kallend

The "45 degree rule" for exit separation DOES NOT WORK

i was in that cloud somewhere with an open canopy at 3.5k . .

I know this post is about 9 months old, now, but this thread got resurrected recently and when I read this, something about it just bugged me...

I know I have much less jumps than you, but you deployed your main at 4000' inside a cloud and you're calling into question the safety of the other guy's actions? Exactly how did you clear the air above, below and beside you on deployment? Aside from when you're at the hard-deck, is it not everyone's responsibility to ensure clear air before hitting the anchors and wiping off about 100mph of vertical speed?

In the interests of not dragging this thread too far off-topic, here is a more appropriate thread to further discuss cloud deployment issues.

Goodness…

I sat and read most of the posts in this thread and it is a noodle scratcher, no doubt about that…

I still do not think I could sit down and explain to someone who has been using this “rule” (myth, whatever you wanna call it) why it does not work.

Can anyone dumb it down into simple to understand 6th grade level terms? Without equations or quantum smartness?
Just in plain and simple easy to understand, easy to explain and easy to remember terms?

I’ll admit it, I ain’t too bright, but I suppose ya’ll didn’t need me to tell you that eh?

Post #9 seems to explain what to use right? Do we all agree on that?
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

>Can anyone dumb it down into simple to understand 6th grade level terms?

Simplest explanation - because groups never reach that 45 degree angle, ever. So if you use that method accurately you will never be able to jump.

Slightly simpler explanation - because when you look out the door at a given group falling away from the plane, they always look the same, no matter what the ground winds (or upper winds) are doing. It gives you no information.

What angle the jumpers appear when viewed from the doorway is a function of the jumpers' terminal velocities and the airspeed of the aircraft. The fasster the a/c and slower the jumpers, the higher they'll appear, and vice versa. It obviously has nothing to do with separation. But fallacies have a life of their own. I wonder if these folks think frogs cause warts and Sun revolves around the Earth?

So . . for those of you who go by the 45 degree rule, is higher up safer or down lower safer? In other words, which side of 45 degrees are we looking for?:P

If you check out the skydive radio interview with Billvon, it may help clear things up. Hearing someone tell it is much better than reading it, i find.

http://www.skydiveradio.com/shows.htm

Download Show # 46.

If you havent listened to SDR yet, i think you'll like it.
-Rainier

Sparks Brother #1 // "I vaguely heard someone yell "wait!" but by that point i was out the door." Quote from dz.com somewhere

>Can anyone dumb it down into simple to understand 6th grade level terms?

Simplest explanation - because groups never reach that 45 degree angle, ever. So if you use that method accurately you will never be able to jump.

Slightly simpler explanation - because when you look out the door at a given group falling away from the plane, they always look the same, no matter what the ground winds (or upper winds) are doing. It gives you no information.

True. Buying time between groups, especially solos: Solo newbies scare me the most. I tend to observe who's going out after me and assess their skill and attitude for exit. A solo jumper does not have to have set up time in the door like say a team or school or bigway. In SD I tried a different approach instead of 'telling' the newbie solo to use '45d' or count fleas on kallends dog or 10seconds please, I just simply 'ask' them if they were going to scare the shit out of me when we open our parachutes.they replied with confidence a simple no. They seemed to understand my point and had proper separation. As silly and improper as a training method as it was, it worked. I'm just attempting to 'buy time' so homie does'nt kill me or my teamate without hosing the jumprun.

There was an explanation early that made it pretty clear. You can only get 45 degrees if the sideways speed is just equal to the downward speed (think about it, and that makes sense). That only happens immediately after exit (which we all agree is unrealistic) and after opening (which is also unrealistic). Any other time, it just isn't happening.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

But IMO, anyone trusting a visual rule of any kind, could also consider leaving the altimeter at home. After all you already have your internal clock and your ability to stare at the ground:S

That is not to say that I dont believe skills such as visual recognition are not valuable and good back ups.

Interesting, I consider my eyes my primary altimeter and the mechanical devices the backups... So far my eyes have never failed me while the mechanical devices have failed a couple of times...

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

A guy at the DZ today told me that he's heard the S&TA at another (turbine) DZ telling beginners to use this "rule" just last week!

At least they have something to do. So what?
Some schools dont teach their students about the RSL, some teach the PCIT as a partial malfunction - there is a lot of misinformation out there.

Really, it's ok...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Like Dracula, it never seems to die.

A guy at the DZ today told me that he's heard the S&TA at another (turbine) DZ telling beginners to use this "rule" just last week!

Last March during safety day our S&TA explained in detail the 45 degree rule and how it works! When questioned about it he said "it just works, it always has before so why not now. Plus, any other way is too hard to figure out." I also hear very "high jump" skydivers instructing less experienced jumpers to use the 45 degree rule on a regular basis. How does a guy like me (low jump numbers) tell these people they don't have a clue?

"You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him drink"

You have several choices from my point of view.
I was recently at a DZ where they preached the 45 rule and as I was doing recurrancy training I just did as I was told however......When it was suggested that the peeps b4 were at 45 I continued my counting in my head so as to make sure the space between us was safer for me. Since I was the one initiating the climbout and count I had control over when I jumped. :) I gave a FF trio about 18 seconds from the time they left to the time I started my arch:)
They can scream at ya, but they cant make ya do what they want unless you allow it. If they are giving you grief about it then you always have the option to find a new place to jump. you may have to drive farther but hey atleast you will feel safer and more comfortable. However I would try and explain to the DZ why it is you are leaving. not in a Fuck you tone but in a clear even manner. maybe if they hear the same type of feedback from jumpers who are leaving they will think maybe they have a point...Maybe they will still not like it but change.. Maybe they will tell you Fuck Off. But atleast you tried to make things better.
Do what you have to do and when faced with the stone wall mentality of the 45 rule sometimes it is just best to move on to safer, more comfortable pastures.

"A Good leader knows how and when to lead but also knows how and when to follow"

I gave a FF trio about 18 seconds from the time they left to the time I started my arch

After reading about your recurrencey jump, I am not certain when you decided to begin to arch :P

Okay, so how much time elapsed from the time their feet left the airplane and your feet left the airplane?
Mykel AFF-I10

When it was suggested that the peeps b4 were at 45 I continued my counting in my head so as to make sure the space between us was safer for me.

Just to be clear: are you saying the previous group was at 45, but it wasn't enough? Or that other folks on the airplane thought the group was at 45 but you were using a different method to estimate how long to wait?

Mark

Im saying that when I as told that I should wait for a 45 from the group ahead of me, knowing that they will never get to a 45 I continued my count as normal even when it was pointed out that they had reached a 45 in thier eyes,(the JM). I was not comfortable with the seperation we would have had or the lack there of.

yes I had been out of the sport for a long time but my eyes and my brian still work just fine:) If I am not comfortable then I am not jumping. Been there done that against my gut and better judgement and am lucky to be alive. (Refering to not following my gut and better judgement) If it was brought up to me why I took so long to get out and jump then I would have explained to the best of my abilty why I made the decisions I made. If it was then problem with the DZ or JM then I simply would move on to safer more comfortable pastures. :)

Perhaps 18 seconds was a bit of a long time to wait.

It is a good idea to follow along with the guidelines set forth at the DZ you are jumping at. Ok, you learned online that 45degrees does not work, but you also must have learned what does and 18 seconds is a bit outside that envelope no?

Were you the last jumpers to leave the plane? If there were others hollering at you sounds like there were others waiting to exit behind you, what does over extending your time in the door do their spot?

OTOH you are responsible for your safety first right?

So, where do we balance the equation?
Mykel AFF-I10

actually I don’t believe 18 seconds was too long of a wait since that the proven physics says that FF's going out first followed by RW's causes dangerous close opening windows due to RW drift vs FF drift. If the time I extended to allow a safer separation caused the jumpers behind me to be a bit long on the spot then there should be a go around. no?

Were you the last jumpers to leave the plane?

Nope we were second out and jump run that entire day was ify. In fact 2 passes became the norm that day.

I have an issue with this statement on a personal level.
I believe its difficult to maintains others safety if your safety is compromised in doing so. However...In my life I have often been in situations where I have abandoned My safety to ensure others Safety. From doing Executive Protection, to Army service. to being in situations in real life b4 I was even trained to be a bullet Catcher where there has been gun fire and I without worrying about me have made sure that others were safe b4 taking action to secure my own safety.

now the dilemma arises of do as I say not as I do.... LOL I have instructed others under my command that they should do the exact opposite of what it is I do, Have done , or will do in those types of situations. I accept the risks involved in those situations and if my life is the cost of others saving their lives then I'm comfortable with that.

As far as finding Balance I do not have the answer to that but will always work towards learning and finding that balance.

As far as the bit about

It is a good idea to follow along with the guidelines set forth at the DZ you are jumping at.

If those guidelines are not sound and safe in my eyes then I guess it would be time for me to move on don’t you think?

*Edited for Spelling and content*:)

actually I don’t believe 18 seconds was too long of a wait since that the proven physics says that FF's going out first followed by RW's causes dangerous close opening windows due to RW drift vs FF drift. If the time I extended to allow a safer separation caused the jumpers behind me to be a bit long on the spot then there should be a go around. no?

Were you the last jumpers to leave the plane?

Nope we were second out and jump run that entire day was ify. In fact 2 passes became the norm that day.

I have an issue with this statement on a personal level.
I believe its difficult to maintains others safety if your safety is compromised in doing so. However...In my life I have often been in situations where I have abandoned My safety to ensure others Safety. From doing Executive Protection, to Army service. to being in situations in real life b4 I was even trained to be a bullet Catcher where there has been gun fire and I without worrying about me have made sure that others were safe b4 taking action to secure my own safety.

now the dilemma arises of do as I say not as I do.... LOL I have instructed others under my command that they should do the exact opposite of what it is I do, Have done , or will do in those types of situations. I accept the risks involved in those situations and if my life is the cost of others saving their lives then I'm comfortable with that.

As far as finding Balance I do not have the answer to that but will always work towards learning and finding that balance.

As far as the bit about

It is a good idea to follow along with the guidelines set forth at the DZ you are jumping at.

If those guidelines are not sound and safe in my eyes then I guess it would be time for me to move on don’t you think?

*Edited for Spelling and content*:)

Was the jumprun into the wind or with the wind? What did ground speed look like while you were looking out the door for the 18 seconds? Were you creeping along or really moving?

Like Dracula, it never seems to die.

Last March during safety day our S&TA explained in detail the 45 degree rule and how it works! When questioned about it he said "it just works, it always has before so why not now. Plus, any other way is too hard to figure out." I also hear very "high jump" skydivers instructing less experienced jumpers to use the 45 degree rule on a regular basis. How does a guy like me (low jump numbers) tell these people they don't have a clue?

How do you tell a jumper how to give you seperation on exit in terms that they will actually understand and do as you intend for them to do? Not saying the 45 degree 'rule' is right. How do you do it Maestro?

How do you tell a jumper how to give you seperation on exit in terms that they will actually understand and do as you intend for them to do? Not saying the 45 degree 'rule' is right. How do you do it Maestro?

So giving the 45 degree thing to a jumper who doesn’t quite get separation yet makes sense?
Why not tell them to count, and train them to do that while on student status?

Or count fleas on the cat – whatever creates separation eh?

How many incidents have occurred over the years that were directly attributable to exit separation?
Perhaps this may be a key inquiry to this whole debate.
How many deaths has it caused?
I don't know...
Mykel AFF-I10

So giving the 45 degree thing to a jumper who doesn’t quite get separation yet makes sense?
Why not tell them to count, and train them to do that while on student status?

Or count fleas on the cat – whatever creates separation eh?

How many incidents have occurred over the years that were directly attributable to exit separation?
Perhaps this may be a key inquiry to this whole debate.
How many deaths has it caused?
I don't know...

Answer my questions. Hurry I gotta go. How do you achieve separation with a jumper on the A/C. Better yet , what do you tell the jumpers exiting behind you? anything? Verbatum please, as if I was newbie jumping out after you.