Guru312

Trivia question for the olde farts...

A very good, very old, jumper buddy of mine who is terrified of computers called last night to ask another favor of me. He's an AFF I and DZSO and wishes to remain nameless so people won't pick on him for his computer ignorance.

Anyway...he called to ask if I would ask here in this forum about one of his favorite quotes which he's having difficulty remembering exactly as well as remembering the person who said it.

Here is what he dictated to me last night:

"To have some one seriously injured or killed because of some new or insecure circumstance is a tragedy; to have it happen twice is unforgivable."

The question he asks is who said it or wrote it. Any information you older jumpers may have would be appreciated. He thinks it is from the early 1970s and he thinks Dan Poynter or Ted Strong made the statement after the second occurrence of some fatality.

Any ideas?

THANKS from a computer illiterate.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

From Parachutist Sept 1974, pg 22
1973 Fatality Study
By Allen C. Webb and Jerry Schrimsher

Dan Poynter was quoted in the 1971 study as saying, "It is tragic to become a statistic because of some new set of circumstances, but it is unforgivable if it has occured before."

From Parachutist Dec 1972, pg 14
1971 Fatality Study
By Mike Linz

In the words of Mr. Poynter, "It is tragic to become a statistic because of some new set of circumstances, but it is unforgivable if it has occured before."

QED.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

From Parachutist Dec 1972, pg 14
1971 Fatality Study
By Mike Linz

In the words of Mr. Poynter, "It is tragic to become a statistic because of some new set of circumstances, but it is unforgivable if it has occured before."

QED.

QED indeed!!! Thank you so very much.

Amazing what this internet thing can do. Two hours and 40 minutes from the time I asked the question to the answer to both parts: speaker and the full quotation. Very cool.

Thanks to you too, Jerry!
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

Thanks to you and to you, Howard!

You talking about me? I hadn't even gotten around to sending Poynter an email yet.:)
HW

Howard, please understand...getting old sucks. You have answered so many of my questions over time that I looked at Jerry's name and typed yours!

You're so quick you beat the editing!

Thanks, tho....
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper