howardwhite

Where & When? #2

Hi howard,

I think Zing has it correct.

Looks like the reserve was in a gut-pack; and check the line twists. [:/]

JerryBaumchen

I was guessing lots of line twists on the reserve too, but was wondering... did they do a single riser or two riser set-up on belly reserves ever? ... I thought I heard of such things and was thinking maybe that's what it was in the orig pic, but then thought lots of twists more likely what it is.

Yeah, looks like Bobby Frierson and myself on our first Delta11 jump. His opened but mine didn't. Had to cut away but nobody was there to take our pic..

THAT boy had some stories didn't he!? I could stay up all night long listening to him at Freefall Farms. I figured he had to have been born jumping to get all that done by the time I met him in the 70s.

Miss him...

jon

Hi zig,

Early gut-pack risers (ala military) had two links on each side, four connector links in total. Then sometime in the '70's or so, Security put their 26 ft LoPo onto a single link on each side. Previously it had been with two links on each side (gut-pack or piggyback) with a clove hitch. When they went to the single link on each side they merely went around the link then put a half-hitch into the lines. This gave them the room for all of the lines (1/2 of the canopy lines) onto a single link. I hope that you can understand this; I don't even think I am explaining it very well :S.

About that same time some folks were untwisting the lines on the canopies with the clove hitch to fit onto the single-link risers; it looked kind of goofy but the lines would fit onto the links. Check Poynter's original Parachute Manual, you will find the results of some testing that I did with lines that were built with clove hitch and then untwisted (I'm too lazy to go look it up; and it's me :().

When Strong built his StyleMaster in the late '60's he used a single leg riser (one each side) for the gutpack reserve but he made the loop at the top of the riser large enough so you could put one link or two links in each end. Kinda strange but it worked.

JerryBaumchen