47 47
quade

DB Cooper

But is that location (~45.71746, ~122.759605) the right place? Have you ever seen an "official" reference to that location? The waymarking.com page is the only precise ID of the location I've seen, but there's nothing to support it's truthfulness.
--------------

...It's actually called Tena's bar.....

But the sign in the pic says Tina Bar. Could "Tena's" be wrong, or is the sign wrong? Any ideas?
--------

I know the area, but *barely*.

Useless (but true) trivia:

When I lived in the area, we would sometimes go to "Frenchman's Bar" at night with (more often w/o:() girls we'd met in town to "party". There was no city/county park there at the time, and to enter the area we had to pass through a gate. At the gate was a metal box placed there by the land owner asking for a $.25 fee to access his/her property!! This was in the middle of nowhere, and in the middle of the night, so we could have just ignored the fee, but we always paid because we thought the guy was pretty cool for allowing us onto his land. We also got a kick out of actually paying because we assumed pretty much nobody else did. I have no idea which part of Frenchman's the gated road entered, though.
--------

Just found another (non cooper discussion thread) reference, this time to "Tina's Bar" here.

Tina Mucklow's Bar?

----

-----

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

If the sign is actually from the area in question, then I'd say someone somewhere wrote an "e" instead of an "i".

Ckret spelled it with an "e" and I've seen other Cooper enthusiasts spell it that way before he did. Someone must have written it down wrong.

I will visit this area when I make it out there this summer.

I will also try to get someone knowledgable on the phone this week and will ask copious questions.

I've wondered why people purchase vacant land like that. The Fazio Bros owned a bunch of it in that area, none of it is useful for anything. There might a few structures there now, but nothing significant from what I can tell. Dropping some quarters into a box at least makes a little sense.

Missing picture from Post #374.

My post should have had this pic showing what is purported to be the beach where money was found attached. Picture is probably very recent.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Could be. Certainly looks consistent of the river.

If someone said this was the sand bar, then I have no reason to question it.

My question is where on the beach was it recovered?

I'm going to put in a phone call to see if I can find out a little more info.

I will say this, if your picture were actually the area where it was recovered, I'd have no problem concluding that the river is brought the money there.

Right now, it's one of three possibilities...
Excellent research Jim! Extremely helpful. Post anything else you can.

Jo Skyjack71 wrote

"I know what he did. We were living in Ft. Collins when the money was found. I had picked up the newspaper and laid it on the dining room table commenting about the article on the front page but did not have time nor interest to read the entire article. That newspaper disappeared - he took it with him.

A couple of wks later the TV was having a special on one of the programs like America's Most Wanted and doing a special segment about Cooper. I wanted to see that program and suddenly out of the blue Duane has arranged for us to go to dinner and to a bar on a WEEK DAY NIGHT - I remembered commenting to the wife (they owned and ran a local dry cleaners, but I do not remember their names) that I was sorry I wasn't very good company because I really wanted to see that program and she said she did too.

Within a couple of wks Duane annouced that the company was taking his territory away from us and giving it to someone else. I would find out yrs later that he resigned. He was making fantastic money and doing a good job - I couldn't understand why.

Now in retrospect I realize he was on the run - he was afraid someone would finger him and he wanted to get back to the annonmity of the South. Within in two wks he was gone - leaving me and my daughter in Ft. Collins. She was a senior and I was not pulling her out of school. He left in March and came back for her graduation in May and to help us pack."

If Duane thought the money find and the TV show would lead people at his Colorado job to suspect him as being Cooper, wouldnt his abrupt departure make him even more of a suspect? His quitting a great job and giving his wife a phony reason is definitely odd, but I don't see it as evidence that Duane was Cooper.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

I will say this, if your picture were actually the area where it was recovered, I'd have no problem concluding that the river is brought the money there.

Yep, it would be an ideal place for floating debris to wash up, but it's very hard to believe that it floated from any possible LZ all the wat to Frenchman's Bar.

What I want to know is if Cooper was honest enough to pay the 25 Cents at the gate when he went there to plant the money. ;)

-NickDG

ha ha ha... good one.

I think, maybe he would have been. He was into ripping off "someone" but when it came to pay for his drinks, he did. He also offered cash to Tina. I just don't think he was THAT cheap, ha ha ha ha.

A guy quits his job telling his boss that his wife wants to move back south. Why would anyone suspect anything?
More curious, why did he lie and make that move? From what skyjack posted, there was apparently no reason. No one will ever know for sure.

Certainly not enough to make a conclusion one way or the other. But, certainly not inconsistent with his own confession that he later made in 1995 either.

For Jo's peace of mind I kinda hope Duane Weber was Dan Cooper, but I just have not seen evidence that convinces me that he was. Cooper knew a lot about planes and at least a little about jumping. I have seen no evidence that Duane Weber had that specialized knowledge or experience. I am keeping an open mind though.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

You're right, there is no evidence that Weber possessed such knowledge.

She has said (from hearsay) that he worked as a ground crew for a few months. She has also said that his brother worked for Boeing in Renton.

Hearsay for the first. More solid on the second... but neither necessarily equate to such knowledge.

If he did do it, it sort of sucks that she got rid of almost all his belongings before a friend asked her if she ever thought he might be Cooper...

If he didn't do it, then it doesn't make much difference I suppose.

The article is dated 3/24/08, so it's new. Haven't found any other references to it yet. Very interesting.

Here's a Wikimapia link centered on Amboy:

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=45.909898&lon=-122.446833&z=10&l=0&m=h&v=1

Thanks!

-NickDG

Yeah for kids! Looks like they keep discovering what the adults fail to find. :D

Too bad they cut the lines. If it is indeed Cooper's parachute, there's a rig down in there...and possibly Cooper himself. :o

If Carr positively ID's the canopy, might it put a dent in this new film project?

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Well spotted Nick! This could be fun... like another poster said, also seeing what else is down there.

This bit makes one wonder though -

Carr, who's now in charge of the Cooper case, says the parachute was found near the center of the original jump zone identified by searchers in November 1971, between the towns of Ariel and Amboy, Washington.

...as to why they didn't find it if they were looking in the right place.. and why the property owner (or his predecessors) never found it before. Unless.... [jumps on speculation bandwagon again ;)] the original owner DID find him and, like some have speculated, buried him and kept the money. I guess we'll find out soon enough!
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Sounds like somebody buried the canopy they found. Who knows where it came from.

Based on the satellite image shown on the news video, THIS map link might show the general area. It looks like it's on a line between Bald and Green Mountains. Too see labels for them, the view needs to be changed to "terrain".

-NickDG

Why do they need the "heavy equipment", anyone know? Sounds to me like it is not just the canopy down there but then I have no experience in digging up ancient canopies suspected of being evidence. Would be nice if Ckret would pop in :|

Part of the chute remains buried in the field and will need to be dug out with heavy equipment.

Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Why do they need the "heavy equipment", anyone know? Sounds to me like it is not just the canopy down there but then I have no experience in digging up ancient canopies suspected of being evidence. Would be nice if Ckret would pop in :|

Part of the chute remains buried in the field and will need to be dug out with heavy equipment.

Perhaps it got buried when the land owner was digging to prepare the new road?

ltdiver

Too bad they cut the lines. If it is indeed Cooper's parachute, there's a rig down in there...and possibly Cooper himself.

So what if the lines were cut? Won't there still be a rig down there if it was Cooper's parachute? I don't unerstand how having the lines cut has any bearing on the analysis of what was found.

Look on the bright side - now that the canopy and harness are 2 seperate items, that means that there could soon be TWO cool new Cooper memorabilia items for sale on Ebay!!

I really hope, for the sake of mystery and intrigue, as well as for Jo, that there is no body found in that burried harness...........

Hobbes: "How come we play 'War' and not 'Peace'?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."

Too bad they cut the lines. If it is indeed Cooper's parachute, there's a rig down in there...and possibly Cooper himself.

So what if the lines were cut? Won't there still be a rig down there if it was Cooper's parachute? I don't unerstand how having the lines cut has any bearing on the analysis of what was found.

Several reasons, two are easily listed here.

1) Intact historical item

2) Ease of finding the rest of the gear

ltdiver

HEY SAFECRACKINGPLF,

does this calculate out as the LZ in your research?

I watched the video, the fabric looked in too good shape if it was in the ground that long. Was there a DZ close to this area that this could have been a cut away in the 70's- 80's? I guess, after seeing the video of the canopy and Carr, I am skeptical, Why would you cut the lines and leave somthing buried if they know to contact the FBI? It was in too good of shape in my opinion to be in the ground as log as it was. On the other side, if it is real we will soon see if there was a body on the other end, or was it buried before sombody walked out. Jo, we will see does it have missing ring you may have. I think it will be an interesting couple of days.

Anyone have anymore info. Too bad some skygods ran Carr off here we may have gotten some more info instead of relying on the media, we all know they can screw up anything.

Yeah, I guess having it intact if it is the real deal would be nice but they can easily put humpty dumpty back together if need be. It seemed pretty clear from the article they knew exactly where to dig. They were on their property....it is not like they were in the middle of nowhere.

I just want to make it clear that the map I posted was a guess as to where the red dot was on the (KOIN?) news video. The center of the map means nothing.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a private dirt strip next to someone's house out there.

Also, I seriously doubt there was ever a DZ in the area. Both Amboy and Ariel are tiny towns, and in the early 70's would have been even smaller.

That whole area is gonna be crawling with very crackpot amateur sleuth and dimestore writer in the country in the next couple days. Anyone have any ideas on how to cash in on it?B|

-NickDG