47 47
quade

DB Cooper

The static line is talked about but was developed AFTER these guys where trained. I will find it later and state it if I have not already done so.

P.S. From what I am reading this was developed in 1941 but not fully functional until later...in certain circumstances the static line is not feasible...weather conditions and terrain.

Might want to chat with Tiny Broadwick....She was using a static line back in 1914.
Tiny Broadwick History

ltdiver

So much for my 2 sources which are supposedly reliable. I have contacted the site Georger suggested and am waiting for a reply...as to the origin of static lines. My gut told me there had to have been static lines used prior to 1941.

This is the statement made "The most important development of the season (1941) was the introduction by Frank and Chet Derry of the static line release. This device, which eliminated the manually controlled ripcord, reduced the intensity of nervous reactions that ususally preceded first firejumps." There was also 2 other statements in the same source that would lead a novice to make the same interpretation.

Perhaps what the writer was trying to say - was "in relation to smokejumping", but he doesn't do that.

Thank you
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

.in certain circumstances the static line is not feasible...weather conditions and terrain.

Jo,

Do you have info that smoke jumpers made free fall ripcord pull jumps in the 1940s or at any time? That is something I did not know. I though all their jumps were S/L.

"After each jump the Derry brothers discussed tehnique and equipment. The jumping outfit consisted of an athletic supporter, ankle braces, combined back and abdominal braces, two-piece padded felt suit, gootball helmet with wire mesh face mask, stout gloves and loggers' boots." Page 126.

That was 1940 and according to the author they didn't employe the static line until 1941. On page 132 they discuss the static line.

They state that "when the 1941 jumping season passed without any serious or incapacitating injuries, Forest officers decided that "smokejumping is a practical possibility.""

So far not much has been reliable in this darn book - but, surely the author didn't take complete liberty.
This is Tall Timbers Pilots published in 1953.

Sluggo gave me this book when he was here - I read it then and then "shelved" it. Maybe it should have stayed shelved...but I pulled it out and read it again.

I am still trying to figure out how and why Duane's family moved to Ca. I know they had friends in CA, and these friends are the ones who helped Duane several yrs later when he got in trouble in CA and sent to McNeil. At the time of that photo Duane would have been about 10 or 12 yrs old or just a little older. Who did they go to CA to visit?

Sorry I didn't mean to say anything about Weber - but it is one of those things for which I have no answer. Only little things Duane said, and why this photo was SO important to him. His fascination with planes - it had an origin and a source...prior to his going into the service in 1941. Who were the frends that intervened on his behalf when he was sentenced to McNeil. There is a connection here, but how does one find something like this after all of these yrs - when all the individuals are deceased. Old pictures.

I have not read all your post..Im sure there not worth responding too as you have reuested.however I will request that that you controll your self from creating more fiction .Please remeber that people that know you and your past do judge you and your comments so have fun Jo and enjoy your ficticious comments for as long as you can I only wish that some day that you will tell the the truth. Or is that to imberising Jerry

Georger,

You and Jerry and others see Jo as malevolent. I just don't. She just doesn't get me spun up.

I think she teases, is blind to evidence against her hypothesis, stubborn, obsessed, but not a bad scheming malicious person.

Just my opinion. I know you disagree and see me as naive.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

P.S. From what I am reading this was developed in 1941 but not fully functional until later...in certain circumstances the static line is not feasible...weather conditions and terrain.

Huh? the vast majority of non-sport jumps are static line. look at any footage of paratroopers from WW2, it is all static line. the weather conditiions and terrain make no difference to the manner of exit (perhaps static line is more reliable in certain types of weather conditions though). As I understand it, when you are getting a lot of people out an aircraft in a short time at a pretty low altitude - ie most military and smoke operations - SL is really your only option. my husband was a paratrooper, these comments do not come from ignorance! weather and terrain by the way are not huge deterrents when an operation need to be done...
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Georger,

You and Jerry and others see Jo as malevolent. I just don't. She just doesn't get me spun up.

I think she teases, is blind to evidence against her hypothesis, stubborn, obsessed, but not a bad scheming malicious person.

I don't see you as naive, but as one of those (rare?) people who always look for the positive side in other people. It's a good trait :)
Jo keeps on claiming she has never changed her story but there are plenty of posts here (most recently by Georger) showing that she does. Personally, as may be obvious, I have just completely run out of patience with her. Even if there are bits of "evidence" she has been holding back, I don't think anyone here believes that whatever they are will be worth anything. Most of the bits she has let out turn out to be nothing but wild conspiracy theories. Certainly, the continuing teases on this front do NOT tally with someone who is tired after a 13-year search and looking for closure.

Georger,

Thats the kind of expression I appreciate and its well-taken here.

Actually I do kind of marvel at Jo's flexibility, given
her age. Her mental ability (agility) is far over
the curve, as these things go. Jo would be my number-1 candidate for metabolic and neurological tests in her age class. She must have damned good genes! On the other hand, we all see signs of breakage (entropy) now and then. In spite of
this Jo forges ahead and few can match her.
Most people justs give up after severtal tries,
probably a bit mystified and pissed they have been outdone by a 70+ year old woman. So I actually
agree with you on your own perceptions along these
lines.

I also see Jo as ruthless, stubborn, and slightly demented. If Jo actually had a case she would
be her own worst enemy. If Jo had a case I would
have backed her 100%; she probably senses that.

The sorry part is it will all go nowhere. But, it will
go further than most of the rest of us will stay with!

Jo is completely transparent but also a riddle, all
at the same time. It's no wonder people get fascinated...

Georger,

I don't see you as naive, but as one of those (rare?) people who always look for the positive side in other people. It's a good trait :)
Jo keeps on claiming she has never changed her story but there are plenty of posts here (most recently by Georger) showing that she does. Personally, as may be obvious, I have just completely run out of patience with her. Even if there are bits of "evidence" she has been holding back, I don't think anyone here believes that whatever they are will be worth anything. Most of the bits she has let out turn out to be nothing but wild conspiracy theories. Certainly, the continuing teases on this front do NOT tally with someone who is tired after a 13-year search and looking for closure.

When I first told Tom who Jo was I described her as
someone who was 'evolving' her story (over time).
I still stick with that description.

But then I try to put myself in other's shoes and
wonder how they see Jo, or what they think. Ckret
for example and other FBI people. Jo could be both
a curse and a blessing.

Before I had ever run into Jo personally or even read any of her posts or articles about her and Duane, I heard her name dropped by an offical person who referred to Jo as "that lady in Florida"
and he said it with a grimmace.

If nothing else I do think Jo has managed to achieve something she wanted to achieve, which
was to place a bur under some people's saddles...

I also think and suspect, the Cooper case may
be essentially simple. There may be a chain of simple explanations for everything. In fact the
ordinary distribution of random events almost dictates that (or something close to that) is the case. And if we had those simple facts, everything
else including Jo Weber would become abundantly clear.

How much can you pour into a small vacuum?
The answer is: " alot and more than most people
realise". Jo Weber and the Duane story are in that
vacuum somewhere.

weather and terrain by the way are not huge deterrents when an operation need to be done...

They are if you want to have the majority of your troops being able to walk after they land. All you have to do is look at the injury rates on D-Day landings to see that. And for the most part, they had very specific drop zones already established. A far cry from what Cooper would have been potentially dealing with.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

weather and terrain by the way are not huge deterrents when an operation need to be done...

They are if you want to have the majority of your troops being able to walk after they land. All you have to do is look at the injury rates on D-Day landings to see that. And for the most part, they had very specific drop zones already established. A far cry from what Cooper would have been potentially dealing with.

Isn't that the point though Quade - the military is prepared to suffer high injury rates to get something done? At least as far as I understand. In one of the extracts I posted a long time ago, I think while we were talking about Christiansen or Gossett, there was a paragraph describing how they would jump in bad weather over uncertain terrain.

By the way, am I missing something, or would weather/terrain have any bearing on whether you used SL or freefall to exit?

interesting article here:
http://www.historynet.com/leonard-rosen-82nd-airborne-paratrooper-in-word-war-ii.htm

some extracts:

Rosen ...survived four combat jumps in 1943-44. Even among elite paratroopers, such an achievement is noteworthy.

...by the time the men were scheduled for takeoff, in fact, the winds had increased to 35 mph, which was 20 mph faster than what was considered safe during training jumps. It was too late to turn back, however, and the mission was too important to forgo the airborne landings, so Gavin and the others proceeded as planned.... It was later estimated that about 80 percent of Gavin’s 3,400 men were dropped from one to as much as 65 miles away from their intended drop zone.

(this is re the invasion of Sicily)

The 82nd suffered 5,436 casualties during its monthlong stay in Normandy — 1,119 from Rosen’s 505th, a loss rate of 55 percent.

(it is unclear what % of this was during the drop and what was in fighting on the ground)

I don't know how to get this properly http://books.google.co.za/books?id=QFZ8G-SmVk0C&pg=RA1-PA12&lpg=RA1-PA12&dq=injury+rate+paratrooper+d-day&source=bl&ots=6B6SxU3ssg&sig=pAJejRrprbbI5gXzr3PGnkY4MF4&hl=en&ei=E1UZSvX4I5vMMvTd7YsP&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10#PRA1-PA12,M1
but on the page re June 6 it notes that "the parachute jump as a method of mass deployment rose and fell with World War II, since high attrition rates from injury and scattering of forces made it a liability". A couple of pages later on the book describes how many of the intended DZs were unidentified by the pathfinders because of cloud cover etc interfering with their own drops. It later talks about one colonel ending up with only 150 out of an expected 600 men because most of the drops had gone astray.

And more recently:
http://d.wanfangdata.com.cn/NSTLQK_NSTL_QK8234115.aspx

Although numerous articles have been published documenting parachute injuries, a search of the medical literature revealed none that detail casualty, attrition, and surgery rates for airborne operations conducted into actual combat. This study examines observed airborne casualty, attrition, and surgery rates in U.S. Army Rangers during combat operations in order to identify risk factors attributed to static-line parachute injuries and provide a comparison to estimated attrition rates. METHODS: Data were recorded on standardized ... There were 4 airborne missions totaling 634 jumpers that resulted in 83 injuries sustained by 76 Rangers (12%). Of those, 27 Rangers (4%) were unable to continue the mission and were subsequently evacuated. There were 11 Rangers (2%) who required surgery following evacuation. ...DISCUSSION: Many factors impact casualty, attrition, and injury patterns. Terrain and equipment load were notable associations analyzed in this study.

Looks like a very high load to me; and these guys probably had somewhat better control than the WW2 jumpers?

In any case; we have no idea where Cooper's DZ was, or whether it was intended, unintended (jumping later than expected) or if he simply had no idea where he would end up landing...!

Isn't that the point though Quade - the military is prepared to suffer high injury rates to get something done? At least as far as I understand. In one of the extracts I posted a long time ago, I think while we were talking about Christiansen or Gossett, there was a paragraph describing how they would jump in bad weather over uncertain terrain.

By the way, am I missing something, or would weather/terrain have any bearing on whether you used SL or freefall to exit?

interesting article here:
http://www.historynet.com/leonard-rosen-82nd-airborne-paratrooper-in-word-war-ii.htm

some extracts:

Rosen ...survived four combat jumps in 1943-44. Even among elite paratroopers, such an achievement is noteworthy.

...by the time the men were scheduled for takeoff, in fact, the winds had increased to 35 mph, which was 20 mph faster than what was considered safe during training jumps. It was too late to turn back, however, and the mission was too important to forgo the airborne landings, so Gavin and the others proceeded as planned.... It was later estimated that about 80 percent of Gavin’s 3,400 men were dropped from one to as much as 65 miles away from their intended drop zone.

(this is re the invasion of Sicily)

The 82nd suffered 5,436 casualties during its monthlong stay in Normandy — 1,119 from Rosen’s 505th, a loss rate of 55 percent.

(it is unclear what % of this was during the drop and what was in fighting on the ground)

I don't know how to get this properly http://books.google.co.za/books?id=QFZ8G-SmVk0C&pg=RA1-PA12&lpg=RA1-PA12&dq=injury+rate+paratrooper+d-day&source=bl&ots=6B6SxU3ssg&sig=pAJejRrprbbI5gXzr3PGnkY4MF4&hl=en&ei=E1UZSvX4I5vMMvTd7YsP&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10#PRA1-PA12,M1
but on the page re June 6 it notes that "the parachute jump as a method of mass deployment rose and fell with World War II, since high attrition rates from injury and scattering of forces made it a liability". A couple of pages later on the book describes how many of the intended DZs were unidentified by the pathfinders because of cloud cover etc interfering with their own drops. It later talks about one colonel ending up with only 150 out of an expected 600 men because most of the drops had gone astray.

And more recently:
http://d.wanfangdata.com.cn/NSTLQK_NSTL_QK8234115.aspx

Although numerous articles have been published documenting parachute injuries, a search of the medical literature revealed none that detail casualty, attrition, and surgery rates for airborne operations conducted into actual combat. This study examines observed airborne casualty, attrition, and surgery rates in U.S. Army Rangers during combat operations in order to identify risk factors attributed to static-line parachute injuries and provide a comparison to estimated attrition rates. METHODS: Data were recorded on standardized ... There were 4 airborne missions totaling 634 jumpers that resulted in 83 injuries sustained by 76 Rangers (12%). Of those, 27 Rangers (4%) were unable to continue the mission and were subsequently evacuated. There were 11 Rangers (2%) who required surgery following evacuation. ...DISCUSSION: Many factors impact casualty, attrition, and injury patterns. Terrain and equipment load were notable associations analyzed in this study.

Looks like a very high load to me; and these guys probably had somewhat better control than the WW2 jumpers?

In any case; we have no idea where Cooper's DZ was, or whether it was intended, unintended (jumping later than expected) or if he simply had no idea where he would end up landing...!

Ive been reviewing all the old posts (taken me days).
Several things stand out. (1) very high quality of
skydivers responding, generally. These people know
their stuff. (2) Survived-Not Survived split almost 50-
50%. Injured-Not Injured split almost 50%. Most common point of uncertainty in all opinions: "the
terrain he landed in". Skill level of Cooper does not
seem to play as large a role in people's minds as
"the terrain he landed in".

(3) Primary skill issue cited: Hard pull and stability.
Opinions seemed splintered and uncertain on these issues. No consensus.

(4) Issue of greatest unanimity (which surprised
me!): "The way Cooper tied the money off around
his waste". Almost every skydiver who posted brought
this issue up independently as something that
posed the most vulnerable link, in Cooper's bailout scenario.

Almost every skydiver who posted felt Cooper tying
the money bag off around his waste was a mistake
and posed serious problems for stability and losing
the money bag!

Almost every skydiver who posted brought this matter up independent of what was being discussed at the time. The unintended consensus of skydivers here
is there is a very good chance Cooper got separated
from the money bag, whatever happened to Cooper
himself.

And by extension, the fact the money turned up at
Tina Bar almost assures Cooper bailed in the lower
quadrant of Washington somewhere before Portland.

If there is a consensus on this point by the skydivers
who have posted it is that all other considerations
of flight path et cetera are secondary to the money
turning up at Tina Bar, and the money at Tina Bar
relates directly in some manner to the area Cooper
jumped into (whether that be in the Washougal,
LaCamas, or further west more toward Vancouver).

Nice summary, Georger. JUst one thing - about stability with the money bag attached. If Cooper was an ex-paratrooper he would have had experience jumping with heavy loads and probably would have known best placement for stability. There is still a question about the tying-on aspect though; at least for SL, as I understand the procedure was that the "pack" would be clipped on, not secured with rope (then once the parachute was open clips are released so that it hangs a few metres below as one descends under canopy. Not sure how it works for HALO jumps). I think the skydiver consensus seems to be that even skydivers sometimes underestimate the forces involved and lose stuff on exit, so if cooper was a novice chances are he would have too.

Incidentally, this page has some interesting stuff on the requirements for smokejumpers.
http://www.jobmonkey.com/parks/html/smokejumpers.html
another page i was reading also mentioned the physical requirements, including carrying a 110-lb pack over 3 miles in under 90 minutes as well as intensive training in, um, fires. We have been so focused on the "jump" aspect we forgot the "smoke" bit ;) I'm surprised Jo has not mentioned anything about Duane's knowledge of fires and fighting them, which would have been extensive if he had indeed been a smokejumper.
http://books.google.co.za/books?id=H1bz2kTjyxUC&pg=PT17&lpg=PT17&dq=smokejumper+equipment&source=bl&ots=XsdYm93k5d&sig=U-OlNj47RQLuqH0Oh9HpUrpqk1k&hl=en&ei=z6sZSrPUEaX0Mo_C_Z0P&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2

Incidentally, something that was niggling in an extract Georger posted earlier - where Jo had claimed they had seen paople paragliding (though she did not know the term) in 1978 or 1979 and that Duane knew all about it. The first "modern" paragliding flight took place in France in June 1978, according to Wiki. Duane must have been a quick learner. (btw skydivers, it seems the inspiration was an article by Dan Poynter although of course it had been talked about for a while and possibly a few people had launched off cliffs with parachutes before, that seems uncertain though?)

Nice summary, Georger. JUst one thing - about stability with the money bag attached. If Cooper was an ex-paratrooper he would have had experience jumping with heavy loads and probably would have known best placement for stability. There is still a question about the tying-on aspect though; at least for SL, as I understand the procedure was that the "pack" would be clipped on, not secured with rope (then once the parachute was open clips are released so that it hangs a few metres below as one descends under canopy. Not sure how it works for HALO jumps). I think the skydiver consensus seems to be that even skydivers sometimes underestimate the forces involved and lose stuff on exit, so if cooper was a novice chances are he would have too.

I thought it was remarkable (and unexpected) that
virtually every diver here went straight to the issue
of stability and rope tying around waste of the money
bag (21lbs) ... this seemed to stand out for divers
here in spite of what else was being discussed, and
in spite of everyone knowing that paratroopers carry
auxiliary loads, etc. Maybe implicit in the thoughts
of divers here was or is: 'that Cooper is a novice' ?
People didnt say that openly but maybe they were
all thinking it?

Ckret has always been convinced Cooper was a
novice, after Ckret got the opinions of dozens of people including military experts.

That said, I think it is the "rope tie" people here
saw as the vulnerable issue? Now if D rings and clips
had been used or were available, then opinions
change.

But Cooper actually asked for a back pack to take
the money in. He never got the back pack. But how
was he going to secure any back pack? And did he ask
for a back pack at all because he knew other standard
containers he might get, had flaws for securing them?
Does the fact he wanted a back pack make him
more or less knowledgeable in this whole matter?
Maybe he just assumed whatever rigs he would get
would have D-rings? (An assumption like that would
point to an amateur?).

But it is totally obvious the divers here know their
stuff! Pages 0-50 prove that hands down. Its a tribute
to everyone who posted in that section.

Incidentally, this page has some interesting stuff on the requirements for smokejumpers.

Another page I was reading also mentioned the physical requirements, including carrying a 110-lb pack over 3 miles in under 90 minutes as well as intensive training in, um, fires. We have been so focused on the "jump" aspect we forgot the "smoke" bit ;) I'm surprised Jo has not mentioned anything about Duane's knowledge of fires and fighting them, which would have been extensive if he had indeed been a smokejumper.

Incidentally, something that was niggling in an extract Georger posted earlier - where Jo had claimed they had seen paople paragliding (though she did not know the term) in 1978 or 1979 and that Duane knew all about it. The first "modern" paragliding flight took place in France in June 1978, according to Wiki. Duane must have been a quick learner. (btw skydivers, it seems the inspiration was an article by Dan Poynter although of course it had been talked about for a while and possibly a few people had launched off cliffs with parachutes before, that seems uncertain though?)

I still don't know what it was - :)
He explained what the guys were hooking up and how they controlled the gliders, kites, or chutes what-ever the heck they are. This was the only time in my life I have ever been upclose to something like this.

The walking and carrying of heavy loads and his mention of fire fighting has been addressed, but maybe not in this forum - It could have been Unsolved Mysteries or 101. I know that it has in the past been discussed, but may have been in communications with the FBI or Himmelsbach. I just put together another foot of "stuff" in my closet - so ain't no way I am going to try to find who and when I sent that information to yrs ago. I have discussed these things recently with others.

:)
:(If I repeated statements he made I would be accused of making it up. These things were discussed early on from 1996 to present with others. This connection is mentioned in my "stuff" and all of it is dated. I am no longer able to dig thru the "stuff". Someone else will have to do this someday in the future or they can just destroy it. I never trusted computers and made hard copies and kept a log of everyone I talked to until I got a computer in 2000 - took me a while to learn to use it.

Someday - just someday :|maybe I will be vindicated and not forever known as that damn crazy woman or a liar. Yes, it is true my story evolved with the things I learned and explored and theorized - but I have not lied and always go back to what I do know and do remember.

Many people including myself have tried to connect Cooper or a suspect to many things. Someone made a statement not long ago regarding Cooper - implying that the answers may all be very simple....

When I reversed and went back to the basics and what I do know about Duane and analyzed the things he told me and the things he held dear - I think that statement is going to be very true.

If you will notice this is where I have come - full circle - right back to the beginning. I had never taken the time to explore the beginning - to research those things he mentioned - I let myself get caught up in all of the Bad things I found about his history. I forgot about the boy and the man he might have been, before crime became a way of life.

Obviously he had a problem with authority -hence the 2 situations with the service connections. Somewhere in those early yrs he had a mentor, but in 1950 he fell backward and this spiral did not stop - it was out of control. He finds out in 1971 the will suffer the same fate as his mother. Can anyone imagine what must have gone thru his mind - how he had wasted his life and disgraced his family and that his life stood for - nothing...it was going to end and he was a total failure?

I am trying right now to think child-like. What does someone do when they reach that point in their life? Bruce might be good one to answer that and Georger is really good at this kind of thing. If Duane were Cooper - what made him do this and how and why did he do it. Did he have something to prove to someone? I think this is part of the simple answer. It was an irrational choice made by a desparately irrational person.

:)
Yeah the answer is simple but no one wants a simple answer...we all try to complicate it.

But Cooper actually asked for a back pack to take
the money in. He never got the back pack. But how
was he going to secure any back pack? And did he ask for a back pack at all because he knew other standard containers he might get, had flaws for securing them?
Does the fact he wanted a back pack make him
more or less knowledgeable in this whole matter?
Maybe he just assumed whatever rigs he would get
would have D-rings? (An assumption like that would
point to an amateur?).

Actually now that i think about it... i am wondering if he was planning on attaching the backpack below the chest reserve, or if in fact he never planned on using the reserve anyway (ref the discussion about the dummy reserve being gone) and was going to clip the backpack there? Of course we have no idea of any of this. It has been suggested that he brought carabiners with him, but he was seen tying (the money? was it ever clear exactly what he was seen tying?) around his waist...

Why am I not surprised that all of a sudden, despite all the discussion about smokejumpers and not a word being breathed, we suddenly have interest in and intricate knowledge of firefighting too... in response to a (tongue-in-cheek) question? :S

it is very likely that old cooper had a dificult,if not impossible pull on that NB6. the Parachute Industry Association(PIA) canopy volume charts show the 26' navy conical has a pack volume of 573 cubic inches.The 28' C-9 has a pack volume of 815 cubic inches.That is about 40% more bulk. if the NB6 that cooper jumped did indeed have a 28 ' canopy and NOT the 26 navy conical it was designed and sized for,then cooper most likely died.

Thanks for the info Nitrochute. Those differences in pack volumes are huge. It's easy to forget that surface area goes up as a square with increasing radius.

Sure sounds like a VERY hard pull to me if there was a 28 ft C9 canopy in an unextended NB6 container, although it would be great to have it actually assembled and measured.

Why on Earth would Cossey pack such a bailout rig that might not be useable? What is the explanation for that?

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

the nb6 harness that cooper jumped with has no attachment points for a front mounted reserve.and caribeeners are NOT strong enough to withstand opening shock

Yes they are, I've had terminal openings with gear much heavier than the cash, clipped with caribineers to the MLW.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Why am I not surprised that all of a sudden, despite all the discussion about smokejumpers and not a word being breathed, we suddenly have interest in and intricate knowledge of firefighting too... in response to a (tongue-in-cheek) question? :S

I simply let you know that firefighting and ranger training had been discussed before. If you would LIKE to come to my home and you have a few wks to spare please do so - you will find those mentions in communications to Himmelsback and the FBI along with communications with friends. A friend helped because I did not have a computer and only office access. This was all prior to 1998.

Like any other discussion a mention of something is cause to revisit an old and shelved piece of information. I am not 30 yrs old and do no have the computer knowledge to have all of this at my fingertips like you and others.

Orange

Maybe you are referring to the weak carabiners sold in hardware stores. The kind climbers use can carry VERY heavy shock and static loads. We used them in commercial fishing rigging with zero problems. I tested one by clipping together links about a foot apart on a continuous anchor chain. We set the anchor and backed down hard. No problem if it broke as the chain would still be intact. The device had no problem holding the load, just some slight deformation.