howardwhite

Jumping the Fairchild

I remember back in the early 80s when I went to Marana Skydiving Center to compete in the collegiate comp, Lyle Cameron, and King Morten were one of the judges there. He and King Morten at the end of the day were in the local bar playing the Cardinal Puff game. I had never, ever seen so much concentration on Lyle and everyone else playing that game. Not even the competors that were skydiving had such concentration and determination!

It was fun to watch.

Pete

Hello Pete,

Lyle was uncompromising and committed when it came to that game. He came up with a version of it he called "Iron Clad Pope". He would bring in an "old" sewer pipe into the Hermosa Beach Rumbleseat and give a Demo of his new game just to pull you in. If he got to you and you were dumb enough to be the one to ask for the demo you were then stuck with going through with it. Lyle was hard and fast on the rules and never gave any slack. That pipe was hell to hold onto and lift without beer in it. With beer in it, most people were s*^t out of luck.

My brother and I traveled all over the country with Lyle. We were never disappointed with any of our trips.

I see Lyle Jr. a few times a year, and should be jumping with him at Taft on May 29th. I’ll pass your story on to him.

Regards,
Dennis

Was that the same Fairchild that flew at Livermore Ca in the mid to late 60's? I jumped there when I was in the Navy (64-68) I remember the tail lifting off the ground as soon as the pilot applied power to that big old radial and if you were on the right side and stayed out there too long you got oil spots on your googles. It was a really cool jump ship!! I remember it as a Fairchild 71 though. Maybe was a different plane.

Always remember, when you get where you're going, there you are!

I met Lyle Jr, at Elsinore in the late 80's. He asked me if I had any pictures, or stuff, memorablia of his father. He wouldn't remember me.

One year at the Minnesota Skydiving Club, Lyle Sr, should up as a guest speaker. Apparently, he got a speeding ticket going through Wisconsin. The cops there require immediate payment for the ticket. He told the cop, "I was only doing terminal." Everyone laughed and had a great old time. That was in the early 80's.

Life seemed to be soooo much fun back then! Never a dull moment.

Pete

Sounds like Lyle. He knew how to talk to the Law. If I am not mistaken, he was a cop in LA in his early years.

I worked out of Ely in Minnesota for a few years in the 60’s. I never got to jump there though. I loved it up there in the woods and on the river systems. Made several 2 and 3 week canoe trips out of that area. Did the Green River in Utah three years ago, which turned into 8 days of 107 degree clear weather. Not a problem if you drink lots fo water all day long. It was a real blast exploring all over those hills. I expected to see a dinosaur around each bend of the river. I’m thinking of planning another Green River trip. This time I want to start above Green river to get a little white water added to the trip. Also, from what I hear the jumping in Utah is real nice too.

Talk to you down the line Pete.

Dennis

It might have been the same Fairchild. You are correct, it was a 71. The Stenson was another plane all together, but they both were about the same age. When I jumped out of either, all I could think of was that I should have a leather helmet on.

Dennis

Yep, I canoed up the Knife lakes and into Canada, from Ely, when I was just a little shaver.

God's country. Back then, you would drink right out of the lake. No problems with parasites, or diareha, etc. Later, we would start at the end of the Gun Flint Trail, and canoe into Canada.

Utah, too, is a beautiful state to explore, on the ground, the rivers and in the air!

Blue Skies!

Pete