LloydDobbler

California City Stories

I would, but I'm afraid the constant whining about the anemic climb rate of the old 0-300 would about drive me insane. Lots of jumps from a 172 really make you appreciate the power and space in 182...

I hear that there's some guy in the midwest trying to put a PT-6 in a C206!!?!

Would make a great jump plane for ya!

;)

There *was* a rumor floating around about that, wasn't there? ;)
Signatures are the new black.

I missed it, but I heard told around the water cooler at work today that after 25 years (or so), Mark & Brian have decided to "hang it up". Tomorrow will be their last radio show, reportedly?

During today's show, so I was told, Brian was talking again about Cal City Skydive and the Flying Peckerheads.

Maybe in retirement Brian will get the itch to jump again and re-open Cal City? ;)

You know what they say about making a small fortune at a Drop Zone! :P

I'm hearing that rumor out of control is Crouch and Jay are trying to organize a Cal City Skydive Reunion at Taft, maybe on 27 Oct and maybe if they can get an aircraft bigger than a Cessna 182 / 206.

... this Nov will be the 5th year since California City Skydive closed down. :(

Anyway, any info on the possible reunion at Taft?

Maybe Junior will have his PT-6 C206 done in time to bring it out for the reunion (if it happens) and fly a few loads!!??! ;)

Well, Cal City Skydive may be long gone, but some of still get together and go shooting out in the desert, just like we used to after jumping back in the good ol' days.

This past Friday a few of us met for lunch at the airport terminal (Foxy's... aka Jamie's) and then went shooting out at Far Point.

While taking a walk, enjoying a fresh beverage and picking up unbroken clays to sling and shoot at again, I found this old beer can (see the photo labled "found in desert").

While rusted and very badly faded, it's amazing that its still in one piece, un-crushed and not perferated with bullet holes after being out in the desert at a spot where drunk skydivers have been shooting for several (skydiver) generations.

A quick Google without even having to leave Far Point (smart phones ROCK!) found that this can once held "Brew 102" made by the former L.A. Brewery.

It must have been some "good stuff" to go for 99 cents a 6-pack!

Anyway, the other photo attached (NewBrew) showes what the can we found probably looked like before being discarded and left to rust in the desert for 40ish years!

Was a time about 1980m that if the first load left the ground before 8:00 it was half price.

And we jumped from "Bricks Beech" or "Our Douglas" Trips to Castarison sky ranch and water jumps in Isabella.

I jumped there from 1980 until about 1988.

Was a good fun bunch.

Why is it closing the doors?
Is it now the only DZ in Cal city?

Bob
Working to be the last flyer on a birdman suit. ;-)
Who also flies a tony suit.