LloydDobbler

California City Stories

Yeah, well, I chose my "stupid" moments differently. :P /JOKING!

Anyway, I don't think that was Misty. Could have been, but I think that was a different gal.

Anyway... Misty... BSBD RIP, you did everything right, sorry you got screwed. I tiped a glass for you the day you left us and I hope to do so again with you some day, but not for some time, hold a slot for me though. Skies.

sorry you got screwed

Boy that is an understatement. No one even got an Article 15 out of the deal.

Sparky

Just read the link.

On her 75th jump Misty experienced an equipment failure during a routine jump.

Bull Shit.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

sorry you got screwed

Boy that is an understatement. No one even got an Article 15 out of the deal.

Sparky

Yeah, well, that's a conversation for a different time and place, but its one of the reasons I got my rigger's ticket. I figured if it was going to go to shit, I might as well do it to myself, or not.... so far... so good... 3 saves, and 2 of them are the most important person in the world... ME! :P

Jim,

88 at Cal City was about 5 years before my time jumping there, but I'll take a stab at a few folks in that photo (besides Celaya) that I meet after I happend that way in 93... how about...

Dave Deis
Jay Schumacher (sp?)... flipin' the downward bird
Gary Koleghey (I'm sure that's spelled way wrong)
Carol Bell
Lida Weisenhunt (again... sure I messed up the spelling)

... did I guess any correct?

I'm surprised Philly isn't in that photo. No beers... he must have been off raidin' the fridge while it was unguarded during the photo op.

Not bad! I just saw Dave Deis a couple of months ago at Perris and that is Linda Wisenhunt. I haven't heard about her in a long time. Of the other 3 none are in the photo although Jay was jumping at Cal City around this time. The guy flippin the bird is Dennis Huff and the other female is named Julie although I can't remember her last name. Mike Mangold would know and he is standing next to her on her left. My logbook notes say that this was Dave Harder's 200th jump and Dave LeClerq's 500th and they are both in the photo. I don't have a name for the pilot though! If anybody knows let me know. This picture would have been taken just after moving to the big hanger. You can just see the old office and packing building behind the Otter that we shared with a carpet making company before Van built the hanger that everybody remembers.

That's the guy! But, I would have to say that Van Sr. had pretty good reason to dislike him!! Also, I may have been incorrect in stating the new hanger was up. When we moved out of the carpet factory we actually spent some time in the small hanger in front of the big hanger while the big hanger was being constructed. Since I went to Japan for 2 years after the photo was taken, and I left before it's completion, I'm pretty sure it wasn't in use yet. After moving into the big hanger the small hanger was used a gear store for a while.

Anyone...

The rumor-mill has it that "Jump Operations Commencing in 2 Min over California City Airport" and "Jumpers Away Over California City Airport" calls have been heard recently over Joshua?!!?

Think this is for real or just some old trons still floating around the verse getting bounced back via sun-spots or something?

Air Force test jumpers using the ol' landing area?

It was Danny Benge (RIP) and I remember asking Dano wouldn't he wake up. Dano said "nope" and dropped a large trashcan right by his head and Danny did not wake up! So they put him on the stretcher we had, loaded him onto the DZ truck and put him on the numbers. Danny was not naked, but was sleeping in his tighty whities, and his sleeping bag had been sewn shut. He woke up on the numbers, had to hoof it nearly naked across the entire dropzone to the club. Lol, I asked him how he got back, "walked!"
D-11672

I actually have a picture of the two cars after the fire was out. Hahaha! And sadly, Danny Benge was killed on his motorcycle in LA years ago. RIP Danny Lee! The reason there are so many Danny Lee stories is that he would always get drunk and pass out in public so early. Remember when we drew a mustache with a sharpie on his face! I remember the scream when he saw himself in the mirror! Or when he passed out on the packing table and we tied his shoelaces together? I remember the distinct THUMP in the middle of the night. And there are so many more, lol!

There's alot of Danny Binge stories out there, all are true. Don't know if you know it Jim, but Danny was killed in a car wreak a few years ago.
Remember the time Billy Reed and Dennis Huff both burned up there cars at the same time on the airport ? Billy was useing his to push an old sofa over to the trash dumpster. got the front of the car stuck on the sofa and buryed the rear wheels in the sand. Asked Dennis to use his car to push it back off the sofa, He too got it stuck and buryed the rear wheels. Then the exhaust pipe caught the sofa on fire. We saw the glow from over the loft and went over to see what was burning. We got there about the same time the Fire Dept. got there and both cars and the sofa were fully engulfed, Just another weekend at Skydive Cal-City.

D-11672

Fnd this while looking for another picture. Recognize anybody? Photo was taken by Leigh Webb Oct. 88.

Wow, thanks! In the front I see Dennis Huff (RIP), Mark Hewitt, Linda Whisenhunt, and Graham. Rear I see Dave Deis, Dano?, Joe Crotwell?, Dave Harder, Jim Phillips?, Dave LeClerq?, Danny Schell, Bob Celaya, and not sure of the others. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong! I am just wondering where I was that day?
D-11672

I would, but I'm afraid the constant whining about the anemic climb rate of the old 0-300 would about drive me insane. Lots of jumps from a 172 really make you appreciate the power and space in 182...

I hear that there's some guy in the midwest trying to put a PT-6 in a C206!!?!

Would make a great jump plane for ya!

;)