ltdiver

Old Photo--Southwest Airlines near miss

Browsing the internet (looking for pictures from a particular cameraflyer) and found this!

http://www.skydiveworld.com/gallery/unknown_may00.jpg

How often do you hear skydivers tell stories of near misses. How often do you get to see the proof!

From this web page: http://www.skydiveworld.com/english/gallery.html

Yeowzer!

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Skydive Dallas used to have near misses since there was a major approach corridor almost directly over the DZ to the Dallas/Ft. Worth airport. I don't remember when, but there was one incident where one skydiver at the DZ was in a sit-fly group and they realized they were coming really close to a jetliner. They scattered and tracked off except one. That one worked for Pratt and Whitney engines or some entity in the aircraft industry, so the next day he showed up at work to file a field report that said engines were working perfectly on that plane! :D:D:D

I may not have all the details correct but it is what I can remember.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

One of the guys in that picture was Randy Livingstone.

So what's the story surrounding this picture?

Demo? Where?

Date?

Other participants?

Wonder if the NTSB has a report of this from the plane captain's point of view...

Browsing the internet (looking for pictures from a particular cameraflyer) and found this!

How often do you hear skydivers tell stories of near misses. How often do you get to see the proof!

Yeowzer!

ltdiver

The shot after in that series is actually better, its so close you cant see the nose or the tail of the jet. Its funny, I just got another copy of the one you linked too just a week ago.
The story I heard was the pilot was fired for leaving too early and the CEO has a blown up version in his office? Not sure how reliable the source is, but what a shot eh?

The participants in the Southwest airlines picture are, clockwise from top, Jim Houston, Calvin Reeves, myself, Tim Patterson and Randy Livingston. The photographer was Bill Parsons. The jump plane was a C-206 from Jerry Rouillard's drop zone at Lavon North outside Dallas. We had paperwork on file and were supposed to have 60 seconds of sterile airspace after the pilot gave jumpers away but as you can see that didn't happen. The Southwest plane had just departed Love Field. Somewhere on DZ.com there a couple more threads about this.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

The participants in the Southwest airlines picture are, clockwise from top, Jim Houston, Calvin Reeves, myself, Tim Patterson and Randy Livingston. The photographer was Bill Parsons. The jump plane was a C-206 from Jerry Rouillard's drop zone at Lavon North outside Dallas. We had paperwork on file and were supposed to have 60 seconds of sterile airspace after the pilot gave jumpers away but as you can see that didn't happen. The Southwest plane had just departed Love Field. Somewhere on DZ.com there a couple more threads about this.

I didnt know that was you!! Damn! I was told you guys never saw it, only the camera man?? Is that true? Jerry Rouillard, where, how, is he still around?

Damn your famous!!

Yeowzer!

ltdiver

last Saturday over Z-Hills Cessna flying directly over the landing area while jumpers are opening. It happens once in a while some locals won't jump during Sun N Fun because of the traffic.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

I remember once riding the jump plane to altitude, at one leg we were flying directly over I-20 going west at about 10K feet, and I noticed a MD88 jet flying at 7K feet going east directly below us on its Birmingham to Atlanta route. That was a nice visual. Glad I wasn't in freefall then! :P

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I was quickly checking my altimeter in the picture and when I looked back up:o:o:o. Don't remember anyone else but Bill mentioning having actually seen the airpalne

IIRC, his brother in law, Brian Stafford, told me a couple of years ago that Rouillard and his wife Karen were giving sailing instructions in South Africa at that time.

Skydive Dallas used to have near misses since there was a major approach corridor almost directly over the DZ to the Dallas/Ft. Worth airport.

Do they not have near misses any more? Please explain.

The approach into DFW from the East was changed a few years ago from Blue Ridge arrival which took inbounds pretty much directly over the DZ at or below jump altitude to the Bonham approach which, I believe, routes the traffic considerablely further north of the DZ. Some of the locals there please correct me if that's not exactly right, would like to know for sure.

One of the inbound approaches to DFW is over the top of Skydive Dallas at about 12,000 feet. When the DZ is in operation they move the approach several miles to the south. It is not uncommon in freefall to look over and see an airliner on level with you. These are not near misses by any means but can seem strange to people that aren’t used to it. The DZ, ATC, etc. are all in constant radio contact. On rare occasion the DZ will have to circle and hold jump run for a few minutes if an airliner is off course, which is exceedingly rare.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Wow! And the Southwest airline pilot got canned? :o

Do you remember what the demo was for? Curious, as it looks like alot of freeways and such under you there....

ltdiver

Naw, the pilot didn't get canned, at least not for that incident that I ever knew of and I jumped with several senior SWA pilots at that time that would know.

Wasn't a demo at all, as I remember, the jump was to be a cover shot for "D" magazine with Reunion Tower centered in the middle of the round but it was "spoiled" by the jet in the background. :ph34r: We landed just to the West across the Trinity river levy in the river bottoms.

I was dating a SWA flight attendant at the time the picture was taken who talked to one of the FAs that was aboard that plane, she said you could hear the crew cursing and yelling through the cockpit door.:)
I worked for a jet charter airline in Dallas at the time and Herb Kelleher, CEO of SWA, was one of our clients. One day before he departed on a flight, along with the usual bottle of Wild Turkey he always requested for all his flights, I handed him a copy of the picture which he flipped over and eventually had made into a mural for his office wall. :)

It happened in the U.K. the jumper ended up inside a Dragon Rapide as I recall. Someone will come up with the details.
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

It happened in the U.K. the jumper ended up inside a Dragon Rapide as I recall. Someone will come up with the details.

This Dragon Rapide? How the heck did someone land inside the plane (without doing an intentional plane-to-plane transfer?

ltdiver

This Dragon Rapide? How the heck did someone land inside the plane (without doing an intentional plane-to-plane transfer?

ltdiver

If I remember correctly it was a formation load and one plane got under the other. The Dragon Rapide had a fabric fusalage and and he went through it.

Ouch!
B|