davidlayne

Anyone famous sign off a jump?

Have you ever had anyone famous sign off a jump in your log book?

On May 3 1973 ex World Heavy Weight Champion Floyd Patterson visited Germany putting on boxing clinics for the troops. He passed through our unit and I got him to sign my 1000th jump.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Patterson

On May 6 1990 Jeremiah Denton visited the annual fly in at Roy Ray Airport, Irvington Alabama and I was fortunate to get him to sign my 2001st jump.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah_Denton

So do you have anyone famous in your log books?
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

Command Sgt Major Bob McDermott.....one of the first Golden Knights ...and my buddy.
We did TAndem training together and we both signed each others books.
I got signatures from Governors all over the country but I cherish Bobs the most.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Wow David, I see you have jumps out of a Cessna 170B logged around that same time in 1990.

And if I recall, your sister was also married in a Cessna 170B flying along the shore of Dauphin Island.

Your family must really like 170's! B|

BASE359

"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

Wow David, I see you have jumps out of a Cessna 170B logged around that same time in 1990.

And if I recall, your sister was also married in a Cessna 170B flying along the shore of Dauphin Island.

Your family must really like 170's! B|

BASE359

Wow, I wonder who's aircraft that could have been!

Pete Marsden, a well known Brit jumper and boogie organiser, had his logbook signed off by Princess Anne while he was standing in the post-jump line up after he did a demo when he was in the army in the early 80s.

Al ;)

I tried to get her Dad to sign mine when I was doing a demo with the 7th Army Team at Lord Westminster's estate in Cheshire.

The attached picture shows me asking the Duke to sign my logbook. Our teams 1st Sergeant, Harold B. Stanley looks on.

My request was turned down I was told in essence by the Duke's helpers that the Duke does not do autographs.

Do famous skydivers count?

I started jumping to become a camera flyer. When I had 200 jumps I visited Empuria for the first time. Asked one of our dutchies for a signature but he pointed to a guy at the bar "go ask him" eh, okay.

Only read the signature afterwards. Patrick Passe :)
That gave me an idea so when I went to Thailand for World Team '04 to do dubbing and the website and stuff, I saved up some jumps and got the entire camera team to sign :)

I was thinking of letting the tandem pax and students I film sign my jumps, you never know who might get to be a famous skydiver later in life :ph34r:

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Not my log book but this is kinda funny...

In the early 70s I was flying for Mike Schultz at Pelicanland in Maryland. The instructor, Jim MacIntyre, was a good friend of mine. Jim and I sat together at an ICC at which Scott Newman also attended.

Jim told me a story about when Scott was learning to jump his dad, actor Paul Newman visited the DZ one day when Miss America--or some other such starlet who wanted to parachute for publicity--was in the first jump class.

All through the day there were quite a few paparazzi photographers wanting to photograph Paul Newman. This pissed off Miss America because Paul was getting more attention than she was.

After her jump, Jim went to Paul and asked him to sign the woman's first jump certificate which Paul gladly did.

When Jim handed handed the certificate to the woman, she stuck her nose in the air and said, "I don't want HIS autograph on MY certificate."

So...she got a certificate with Jim MacIntyre's name instead of Paul Newman's.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

Got one back in the 80's from Martin Caiden, author of "Six Million Dollar Man" and a bunch of other sci-fi novels. He owned a WWII Junkers Tri-motor that he flew jumpers in occassionally in Florida.

Had A few working airshows a few years back doing the Elvis thing. have to dig up the old logbook to find them
Bob Hoover
Col. Joe Kittinger
Col. Robert Morgan - Memphs Belle
Sean D. Tucker
Patti Wagstaff
Lot of fun meeting those folks
waving off is to tell people to get out of my landing area

James H. (Ginger) Lacey

"One of the Few"

During the summer of 1973 I worked as an instructor at the Sport Parachute Centre at Grindale near Bridlington UK. Ronnie O'Brien (UK D684), famous in his own right later on for saving a tandem pair in free fall and filming the event, was Chief Instructor and my boss.

We were fortunate and honoured in those days to have Jim Lacey as jump pilot and flying instructor. No ordinary pilot, Jim was one of the top scoring RAF fighter aces of WWII, the second highest scoring RAF ace of the Battle of Britain, and one of the very very few aviators active at the beginning and at the end of the conflict. And remember for him the War started in 1939 - not after Pearl Harbor.

Aviation history buffs should try to get their hands on Richard Townshend Bicker's book Ginger Lacey, Fighter Pilot. (Beagle Books, 1970 and 1988), the biography of this great RAF warrior - a stirring stiff upper lip tribute to a courageous man. For those more visually oriented is "Dawn Scramble" by aviation artist Keith Woodcodk. Also check out if you can the Triumph Spitfire ad (You not only get a car and a girl but a piece of history):ph34r: which appeared in Playboy magazine :$ back in the day.

Jim Lacey signed off my 1000th jump - also flew the load.
(28 Oct. 1973 Cessna 206 G-BAMN)

Mike Mangold pre ESPN Air Race Red Bull star days!
Sean Tucker
Nick DG(now THAT"S famous!);)
Mr. D-1 himself
Angie Everhart:)Said Musa, the former Prime Minister of Belize
Roberto Alomar, Sandy Alomar/ Baseball demo
Bill Ottley(most of you have that one)
I almost got Daniel Ortega's signature in September, but he was too busy giving a very long winded speech after we jumped and I figured GWB wouldn't let me back in the US if he signed! B|