aj4218

Name the designer

Is it a Jalbert Square Mulitcell ?

No. In fact it was an experimental design by a Brit called Dick Gays in 1980. He was trying to see if a 'slotted' round could get similar forward speed to a square. Needless to say, it didn't work :S

Al

Is it a Jalbert Square Mulitcell ?

No. In fact it was an experimental design by a Brit called Dick Gays in 1980. He was trying to see if a 'slotted' round could get similar forward speed to a square. Needless to say, it didn't work :S

Al

I had the pleasure of meeting Dick Gays a couple of years ago and he gave me a little brochure he produced on all of his weird and wonderful parachutes he designed. I shall have to dig it out, scan it and upload it. I can't remember the name of the parachute of the top of my head, but I believe it's the same one that Rick Boardman had a mal on in Hong Kong that resulted in a broken back? I seem to remember Dick telling me, or rather him relating that another parachute designer said, it was actually quite a good design but it was just a couple of years late as squares had already begun to dominate.

Edit: Dick called it the Slots canopy and it looks like it got up to its third iteration.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live