47 47
quade

DB Cooper

I am new to this forum, but not sky-diving. I have read many posts and find that one of the best is Jim Hoopers well written assessment. Wuffos should stay in the background, because they have nothing to offer, unless perhaps a question. Hooper also ran one of the most successful sky-diving operations in the world at Z-Hills and I feel fortunate to have spent a winter there. Dick Clark D-884

who was? his post is where? number of post?

date of post? planet of post? Galaxy of post?

he said what? Translation ?

any good news?

i agree, when "son of sam" was found... the sketch and picture never were close

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/40496_f520.jpg

One point on which some of the posters and I strongly disagree: Police sketches are NOT photographs and should not be taken as God's Truth on What the Hijacker Looked Like.

They should be considered only a general guide, and eyewitness descriptions can be Just Plain Wrong on some points. Especially when most of the people giving them were experiencing heart rates in excess of 160 beats a minute due to fear that their lives could end in the next moment.

There are at least 50 posts where you have said
this. I think we know your stand on this.

Do you have any actual stats which apply to the
Cooper case or the Seattle FBI office say from 1965-
1975 which prove your claim?

Do you have any stats from anything that relate
to your claim?

Do you have any examples or expertise for your
claim?

Like everything else, you will decline to answer,
and then say it again 50 more times, just to see
yourself in print for the world to read?

In other news, there was no new news today.

Deathly quiet. You can hear a pin drop so I had to make a post just to break the silence.

I did hear Marla was talking to the media sometime on Monday.
Now she is saying the FBI wants to do see if the can get her uncle's prints from a house he lived in 10 yrs ago.

No Way the FBI will attempt that!
Does she actually believe the FBI will spend money to do that? He Uncle was too young to be Cooper...yet, the FBI let her go public without making her aware of that fact. All the FBI wanted was an anniversary Story...and it back fired because it got released too soon. I guess we know why the public relations woman went on vacation. Maybe it will be permanent?

Marla has NO idea who mixed the Dan Cooper Comics into the Cooper Legend. That was the first thing I caught with her story.
I expect the new agents ALL think the Cooper Comic Story is something from the OLD Cooper days!

After ALL they put it on their FBI site just because Carr said it and he got it from this thread...I noted he NEVER credited anyone but himself with this "NEW" knowledge.

What I have seen of the FBI agents in the 15 yrs I have had to deal with them - NOT one of them knows the complete story about Cooper. The FBI keeps allowing myths to become facts and it has gotten way out of hand.

After 40 yrs - it is time to make the damn file public and let the citizens who care solve it. This secretive and privacy thing is way out of hand in the Cooper case at this stage.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

Bruce did raise a provocative point that got no responsive comments. He pondered whether Gray was cleverly escalating Cooper news such as Marla's story to prime the market for his book. I doubt very much whether he has that much influence but it is a nice coincidence for Gray that DBC is front page news right around book release time.

You are correct, 377, it seems implausible that Geoffrey and his publicist, Eve Rabin of New York Media, could whip up a world-wide media frenzy that could put DB Cooper and "most promising" lead on the front page of every newpsaper and TV set.

But somebody did, because that's what happened.

Here's what I'm posting on the Mountain News:

How did the LD Cooper story get so big, so fast?

Seemingly from out of nowhere, the possibility that an Oregon man named LD Cooper could be the infamous skyjacker DB Cooper has become an international sensation.

But why?

It seems implausible that Geoffrey Gray, author of the forthcoming Skyjack - The Hunt for DB Cooper, and his publicist, Eve Rabin of New York Media, could whip up a world-wide journalistic frenzy that could put LD as DB on the front page of every newspaper and TV set.

But somebody did, because that's what happened.

One key factor was a few words from the FBI’s public information officer in Seattle, Ayn Sandalo Dietrich, who told a British journalist named Alex Hannaford that the FBI had a “most promising” lead. This tidbit became the “LD Cooper is DB Cooper” story that went worldwide last week.

Was it Gray and his team – and is Hannaford a part of it - or was it someone else, such as the FBI?

Seeking an answer to those questions, I'm now in the process of learning how the LD angle geared-up in Seattle, because it seems the rapidity of the story started in Seattle. Most national and international media quoted the Seattle Times and the Seattle PI as their source and not Alex Hannaford and the London Sunday Telegraph, which is the true source of the “most promising” lead angle on the story.

As I understand the play-out, Alex's piece came out on Saturday eve, July 30th for the Sunday edition, London time. That would be mid-afternoon Pacific Time in Seattle, and it seems that the Seattle Times and PI were on the story within minutes.

Were they alerted? Were they sitting and waiting, with the FBI's PIO Ayn Sandalo Dietrich's cell phone on speed dial, ready to go?

Regardless, they were quoting her by the end of the afternoon, and the "most promising" lead went international within a few hours, as far as I can tell.

Did Geoff tell them to be ready; or the FBI? Or are they just top-notch newspapers and ever-vigilant, even in the middle of a mid-summer weekend?

Nevertheless, in the ensuing days Geoff Gray conducted a ton of interviews and became the world's Guru Extraordinaire on DB Cooper.

Then, last weekend, eight days after the "most promising" lead story breaks, Geoff has an opinion piece published in the Sunday NY Times and the Wall Street Journal. In addition, the NY Times commissions five authors to write a combo piece on whether a modern-day criminal could stay disappeared for 40 years in today's Patriot Act world.

In Geoff’s NYT piece he says empathically that DB Cooper is dead, yet he offers no proof or compelling evidence. It is as if the Wizard of Oz has spoken and no one dares challenges the Wizard.

Not only does Geoffrey have the new book coming out, he now has an authoritative perch to pronounce from – heck, we’ve learned from his ubiquitous interviewing that he has had exclusive access to the FBI files – something that no other journalist has been granted despite the information being public property. Heck, I can’t even get a cup of coffee with the feds, let alone see the juicy stuff like Geoffrey.

But besides touting his book, Gray is also pronouncing DB Cooper dead. Why? Is he seeking to also bury the legend, the cultural phenomena? Does Geoffrey Gray want to switch off the Cooper excitement?

Or does somebody else want Cooper dead and buried, and is using Gray? LD is already dead for sure, but maybe somebody wants the legend of DB to be dead, too. After all, Ayn Sandalo Dietrich is getting all those interrupting phone calls about counter-terrorism during her DB Cooper interviews in those early days before her vacation, and her fill-in, Fred Gutt, pronounced Goote, is telling everyone who will listen that the FBI ranks DBC so low on the priority scale that just about any other criminal beats him in a heart beat.

Does the FBI want the DB Cooper case to go away? Permanently?

So, I ask, is the FBI orchestrating the Geoffrey Gray roll out? Or, are two organizational forces allied together – one to sell books, and the other to make that book the last one written?

After all, the LD Cooper story is so pedestrian. What made the FBI so ga-ga over it? Do they really trust a retired cop that much, even though he only sent a guitar strap for evidence? This item has a poor capacity to offer DNA samples or good fingerprints to the FBI, even though the comparison material available to the Bureau for confirming proof are suspect themselves.

Plus, if I was the source of the story and not the lovely – and camera ready – Marla Cooper, would I get the same traction? Unlikely, imho. What if LD’s name was Rabinowitz or Rodriguez and not Cooper, would his story still get the same mileage? I doubt it.

It all seems too pat, - the world-wide media telling the world that Cooper is dead. And he is - LD Cooper that is - and not our Danny Boy, our beloved DB Cooper.

In the meantime, I’m still looking for the PIO, Ayn Sandal Dietrich. Her FBI voice mail says she’s on vacation through August 15, and the writer of the Seattle Times’ Cooper piece says that she’s not answering her cell phone; nor will he give me the number – he’s such a good journalist!

My old buddy, Alex Hannaford still isn’t talking to me since I asked him if he’s in cahoots with Gray, but he may have been played by Geoffrey. After all, Alex was so miffed about his Cooper piece being ripped off by the London Daily Mail, and I don’t blame him – but it does seem to put him outside the conspiracy to whip-up publicity for GG. Stealing is stealing, even in the Big Leagues, and even in Murdock’s London.

Plus, Alex gave all of us Cooper hunters a taste of fame in his Cooper article – Galen Cook and me, Robert Blevins and his investigation of Kenny Christiansen, the Fazio Brothers down at Tina’s Beach and Dona Elliott up in the LZ of Ariel. The Mountain News got 2-3,000 hits last week, and 90 percent of it was DB Cooper. In fact, one night I had over 30 hits from a newspaper link in Austria!

Tomorrow, Geoffrey Gray’s book receives its national release, and I will be reading it. Then, it’s back to the phone, Google and emails - trying to ascertain what is going on.

I smell something fishy, and I do believe the game is afoot, this time in a different fashion than usual in the DB Cooper saga.

One point on which some of the posters and I strongly disagree: Police sketches are NOT photographs and should not be taken as God's Truth on What the Hijacker Looked Like.

They should be considered only a general guide, and eyewitness descriptions can be Just Plain Wrong on some points. Especially when most of the people giving them were experiencing heart rates in excess of 160 beats a minute due to fear that their lives could end in the next moment.

Answer: Common sense

Or as Kevin Bacon once said in Apollo 13:

'I can add...'

Not only is Son of Sam a good example, but also the sketch for the Green River Killer. They did several of them. None of them were that good. See attachment. Made this one just for you.

When they arrested Ridgway, his picture appeared in the paper. Then I found out he lived two blocks away from where I was living at the time. The sketches meant nothing to me. But then I remembered I saw him once in a checkout line at the Seven-Eleven.

Side Note on LD Cooper and Marla: When she went with the comic story, she was doomed. That was REALLY dumb, IMHO. But she couldn't resist.

Look: I will tell you a little secret. On the Decoded show, I made a point of saying the comic meant nothing without a suspect to link it to...and History Channel cut that part out. That's the truth.

I've done six radio interviews this week. On the last two, I actually plugged the DZ a bit. Believe it or not, I think most of the people who post here have more guts than I do, since they are willing to jump out of perfectly good airplanes. And sometimes they offer pretty good advice.

In a former life in a Galaxy far away, I did
evaluations of prisoners sent to us from
State facilities. You know what?

They said exactly what you say, with the same
degree of certainty you express. They always had
one or two examples, on every subject under the
stars.

Georger says in part:

In a former life in a Galaxy far away, I did
evaluations of prisoners sent to us from
State facilities. You know what?

They said exactly what you say, with the same
degree of certainty you express. They always had
one or two examples, on every subject under the
stars...'

Inmates you interviewed from years ago say exactly what I say?

Well, that made a lot of sense. Okay, not really. You may need Star Wars Addiction Intervention here. Just saying.

And who is 'us?'

The subject at hand was reliability of sketches,
posters, descriptions from victims (even those with
high blood pressure and fear factors you claim
makes witness descriptions unreliable as a rule ...)

Practically every person I worked with denied the
effectiveness of law enforecement procedures and
tools, and witness accounts. "Im innocent and they
have the wrong guy". And yet here they were sitting
in prison, caught by the very things they denied were
reliable and effective. Its a common theme in law
enforcement.

You are just claiming an exemption for yourself,
little smily faced Kenny, and your book. Sorry.
Won't work.

As I said before - there will be an announcement this week of furthering the LD Cooper investigation. Yes the FBI is looking to settle the case as all of the other suspects have been ruled out. The LD Cooper suspect came from quiet, back law enforcement channels. It is a very, very credible lead.

It has just been announced that L.D. Cooper's DNA is not a match. He has been ruled out.

That is not at all accurate. There was not a match on one DNA profile - they are testing others. Trust me the FBI is still investigating LD Cooper as all the other known suspects have been ruled out.

It has just been announced that L.D. Cooper's DNA is not a match. He has been ruled out.

That is not at all accurate. There was not a match on one finger print. Trust me the FBI is still investigating LD Cooper as all the other known suspects have been ruled out.

I love how you talk like you're an insider.

This cracks me up.

Just like how there would be "more news this week" and then FBI goes and spoils your fun by announcing today that it doesn't match. ;)

Marla, is that you? Let's go turkey hunting!

That is not at all accurate. There was not a match on one finger print. Trust me the FBI is still investigating LD Cooper as all the other known suspects have been ruled out.

I love how you talk like you're an insider.

This cracks me up.

Just like how there would be "more news this week" and then FBI goes and spoils your fun by announcing today that it doesn't match. ;)

Marla, is that you? Let's go turkey hunting!

Actually, the FBI made the "no match" announcement late yesterday afternoon. Taco must have missed it.

DNA results for LD Cooper are inconclusive thus far. He's not "ruled out."

"No match" in this situation simply means "no positive identification." It doesn't mean there's a negative relationship between the samples. DNA sampling can't accomplish much in this case unless they find the butts.

DNA results for LD Cooper are inconclusive thus far. He's not "ruled out."

"No match" in this situation simply means "no positive identification." It doesn't mean there's a negative relationship between the samples. DNA sampling can't accomplish much in this case unless they find the butts.

Um. Care to explain what a "negative relationship" between DNA samples might be?

So so far with your conclusions about DNA, you can't rule out any suspects yet. The same argument can be used for all of them.

Next suspect please?
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

That is not at all accurate. There was not a match on one DNA profile - they are testing others. Trust me the FBI is still investigating LD Cooper as all the other known suspects have been ruled out.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/db-cooper-dna-results-match/story?id=14258726

From the aforementioned ABC news article:

What the FBI really needs to make the case, Gutt said, is a fingerprint from L.D. Cooper to match against fingerprints found on the hijacked plane. "We are working with surviving family members to try to identify objects he may have handled," Gutt said.

HEY....FBI....I am stating the obvious here.......Fingerprint card from the military????

Why would the family of L.D. Cooper be searching for items with fingerprints if his fingerprints are already on file. I know this bit of information has been brought up in this forum before.....I am not a super-duper investigator, but c'mon.....common sense.

This current information being leaked to the media is full of misleading information.

tacomaman states:

all the other known suspects have been ruled out

Your source please. Obtuse rants in an internet forum holds very little weight to the actual facts. In addition, list the names of all the suspects that you believe have been ruled out.

We will be awaiting your 'educated' factual responses.
Melvin Luther Wilson - Missing Person since September 1971:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03QLnFvk8Fs

I've read it here suggested that there may be significance to the fact that 305 was a newly added route. It's an extremely short route, possibly the shortest flight that would have warranted a 727 out of PDX? Perhaps Cooper was broke and it was simply the cheapest way on to a 727? Short and cheap flight means it would have been easy and affordable to do dry runs beforehand from Seattle to Portland and possibly observe the ground for landmarks.

I had this nagging feeling that this all seemed so familiar.

Check the DNA and ‘no match’ does not mean anything. Then why check? What would a match indicate?

The prints don’t match. That proves nothing also.

Then I realized there is a common pattern with many (not all) Cooper suspects who become Coopersteins that escape the lab and terrorize villagers and skunk haired love interests alike.

Just like in the movies the various monsters end up in a sort of creepy smack down like Frankenstein, Wolf Man and Dracula with Kenny, LD and Duane roaming the mist shrouded hills.

True. As the FBI has stated, the DNA on the tie and clip may not even belong to D.B. Cooper, as they may have been bought second hand. If so, then how can Weber be ruled out? Fingerprint? Possible. Seems inconclusive. As for LD his prints would be on file with the U.S. Navy. Why are they looking for prints elsewhere? Should be an easy task to compare with those already on file. However, the time frame that Marla refers to seems to be impossible. From when DB left the plane to when LD arrived at the house 200 miles away. I can't see how two people with no experience in extraction could have found each other in that forest at night during a storm and then be at that house not long after. Even the most experienced would have an extremely difficult time locating each other during a time when GPS was not available. If the jump did occur at 8:13, over Ariel, WA, he would had been on the ground roughly ten minutes after in an extremely dense area. I find it hard to believe that a spot could had been dead on the money. It is possible that they could had got lucky and found each other in short time and made it back to Sisters, OR by morning. Highly improbable, but shouldn't be ruled out. Yet, if they were able to locate each other in the forest, getting out of there on twisting, muddy, and rutted logging roads would had taken hours to do during a storm, especially in the dark. That alone would make them being in Sisters, OR the next morning highly improbable.

My money is still on Weber. Although, I still believe that the jump occurred closer to Reno than the area believed to be the spot.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

I've read it here suggested that there may be significance to the fact that 305 was a newly added route. It's an extremely short route, possibly the shortest flight that would have warranted a 727 out of PDX? Perhaps Cooper was broke and it was simply the cheapest way on to a 727? Short and cheap flight means it would have been easy and affordable to do dry runs beforehand from Seattle to Portland and possibly observe the ground for landmarks.

Cooper was definitely looking for a 727 and he double checked that it was a 727 with the ticket agent. Portland was also probably the nearest city that had a 727 flight, and at the right time, into Seattle.

However, since the airliner was about 5000 feet above an overcast on the flight south through the Portland area, landmarks could not be seen. Even the lights of Portland could not be seen according to the flight crew.

My understanding is that almost all of the main suspects on DZ have been categorically ruled out. The best way for some of these so-called suspects to gain validity in the investigation is to stop posting here and use back law enforcement channels. This Marla lady was, if anything, shrewd. Before the book was published, before any posting on this board or anywhere else, she worked very, very quietly through credible law enforcement channels. At that time she also subjected herself to a poly-graph test that was passed. Doesn't mean a lick since people believe their childhood memories regardless of their validity but it was the right steps.

Having History shows and making thousands of postings online is to 100% wrong way to go about getting taken seriously by law enforcement and investigators.

Is this why FBI agent Carr spent so much time here working with skydivers and others ? Without question it helped.I think you are talking out your hat tacoman but please,do carry on.

You've went from all other suspects have been ruled out to almost all others ruled out in the space of a few hours , there isnt that many to begin with.

My understanding is that almost all of the main suspects on DZ have been categorically ruled out. The best way for some of these so-called suspects to gain validity in the investigation is to stop posting here and use back law enforcement channels. This Marla lady was, if anything, shrewd. Before the book was published, before any posting on this board or anywhere else, she worked very, very quietly through credible law enforcement channels. At that time she also subjected herself to a poly-graph test that was passed. Doesn't mean a lick since people believe their childhood memories regardless of their validity but it was the right steps.

Having History shows and making thousands of postings online is to 100% wrong way to go about getting taken seriously by law enforcement and investigators.

Taco, "Getting taken seriously by law enforcement and investigators" and being correct are two separate things.

How do you know that Marla took a lie detector test and passed? Your source?