usedtajump

What is this Plane (Look Closley)

Alright, give Zing a cheroot. Bet that thing sounded awesome with the Allisons and it truly is a beauty. Sadly, this aircraft was destroyed when an inflight engine fire got out of control forcing the test pilot and copilot to bail out. Unfortunately, both experienced parachute malfunctions resulting in the death of one and critical injuries to the other. Nice rigging.:|

The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

It's absolutely beautiful.

You ain't just whistlin' Dixie there. That is one fine looking air machine! Wow...

Hey Jack,

You familiar with the B-17 named "Heavenly Body"? It flew off an aircraft carrier a few years ago commemorating the Doolittle raids. My good friend and hangar neighbor, Steve Crowe, rebuilt and crewed the a/c out of Van Nuys and Burbank for many years until burning out. Great guy. He flew it with another guy who flies Gulfstreams out of Reno named, ???It'll come to me. He was Chief Pilot at Petersen's in VNY for a long time.

jon

Hey Jack,

You familiar with the B-17 named "Heavenly Body"? It flew off an aircraft carrier a few years ago commemorating the Doolittle raids. My good friend and hangar neighbor, Steve Crowe, rebuilt and crewed the a/c out of Van Nuys and Burbank for many years until burning out. Great guy. He flew it with another guy who flies Gulfstreams out of Reno named, ???It'll come to me. He was Chief Pilot at Petersen's in VNY for a long time.

jon

Hi jon,

No I'm not familiar with a B-17 named "Heavenly Body".

Are you sure it flew off an aircraft carrier? I never heard about this with a B-17. For one thing, the Doolittle Raiders used B-25. Do you know what carrier was used for the B-17? Sorry, but I think you might be mixed up about some different stories. Can you dig up a link about this? I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Thanks!

Don't know if it has a military designation or even know if it's the same plane never having seen a picture of it before but P&W modified a B-17 to use as a flying testbed for their T-34 & T-64 turbo prop engines. Heard this while I was working at Dallas Airmotive as a P&W customer service rep. from a guy who had been there since Christ was a Corporal.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Yup, that's the one. It's back up and flying after it got pretty much destroyed in a Tornado in 1979. Now called Liberty Belle. B-17G that never saw combat. I used to know one of the guys that was sent out to Davis Monthan to pick out which B-17 Pratt was gonna buy (in ~1947). The fuselage was cut just aft of the cockpit and rebuilt to be much stronger (and longer of course). Apparently it was quite a sight to see it flying over with all 4 props feathered and one huge prop pulling it along faster than a regular B-17 would go with 4 engines.

Dave

Is that a picture of the actual aircraft or a scale model?
The no smoking line is to scale but the stains on the macadam look a little suspicious.
I know, I know anyone that has been around as long as we have or have seen Mr. Douglas has seen some big ass stains.
Doesn't matter either way to me, she's still a beauty.
None the less I'm still curious.
Time to Google image.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)