debonair

Name the Designer

Hi Mark,

Nope, it was not Dan.

He was blond dude that moved from Sheridan up to Issaquah, but I do not remember his name. His wife ran a sandwich thingy at Issaquah. He had a lot of ideas but most were rather nutty. I remember Jim Lowe telling me about flying one of his crazy ideas up for a test drop and damn near crashing the airplane in the process.

Ah, the good old days. :S

You did get the name of the device right.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Arvel,

Security used the system designed by Jerry Myers, as shown on your rig in the photo. It was the Y.E.S. system turned upside-down. The neat thing about it was that most everything went away with the risers when you cutaway, leaving very little to snag/grab.

I do not remember what Myers called.

JerryBaumchen

PS) Anyone remember what the Y.E.S. stood for?

Hi Jim,

Close but no cigar.

It was originally the Yanta Ejection System. I met Steve Yanta about the time he was trying to license this system. But he had recently been fired from Guardian Parachute ( a subsiduary of FXC Corp ) and since he had a 'no compete' agreement upon his employment with Guardian, he could not do anything in the parachute business for three years.

This prevented him from licensing/or selling the rights/design/etc. When Guardian found out he was trying to market his design, their legal dep't. sent him one of those NastyGrams to cease & desist.

He then put me onto Chuck Embury who was marketing as the Your Escape System.

And so the story goes . . . . . . [:/]

JerryBaumchen

Dan's a friend of mine but I actually never asked him about this.

What I was told third or fourth hand is that it was adapted from a tow/barge release system, that the design was licensed from the original owner, and when they found out it was being used in skydiving they withdrew permission.

We had a bunch of Northern Lites around here with this release because Dan was from around here. I'd like to find one to grap just for grins but I haven't been able to. There in somebodies garage.

The only problem with the system was that it didn't have the electrical fitting on the end of the housings. So they weren't captured. By pulling a housing you could cut that side away. I never heard of it happening in the air but it did happen on the gound. I assume there was a patent/license issue with using the fitting. What I liked about it was that nothing went through anything besides the loop.

Is that drawing from a patent? If so can you supply the number?
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hi Terry,

I remember studying this device back then; and spending a lot of time talking to Tom Classen about it. Tom said that the tolerances were very tight and really not possible for a stitched device unless you were really good at holding those tolerances. Most production stitchers just cannot do it.

JerryBaumchen

PS) Yup, Bill Jeswine; thanks Deb.

Thanks Howard,

edit.... NEVER MIND I see that there are multiple versions in the patent now. I haven't been able to open it very well so I only see a little at a time.:$:)

The device as marketed differed somewhat from the patent drawing. It didn't have part 150 in the illustration. The webbing from the harness "disappered" into the triangular female harness hardware. It wasn't looped around part 150 of the illustration. But look at the 1984 citation. I wonder if this was the barge connector. It's a somewhat more complex version but looks easier to build.

edit, I just noticed that the this patent, the one for the chrysalis, included a tow strap application.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE