LloydDobbler

California City Stories

Here's a photo taken at Skydive Taft on Saturday, 19 Sept 2009, of some of the last of the Cal City grey haired bunch that still get in the air once in awhile... more Rogaine, less beer and more time on the tread mill for these guys... :S

Goodamn , i'm glad i'm not as old as that bunch of old farts. ;)

:D

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Found this photo on the web. I'm guessing it is from the early / mid-90s since the taxiway extension isn't there yet.

I can't remember exactly when the airport did that, but I think it was around that time.

Notice too how many cars were in the parking lot and across the way too. Too bad the place didn't stay that busy. :(

On my way out to near-point to go shooting with Bob, YoBo & Yong today, I stopped by the ol' Hangar at Cal City... the place still sits empty... :(

Although, that really is Jerry's truck in the parking lot in the 1st photo. Guess he was waiting for early-bird!??! :D Just kidding. He was in the area too riding dirt bikes with his son and friends and happened by the same time we did.

Baltic divers find what they claim is world's oldest champagne in wreck near Aland islands

Published July 17, 2010

STOCKHOLM (AP) — Divers have discovered what is thought to be the world's oldest drinkable champagne, fishing a bottle of the centuries-old bubbly from a shipwreck in the Baltic Sea.

Dive instructor Christian Ekstrom says the champagne, believed to be from the 1780's, "tasted fantastic." Ekstrom said Saturday he's "98 percent sure" of the champagne's age, having conferred with experts.

About 30 bottles are believed to remain in the wreckage. Swedish wine expert Carl-Jan Granqvist says each bottle could bring as much as euro50,000 if the corks are intact and the age and authenticity can be proven. Samples have been sent to champagne laboratories in France for testing.

The bottles were discovered Tuesday near the Aland islands, in the Baltic Sea between Finland and Sweden.

--------------------------------------------------

This reminds me of the time Robert was cleaning out under the stage at Cal City and found an old case of Budweiser... steel cans... pull tabs... many with surface rust... :D:D:D

Well, the airport is a Municipal Airport.

As far as I know, the city still owns the 4 hangars at the west end of the airport and the acerage to the southwest of the airport that used to make up Cal City Skydive. I don't know if anyone is renting or has purchased the hangar or land. The hangars were still sitting empty the last time I went by there a few months ago and, althougth I haven't looked in awhile, I can find no commercial listing for the property being for sale.

Sure wish someone would re-open a dropzone there. Even if it was a Cessna operation and build it back from there.

Anybody know what happened to one of Bob Celayas nephews, a kid by the name of Rudy? When I was working at Camp Mendenhall (a probation youth camp) I ran into this kid. I asked him what his name was and he says "Rudy Celaya" I asked him if he knew of any skydivers in his family (just a shot in the dark) He tells me "Yeah , my uncle Bob and aunt Judy" He was a pretty good kid, just had a rough family situation..