howardwhite

Herd Boogie

I second the "good dredge"! I never saw that before. Funny.

Dave DeWolf's laugh and his machine-gun staccato style of speaking was always a thrill to decipher when he told jokes or stories. I was on 10 second delays at the same time as Dave. He's since passed me in numbers--by about 10,000 jumps.

A Herd Boogie was something to behold. I attended for years. To me, it exemplified all the great things about jumping: fun people, crazy people, wonderful people and nusto night-time craziness. [Thanks Soss! RIP]

I don't know where you find some of the stuff you post, Howard, but Thanks!

Do you have any of a Herd wet T-shirt contest?
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

I think it was Janet Lundquist who had a hand in producing that advert. The Herd always did PR well.

Speaking of posers. ;) Seeing Guy Manos reminds me of the time an overly-impressionable jumper, along with his wife, saw Guy heading into the showers at some earlier Boogie. The jumper says, "Wow, look honey, there goes Guy Manos! When he comes out go over and ask him to come over and have a beer with us." So she does and Guy Manos says, "No, sorry, but have you got any hair conditioner?"

In the same vein another time I was at Skydive Monterey Bay and Roger Nelson was there. And it just so happened there was a particularly hot blonde in the first jump course. It was then I found Roger ripping through a large box of old PARACHUTIST magazines and when I asked what he was looking for he said, "I'm looking for a picture of myself so that chick knows I'm somebody."

NickD :)BASE 194

The Herd's arrival twice a year in Z'hills was initially cause for concern, then the greatest anticipation. I can think of no group of skydivers who enjoyed themselves - or were enjoyed by others - as much as those guys. Does anyone have a photo from the '73 Nationals of the Whale stretched belly-down on a polar bear skin rug, stark naked save for a frilly bonnet and a baby bottle?
Hoop

The Herd's arrival twice a year in Z'hills was initially cause for concern, then the greatest anticipation. I can think of no group of skydivers who enjoyed themselves - or were enjoyed by others - as much as those guys. Does anyone have a photo from the '73 Nationals of the Whale stretched belly-down on a polar bear skin rug, stark naked save for a frilly bonnet and a baby bottle?
Hoop

My first encounter with The Herd was at the 1977 Z-Hills Easter Boogie. I remember them offering free T-shirts to any lady who would trade on the spot. Then one night, as we were lighting some fireworks, a bunch of them wandered through our campsight. An especially big guy took a lit firecracker out of my hand and attempted to smoke it. When it went off, he looked me in the eye and said, "Good shit, man !", and stumbled on his way. Also heard they got kicked out of a downtown bar, something about a tequila, salt & lime ritual with a topless woman. They retaliated by cutting the power main to the establishment. They were simply an inspiration.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I would have to loof back and find the year, but I feel sure that this was in 1990, however, at the Herd Boogie, supported by Caribou (3 0r 4 I think) they had the tiki bar right down the road and had a volkswagen that they had taken a cutting torch and turned into a convertible. Once the sofa was attached to the back, it made for a classy ride back and forth to the bar. It was Saturday night (ok, sometime Sunday morning:$), after the wet t-shirt contest and the bonfire was going good. I don't remember the driver, just that he drove the car into the fire, got out and walked off...

It was the first weekend off for me and my new girlfriend:o, she married me a few years later;)

priceless...:o:D:D:S:S:D:D

trying to explain the herd boogie to a modern yuppie jumper is like trying to explain BASE to an insurance lawyer.

Wonderful! That's priceless.

Thanks for the laugh.

THAT'S TRUE!

Member of the "Lakewood Ghetto"
We tried...:S

BTW, Howard, thanx for the laugh. Haven't laughed at DeWolf in a long time! One of these days I've got to get a pic of one of the DD pieces of Herd Boogie memorabilia from the later 80's... the prophylactic. :D
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

I remember the '84 boogie pretty well. I arrived on Thurs and on Friday morning as I walked to breakfast there was a gentlemen lying passed out in the middle of the road to the camping area. Cars were driving around him honking but he was out. I thought it was a good sign of things to come. I also remember Dan Doyle grasbbing the landing gear of a twin otter and being dragged back to loading area while naked. They had 2 Arava's that year plus 2 Otters and the DC-3 "The Bird Machine". I was lucky enough to win a prize in the raffle too! A new Mirage h/c. Bright Orange, I sold it to pay for the container I already had on order. Nice car burning and general evening mayhem. I had a hell of good time!!

I went through the student program at UPC in 1993 and continued skydiving between there an x-keys until they closed. Some of my fondest memories were from UPC and The HERD. I wrote this in a post a while back. The person that I was referring to in the post is Soss:

"I was a plane Loader / Bus Loader at the 1993 Herd Boogie. The old DC-3 was at the boogie and was taking off out of a local asphalt runway airport. So, a shuttle bus was needed to get to the airport.

I was still a student at the time but helping as a loader. As I was loading the bus, some of the long time Herd memebers, wanted to board the bus for the jump with pitchers, mugs, cans, and bottles of booze.

I thought I'd be the authority and tell them that they couldn't board the bus or drink while skydiving. The laughed at me and called me some names that I'd never heard of. I yelled to the UPC president for some help and he told me to let them do whatever they wanted. They kept laughing as the boarded and didn't hesitate to tell me that they were stopping a "Our Place" (a local bar) for another shot and a beer.

About an hour later, the DC-3 let out its group. One of the guys landed directly on the grass runway with an Otter coming in to land. As I was yelling at him to get off the runway, he was pulling a beer out of his jumpsuit. He turned around, saw the Otter, and ran as fast as he could to get off the runway. He thanked me and got on the next load.

Danny Doyle.... That's one of the names I've been racking my brain over trying to remember. I heard Danny would jump into the Herd boogie nude every year. One year, probably 85, a few guy were waiting for him... One guy ran by Danny just after he landed & grabbed his cut-away handle. The second guy, hot on the first's heels, grabbed his main. Paul Bick was one of them.

Unfortunately (or fortunately if you think about it) I didn't get off student status until after the Herd boogie in 84.

Then there was Mitch Littlefield's geodesic dome... party central after the wet t-shirt contest.

Sucked when the township wouldn't let them torch a car any more. I think the last one was burned in 85, maybe 86.

And here I thought a lot of beer was consumed at the DeLand Easter boogie! :S

Imagine my shock when I decided to make a surprise Saturday appearance in '01 with my newly completed 68 Dart (attached below) & found the field deserted. [:/] On the way home, ran into a kid with skydiving stickers on his car. I got him to stop & we talked for a few minutes. He'd never heard of the Herd Boogie :o & had no idea where the club went. A quick on-line search showed they'd move north.

Of course, more "Where are they now?"

PS. I also won something at one Herd Boogie; a log book container/cover. :P

edited to add attachment (DUH!)

Sometime after 1993, I remember when the UPC Club members bought Pete (the old Static Line Jumpmaster that taught the first jump course) a new/used car because his car was getting old. Before they told him that they had bought him a new car, they burned his car (I think it was at the HERD Boogie). For some reason, I missed the incident but I recall a story indicating that he walked up to the fire excited to see what was burning and there was his car. He almost had a heart attack until they showed him the new/used car that they had bought for him. He was never happy with that car they'd bought him.

Thank you for sharing that article. Excellent.

I didn't know Harvey well but was around him several times at UPC and X-Keys and he was a lot of fun

Another great guy (and friend of Harvey) from the HERD and x-keys was "Fang". I believe he started skydiving at Ripcords. I had the privilege of skydiving and hanging around with him a on many occasions. Ripcords produced many skydivers that moved on to UPC and x-keys. Joe "Pete" Warner, Claude Bennett, Janet Kelley (now Lunquist) and others.

Again, thank you for the article.

Regards,

Soss was an unforgetable character for sure! He ran the what tee shirt contest and raffle like nobody else could. Who else could wear a perfect gotee like that and paint his nails black and be perfectly serious? That man had Style with a capitol S.

Was at a business meeting when Harvey burst into the room screaming in his raspy smokers voice... "Where's my money! I want the fucking money! I want a big fucking bag of money right fucking now!" We all turned back to the table. He sat down. Had to be there...

jon

I have an 8x10 of me on the step over Lakewood courtsey of Paul Bick. He had the photo concession then. I stopped by the airport about 10 years ago and the rigging loft and office were still intact. There was even a Lakewood bumper sticker on the trash can at the entrance. The dropzone was usually empty the weekend of the Herd Boogie.

I would have to loof back and find the year, but I feel sure that this was in 1990, however, at the Herd Boogie, supported by Caribou (3 0r 4 I think)

It was 1990! The Boogie that year was the first jump I'd made since the previous fall due to a work injury (smashed a finger pretty badly). There were 4 'Bou's there. I organized a 12-way tube & when it blow up, the gorilla on my right hand (the one I smashed) flung me aroundjust a bit! It was about 5 years before my shoulder was 100% again. [:/]

Those Caribous were a blast! A bit on the noisy side, but fun! The only plane I jumped that was more fun was the C-130 in Quincey.

We had a blast that year. The very first jump we made when we got there, we landed like 4 miles from the airport. I mean I don't think I ever even saw the airport. Me and a couple of the guys landed in a yard that had a swimming pool and people in it. I was thinking hot chicks, but it was a bunch of kids. We all we on the ground and the kids were looking at us and I said. "Is your Mommy home?" Everybody busted out laughing...

We were all packed before someone even picked us up...:D

Seems like I remember McGowan having a total or a pilot chute in tow and riding his reserve that day...