BillyVance

Where's the Southern Cross DC-3 now?

Of all the Gooney birds I have flown none could compare with the Southern Cross in power and climb. It was the only light skinned 3 that was approved for 1820-76D's equipped with 2- speed super chargers for a combined 2,900 horse power. In high blower it could effortlessly climb to 27,200 feet. My logbook shows 262 loads at 100% reliability. I operated the airplane very conservatively, flying the engines at 55 to 65% for a 1,000 foot per minute climb. At a 17,000 foot exit, the power reductions started at about 14,000 slowing the rate of climb to about 600 fpm and 85 knots. The cut airspeed was about 70 knots and a bunch of left rudder. There is quite a bit of finesse to really get a 3 to perform and remain reliable, you fly the engines. The airframe is just along for the ride. I wish the latest owner good luck with her. Bob Metz

Did you ever fly the Deland "Mr. Douglas" DC-3? It also had 2 stage super chargers. Not sure what engines though. It was the fastest climbing DC-3 I jumped from. If you have indeed flown both, which is faster and by how much?

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

I jumped 'em both. Southern Cross was much faster. To be fair, I may not have see Mr. Douglas in its best days. I loved both of them. Southern Cross was the fastest and loudest DC-3 I ever flew in. Also the only one I can recall with Wright Cyclones. Pretty sure Mr. D. had Pratt and Whitney engines. I remember Southern Cross racing turbines to altitude at Freak Brothers.

Of all the Gooney birds I have flown none could compare with the Southern Cross in power and climb. It was the only light skinned 3 that was approved for 1820-76D's equipped with 2- speed super chargers for a combined 2,900 horse power. In high blower it could effortlessly climb to 27,200 feet. My logbook shows 262 loads at 100% reliability. I operated the airplane very conservatively, flying the engines at 55 to 65% for a 1,000 foot per minute climb. At a 17,000 foot exit, the power reductions started at about 14,000 slowing the rate of climb to about 600 fpm and 85 knots. The cut airspeed was about 70 knots and a bunch of left rudder. There is quite a bit of finesse to really get a 3 to perform and remain reliable, you fly the engines. The airframe is just along for the ride. I wish the latest owner good luck with her. Bob Metz

Agreed! Jumped her a bunch of times at WFFC in Rantoul (2005?). TRULY AMAZING climb rate for DC 3. I read that the FAA made them patch some missing skin rivet holes... as if that really matters in a non pressurized acft.

Man I miss jumping the big props. WFFC was heaven for me. C 54, DC 3, B 17, B 24, ATL 98 Carvair etc. I never did get to jump a Connie.

Want to see an amazing DC 7B restoration story? Check this wesbite:

http://www.conniesurvivors.com/1-n836d_jul10_article.htm

Maybe someday we can jump a Big Doug Seven.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Mr. D was considerably slower, but it had a nice sound system in it, for the ride up. And seems like Marshall Tucker was always being played. Yes it had two stage superchargers, but as I recall it was only 600shp per side.

Burke
Irony: "the History and Trivia section hijacked by the D.B. Cooper thread"

Early on, say the mid-seventies, Mr Douglas was owned by Bob Favreau and Gary Dupuis. They kept the two stage blowers in working condition and one could tell when they were making the transition. Power was reeduced at around 5000' then when brought back up it was obviously more throaty and pulled harder. I don't remember Mark Berghorst ever operating the two stage blowers. Douglas always had a nicer interior. Mark added a more powerful sound system and for years there was dancing in the aisle. It was a treat to travel distances in Douglas. I have a little time in the left seat with Jack or Mark in the right.

Southern Cross was a beast. The Wright engines are monsters. You could tell that they were different. The particular engines installed had a larger main bearing set-up so could take more time at full power. Certainly a no-frills interior. Can't remember the particulars of horsepower or displacement on either aircraft but I do remember a LOT of good times in both.

Yes, I also remember SC as being faster than Mr.D.
Mr. Douglas was a fine plane though. Last I heard it was flying jumpers in Tennessee. That was a while back though.

It was, til an engine blew out at Tullahoma. Been sitting on the tarmac ever since. Look it up on google earth. You can see it. [:/]

Some of my most interesting jumps were out of Mr. D. I remember there was a loose window pane behind where I was sitting and I would annoy the other jumpers by playing with it. It had a loud rattle. :ph34r:

When it was at Skydive Chicago in '97 for the 4th of July, I was front float on Mr D for the 70 ways. Damned hardest slot I've ever had, just holding on. I don't know how I didn't get any oil on me! :o:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

That's a name I hadn't heard in a while. But the weirdest exit I saw was Slot's doing their 10 way speed exit. Everyone sitting with their legs wrapped around the jumper in front of them. Jaybo, in the back would pick up the last jumper and the whole group would lift off the floor. Then he'd shove everyone out. I don't think they used it in comp. I just think they were trying different things. Also, remember seeing some real cool two way kiss passes in the middle of the fuselage when Bob would do zero g's. and for quite the extended time, I might add.

Burke
Irony: "the History and Trivia section hijacked by the D.B. Cooper thread"

Mr. D was considerably slower, but it had a nice sound system in it, for the ride up. And seems like Marshall Tucker was always being played. Yes it had two stage superchargers, but as I recall it was only 600shp per side.

Burke

Yeah, Mr. D had an 8 track, 8 speaker system. I preferred Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon myself for the run to altitude.

I too remember the transition around 5k on the blowers...

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Front/front float on a Tarantula was the hardest slot going. Martha Scott had it nailed but she's super-human.

jon

One of the best I have ever seen was Kent Lane with Visions/Coors. It was like he had suction cups on his fingers.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The mural was still there when we had the airplane in Utah for a couple of seasons. I think this was probably in the 2000-2002 time frame.

I have heard it is no longer there.

last i saw of the plane it was not. had been striped off for structural repair. this was 2004.

BEST TIMES EVER, GOT THE 40 WAY TEAM LINED UP,, HERMAN FLYIN THE PATTERN,, COUPLE OF MUFF MUFF MUFFS ,, CALL FOR THE CUT,, SHE SMOOTHES OUT STOPS VIBRATING SOO MUCH,, STARTS TO GLIDE ,, FLOATERS OUT,, TAKE UR SPOT IN LINE AND OUT WE GO!!

PAVE PARADISE PUT UP A PARKING LOT,,,, of locals

PLL & MUFF MUFF MUFF 4 EVER MISS YOU JOHNNY
PEACE

Did I miss it , where is the SOUTHERN CROSS?
WAKE UP TANDEMGUY !THERES A DUI CHECKPOINT UP AHEAD

Burke

I think Mr. D had Pratt & Whitney 1830-94's which are 1350 HP each.

Some of the murals from the plane are in Marks's shed in Florida. but there are some more that have to come out of the plane yet.

Does anyone know about the DC-3 that crashed in Z-Hills in 1993? I saw its remains the other day but any name that would have been on it are long gone.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Southern Cross was flying jumpers today at Skydive Dallas. It is owned by a museum here in Fort Worth along with a B25 It has been restored with the old army paint job and is no longer red and white.

Here's an interesting little tidbit about Southern Cross. If you look just behind the co-pilots seat you should find the metal Manufacturers Data Plate.

It should say that the type of aircraft is a C-49, NOT a C-47 as everybody thinks. In fact I think it might say C-49J. It has to do with some differences between its production run and other standard C-47's. The obvious difference is the Wright engines.

Edited to add- After posting this I'm starting to think that the type number is something other than C-49. I might have it right, but maybe not. However Southern Cross does have a different type number than C-47, which is the standard Army Air Corp designation for the civillian DC-3.