.

But to repeat, my memory is not the best. So could you please remind me how the F-16s managed to chase the hijacked airliner two years before they were even designed?

I will defer to your expertise in this matter since I understand that you were an advisor to the Wright Brothers and helped them during their difficult early years.

Robert99