howardwhite

What is this plane? #13

I was thinkimg more like the Heron because of the dihedral of the tailplane, but the plane Howard posted doesn't appear to be big enough in comparison.
Also, look at the left wing ... isn't that an engine nacelle sticking off the front? And it looks to me to be a tail-dragger design, too, which neither the Dove or the Heron was.
Still, it has very DeHavilland features, but I'm wondering if it isn't a knock-off copy DeHavilland features with that engine on the nose added.
It almost looks like a DHC Mosquito with a third engine added and smaller engines on the wing.
Two airplanes I've lusted to fly are the Mosquito and the P-38 Lightning. I got a ride in a P-38 once, but no stick time ... yet.
Zing Lurks

Not a Mossie. Picture of one attached.

I don't think it is a Dehavilland - at least I can't find a photos on a DH aircraft resembling this one. Not a Heron, Dove, Dubb etc.

Anyone recognize the aircraft registration number - what country?
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

Anyone recognize the aircraft registration number - what country?

Well, since I guess the rest of the reg number was on the door, I'll give you the full number. (Of course this will give the whole thing away, even though it's no longer registered in that country --it's NZ-DDD.)

HW

I figured a Kiwi would chime in soon on this one. The picture came from the May/June 1979 issue of Free Fall Kiwi.
It was owned by a club, made up mostly of jumpers, and was used at Whenuapai AFB near Auckland.
Some stats:
-3 Lycoming O-360 engines (180 hp);
-Empty weight, 4,100 pounds; max T/O weight 6,600 pounds
-Cruising speed, 103 knots
It was one of about 20 built by DeHavilland Australia; Drovers were best known as flying ambulances. It was deregistered in NZ in 1988 and is now in a museum in Australia. (pic attached).

HW

cool pictures...

tri engine....PISTONS?????

thanx for all these great pictures Howard..
it's always fun to see the next 'what is it'... be it a plane or a canopy or other gear..
You're a great archivist.. i'm sure that Many here, appreciate you sharing all this history.

keep 'em coming...;)

jimmy

It was a jump ship in the late 70's at Whenuapai. I started jumping in 77-78. I'm not sure who actually owned it but it was used by Auckland Skydivers and the Aviation sports club (military). It very likley was used at Ardmore airport prior to that (that was before my time) and operated by the Auckland Parachute Club (predessor to Auckland Skydivers). I cant remember when it left Whenuapai ( I move to the states in 1979)
...Paul