howardwhite

Belly Reserve Deployment

I am SO glad I never had to do what is in that photo! The sight of that undiapered round just about to get to line stretch is pretty scary!

(27 belly wart jumps and 0 malfunctions)
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I have a rig with chest three ring harness rings. We would deploy the chest mount on three ring risers for the intentional cutaway. We'd exit facing the tail of the 182 and throw out the PC. It was fun watching the canopy open in front of you. Of course not at terminal.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I had 3 belly wart reserve round rides 2 were under streamers on my Papillion...plus you have to wrap your arms thru the lines to make sure you were at least in a vertical PLF postion.. good thing I was young and in very good shape ... theopenings were a tad brisk. My other two round reserve rides were from my Green Star TrackII..... those were not bad at all.. in comparison..

The next frame in that sequence would show his heels hitting the back of his helmet.

When they moved the chest rings up higher to prevent that then we got fat lips when the main opened.

This is a classic case of when the "good ole days" weren't really . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

I don't know anything about when, where or who but it sure looks like a no-pilot chute deployment.

It is clearly time to begin issuing dropzone.com OFRs (Old Fart Ratings).
For the purpose of this exercise, after viewing the attached, you get:
-One rating point if you recognize/have seen it on a reserve;
-Two if you have jumped a reserve so labeled;
-Five if you have trained/put out students with such reserves, or packed them.
(Points are not cumulative; if you're eligible for 5, it's assumed you have the skills associated with the 1 and 2-point levels.)
I am now at OFR point level 5.:S

HW

Howzabout if I was cruel enough to have packed such for students? :)

I was trained on cutaways. I moved to Mass (where unpilot-chuted reserves were the norm) after a few years. As a staff member, one of the rather dubious "perks" was the opportunity to use student freefall gear if I wasn't packed :D. So there I am on the way to altitude, and one of the guys in the plane with me asks -- "So, Wendy -- ever jumped a throwout reserve before?"

Oops. But I'd witnessed enough classes to remember the drill. But I sure was glad he mentioned it.

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Wendy had a much better arch than that S/L student!
I've taught many a student the hand deploy reserve method that I learned from Dave Eisnor (D-355) in 1968 at Taunton, Mass. My two chest reserve rides were with 26' Navy conicals with ma-1 pilot chutes. Subterminal openings after cut-a-ways. Soft and easy opening shocks. I glad that I never had the chance to expierence a terminal chest reserve opening!

Howard,
The guy in your first picture had picture perfect form (except for maybe not covering his capewells). But then again, noone I knew in the early 70's was trained to do that.

I went over on my side, after cutting away two different mallies, with my shot and a halfs. And no, I didn't cover the capewells either time. My 24 ft. belly reserve openned fine.

Being young and dumb, and really tough was a prerequisite for skydiving back in the day.

I don't know anything about when, where or who but it sure looks like a no-pilot chute deployment.

It is clearly time to begin issuing dropzone.com OFRs (Old Fart Ratings).
For the purpose of this exercise, after viewing the attached, you get:
-One rating point if you recognize/have seen it on a reserve;
-Two if you have jumped a reserve so labeled;
-Five if you have trained/put out students with such reserves, or packed them.
(Points are not cumulative; if you're eligible for 5, it's assumed you have the skills associated with the 1 and 2-point levels.)
I am now at OFR point level 5.:S

HW

I am level 5 as well. We used the T-10 system at Z-Hills with no pilot chute reserves. Probably a good thing since most of the static line rigs there had 2 shot capewells.

I packed them as well...

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

I made my first free fall in 1956 with a 24'twill chest with a ma-1 pilot chute.I have had 66 reserve rides,36 cutaways and 30 hand deployed all with pilot chutes.I would never jump any parachute without a pilot chute.
I was almost kicked out of PCA in 1959 because I was using cutaways instead of hand deploy methods but they needed the dues from our 30 member club more!
How things have changed........Pop

Being young and dumb, and really tough was a prerequisite for skydiving back in the day.

24 flat at terminal here...after a bent top pin on exit. :o

MA-1 on it, though I was trained both ways since the 'club' gear carried the placard.

I swear my heels hit the back of my Bell helmet...OUCHIE! :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi phil,

The photo is not the one of Ken Rounds over Lancaster, which BTW was taken by Ralph White.

In the photo of Ken (posted some time ago by MjoSparky) he is laying very flat & stable when he flushes everything.

The photo that Sparky posted was actually one of a sequence of three; the first being Ken flat & stable and reaching for the reserve ripcord, the second being the mess coming out, and the third shows him with a grimace on his face just as he begins to experience opening shock.

The three photos appeared in SKYDIVER magazine sometime in the summer of '64.

JerryBaumchen
OFR #2

Darn. I only get one point.

200 belly wart jumps, one cutaway but it had a pilot chute. 24' with 4 line release.

But I did see such a reserve once (under the rigging table, no pilot chute). There's my one point.

So did I still get my number?

[:/]

Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

24 flat at terminal here...after a bent top pin on exit. :o

MA-1 on it, though I was trained both ways since the 'club' gear carried the placard.

I swear my heels hit the back of my Bell helmet...OUCHIE! :S

I always wondered what a terminal opening on a belly reserve would be like? Openning a low mounted reserve would have been particularly brutal. I'm glad I never experienced that. My back is already pretty crooked!

Bending a stiffener or top pin was easy to do when exiting a little doored beech....

:S Oh, that picture just looks like its about to hurt! I'm glad those days were "before my time" and I've only had the pleasure of listening to the stories of jumping stuff like that from a bunch of ol' grey hairs around here...

To steal a phrase, seems like after an opening like that you'd have to check to see if you were safely under your reserve or if you had just hit the ground... probably would feel about the same... :P

Anyway... I wonder if they got that picture on the first take? Can you imagine the camera man trying to get that jumper to go do it again after finding out the first try didn't come out? :S:D