47 47
quade

DB Cooper

The Decoded crew decided to use an infrared scanner on Kenny's old house. They found a hinged board covering a section between two joists in the attic area above what used to be KC's bedroom. When they pulled the insulation away, there was a hiding spot covered by the hinged board.

Robert, did you actually see hinges? A freeze frame of the show just shows a plywood board across some joists, but it doesnt show the full area of the plywood piece. I have pieces of plywood in my attic that are just layed across joists to provide an area to stand on or walk on. With insulation installed you cant see much. I just want to be sure that the MYTHistory Channel isnt spinning a loose piece of plywood into a hinged secret compartment.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

my point was right now and when the "expert" skydiver filmed his piece there were ZERO 727 that have approval from the FAA to haul jumpers, and i know of none outside the US either.

Quade- you may be able to answer this. I know Perris's jet is "down for repairs". is their flight status still valid by the FAA if it was functioning? That may not be the correct teminology. can they still put jumpers out of the jet?

Quade probably has better info but last I heard the FAA was insisting that one of the Perris DC 9s engines was timed out and needed an OH, based on calendar years since OH NOT ENGINE HOURS. The engine still was way below TBO by engine hours but its chrono age timed it out. Stupid rule. I hope that Perris can get some sane waiver. An OH on a JT8D engine is a HUGE expense. High six figures.

It is one sweet plane and a rare DC 9 version (I think only 10 DC 9-21s were made). I'd love to see it flying again.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Larry Yount, a skydive instructor, said that people pay money to actually imitate the D. B. Cooper jump using 727s on Season 1, Episode 6 of Brad Meltzer's Decoded.
is this true? I thought the Cooper vane would prevent this?

Our DC 9-21 jumpship at WFFC 2006 had a Cooper Vane but the removal of the rear airstairs and fuselage door for jumping made the vane ineffective.

The Decoded crew decided to use an infrared scanner on Kenny's old house. They found a hinged board covering a section between two joists in the attic area above what used to be KC's bedroom. When they pulled the insulation away, there was a hiding spot covered by the hinged board.

Robert, did you actually see hinges? A freeze frame of the show just shows a plywood board across some joists, but it doesnt show the full area of the plywood piece. I have pieces of plywood in my attic that are just layed across joists to provide an area to stand on or walk on. With insulation installed you cant see much. I just want to be sure that the MYTHistory Channel isnt spinning a loose piece of plywood into a hinged secret compartment.

so what would you see entering
KC's bedroom? Plywood hinged piece on his ceiling?
No drywall; just the ply piece? (The plywood piece
was 'under' the framing on the ceiling side, in the video ). That's obviously secret and out of view
from Kenny's bedroom side... duhhhhhhhh.

We know Kenny did house repairs etc. I imagine that place was good and cold. That attic access
is either original to the building or somebody made it ... to insulate the attic?

The problem with Decoded is they invent problems to decode where there was nothing to decode in the first place.

Their program on the White House corner stone
was one example. Big mystery .... who stole it! .... only to find out its still just where it was when the White House was built, and why wouldnt it be?
Not stolen by the Masonic Lodge at all! Harry
Truman'scavations a waste of time trying to
find it ... wasnt on the corner Harry excavated,
that's all.

But people need their entertainment.

There would be a DB Cooper case and writer's
fictionalising it ..... even if there wasn't one!
Consider that factoid.

I have been in hundreds if not a couple thousand attics in all stages of construction(licensed general contractor since 1985)and that was a "crawl board". That place has been remodeled at least two or more times since Kenny has lived there. Why not talk to the contractor, he'll know the real story...

I have been involved in shooting video and a participant in more than a few TV shows. I can hear the producer asking Mr. Blevins which profile to shoot to hide any facial imperfections and saying "doesn't that board look hinged". I recorded the show, backed it up and did a frame by frame and there were no hinges shown.

They don't call it a "show"for nothing.

People are still calling and that's a good thing Mr. Blevins.

I think Burnie may have something to hide but it's not a crime to spend the weekend in a trailer with a good friend.;)

"Mans got to know his limitations"
Harry Callahan

I think Burnie may have something to hide but it's not a crime to spend the weekend in a trailer with a good friend.

Occam says a trailer buddy vacation is a more likely explanation for the absence than a successful 727 hijacking, parachute jump, rendevous and escape. If Airstreams could talk what sordid tales they'd tell.

BTW Snowmman came to the EXACT same conclusion, CRAWL BOARD. Come on Robert, did you see metal hinges? I have a crow ready to cook if there were hinges. The crow watched the video with me, saw the freeze frame of the plywood piece and he isn't stressing at all. They are very smart birds.

Quade probably has better info but last I heard the FAA was insisting that one of the Perris DC 9s engines was timed out and needed an OH, based on calendar years since OH NOT ENGINE HOURS. The engine still was way below TBO by engine hours but its chrono age timed it out. Stupid rule. I hope that Perris can get some sane waiver. An OH on a JT8D engine is a HUGE expense. High six figures.

It is one sweet plane and a rare DC 9 version (I think only 10 DC 9-21s were made). I'd love to see it flying again.

That's my approximate understanding of the situation. I guess somebody would have to talk to Pat or Ben to find out the actual current status.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'm sincere when I say that I'm happy that we've all gotten what we wanted out of the case.

Me too!!

I taught quite a few hundred more people how to jump from a plane because of DB Cooper. I made lots of aircraft payments because of his hijacking caper.

To this day I chuckle to think how many dozens of students refuse to believe that I am not DB Cooper.

"DB Cooper taught me how to skydive" is so much better than the truth.

Thank you, DB, where ever you are.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

See below. If there were hinges why weren't they shown?

Kinda reminds me of that scammy live show Geraldo Rivera hosted where they were going to open a safe recovered from the Titanic wreck. Turns out there were National Geographic? photos of the same safe on the bottom of the ocean with the back totally rusted out. They only showed the front on Geraldo's TV show. They had the safe in a tank with live sharks. A real "show".

My crow is cackling and cawing. He's been around construction and remodeling too. The carpenters toss him food from their lunch pails. He gets nothing when he hangs out near law offces. He knows what a crawl board is.

To this day I chuckle to think how many dozens of students refuse to believe that I am not DB Cooper.

Work it Guru.

Any groupies? ;)

Hangdiver, can you chime in with your opinion?

it’s odd that the ceiling joists are only 2x4s in that hohinge.jpg.
it means there must not be much span, otherwise the ceiling would sag
in old cheap house though, that was used. (would have to be larger nowadays..2x6, 2x8, 2x10)

but the piece of cross bracing between the 2x4s is interesting

normally the ceiling joists would be spaced at 16” OC ? (nowadays)
but older houses might have had 18” or 24” OC spacing.

the spacing there seems more than 16”..more like 24”? It could be estimated using the 2x4 dimension as a reference

I wonder if the box is really the framing around the old attic access panel

did someone say the access panel was closed off? was this an old access?

It’s hard to tell which way the ceiling joists go because the insulation covers anything. Will have to look at the original video some more.

(above questions from our permafrosted colleague, the Indomitable Snowwmman).

Jamie,

Yes several of us such as 377, myself, quade, and a few other have been out the back of the DC-9 jet we are talking about that is owned by Perris Valley Skydiving. There are a few others who I have probably missed that have jumped it also and I apologize for ommitting your name. There are also a very few jumpers on the forum that got the opprtunity to jump the 727 at the WFFC the few times it showed there. That was what my recent traffic was about. Yount's statement i think is incorrect right now. There are no jets that can be jumped at this time outside of if the military is doing it.
So you learned somthing, us loudmouths have a little idea what Cooper felt going out that door.

Hangdiver, can you chime in with your opinion?

it’s odd that the ceiling joists are only 2x4s in that hohinge.jpg.
it means there must not be much span, otherwise the ceiling would sag
in old cheap house though, that was used. (would have to be larger nowadays..2x6, 2x8, 2x10)

but the piece of cross bracing between the 2x4s is interesting

normally the ceiling joists would be spaced at 16” OC ? (nowadays)
but older houses might have had 18” or 24” OC spacing.

the spacing there seems more than 16”..more like 24”? It could be estimated using the 2x4 dimension as a reference

I wonder if the box is really the framing around the old attic access panel

did someone say the access panel was closed off? was this an old access?

It’s hard to tell which way the ceiling joists go because the insulation covers anything. Will have to look at the original video some more.

(above questions from our permafrosted colleague, the Indomitable Snowwmman).

The issue from the standpoint of secrecy is what did it look like from the ceiling side in Kenny's day. Did
Kenny even add it? No proof of anything ... no effort
to get to the truth.

The 2x4 joist and rafters were trussed which is standard for that application and 24" centers is also standard but requires 5/8" rock on ceiling. You can use 1/2" but it has to be 16" centers for 1/2.
I'm not home at the moment so I'll check back when I've got the time.
I think your crow is safe 377.

"Mans got to know his limitations"
Harry Callahan

"No fantasy, no made-up stories, no 'because I said it happened' stuff. Real people, real evidence."

Supposition, innuendo, alliteration, straw men, and framing could also be justly claimed with just as much credibility. Get serious. The FBI blew you out of the water the first day. If you keep rewriting books as fast as we can poke holes you will go broke before you cover expenses. ;)
And I haven't even bought the book yet!! Bought the other one though.... Once you expose the faults of the story, it is hard to sell.
Three bad stories in a ROW and, well.....

How about changing the subject line at RE: so we know who you are talking about. The above post seems directed at me, but I know it is not and that it was directed at Blevins:

Handle the Subject like just like any other changes - please.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

I think Burnie may have something to hide but it's not a crime to spend the weekend in a trailer with a good friend.

Occam says a trailer buddy vacation is a more likely explanation for the absence than a successful 727 hijacking, parachute jump, rendevous and escape. If Airstreams could talk what sordid tales they'd tell.

BTW Snowmman came to the EXACT same conclusion, CRAWL BOARD. Come on Robert, did you see metal hinges? I have a crow ready to cook if there were hinges. The crow watched the video with me, saw the freeze frame of the plywood piece and he isn't stressing at all. They are very smart birds.

Strange I saw nothing on the board they raised. If there were hinges - WHY NOT show them?

Even from the underside -seems there would be evidence of the hinges - to be viewed. Without this we only have their words.

Also the TV crew seemed more involved in themselves than actually using film time to prove or disprove things...it came off as a book promo.

IF they actually wanted to present pros and cons - why didn't they analyze the picture rather than present it as "evidence" with NO explanation. Such as flight case or salesmans sample case - and white bag to large for bank bag along with the reflective value indicating it was a paper bag.

CK's financial position versus Duane's. Weber made hardly any money in 1970 and 1971, yet he bought 2 new cars and bought a trailer on a regular lot where regular homes where built(not in a trailer park)...although I never checked on the paper work - I am sure the county records will show it was a cash transaction. I also have a NOTE where he loaned his BOSS 5K. He paid his wife's move to CA from Ks...and then paid to send the ex-s daughter to CA at a later date.

These are things I never felt compelled to present - because my attempts at doing so have been down played by the thread and outside of the house and the loan and the tax reports I don't have a paper trail on the cars - just a picture and no evidence of loans in the tax reports (interest being paided out)...but, I doubt that was even required in those days.

I wonder if the county records on cars and the recorded names would show if there were liens on vehicles in 1972...I didn't check it out. Some searches cost money or are not available or they are information that is just not kept.

SKYWHUFFO,

I’ve never seen an episode of Lost, and I have no idea who Rupert and Richard are. So, I don’t know if that was a compliment or a slam.

Sugar watched every episode of the first couple of seasons and one of my daughters probably watched every episode ever aired.

I don’t have time for drama and fiction, I read this thread instead. Oh! Wait a minute! This thread is FULL of drama and fiction! My God! I could have been watching Lost!

Web Page
Blog
NORJAK Forum

SKYWHUFFO,

I’ve never seen an episode of Lost, and I have no idea who Rupert and Richard are. So, I don’t know if that was a compliment or a slam.

Sugar watched every episode of the first couple of seasons and one of my daughters probably watched every episode ever aired.

I don’t have time for drama and fiction, I read this thread instead. Oh! Wait a minute! This thread is FULL of drama and fiction! My God! I could have been watching Lost!

It is 11:33 and I am laughing my head off. Sluggo! You don't know who Rupert or Richard are?

Richard was a gay guy who ran around naked.

Rupert was an good ole boy who was very bolsterous.

Both played really good games on Lost....and I think that is what they are referring to was the way you would play the game and considering you do keep the facts straight.

SKYWHUFFO,

It is 11:33 and I am laughing my head off. Sluggo! You don't know who Rupert or Richard are?

Richard was a gay guy who ran around naked.

Rupert was an good ole boy who was very bolsterous.

Both played really good games on Lost....

SURVIVOR on CBS.

LOST on ABC was about people marooned on an island after a plane crash -

You people have it confused. Survivor is the
reality game show where contestants get voted off.
Finalists go to a jury who decides the winner of
$1,000,000. That is the program you people are
thinking of ..............

oh come on now Blevins, you've been asked many relevant and reasonable questions that you've chosen to either ignore or make wise cracks about yourself.
live witnesses versus dead?
the dead tell no lies, live persons do and have conflicting interests that often are financially motivated.
we do after all live in a financially motivated culture and to put it perfectly frank, I think you may have been duped by a deliberate scam here.
I applaud you for making revisions and think it would be great if you continue to revise and edit as more information comes to light.
problem is, you don't seem to be all that welcoming of new information.
before I even made my first post here, you were posting my name and doing everything you could to portray me as a nut, even suggesting that Caretakeral was my uncle or a close relative?
you tried to discourage my looking into and comparing FBI evidence with my own.
numerous posts telling me to "just give it up", "it's a dead end"
you're so adamant about your KC agenda you've either purposely or inadvertently ignored obvious irreconcilable problems with your theory.
height, eye color, skin, appearance in general, the plausibility of an accomplice being involved, the probability that his money came from a totally different scam...ect.
and now with this History channel show, you accused a man of being DB Cooper's accomplice on national television without any evidence to justify it.
I wouldn't be surprised if he were to take legal actions over it. and quite frankly he would have a good case.

that being said, I agree with you on your opinion of Sluggo, and a few others things as well.
but I say with complete confidence, KC was not DB Cooper.

'At the end of the day, what we have here is a ton of circumstantial evidence. None of Kenny's papers or effects point directly to him being D.B. Cooper. But when you stack them all together, could it ALL be coincidence?'

doesn't even need to be coincidence.
the camping trip? ever seen brokeback mountain?
there are many other plausible possibilities to that.
the deathbed confession? which wasn't?
maybe he was going to confess to being the Lindberg baby?, or admit to sticking his brothers toothbrush in his but, or any number of things...
the circumstantial evidence seems to point at a scam involving collecting extra paychecks from this company your "accomplice" worked for.
there may have been some other hanky panky going on as well.
none of this points to NORJACK.
even if he was lying about taking a camping trip, he could have been picking up hookers for all we know, or running drugs?
no chute, no traceable money, no fingerprint match, no dna match, no physical description match, not even the FBI psychological profile of DB Cooper comes close to matching KC.
the only thing that comes close at all is a sketch that the witnesses said at the time it was made they didn't feel it looked like DB Cooper.

not even the FBI psychological profile of DB Cooper

What profile would that be?

Didnt know the FBI ever published a formal
profile of Cooper.

A few people made a few comments/guesses
about who and what Cooper was but beyond
that .... what is there?

There may be an interal profile, but a published
one? Where is it. I would like to read it.

Old Bernie looked like a deer in a pair of high beams when asked about what he was doing in that Airstream trailer during the Thanksgiving holiday of November 1971.

Superb investigation and research to be sure. I can’t think of any other possibility other than aiding and abetting a hijacking.

Who would leave their wife’s behind on Thanksgiving?