howardwhite

Olde pictures

I have acquired/borrowed four slide trays. I don't know who took the pictures, or where or when.

So the great "ID these pix" game begins: In the first one, I know Jerry Bird and Al Krueger, but the rest..... Mike Truffer in the yellow shirt?

In the second and third...ahh, I'm honing in here. These appear to be at least in part Wings of Orange people jumping at Pepperell, MA, probably 1974. IDs again sought.

Lots more to come.

HW

in Bird9: Craig Fronk wearing "RW" shirt. Maybe Mike Eakins with his right shoulder cut off on the left of the photo??

looks like Mark Schlatter in the bib overalls.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Here's an autographed picture of the 1974 Wings of Orange posted on flickr by Jon Guignard.
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=266115670&context=set-72157594320596718&size=l

Maybe it will help identification.

I last saw Mike Hurren (second from left, standing) when I jumped out of his King Air near Salt Lake City maybe 10 years ago. Sadly, he later died in a crash of that plane in January, 2001.

HW

I last saw Mike Hurren (second from left, standing) when I jumped out of his King Air near Salt Lake City maybe 10 years ago. Sadly, he later died in a crash of that plane in January, 2001.

HW

I jumped with Mike and Gayle the day before the crash. He was a good friend.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

ok, since you asked....:$
Old1 -- hot stuff RW canopy
Old2 -- A DC3 I don't remember. The N-number comes back to an owner in Ohio, status revoked.
Old3 -- I believe that's Dave Singer in the USFET (Freefall Exhibition Team) t-shirt
Old4 -- Beech exit dirt dive. Check out the cool people with altimeters mounted on their helmets.

A lot of these old slides are covered with mildew (as on the DC3 picture). When I find my bottle of film cleaner I'll rescan them.

Also in the first batch of pictures, the individual I tentatively identified as Mike Truffer has been more positively identified as Sandy Reid.

More to come as time permits.

Also I've now looked at these pix on a Windoze machine. They are darker than when I see them on a Mac. I might get around to lightening them a bit.

HW

Hey Howard, I think the hot rw in slide one might be BT ... Bob Taylor, who jumped with USFET.
I too believe that is Dave (Zinger) Singer in the USFET shirt. This is the lawyer from Seattle I keep telling people they're referring to when they get my name wrong.
That might be an early Captain Hook and the Sky Pirates team in the last photo.

Note, also, that that the DC-3 has landing gear doors on it. There weren't many regular DC-3s built with that option. Most of the R4D Super 3s had them though.
Zing Lurks

Some more:
Handles -- what the front of the well-dressed skydiver might look like in the mid-70s;
AirShow -- unknown jumper in an XX-Rated T-Shirt at an unidentified air show, same vintage;
Inn -- ParaFoil jump into The Inn at Orange, legendary post-jump watering hole at the Orange (MA) Sport Parachute Center;
TF-- Unidentified canopy landing at the Turners Falls, MA, SPC.

HW

That might be an early Captain Hook and the Sky Pirates team in the last photo.

That's definitely Al Kreuger with his big walrus moustache and the altimeter on his helmet. The first guy in the lineup looks like Hank Asciutto, and the last guy might be Mitch Poteet. Also, Al's definitely in your first bunch of pics back at the beginning of the thread, you can see his prosthetic arm and hook clearly in that one. Nowadays he's got a really slick black graphite arm - very Borg looking...

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I'd bet Rick Horn habn't even started jumping back when Jerry Bird still had that much hair.

Well, okay. Rick -looks- that old, but it's probably just from his constant sunbathing. :P

I sent an e-mail with the picture off to Jim Wallace. Let's see what he says...

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I'd guess that the first one is of Karen, Tom, and NickD :P:ph34r:.

That said, I have no idea, other than NickD probably being Nick DiGiovanni (time & place about right)

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)