garuda

Number of Skydiving SCUBAdivers

How many people are there that are certified in both Skydiving AND SCUBAdiving, in the USA and world?

I don't think there is any way to find out other than having USPA send a poll to all members.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I have all of my USPA ratings and dived my entire military career (SF combat dive supervisor, PADI adv open water, PADI dive master). I haven't blown bubbles in four years though. To me diving is very, very different than skydiving. An entirely different dynamic.

Chuck

Roger that, Chuck. My wife would rather SCUBA than anything (she has one tandem, and that will last her for life), and I would rather skydive. Although I enjoy scubadiving a great deal when I am doing it, I don't crave it like I do the sky. I am Padi open water certified, so I guess I am one of the 3000.

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

Yep, that's me -- I got my rating via US Army Special Forces Underwater Operations School back in 1978. I enjoy diving in Cozumel and Cancun. So does my wife. She made one (and probably only one) tandem and loves to scuba. While I enjoy scuba, I'd much rather skydive.

steveOrino

Both here too.

Advanced open water, been diving (scuba) longer than jumping but still actively do both.

Two completely different worlds (and elements :P )

SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

SSI OW, but i'm about 10 years uncurrent for scuba..

military static line training but all skydives have been commercial.

Other than the complete dependence on gear and training for survival, i dont see the sports as similar at all.

SSI OW, but i'm about 10 years uncurrent for scuba..

military static line training but all skydives have been commercial.

Other than the complete dependence on gear and training for survival, i dont see the sports as similar at all.

Something about an "out of air situation!"

Down there, an out of air situation can be survived, up there, probably not!
Dano

I thought a lot of the training for the two were the same, as I saw a lot of similarity when I took my PADI OW course at the same time I was a FJC instructor.

the gear check is the same idea as well.

but everything else is different. both are fun, i'd hate to have to choose

MB 3528, RB 1182

My wife and I got our open water PADI cert last year in the Dominican Republic. She too has one tandem skydive, but it wasn't something she got turned onto. Bummer.

We recently went down to Marathon Key and looked up a guy by the name of Capt Sam. Good guy. We told him that we just got certified, had no gear and wanted to get into the ocean. He showed us 4 reefs on the Atlantic side. Fun.

I couldn't resist but talk about skydiving at Marathon Key. Scuba is fun, but its not skydiving!

Pete

PS: I do believe scuba and skydiving is not a good mix however. Too extreme in atmospheric pressures.