Zing

Inventor of the modern parachute

I found this on one of the news wires during my morning perusal of the news from around the world.
I don't think I'd ever heard, or read, of this fellow, but apparently he does/did hold a patent in Britain and Canada for some type of aerial device ... I just couldn't find what the actual patent was for. Nonetheless, its an interesting story from an historical perspective. Anybody else know anything about this man?

Town to honour parachute inventor
By Edmund Tobin
THE former home of the inventor of the modern parachute is to receive a heritage plaque from Loughton Town Council.
Everard Richard Calthrop used to live at Goldings House, in Clay's Lane, Loughton.
The house is currently up for sale with the town council keen to approach the future owner for permission to erect the award.
Environment and heritage committee chairman Chris Pond said: "He did a lot of things. He was an engineer who built light railways in India but he's most remembered for inventing the parachute. He saved many lives and is a very worthy person for this plaque."
11:01am Tuesday 10th July 2007

I found this listed under stories from a newspaper listed as "your Local Guardian."
Zing Lurks
  • Like 1

Calthrop designed the 'Guardian Angel' system in response to the deaths the RAF was suffering in plane crashes in the First World War. He offered it to the British Gov't but they were skeptical of the practicality of giving parachutes to pilots.

In 1917 Major Orde-Lees demonstrated the Guardian Angel by leaping from Tower Bridge into the Thames to demonstrate both the low-opening characteristics, and the successful one-shot release system on the harness for getting out of the equipment when you landed in the drink...

Bill Newell used the Guardian Angel to make the first parachute descent from an airplane in flight in the UK in 1914.

The Guardian Angel was one of the systems tested before Irving won the contract to supply the US military with parachutes, but lost out because it was a static-line system rather than a freefall system. On one of the test/demo jumps made in the US of the system, the jumper had the parachute foul on the landing gear of the plane, and it malled, causing his death. This did not go over well.

There used to be a short clip of one of Major Orde-Lees demos near the Statue of Liberty on skydivingmovies.com -- one of the old British Pathe news clips./

More info can be found in British books such as John Lucas' the Silken Canopy or Peter Hearns Skyhigh Irvin
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Thanks for the additional history. I hadn't really found much detail,even after reading through the pages of patents Peter posted.
Calthrop appears to have had a wide range of interests that he dabbled in.
Interesting stuff from the days of yesteryear.
Zing Lurks
  • Like 1

Bill Newell used the Guardian Angel to make the first parachute descent from an airplane in flight in the UK in 1914.

Geeesh Bill doesnt look a day over 75!
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

Geeesh Bill doesnt look a day over 75!

Different Newell. William Newell was British balloonist/parachutist. He drowned in the ocean after packing his parachute so that it remained in the container after he left the plane (essentially he was towed behind the plane). The pilot brought the plane in low over water and Newell was able to separate and land in it swimming, but drowned after suffering hypothermia. About 1922.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

My grandmother, Nellie Gibson, was the first British woman to parachute from a plane in the U.K. She used to work for Everard Richard Calthrop and was friends with Professor William Newell. They jumped at air shows together. One of the Guardian Angel patents shows my grandmother with parachute. She was lucky to survive one jump when the chute snagged on the plane and tore. She landed in the middle of a football match. I have the newspaper cutting describing the incident and loads of photos. The historical record needs updating to include her among first achievers.

Hah!
Hah!
That depends upon whether you are quoting from the British history of parachuting or the American history of parachuting.

The British version re-assures gentle readers that England led all aspects of the industrial revolution and modern warfare - including inventing the parachute - were perfected in England, then sold to the colonies. But only sold as fast as the "darkies" ... er ... colonists could learn how to use them.

OTOH, the American history teaches readers that no significant parachutes were invented before 1919, then the Army Air Corps collected samples from around the world, combined the best features and incorporated them into the FIRST successful parachute. Then American industrialists (Irvin, Smith, etc.) spread the gospel of proper parachuting around the world.

French authors are surprisingly quiet about all the parachute equipment and techniques invented in France during the 1930s and 1940s. The only French book I have read on the subject was written by (about) Leo Valentine "The Birdman."

Most German books do not mention significant German inventions until the 1930s, then the Nazis mostly copied Italian ideas. It seems that Hitler wanted to grow up to be as powerful as Mussillini.
Hah!
Hah!

I have seen Russian history books that tell a radically different chronology ... but I was too lazy to learn a new alphabet.
Hah!
Hah!

no significant parachutes were invented before 1919,

Whoa there!!!.

Pre WW1 people were jumping and surviving. Mostly static line operated, but I'm sure they thought their parachures were very significant.

The German Luftwaffe in WW1 equipped their balloonists and pilots with parachutes because they recognised the value of saving experienced pilots, rather than losing their personnel in battle.

The British did not do so because they had the idea that carrying a parachute would give a pilot a way to avoid battle by baling out before combat, "cowardice in the face of the enemy".

A lot of pilots went down in flames because of this stupidity.

Quite a lot went on before 1919.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

"The German Flieger Korps in WW1 equipped their balloonists ... with parachutes ...

The British did not do so because they had the idea that carrying a parachute would give a pilot a way to avoid battle by baling out before combat, "cowardice in the face of the enemy". "

................................................................................

From the early days of - the First World War (British) Royal Flying Corps balloonists wore parachutes. But their usage is poorly documented. When you consider the hundreds of thousands of foot soldiers who died some days, casualties among balloonists paled in comparison.

You are correct in stating that British airplane pilots were not issued with parachutes, but that was mainly because reliable bail-out parachutes were not available until a few years after WW1.

Yes, a few German pilots (e.g. Herman Goering) did wear "H" parachutes during the last year of the war, but they were only marginally more reliable than British parachutes.

otoolec

My grandmother, Nellie Gibson, was the first British woman to parachute from a plane in the U.K. She used to work for Everard Richard Calthrop and was friends with Professor William Newell. They jumped at air shows together. One of the Guardian Angel patents shows my grandmother with parachute. She was lucky to survive one jump when the chute snagged on the plane and tore. She landed in the middle of a football match. I have the newspaper cutting describing the incident and loads of photos. The historical record needs updating to include her among first achievers.

It would be great if you could post some of the pictures somewhere, and maybe scan or copy the article and post it here or somewhere else, and give us a link. It is important to get these things on the record before they are forgotten...

riggerrob

The only French book I have read on the subject was written by (about) Leo Valentine "The Birdman."

I once found and photocopied a book called "Le Parachute", by Borge and Viasnoff, 1977 (in the Canada Institute for Scientific and Technical Information library in Ottawa!). I'm not sure what it said about early French freefall techniques, but it was amazingly broad in its general coverage of parachuting in the early days, with plenty of photos I've never seen elsewhere. While it covered parachuting internationally, the coverage of France was especially interesting. Photos of Reichelt in his 'suit', various airplane jumps in '14 (non-freefall), a French BASE jump in '24 off a bridge, a tandem under a round in '38, details of Rod Pack's chuteless jump, and much more.

Books in language other than the one we are now using certainly are relatively little known.

Calthrop's fine parachute was NOT the first parachute. Calthrop banked 100 + years of previous parachute designs into this "Gauardian" contender.
Brit. Clathrop's "Gaudarian" S/L parachute was one of the best low-speed rigs. Worked well. Enjoyed much Press and PR. Well favored by British Military, Decrepit horse Calvary sleepy sloth inerita was Supplanted by the high speed USA Type 'A' freefall rig.
Leo Valentin's book "BIRDMAN" is available in English. 5-Stars. M. Valentin methods for freefall were adopted as the Training Syllabus / manual by France for Govt. Parachuting Schools in 1947.... That is the class J, Istel and R. Young carried back to the USA; we teach much of it yet today... Sorta (No PLFs, more-better info.... Basic ARCH-LOOK-PULL-Thousand...Yadda.).

Book, en Francais: Borge & Viasonoff gifted me "Le Parachute" in '97. Excellent photos. Sparse words. Mystery: who is Pere Robert? : Not frères Robert! -Je demande, qui est-il ? Où est-ce qu'il a fait sauter ? Décrire ce qu'il a sauté ? (Translation: WTF??) Jumped spring-sprung canopy, tractor Tire Huge fugger
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,
  • Like 1

Hey ..

William Newell was my grandfather.

His medals etc. are in Hendon Air Museum ... and "somewhere" I too have a magazine article and newspaper cuttings of his exploits and that of my grandmother who used to leap from balloons.
  • Like 1

Book, en Francais: Borge & Viasonoff gifted me "Le Parachute" in '97. Excellent photos. Sparse words. Mystery: who is Pere Robert?.............................................

"Pere Robert" translates exactly as "Father Robert", IOW an ordained catholic priest.
Similarly, "Frere Robert" translates as "Brother Robert"... as in a monk.

This segways to a recent article (Canadian Aviation Historical Journal 2016) about (parachute patent-holder) Domina Jalbert who was born in Quebec, but raised in New England. An interesting point is that young Domina was educated by Catholic monks who served the large numbers of French-Canadians who migrated to New England mill towns.

This article contradicts the historical tradition that says that the Quebec Gov't and Catholic Church officially discouraged French-Canadians from migrating to the USA.

Domina Jalbert is credited with inventing the concept of ram-air (wing/shaped) parachutes, though another dozen patents were issued to people (Nocolades, Snyder, Yarbanet, Gargano, etc.) who refined Jalbert's basic ram-air concept

highspeeddirt

as i understand it,Jalbert conceived the Ram air as a kite, not a parachute. just sayin.....

Yes, Domina Jalbert started building kites as a boy.
During World War 2, he worked in the balloon industry. His barrage balloons always "kited" at a positive angle of attack (nose up) to improve lift and stability. Many things he learned (e.g. internal bracing) in the balloon business were later applied to ram-air kites. Jalbert's first few ram-air prototypes were all kites.

It was only late in his career that Jalbert partnered with Professor Nicoladius (sp?) to build powered parachutes. Prof. N. worked at University of Notre Dame and his main skill seemed to be gaining government grants from ARPA and the CIA.
While the first ram-air parachutes were test-jumped during the late 1960s, it took another decade for Snyder, Yarbenet, etc. to make them open reliably.