Guru312

Am I still a skydiver?

I just took a look at the last few pages of the "Most Famous Skydiver" thread and the comments about what makes a person a skydiver and it got me to thinking...

Although I haven't jumped in a bit over 20 years, I had a J/M and I rating since 1971. I was a DZO for five years. Am I a skydiver?

I note that many of the olde farts here in the "SH&T" forum have in excess of 35+ "In sport" years. My guess is that many are like me who found other things to occupy their lives...and weekends...but still consider themselves as skydivers.

It almost makes me cry with nostalgia to drive by Cross Keys and see the canopies. Or even to hear the whine of a Cessna 182 simply flying overhead on a nice jump day. It amazes me what memories rush forward simply hearing a Beech or a DC-3. [I don't hear enough of them!]

My younger daughter is 14 and can't wait to jump. Cross Keys said she has to wait until she's 18. I know I'll be jumping with her then...

But I am still a skydiver?

PS: Nothing you can write will convince me I'm not a skydiver but I'm curious about your opinions.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

It almost makes me cry with nostalgia to drive by Cross Keys and see the canopies. Or even to hear the whine of a Cessna 182 simply flying overhead on a nice jump day. It amazes me what memories rush forward simply hearing a Beech or a DC-3.

Never mind ratings or how many years since you jumped or anything else - the above quote tells me you're still a skydiver :)
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Took a 9 year layoff in the 90's. I know how you feel...felt the same thing. Never ever stopped learning and listening about the sport we love. That is what makes you a skydiver.

You should go and hang out at the DZ one day.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

My Daughter is 14 also and has that familiar "look" in her eye when she sees an airplane. I have not jumped in over twenty years but I think of my skydiving experiences almost every day. I just turned 56 and know that I have not yet made my last jump. I will be a skydiver for as long as I live.

My Daughter is 14 also and has that familiar "look" in her eye when she sees an airplane. I have not jumped in over twenty years but I think of my skydiving experiences almost every day. I just turned 56 and know that I have not yet made my last jump. I will be a skydiver for as long as I live.

My oldest daughter made a tandem on her 18th birthday. She loved it! That was the same year I started back jumping again, so we were able to go up on the same plane load.

The younger daughter isn't that hepped up to make a jump. I figure when she wants to make one, she'll ask. I don't want to force jumping onto her....

I can tell you that the day you go to the DZ with your daughter to make a jump, your status as a skydiver will be reinforced then. In fact, if you went to any DZ today and told them a little about yourself and would it be alright to just hang out for awhile (not here to make a jump, just thought I'd drop by), my guess is you'd be treated like a embassorial dignitary. I know our DZ would welcome you with open arms... hell some of them old fuckers might even remember you and tell you stories about yourself (prolly shouldn't have the daughter along for that one). ;)

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I vote yes also. You paid your dues and stuck with it through the usual barriers (made another after 1, made more than 10, made more than 100, etc...).

I did have just the active number of years in my profile for a while, but it caused more confusion than it was worth. I got questions like "how can you have such low SCR and SCS number if you've only been in the sport since 1999?"

So, I figure I will always be a skydiver and should report the years in sport from my first jump. I will jump again pretty soon...

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

The fact that you ask the question in itself proves you are.
Who else but a skydiver would be concerned?
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

The fact that you ask the question in itself proves you are.
Who else but a skydiver would be concerned?

This pretty much sums it up. WTF would I care...if I didn't believe that I was?

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I never expected so many.

The older I get the more I miss the jumper's free spirit and their acceptance of others that seems to go with skydiving.

No one really gives a shit who you are or how much money you make when on the DZ...it's all about who you are in the air.

DZ.com is my life-line to the Insanity of Freedom that jumping has always meant for me.

Thanks...!!
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper