BillyVance

Where's the Southern Cross DC-3 now?

Hey Jack,

You think maybe it was a C-53 Skytrooper?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jspitfire/2039012631/

This one is based out of Riverside, CA and come with it's own demo team.

Sparky

Could be Sparky, but I really can't remember now. I confused myself. :S

I do know it had a different type name from the standard C-47.

Hopefully one of you guys down there in Texas can take a look and tell us what it really is. Pretty please? B|

Hey Jack,

You think maybe it was a C-53 Skytrooper?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jspitfire/2039012631/

This one is based out of Riverside, CA and come with it's own demo team.

Sparky

Could be Sparky, but I really can't remember now. I confused myself. :S

I do know it had a different type name from the standard C-47.

Hopefully one of you guys down there in Texas can take a look and tell us what it really is. Pretty please? B|

Here is the official web site for the current owners of the Southern Cross http://www.douglasc47.org/History.html. And a little bit more info http://radiopatriot.wordpress.com/2010/06/18/meet-ww-ii-navy-pilot-bob-fults-and-the-southern-cross/ Oh and she is a beauty! Was a great jump, and only $40.:)
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Was a great jump, and only $40.:)

Yeah!!! C-49J!!! I remembered correctly!

I better remember. I have well over 1000 jumps from that airplane. We did some incredible skydives out of her. I have a 29 second 40 Way logged out of Southern Cross during the annual Z-hills Easter competition. We also did the first Night 40 Way out of her.

And I was on her once when we lost an engine on take-off at 400 ft. We had 40 jumpers onboard and the pilots were able to climb to about 800 ft, slowly turn around and land safely. When the engine crapped out on take-off the sound of all those assholes slamming shut at once was deafening!

Very pleased she is flying jumpers again. Had some great times jumping that fast climber at Rantoul in (2005?). Interesting that it's a C 49 rather than a C 47 or DC 3. I think it was owned by two brothers when it came to WFFC. Finding active DC 3 jumpships is getting harder and harder. I hope they don't become extinct. The Basler Turbo Threes should be around for a while longer than the Wright and Pratt radial powered Threes.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

OK, does this go in the logbook as a DC-3 or a C49J? If the latter, where can I make an actual DC-3 jump?

FYI, SDDallas is talking about bringing it back at a latter date.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Was that at the Lost Prairie Boogie? I talked to Bob about that particular flight. That was a very dangerous situation, due to the hills that surrounded the dz. People were telling Bob they had always wondered how a pilot would get out of such a delimma if this were to occurr. If you were not referring to the Lost Prairie Boogie, where did this engine out occurr?

Pete

Was that at the Lost Prairie Boogie? I talked to Bob about that particular flight. That was a very dangerous situation, due to the hills that surrounded the dz. People were telling Bob they had always wondered how a pilot would get out of such a delimma if this were to occurr. If you were not referring to the Lost Prairie Boogie, where did this engine out occurr?

Pete

It happened at Z-hills in the mid 1980's.

Warms my heart to know that in 2011 a 1940s propliner is still hauling jumpers. What a truly fine airplane.

I'd love to jump her again. What a spectacular climber.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.