47 47
quade

DB Cooper

Sound slike Ckret got a dressing down from his seniors for being part of a messy internet forum discussion, or felt like it was about to happen if it continued.

Anyway, i hope he keeps in touch one way or the other and if anyone here helps solve his mystery then that would be something to be amazed about.

Good luck Ckret.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Sound slike Ckret got a dressing down from his seniors for being part of a messy internet forum discussion, or felt like it was about to happen if it continued.

Source or speculation?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The rig Cooper used did not have rings to attach a chest pack.

What purpose would this rig serve at a sport parachuting center? AFAIK, people used reserves in '71. They were probably required. The DZ may have stocked and maintained one-canopy reserve packs for pilots to rent, but they would have had a much bigger selection of sport parachuting systems with "main"/reserve capability.

Again, why this rig???

Was Earl Cossey the DZO? A jumper? Perhaps he had little/nothing to do with the DZ itself, and just owned the building or something. If he was a jumper, it's hard to believe he would have chosen the rigs he did when told to get two RTG sport systems w/reserves.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

you made a whuffo mistake. that is the serial number.the model number is NB6 or NB8.

This is pretty confusing. If that is the S/N and not the model number, wouldn't it be the S/N of the harness / container, not the S/N of the canopy?
Owned by Remi #?

well for starters, the jump pilot at the dz (or any dz) would have been required to wear such a rig if the door was removed.(and just good commonsense to wear one given the nature of the activity involvedand the subsequent dangers to the aircraft)that is why there was such a rig on hand.

you made a whuffo mistake. that is the serial number.the model number is NB6 or NB8.

Yep. Those rigs are in such common use that anyone who's even done a tandem will be familiar with them.

;)

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Source or speculation?

It's source. I phoned the president of the USA up and asked for confimation:S

The key word was 'sounds'.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Sounds like you don't know about the ambiguity of the english language? ;) Which is, of course, why I asked why if it was one or the other. The way you worded it could have been taken as he had emailed you with that information. Glad you cleared that up. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

This is pretty confusing. If that is the S/N and not the model number, wouldn't it be the S/N of the harness / container, not the S/N of the canopy?

I never saw if the sn was for the canopy or the container. Maybe i missed it. anyone know if the sn was for a canopy or a container?

As most of you know, for months we went back and forth about the canopy because it seemed to be recorded in the files erroneously.

I just got an email from Ckret with the following short message:
"Thought I would let you know that the mystery of whether the canopy was 28 or 26 is solved. It is a 28 stuffed in an NB6"

Read into it what you will, but my guess is that this was confirmed after speaking with Cossey. Either way, it would seem that Ckret was comfortable enough to make that point, and I thought I'd pass it onto the community.

No 26' Navy Conical.

OT, I went tunneling today.

anyone know if the sn was for a canopy or a container?

It was never stipulated. I would have thought the numbers and manufacturer would make some sense to people here.

My speculation is that it isn't the SN only because if it were, then there wouldn't be a huge bruhaha about the find. OTOH it would explain the lack of effort to go get the harness.

shouldent there be a sn for the following 4 items:

1) back container 1
2) back container 2
3) reserve 1
4) reserve 2 (of course this was a dummy)

any old timers know if the reserve " containers" had a sn associated? I doubt thre are, but this would be 2 additional s/ns

Sounds like you don't know about the ambiguity of the english language? ;) Which is, of course, why I asked why if it was one or the other. The way you worded it could have been taken as he had emailed you with that information. Glad you cleared that up. ;)

sorry, i was replying to the communication he gave the poster.

anyway.....

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

low_pull1 ,

If the canopy was a 28 stuffed into an NB6, then wouldn't there at least be a S/N for both the canopy and the container?

Wouldn't there be two sets? And if there's two sets, what were the numbers that Ckret posted on the previous thread (container or canopy)?

labrys,
Thank you! I'm a tunnel rat in the making!

...............l
ow_pull1 ,

If the canopy was a 28 stuffed into an NB6, then wouldn't there at least be a S/N for both the canopy and the container?

Wouldn't there be two sets? And if there's two sets, what were the numbers that Ckret posted on the previous thread (container or canopy)?

an older jumper has to jump in,,,,im not sure how th sns worked on the rounds, maybe we can ask in the riggers area, since these are the guys that record what they pack....... all newer (correct me if im wrong) canopies and containers have sns

seems that carr may have provided sns,,,but for what....canopies or harnesses.....

the military did not use serial numbers on most of their harnesses /containers.they used to ,however stamp the serial number of the canopy onto the container(at least on army chest packs)i have never seen one on an nb6/8.
as to the 26 ft/ 28 ft canopy...all i can say is that as a rigger and having packed lots of nb6/and nb8 s,if cossey had a 28 ft canopy stuffed into the smaller nb6 container,then at the very least cooper had a hard pull(or an impossible one).bet they find his body at the end of those buried lines.