dear1

Skydive brat here

I am the child of a skydiver, and spent most my childhood watching planes, skydivers, and parachutes being packed. It was the greatest, and something that took me a very long time to understand why no one knew what I was talking about. It wasn't until I ran up to my dad as usual when he landed, at an event, that some kids watching were surprised and awestruck that it was my dad. I thought everyong did it. To me it's the best thing in the world, and eventually my stepmom and siblings as well as myself took out turn.
My dad died at an airshow with his friend in 2006, but I still love the sport. I have very little from those times, I don't have access to photos or video, they are with someone that won't share, but my memories I will always have. I also remember watching the other skidivers and remember them well. I hope to someday see them and go watch people jumping again. I and my family are in Utah, but I am sure that is how many kids feel. It is a thrill to be there, and to see and experience things there. I wish more kids were able to experience it.

I spend a lot of time telling people about skydiving and it's history. I want people to know about it, and also how far it has come, how long it's been around, and that although my dad passed away, it wasn't because it is bad or wrong. I want more people to know the sport, and understand it. Always any new sorce of information or on history is appreciated, I love to learn new things even when I dont share. Thanks!!

My dad's name is Steve Gremler.

My stepmom is a real piece of work. A whole new side showed up when he died. Also, some older family members are still sensitive about thinking about him flying. Someday I hope they feel as I do, but not yet.

Sorry to hear about your father.

When did he pass again?

In one thread you said 2006, in another thread you said 10 years ago and then in another thread you said 11 years ago.

Sorry if I come off as a little skeptical, but just wondering.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

It was June 27, 2006, so as of today it is 10 years. It isn't 11 for a couple weeks. I understand the confussion. I am used to saying 10 years, but for the past couple weeks have been saying almost 11, or sometimes just 11 since it is so close. Until the end of June it is Techniquelly 10. I'm glad if there isn't something making sence that you would ask rather than assume, or whatever else.

It was June 27, 2006, so as of today it is 10 years. It isn't 11 for a couple weeks. I understand the confussion. I am used to saying 10 years, but for the past couple weeks have been saying almost 11, or sometimes just 11 since it is so close. Until the end of June it is Techniquelly 10. I'm glad if there isn't something making sence that you would ask rather than assume, or whatever else.

Hi Dear:

Pls check your math 10 years ago would be 1996. 1 yr ago would be 2006 from 2007. june 27 2007 it will be 11 yr's from 1996.

FWIW in the past we had a thread from a lady that was terminaly ill and wanted to make a tandem befor she died.

She got free offers from TM's all over the US. However she was admitted to a hospital that no one could find & died before she could make her tandem.

She later came back from the dead to post again.:o:S

This might be the reason why your getting so many questions.About your dates and medical condition.

Actually I see I posted 2006 twice, but the same thing below applies to both. It was always 1996 that it happened which is 10 almost 11 years ago. At Chico, I believe Wyoming, but wasn't ever there and just remebering what I always thought. He died when he crashed his plane while landing. The other two in the plane were a married couple that I can't spell their last name, like Cromptin, the wife was paralized, her husband died. They were all skydivers and that is what they were going for.

If you look at the time, I posted in the middle of the night. I apparently wasn't totally awake. It was a slip up, but not because I'm not real. If you do go by the year I have said all along before that post, it is 10 years going on 11. If I had posted like 1988 of something way off, to me I wouldn't believe as much as typing the correct last number, but 2000 was stuck in my head probably cause that's the decade we are in, not earlier, or totally wrong, It was wrong, but not as wrong as it could have been if I was lying and unable to keep my story straight.

I'm not looking for anything here but sharing about a sport I loved but I no longer have people to talk to about it. My friends don't understand, and my family has a hard time with it, I think for obvious reasons.

If I have time I will look up the Magazine and date, but there was an article in a Skydiving magazine about the accident like three months after he died. I can give details about it, and the place and people that would be hard for me to find out otherwise.

I realize some people might play with peoples emotions, but I wouldn't, and it would be so wrong since he was very real, and if I claimed to be related to someone that I wasn't that would be unfair to the family.

I am used to questions cause my life is odd in general from medical to my past. Seeing here that others with disabilities can skydive gave me back an idea of something I thought was lost forever. Otherwise it wouldn't have been talked about as much. I was only able to jump once because of an injury but the rest is for ideas only, I don't need help beyond that. I go past an airport everyday and could go any time if I had a way safely.

I also have just realized maybe it's not as usual for kids to be there, then again I was pretty old before I realized not all dads are pilots, or skydive. I talk sometimes about things not realizing I need to elaborate since I don't know it's not obvious or normal.

Want proof still, I can get whatever, just would need to do a lot of searching and probably go to get it from some places. I can do that if needed, it'd be time consuming but not at all impossible.

I don't mind questions and understand skepticism on the internet anyway, but don't mean to cause undo angst here, and if needed I can just go back to my memories being only my own, they don't have to be shared, just wanted to since there seemed a place where others would understand, I don't want to cause problems for others, that ruins the point.

Hi Dear 1

No sweat, the internet is what it is, and we've read some strange stuff on this site.

You don't have to worry about me I'm not the DZ.com police just trying to give you a heads up:)

The folks with their names in green otoh are the moderators and have all the power.B|

Thanks for the heads up, and I know there are strange people out theere who will do aweful things. If the mods descided something that would be ok, I'm not scared of them, but do want people to understand if possible, or if needed find some info to show, not that hard, just wooould have to look up archives, probly should sometime anyway. Thanks though and I can see the confussion, I can't believe I did it twice, then again I write dates so seldom that I still mess up and write 2006 on other stuff too. I told my friend my mistake, and she wasn't at all surprised but said at least it's an honnest mistake.
I don't usually forget things, but when typing I do, like the year, and punctuation and spelling I just think different that way. Usually if I explain what I meant it makes sence though so always fill free to ask, and I will try not to ramble on as I do. Rather explain and know of a mistake then have others misunderstand. Thanks again.