howardwhite

What is this plane? #2

Hi howard,

Musta been about late '70's by the rigs.

A wonderhog in the door; another one on the top of the stairs; the next guy down has a rig that I cannot determine, possibly Strong with how the main container is built; then a 'Jerry Bird' Velcro-rig for the lowest guy on the stairs; and then the guy on far left with a Security System.

That's all I recognize; anyone else?

Jerry

Man, does that photo bring back some memories. That'd be me with the green Wonderhoh at the top of the stairs, making sure the 125 people on the load had tickets.
There were always a dozen or more who tried, and often succeeded, in sneaking onto the big plane loads.
According to the pilot/owner of the DC-4/C-54, we ran out of room for jumpers in the main cabin long before we got anywhere near the gross take-off weight of the airplane.
For the history buffs, that airplane's military career included a couple years service after WWII as Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower's personal transport.
Sadly, the airplane's final appearance as a jump ship ended its availability as a jump plane. Jim Blumenthal told me that on one of the loads he flew at the WFFC, a video guy took of his seat belt during the taxi to the runway and walked around shooting video of the takeoff.
About a month after the convention ended, Blumenthal got a call from his insurance underwriter telling him that his coverage on the airplane was canceled and they would no longer insure him. When he asked why he was being canceled, the insurance company said they had a copy of the video that showed people moving around the cabin during takeoff, which violated the terms of the insurance when hauling jumpers.
He was unable to obtain insurance on the C-54 antwhere else, and was forced to sell the airplane.
He still has his C-123, but he swears no sport jumpers will ever get on one of his airplanes ever again.
Zing Lurks

He still has his C-123, but he swears no sport jumpers will ever get on one of his airplanes ever again.

Ah, thanks for this. I was in The Pub last night chatting with Pixie about Skydive Arizona's fleet. I wondered whatever happened to that C-123... Now I know.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

That's Bobby Venezuela in the baggy blue suit with dark blue stripes. Haven't heard anything about Bobby V for years.

I made many jumps from that plane. Connie Tiblts was the co pilot.
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.