JumpUpMyAss

Old Drop Zones

Mansfield about 1979 or 1980.
When I think of DZ's this is how I picture them: trailer, trash, beer, 182 door, etc.
Check the the names on the Manifest board.
L-R. Paul Wangler, Anita Wangler, Kyle, Me.
Webb, you were the only guy i remember taking pictures back then - thanks(??)
Fuller

Heres another one Webb took of Mansfield in 1977.
The fence was electric so Don Stephens and I persuaded Ron Nichol's little son to piss on it. It shocked his little pecker. He screamed so load the jumpers heard it on jump run.
I talked to Ron several years ago in Gainesville and he said his son is 6'5" /240 and on a mission to find us.
Seems he can't get an erection unless lightning strikes.
Hey kid...... is it too late to say 'we're sorry'?

Man o man...that last pic brought back some memories of the old North Las Vegas drop zone.
Packing on the grass under the trees....blankets laid out with the wives/girlfriends and kids.
No bullshit, very few rules. What a grand time it was.
I miss it.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Heres another one Webb took of Mansfield in 1977.
The fence was electric so Don Stephens and I persuaded Ron Nichol's little son to piss on it. It shocked his little pecker. He screamed so load the jumpers heard it on jump run.
I talked to Ron several years ago in Gainesville and he said his son is 6'5" /240 and on a mission to find us.
Seems he can't get an erection unless lightning strikes.
Hey kid...... is it too late to say 'we're sorry'?

I can't take credit for that one Kim. I did take the B&W, however. I have volumes of B&W photos that I took back in the day: mostly of folks on the ground. It's interesting to see the "kids" today who are pushing 40!

Any survivors of this bunch? Bob Swainson, a Brit, was the DZO. I hear he's still in the business in OK somewhere.

His reserves didn't have pilot chutes on them. Students were taught to hand deploy the reserve in the event of a function. [:/]
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

Hi jump,

Ironically, just yesterday I happened to be driving by the now-defunct airport where I made my first jump in early '64.

The 'loft' was just an old lean-to with a dirt floor, some very poorly built packing tables, that was nailed to another building.

We jumped about nine miles away, into whatever field someone would let us land in. There was no such thing as a 'manifest,' you just started talking and a 3-4-5 of us would load into the V-77 and head for altitude.

Most of the day was spent driving out to the 'dz' to pickup people who had jumped. [:/]

JerryBaumchen

>>His reserves didn't have pilot chutes on them
I made two jumps (ninth & tenth S/L jump) at the "Limey's" place in Mansfield. Having been trained elsewhere on a spring loaded pilot chute reserve system I wasn't even aware that there was any other type. Wasn't until after I got down from the second jump that he asked me if I'd ever been trained on a shake and bake reserve system.:o:o:S

Wow!!! Paul, Anita, Kyle and you. Good times.

The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

The three static line students don't look too enthusiatic do they?
Stevens Cutaway System - guaranteed to slap the side of your face or knock out a tooth if you cut away!
Yep, I learned on the old military method of hand deploy too. Makes sense on a slow speed malfunction like a line over or Mae West. I wonder what it was like on a tumbling, terminal pull?
Can you say 'accidential opening'?

The three static line students don't look too enthusiatic do they?
Stevens Cutaway System - guaranteed to slap the side of your face or knock out a tooth if you cut away!
Yep, I learned on the old military method of hand deploy too. Makes sense on a slow speed malfunction like a line over or Mae West. I wonder what it was like on a tumbling, terminal pull?
Can you say 'accidential opening'?

That's the static line over the shoulder. No Stevens b/c of NO CUTAWAY training.
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676

Well, in the first picture, leaning against Al Gencarelle, that's :$ me.
I don't remember the dates of the Mansfield, MA, DZ for sure, but it was also open much earlier (late '50s and early '60s) as the home of the Cambridge Parachute Club. Lots of the early mostly non-PI jumpers hung out there. Ted Strong would know about those days.
The rest of the folks are basically locals from the Boston South Shore area; I don't think any of them still jump.

HW

When I saw the thread about the Mansfield DZ, I thought, "Hey, I have pictures from there!"

The Mansfield, MA DZ was open in (help me Howard) the late 60s - early 70s, and then again in 77-79.

Here are some pics from the later DZ - unless I can't figure this stuff out!

Uh, TEXAS!!!!!
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676

Russ,
This is what I was thinking of. When Jack Shelley and McBride ran it in 1977, before Bob was there. If you pulled low he made you do a static-line line jump on a T-10 with all the trimmings.
Ingo Patella and Me.

Great! Plane is "Death Express" the one I made my first FF from with Forest McBride telling me that he smelled BONE MARROW.
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676