47 47
quade

DB Cooper

Quick note (not pretty)

Elevation at my marker 408 ft. MSL

Fox news Video that I took still from (it is the Baltimore Sun Websiute):
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation/bal-cooper0326,0,5022068.story?track=rss

Safe... I'll have you a map as soon as I snag lunch (it's 14:36 here.

Sluggomonster

Web Page
Blog
NORJAK Forum

Cooper got two main chutes and two reserves. My phone has been ringing non-stop since 6:30 AM this morning central time.

I haven't been able to open any of the attachments on the site. But, I will state that if this turns out to be Cooper's chute it is a precise fit.

If this site is closer to the Powerlines to the West of Amboy or if it is also accessible to the rail lines East.

Both the Power lines and the rail lines take me to the points near Battleground and Dollar Corner which seemed to be his focus on that 1979 trip. I lean more toward the rail lines because of somethings he said, but just below Battle Ground from what I found on a map takes me to a place he took me too. I did not have the time in 2000 to go to these places or to check them out because no one understood what I was talking about.

I later found this area thru help from this forum and some maps that were sent to me. I am also not a good judge of distance and we were working with a time constraint in 1979 when I was in WA. The tower - a place he buried something - was below Battleground - but, he had me so turned around that I didn't know where I was, but he did. I do know we went North from the old 500 for several miles and then turned West and then back South and then to I-5.

I assumed from something he said that we were South of Battleground when he took me to a place that some towers used to be...in the woods down a grown-up dirt path. When he didn't find the tower he thought he had missed his turn, but at a few moments he seemed to be satisfied that he was in the right place and told me about the shed and tower that used to be there and that he buried something behind the shed...this is far below the landing site as I can determine from what I am reading on the site and the news.

He pointed out power lines (which I could not see))and said you could walk for miles under them (I have to assume there was no growth there in 1971), He made a statement about powerlines and that you could walk for miles - powerlines intersect with the pipeline which take you toward Camp Bonneville. But a little story he told me makes me think he came down to that area by rail - a pump car, but I have no proof of this just a joke he made and the fact that the rail line crosses the pipeline. That pipe line crosses both the powerline and the rail lines before continuing into Vancouver...also the power line crosses the pipelines West of Battle ground. I know that he had me real turned around in that area and there was no way I could follow it with a map......

I do not know if the site of this chute is closer to Amboy or Bald Mtn. The map I have has NO detail, but does show the rail line going S from Amboy and the powerline going South from Bald Mtn. My computer is on blitz and I cannot down load XXXX.
I am not going to worry myself about it until the FBI says that the chute was one Cooper jumped with. If it is then there is no doubt left in my pea brain that Duane was Cooper.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

Cooper got two main chutes and two reserves. My phone has been ringing non-stop since 6:30 AM this morning central time.

I haven't been able to open any of the attachments on the site. But, I will state that if this turns out to be Cooper's chute it is a precise fit.

If this site is closer to the Powerlines to the West of Amboy or if it is also accessible to the rail lines East.

Both the Power lines and the rail lines take me to the points near Battleground and Dollar Corner which seemed to be his focus on that 1979 trip. I lean more toward the rail lines because of somethings he said, but just below Battle Ground from what I found on a map takes me to a place he took me too. I did not have the time in 2000 to go to these places or to check them out because no one understood what I was talking about.

I later found this area thru help from this forum and some maps that were sent to me. I am also not a good judge of distance and we were working with a time constraint in 1979 when I was in WA. The tower - a place he buried something - was below Battleground - but, he had me so turned around that I didn't know where I was, but he did. I do know we went North from the old 500 for several miles and then turned West and then back South and then to I-5.

I assumed from something he said that we were South of Battleground when he took me to a place that some towers used to be...in the woods down a grown-up dirt path. When he didn't find the tower he thought he had missed his turn, but at a few moments he seemed to be satisfied that he was in the right place and told me about the shed and tower that used to be there and that he buried something behind the shed...this is far below the landing site as I can determine from what I am reading on the site and the news.

He pointed out power lines (which I could not see))and said you could walk for miles under them (I have to assume there was no growth there in 1971), He made a statement about powerlines and that you could walk for miles - powerlines intersect with the pipeline which take you toward Camp Bonneville. But a little story he told me makes me think he came down to that area by rail - a pump car, but I have no proof of this just a joke he made and the fact that the rail line crosses the pipeline. That pipe line crosses both the powerline and the rail lines before continuing into Vancouver...also the power line crosses the pipelines West of Battle ground. I know that he had me real turned around in that area and there was no way I could follow it with a map......

I do not know if the site of this chute is closer to Amboy or Bald Mtn. The map I have has NO detail, but does show the rail line going S from Amboy and the powerline going South from Bald Mtn. My computer is on blitz and I cannot down load XXXX.
I am not going to worry myself about it until the FBI says that the chute was one Cooper jumped with. If it is then there is no doubt left in my pea brain that Duane was Cooper.

It makes no sense to me as to why you would have gone through all that if Duane was not cooper.
From all the stories you have told over the past year, i personaly have no doubt in my mind that duane was cooper.

If their is evidence that says he is not then that evidence to me is misleading. Someone has to know who db cooper was and i 100% belive that you are that person. I hope one day we get to find out that he was your husband. On the fip side, maybe the FBI will then come and confiscate all your assets:D

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I notice what you're saying, he seems very elated.

I would be cautiously optimistic if I were him. You're also right, it's ODD that he did not come here first to ask some simple questions.

As for what he may have been thinking?? Hmmm... "Oh s***, this is unbelievable! I'm about to be world famous... uh oh, wait a second, if this is it, then that means.... ah dammit. Cooper lived"

Okay okay, I'm stretching there...
But if I feel like a kid on Christmas, just imagine how HE FEELS!!

After the way he got treated last time I'm hardly surprised he's not back. I'm probably more surprised he just didn't leave earlier of his own accord.

btw nothing yet means anything about whether cooper lived or died. a number of people have posted the theory that he died on impact and someone found him, took the money and buried him with his gear. until we know if it is the right canopy and if there is a body attached to the harness (as there was clearly something down there preventing the kids from pulling it all the way up) any conclusion about whether he lived or not would be pure speculation.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

btw nothing yet means anything about whether cooper lived or died. a number of people have posted the theory that he died on impact and someone found him, took the money and buried him with his gear. until we know if it is the right canopy and if there is a body attached to the harness (as there was clearly something down there preventing the kids from pulling it all the way up) any conclusion about whether he lived or not would be pure speculation.

No shit Sherlock!

At the same time you have someone claiming to be DB Coppers wife here posting. Maybe she is proof that he lived?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

"Its not really the government, its the archaeological method. You don't want to just start digging and mess up what could be in a ground, it's very methodical and tedious."

Good point...
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

"Its not really the government, its the archaeological method. You don't want to just start digging and mess up what could be in a ground, it's very methodical and tedious."

Good point...

Have the started the digging yet? it has been 2 weeks.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

No shit Sherlock!

At the same time you have someone claiming to be DB Coppers wife here posting. Maybe she is proof that he lived?

Lots of people have claimed lots of things and a few have believed them passionately. There is a VERY persuasive argument on another board arguing that Mayfield was Cooper. (Not saying I buy it - but that it is very well argued. That board by the way also suggested Duane Weber was in prison when the skyjack took place.)

"Sherlock" would like to see more than conjecture and ramblings somewhere. Just because people believe something doesn't make it the truth.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

No shit Sherlock!

Lots of people have claimed lots of things and a few have believed them passionately. There is a VERY persuasive argument on another board arguing that Mayfield was Cooper. "Sherlock" would like to see more than conjecture and ramblings somewhere. Just because people believe something doesn't make it the truth.

Um.... who has said that it does?
All i have said is that i believe in skyjack that she is correct. Kind of loike those freaks that believe in god and jesus being something more than a travelling bum. Does not mean it is fact.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

A few questions that I haven’t found answers for:
And it REALLY sucks that ckret is not here to answer(I can only assume he sent some nasty PM`s or something after reading the other thread because he was banned and people obviously trolling the thread and throwing out PA`s left and right were not)

1) When was the Parachute actually discovered?
2) When was it actually given to ckret?
3) Why the hell did he only spend 45 Minutes looking around where it was found? Sorry but I have only a passing interest in this case.. If something like that popped up, There is NO way would leave after 45 minutes. I dont care if it took days, Find where that chute came from and look for a body and/or the harness.
5) If all this happened a couple weeks ago, Who has been protecting the "Scene". Do you have any idea what DB Coopers Harness would bring on ebay??:S

Some things don’t add up here.

The chute was deployed, not packed.

If it was Cooper's chute, someone pulled the RC. Probably not a no-pull, which would then require that he died even though he pulled the RC.

You're correct. If this is the area where Cooper landed, you're left with 2 choices: Somone found at least the $$ and then brought it to the river, or Cooper lived.

All of this, of course, is speculation because no one has confirmed this is the chute.

Kind of loike those freaks that believe in god and jesus being something more than a travelling bum. Does not mean it is fact.

Let's just stick to the topic and facts at hand and not try to stir up fights that don't need to be stirred up outside the context of the thread.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

NOTE: This is not “FACT”.

This is not even “SPECULATION”.

This is just Sluggo’s musings.

For years we (the amateur sleuths of the DB Cooper mystery) have discussed how he could have possibly survived after jumping into the “badlands” of SW Washington. To quote one program: “Some of the most isolated and foreboding terrain in North America”.

We let’s suppose that my “Parachute Find” marker is exactly where he landed. Not that I believe this, just let’s suppose for right now.

To make his way South to a major road would have been a grueling ½ mile (2250 feet) hike through the dense forest to Highway 16 (Cedar Creek Road). He would have had to climb 153 feet (elevation) and descend 172 feet of elevation for a net change of -18 feet. This would include scaling an almost insurmountable 16% grade. [See: Profile South to Cedar Creek Road.jpg, attached] Surely he would be exhausted , if he did not died of hypothermia.

Going out the other way (North) to get to a smaller road (Spurrel Road) he would have had to hike a demanding distance of 138 feet. This would require descending 16 feet across a challenging 6% grade. [See: Profile North to Spurrel Road.jpg, Attached].

Just some Sluggo musing.

Sluggo_Monster

Web Page
Blog
NORJAK Forum

All of this, of course, is speculation because no one has confirmed this is the chute.

Truth.

I find it absolutely amazing how many people are saying it confirms this or that theory when there is no proof at all that this is even one of the parachutes involved in the case.

I actually find it rather silly that the FBI has fed into this near hysteria over a piece of rag in the dirt that as of this posting hasn't proved anything yet. If it turns out this is not one of the parachutes involved, then some folks are going to look mighty silly.
quade -

NOTE: This is not “FACT”.

This is not even “SPECULATION”.

This is just Sluggo’s musings.

For years we (the amateur sleuths of the DB Cooper mystery) have discussed how he could have possibly survived after jumping into the “badlands” of SW Washington. To quote one program: “Some of the most isolated and foreboding terrain in North America”.

We let’s suppose that my “Parachute Find” marker is exactly where he landed. Not that I believe this, just let’s suppose for right now.

To make his way South to a major road would have been a grueling ½ mile (2250 feet) hike through the dense forest to Highway 16 (Cedar Creek Road). He would have had to climb 153 feet (elevation) and descend 172 feet of elevation for a net change of -18 feet. This would include scaling an almost insurmountable 16% grade. [See: Profile South to Cedar Creek Road.jpg, attached] Surely he would be exhausted , if he did not died of hypothermia.

Going out the other way (North) to get to a smaller road (Spurrel Road) he would have had to hike a demanding distance of 138 feet. This would require descending 16 feet across a challenging 6% grade. [See: Profile North to Spurrel Road.jpg, Attached].

Just some Sluggo musing.

Sluggo_Monster

What about he landed somewhere different from the find and used the parachute as a blanket to protect him from the weather and then buried the parachute.
He may have kept the parachute with him on his trek for some time. He might be buried close to that parachute without it being attatched to him. Maybe he died in his sleep?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Welcome! Very happy to see you and others posting to this thread.

According to the news, the find was about 2 weeks ago.

I have no clue about the rest. I'm with you on the 45 minute thing. It takes 2 hours and 15 minutes to make the drive from Seattle to Vancouver. More if he left in the afternoon.

Why not take the time to really search? Perhaps he was unprepared.

Ckret, if you're reading, write me back and I'll arrange to get you some help in digging over the weekend.

Some things don't add up, I agree. This seems to be a hasty move to the press without at least probing the DZ community. Further, if we could figure out the location of the find given his comments on TV, then locals could be there right now harassing the area. Valuable evidence needs to be secured.

It's been well known that NO ONE is actually investigating the crime anymore. Despite the news reports, the scope of investigation was pretty much right here in his spare time. It's ashame. It will be even more tragic if they don't retrieve the container to at least verify if this is it or not.

Correct. No one has said this confirms anything, because it has not been confirmed this is the chute.

If it were the chute, it confirms the original calculations of the FBI.

From there, we can debate what that would mean (someone moved the money)...

But to say the find itself confirms anything is too premature.

Welcome! Very happy to see you and others posting to this thread.

According to the news, the find was about 2 weeks ago.

I have no clue about the rest. I'm with you on the 45 minute thing. It takes 2 hours and 15 minutes to make the drive from Seattle to Vancouver. More if he left in the afternoon.

Why not take the time to really search? Perhaps he was unprepared.

Ckret, if you're reading, write me back and I'll arrange to get you some help in digging over the weekend.

Some things don't add up, I agree. This seems to be a hasty move to the press without at least probing the DZ community. Further, if we could figure out the location of the find given his comments on TV, then locals could be there right now harassing the area. Valuable evidence needs to be secured.

It's been well known that NO ONE is actually investigating the crime anymore. Despite the news reports, the scope of investigation was pretty much right here in his spare time. It's ashame. It will be even more tragic if they don't retrieve the container to at least verify if this is it or not.

I think the entire skydiving community would come out and help him dig. I would fly from australia to be part of this.
If this is his canopy it is a MASSIVE find and huge moment in history to so many people.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I don't think it is DB's chute, so I certainly don't know if it is his chute.

If a burried parachute was found in Tenneesee, it certainly would not have people running to the FBI, but considering where it was found, it certainly deserves investigation.

BTW: One of the reasons that the digging hasn't begun (assuming it really hasn't) could be due to the NAGPRA Act (Native American Graves Repatriation Act, (I think). For those who don't live in the PAC NW that may seem "far-fetched", but I have done some digging in that area and if you find bones, or other burried artifacts, you must be assured that they aren't Native American. (See Kennewick Man}.

Please don't take this thread down the NAGPRA path. If you want the discuss the pros and cons of NAGPRA, send me a private message.

Thanks,
Sluggo_Monster

Web Page
Blog
NORJAK Forum

The chute was deployed, not packed.

Something I've been thinking about:

It seems like a grader or dozer could easily "unpack" a rig and drag the canopy and lines out of the container. If the container in question was the belly wart, "deploying" the canopy with a grader would be even easier, and the actual container would be a lot easier to lose (harder to find later) than a main container/harness assy.

Now let's say (as someone upthread suggested) that it was the "dummy" reserve that got "deployed". There's the unrecognized S/N, there's the 1946 canopy build date, and there's the lack of a container/harness. Also, it's possible (likely?) that there won't be any records for that reserve after it became a "dummy". Just a thought.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

It's been well known that NO ONE is actually investigating the crime anymore. Despite the news reports, the scope of investigation was pretty much right here in his spare time.

That certainly can't be true otherwise why would FBI Special Agent Robbie Burroughs be there? Certainly there are more people involved (now) than "NO ONE" and certainly more time (and tax payer money) is being spent than just Carr's "in his spare time".

Not that I want to take this too far and cause a lot of thread drift here, but as far as I'm concerned, the entire thing is a waste of tax payer money and a distraction from solving crimes that actually can be solved.

It's a bit like trying to solve the Jack the Ripper cases . . . in the end, just a pointless academic exercise. At some point you have to let it go because it simply can not be proven no matter what.

No, bigway, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that even if this is the parachute; unless a body is found attached to the harness buried in the ground AND there's still a sack of money attached to the body AND the numbers on the bills check out . . . it still proves nothing as to WHO committed the crime.

(Yes, I saw your snide comments before you decided to delete them.)
quade -