47 47
quade

DB Cooper

Well that was pretty fuckin weak...

This thread is more entertaining...

And I say again...

Will the real Dan Cooper please stand up?

Agreed.

lol. tell us how you really feel. :)It was a little light on substance, I agree...definitely nothing to convince the skeptic in me...but I'm also a Abraham Lincoln fanatic and I had previously watched the Decoded show about John Wilkes Booth... so I wasn't expecting it to be much more than entertainment....so for that it was interesting.

And though George Clooney doesn't need to lose any sleep I think Blevins came across well on the big screen. :)
Also agreed - this thread is a lot more entertaining...lol...plus it's had a pretty long run in syndication:)

Smokin, I must confess that I (accidentally) slept through the first 40 minutes of the show. I'll try to see the show again in a few days. But the last 20 minutes weren't anything new after everything that has been on this thread.

In any event, I am a firm believer that Cooper died in the jump. And as someone has previously pointed out on this thread, when Cooper's identity is finally determined it will probably be a name that none of us has heard before.

Quade and the other DZ.com powers that be could probably make more than $200,000 by simply printing this thread as a book with no editing whatsoever. In this day and age, the TV rights would probably go for a huge sum.

Robert Nicholson

I couldn't really say anything about it, but the new edition of the book covers a lot that the TV show did not. One reason: The show had to use the original edition of the book in pre-production, which began in July.

We didn't finish compiling the additional evidence and pictures for the new edition of the book until December 18. The show finished filming in October. The interviews with Helen J were not done until the week of filming, and were not used in the show. I did those during time off between segments.

I haven't actually seen the show yet myself. It is only 9PM here in Seattle. But I can tell it's already been aired back east. My phone is ringing off the hook every friggin' two minutes. I'm unplugging it until tomorrow and letting everything go to voice mail...

Kewl

Its the Green AN-2

And that nasty ole 727

I know where they arrrrre... I know where they arrrrre;):ph34r::ph34r:

Just saw the Uncoded show; some thoughts:

1. Favorite line: "Robert Blevins is lying!" Quoting Bernie Geestman.

2. Biggest surprise: Ralph H being identified as the head of the FBI's investigation in the DB Cooper case. What happened to Charlie Farrell and Seattle?

3. Coolest surprise: the hiding place in the attic. It reminds me of a similar spot my dad created in the attic above his bedroom to hide all the Werhmacht weaponry he brought back from WWII and never told anybody about until he spilled the beans in a dementia-fueled confession 65 years later while eating a bowl of peach ice ceam with me in the kitchen. Mom freaked when she saw 'em!

4. Coolest factoid: KC worked for NWO for 20 years after the skyjacking.

5. Saddest tidbit: The Museum of Flight looks like a dump! Yeesch...c'mon MoF, mow the lawn and tiddy up the place.

6. Biggest disappointment: Zip investigation into other sources/crimes, etc. where KC could have pulled in big money.

And kudos to Robert for letting us see his face. It's neat to see the folks who we talk with so frequently on this forum.

They use the old Bing Crosby Composite and there nothing thing about Hazel eyes other than a copy of an item and you catch the color of eyes written as Hazel. They neglect to note that the witnesses all said Cooper had dark brown eyes.

The floor thing with the hinges - not unusual for a house that old and anyone who did not have a safe - I expect he might have kept coins there.

Nothing I noted unusual about his money. Duane bought 2 new car and a trailer (not in a trailer park) and then put central heat and air in it. I saw nothing unusual about his money situation for the times.

Coopers face was angular and KC has an oval face.

The friend of Christiansen I really felt sorry for - it sounded like he was dragged into this and with no preparation for the questions they were going to ask.

Individuals who know nothing about the search for Cooper nor the situations and subjects who have been presented in this thread - might bite into it hook and sinker.

Any production company will do an Option - but an option is nothing. They sit on it waiting for the FBI or someone to comfirm Christiansen is Cooper.

I was disappointed the women you showed pictures of did not appear. I expect it was because their testimonies may have come off a little weak.

Did they really surprise the man or was he aware they were coming?

Yea, I got brave enough to ask someone if they would record it for me and instead was asked to their home to view it. These people had asked me about Duane before and they invited me to their home to view it.

I was disappointed the production crew did NOT dig deeper...such as asking the prior owners if they were aware of the hinged attic and that NO testing was done to explain what the hiding place may have been used for.

In all they did a better job of presenting this than the programs done on Weber.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

Blevins,

The part about Cooper dying was intended for Robert99; my apologies for not making that clear. Also, I was not slamming you for making some money. I specifically said I can't fault you for it.

You and me aren't all that different. You got into this Cooper stuff as a writer looking to write and eventually sell a book. I got into this Cooper stuff to learn what I can, process it, and eventually know the truth as close as it can be known.

I'm happy that we both got what we wanted.

Also agreed - this thread is a lot more entertaining...lol...plus it's had a pretty long run in syndication:)

That is a good idea - this is a hell of a lot more fun. The Big screen features the Search for D.B. Cooper - except it is the generation for Computers and Survival TV programs - put it all together and betcha it would pull the newer generations into the Cooper Game....some hot shot just might go away with 200K or more.

Pick 12 individuals and tell them every question will be about the History of D.B. Cooper from 1971 to 2011...that is 40 yrs of stories - myths and truths. Wonder how many will know which one's are myth and which ones are truths. Each one is asked the same question in a sound booth.

PS maxium age will be 30 - that ought to be fun to watch. Some the really good ones here would serve on the panel asking the questions. Each Question has to have a proven range of answers.
Something like that might trigger enough interest to solve this and other unsolved crimes.

After 1 hr every contestant would be eliminated - and there would be NO winner. Last one has to answer 4 more questions. Each question is worth 50K.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

SafecrackingPLF says in part:

'You got into this Cooper stuff as a writer looking to write and eventually sell a book...'

No. I'm just the managing editor at AB. My job is to screen submissions and do editing of manuscripts. I've never been a D.B. Cooper investigator. I was asked to do some local interviews, that's all. The book was actually submitted by Skipp Porteous. I only got involved in the writing of the book when it became apparent that I was finding out a lot more than just some basic background facts on Christiansen. When that happened, I was sort of forced into the job of co-authoring the book. I really had no choice, since I did many of the interviews.

Me too! I was forced into it! Me, myself, and I.
It's a great adventure but I wont bother anyone
about. But watching you, I may now write a book,
or at least an article, in "Polyisoprene Digest"..

Well Mr. Blevins, congratulations on finding a way to cash in on this old crime. I certainly can't fault a man for making a buck.

99, And as far as Cooper dying in the crime goes - I wish there were a way to take that bet. You may want to double check your math and re-evaluate your conclusion. Just sayin'

Safe, you got out the tunnel and jumped out an actual plane yet? Do you know about object fixation? Do you know there are instances where a huge field has one tree (or other object) and the skydiver lands in it? Math (or rather stats, as I presume you are referring to probability) doesn't mean much then. Just sayin'.

I for one do not at all discount the possibility of Cooper's bones lying at the bottom of a river.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Sign up for a rudimentary comprehension course, or better yet, Dick, Jane and Spot, book one.:P

Al,

Why be so mean? You show a surprising lack of knowledge about parachute gear but I don't try to humiliate you, instead I just inform you. Why don't you try a similar approach?

This is a skydiving website not a government conspiracy website. If you are going to act superior I suggest that you first obtain an FAA Master Rigger ticket and a USPA PRO rating (I have neither).

The response was to Jason Cooper. Not 377. You have been nice. Jason is being his normal troll-self with half-literate comments, several in a row. :)

1. Favorite line: "Robert Blevins is lying!" Quoting Bernie Geestman.

That is impolite. The preferred term is "fabricating." Under certain conditions it could be considered an illegal hoax, punishable by imprisonment. My supposition would be the latter. B|

Read the entire presentation of Christensen's will.

And kudos to Robert for letting us see his face. It's neat to see the folks who we talk with so frequently on this forum.

Several people on this case are paranoid. They hide their whereabouts and can only be contacted through DZ. Some will not speak on the phone without leaving the house. Give you any clues as to the seriousness of the game you are playing in? They walk among us. I'm right up front, but I like my target picture a lot better than my fat face.

"No fantasy, no made-up stories, no 'because I said it happened' stuff. Real people, real evidence."

Supposition, innuendo, alliteration, straw men, and framing could also be justly claimed with just as much credibility. Get serious. The FBI blew you out of the water the first day. If you keep rewriting books as fast as we can poke holes you will go broke before you cover expenses. ;)
And I haven't even bought the book yet!! Bought the other one though.... Once you expose the faults of the story, it is hard to sell.
Three bad stories in a ROW and, well.....

It was very entertaining Robert, you did look a bit camera shy but that's a whole lot better than being TOO polished and coming off like a used car salesman.

I watched up in my gear room on the small TV so it wasn't real clear to me but...in the 'damning' photo of him dressed like Cooper, the briefcase appeared to be more of a pilots chart case or a salesman's sample case than the briefcase that was turned over for inspection.

Did I just see it wrong?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Sign up for a rudimentary comprehension course, or better yet, Dick, Jane and Spot, book one.:P

Al,

Why be so mean? You show a surprising lack of knowledge about parachute gear but I don't try to humiliate you, instead I just inform you. Why don't you try a similar approach?

This is a skydiving website not a government conspiracy website. If you are going to act superior I suggest that you first obtain an FAA Master Rigger ticket and a USPA PRO rating (I have neither).

The response was to Jason Cooper. Not 377. You have been nice. Jason is being his normal troll-self with half-literate comments, several in a row. :)

good god man, my name is right on the page in front of you and you can't even copy and paste it reliably, why should anyone take anything you say seriously?
I know to the antiquated that modern language is sometimes annoying and considered "illiterate", doesn't really matter.
in the UK "colour" or in the USA "color".
a rose is a rose by any other name.
in this modern multi national/multi-lingual world, even if a word is spelled incorrectly, so long as the reader knows what was meant, it's acceptable.
bitching about spelling and punctuation are pathetic attempts by a poster losing his argument, or just simply trolling.
now instead of crying wolf and victim, I suggest you find some proof to at least some claim of yours, and/or lighten up a little.

congrats on the History channel gig, radio whatevers, and your book.
haven't been able to check out any of it.
I don't get the channels and I won't be buying any books.
so would you explain to me what these posters are talking about when they say something involving KC was hidden in an attic? kind of sounds a little too familiar.

Airtwardo asks in part:

'I watched up in my gear room on the small TV so it wasn't real clear to me but...in the 'damning' photo of him dressed like Cooper, the briefcase appeared to be more of a pilots chart case or a salesman's sample case than the briefcase that was turned over for inspection.

Did I just see it wrong?'

From the caption on the photo in the new edition of the book:

'Kenny Christiansen returning to Unit # J-3 at the Rainier View Apartments in Sumner, Washington. There is a date printed on the front of the photo by the developer. Picture was taken three weeks after the hijacking, just before Christmas in 1971. He is also carrying a briefcase and a paper bag – the same type of items Cooper carried onto Northwest Airlines Flight 305.

The authors do not believe the paper bag and briefcase were the same ones used in the hijacking. The theory is that this is a staged picture, probably taken by alleged accomplice ‘Mike Watson’ and then hidden away by Christiansen as a sort of memento.

The real question is: Why would Kenny Christiansen stage a picture like this? It was discovered by his family after his death – hidden behind another picture in one of his old photo albums...'

We don't pretend to say the briefcase and bag shown in the picture were the actual ones from the hijacking. But the Christmas wreath on the door and the time stamp from the developer on the front of the picture tell us it was definitely taken just before Christmas, 1971. We just think it's a strange picture, that's all. Kenny lived alone at J-3, we already know this. We also wonder why Kenny hid it behind another picture for all those years.

oh god for stupid!
it doesn't look staged at all, he's walking thru a door and looks surprised.
and why would he hide it behind another picture? are you serious? because he was gay and took pride in his appearance to the point of hiding unflattering pictures. throwing it away would have been rude.
possibly hid it because he didn't really consent to being taken in the first place.

Jamie Cooper says in part:

'oh god for stupid!
it doesn't look staged at all, he's walking thru a door and looks surprised. and why would he hide it behind another picture? are you serious? because he was gay and took pride in his appearance to the point of hiding unflattering pictures. throwing it away would have been rude. possibly hid it because he didn't really consent to being taken in the first place...'

Sure. Maybe that's the reason. Or maybe not.

it's the most obvious explaination, just look at the guy, does he look like he's up to no good or does he look like He was ambushed with a camera while his hands were full?
I'll say this about you RobertMBlevins,
youre a good man who doesn't think like a criminal!
so you're going to have a really hard time trying to catch one who has eluded the best of the best for so long.
we live in an age where lies are obsolete. so let this be a lesson to would be scammers and/or half assed investigating.
any attempts to fabricate this story will be found out.

heres some triva I found interesting.
according to old tv listings.
if my father jumped around 8:15 as is believed, he would have had 45 minutes to make it to a bar or other location with a tv to watch his favorite show "the Johnny Cash show" the night of Norjack.
just thought that was kinda funny.
lol
notice the clothing and particularly the sunglasses in this pic.
kinda how DB Cooper might have looked if he had been caught huh?

"When I was just a baby,
My Mama told me, "Son,
Always be a good boy,
Don't ever play with guns,"
But I shot a man in Reno,
Just to watch him die,
When I hear that whistle blowin',
I hang my head and cry." = Johnny Cash

I have to go back and watch it again, but the "expert" skydiver they had on camera stated there were organizations today that had 727's in their fleet for jumping purposes. HHMMMM??? Shure would like to know where. Bet Perris would have loved to know this when they were fighting with the FAA on the DC 9 they have to jump which i thought was the only fleet jet approved for jumping and I am not talking about Don at the WFFC having one once.
I did not watch real close but saw numerous white lies lik this in the show. Robert, you did well!

Orange1, I know about object fixation in other fields such as racing, or baseball. There's a reason why it's optimal to look at where you want to go or in the case of baseball, what you want to hit. What does ANY of this have to do with math, statistics, probabilities, or resolving the issues that your opinion on the case produces? Unless you can find a way that a guy with a maximum air time of a minute can object fixate himself 12 miles or more with a wind of maybe 10 knots, then I'm not too sure how this particular thing relates to the case.

As far as Survivor goes, the analogy gave me a little mind candy for a good 30 seconds there.
Quade would be Jeff Probst.
Georger would be Russell.
Perhaps Sluggo or Snowmann would be Ozzie.
I would be Boston Rob.

Not all sure who would else would be who, but entertaining thought none the less.

Nice chatting with you all again. Take care of yourselves until next time... and Blevins, good luck on those sales and any other press you give the case. I'm sincere when I say that I'm happy that we've all gotten what we wanted out of the case.

The Decoded crew decided to use an infrared scanner on Kenny's old house. They found a hinged board covering a section between two joists in the attic area above what used to be KC's bedroom. When they pulled the insulation away, there was a hiding spot covered by the hinged board. Anyone could have installed that, of course, but I pointed out in the book that Kenny owned the house for twenty-two years, the longest of all the known owners, so the chances he was the one who put it up there are good.

So you & they, are saying having an attic acess
in a house/building is unusual?

That doesn;t add up to 'the torture room' or the
'hidden vault'.

Fresh insulation was noted. The old attic access
was dry-walled over. Melcher's sleuths had to use
the outside attic vent to get in ...

Does the property have an old well?
(probably). Better search it for money
& skeletons.

Kenny was obviously a mass murderer or he was
DB Cooper.

The 'strangeness' of the property proves it.
All old properties are automatically suspect for
criminal activity in some hi-profile cold case!

Not to mention fungal diseases, histoplasmosis,
ebola, and Shack's Disease. That place lites up
HOT on the DBC meter.

(That's Safecracking logic)

Orange1, I know about object fixation in other fields such as racing, or baseball. There's a reason why it's optimal to look at where you want to go or in the case of baseball, what you want to hit. What does ANY of this have to do with math, statistics, probabilities, or resolving the issues that your opinion on the case produces? Unless you can find a way that a guy with a maximum air time of a minute can object fixate himself 12 miles or more with a wind of maybe 10 knots, then I'm not too sure how this particular thing relates to the case.

I've clearly missed something. You are saying there is only one particular spot/area he would have had to hit to be able to die on the jump? And that otherwise we must assume he survived?
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I have to go back and watch it again, but the "expert" skydiver they had on camera stated there were organizations today that had 727's in their fleet for jumping purposes. HHMMMM??? Shure would like to know where. Bet Perris would have loved to know this when they were fighting with the FAA on the DC 9 they have to jump which i thought was the only fleet jet approved for jumping and I am not talking about Don at the WFFC having one once.
I did not watch real close but saw numerous white lies lik this in the show. Robert, you did well!

Amerijet had a 727 freighter approved for skydiving flights. It and I think others were used at WFFC in Quincy Illinois to haul skydivers MANY TIMES during the 1990s and perhaps even earlier. Don Kirlin, the WFFC organizer, did major battle with the FAA to get 727 jumps approved. When I showed up at Quincy the 727 was a no show that year, but I did get to jump a rare C 54 (DC 4).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dwYmWhFBL4&NR=1

I did finally get to jump the Perris DC 9-21 at WFFC at Rantoul Illinois in 2006. I spoke with the crew and learned in great detail all the hassles the Conatser family had to go through to get their DC 9 jump legal. The ex SAS DC 9 looked to be in immaculate condition. I poked around in the wheel wells which usually tell you a lot more than a nice paint job does. No leaks or seeps or caked grease, every hose was clean. Very impressive. The DC 9-21 is a rare variant optimized for hot and high operations, a perfect profile for a jumpship, fast climbing.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.