howardwhite

PC over Antioch

Much too quiet here -- time to drag out some more old stuff.

This is from the front cover of the 1972 Parachutes Incorporated catalog; it is labeled only "Competition P.C. over Antioch, California."

I've been in Antioch (not at a DZ there) but find the pictured landscape odd. Maybe someone will remember what it was like. As PI never had a northern California presence, I don't why it chose this picture (aside from the fact that it's striking and shows one of their products.)

(The blue sky is kind of mottled because the cover is scuffed up; some day if I'm really bored, maybe I'll clean it up in Photoshop.)

HW

He's definitely TFTM from the old pea pit. From here it looks like he's half way up the Sugarloaf, the hill to the north of the landing area. Matterhorn was to the west, now has a water tank on it. The spot where he's landing looks close to where Karl the Czech bounced.

madjohn

I've been in Antioch (not at a DZ there) but find the pictured landscape odd. Maybe someone will remember what it was like.
HW

I certainly remember those rolling hills. In 1976 I followed Larry (from memory, sir name started with a K) and his reserve down, thinking he'd be injured landing amongst those rolling hills in the high winds under a 24' flat reserve. I was under a long lined reefed Strato Star.

That was the early days of squares and we didn't really know what a gust induced stall was. I guess the high winds as well as the waves coming off the rolling hills set me up to learn. Strato Star shut down at 50 or 60 feet. It put me into the Contra Costa County hospital with a busted femur, shoulder, and lost teeth. All very inconvenient, as I was there on vacation from Papua New Guinea.

Ten days at C/Costa Hospital, then was flown to Australia for 4 months in traction, then back to PNG for rehab. Some days we should stay in bed.

Oh, and Larry? An uneventful landing under the 24' flat.
B|

That indeed looks like the Antioch landing area but far from the peas. How do I know? Because I usually landed far from the peas, despite my best efforts with a C9 cheapo back in the 70s when Perry Stevens was running the DZ at Antioch. I also learned how to fly ultralights there and always avoided those hills on the other side of the road from the airport. Does anyone remember that totally derelict Lockheed Lodestar that was sitting there for years? I heard it flew out on a ferry permit which is almost unbelievable.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Howard--If you look at the abandoned air fields in Ma., the photos of Norfolk still show the remains of the old pea gravel target on the west side of the runway. Geroge Anderson ran a DZ, at this field, in the late 60's and early 70's.
Don Stewart D-2785

No need to tell me about Norfolk -- I made a lot of jumps there.

For a picture of the wonderful plane (held together with tape and putty), go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/87538314@N00/192214820/in/pool-parachuting1960s/

There was a blob of putty just above the instrument panel. Loose parts (screws, nuts, etc.) found on the floor were stuck there until places could be found where they fell from.

This very airplane is now hanging in the Seattle Air Museum.B|

HW

This is a total thread hijack, but I need to point out that Jerry has been lurking for 6 years; this is his first post.

You owe beer, my love. ;)

(I think that if Howard is going to be at the Plum Island Boogie, you should buy it then, so he can have some. Howard, you gonna be there?)

May the (relative) wind take your troubles away...

This is a total thread hijack, but I need to point out that Jerry has been lurking for 6 years; this is his first post.

Should I be flattered that it's in reply to my post, or is it just that mine was the only name he recognized here?

(I think that if Howard is going to be at the Plum Island Boogie, you should buy it then, so he can have some. Howard, you gonna be there?)

Well, I could be, but Jerry (and you) should also be at Jumptown for the CASA boogie July 4-8. You might even get to jump with me.:P

HW

I think you made a jump or two out of this plane. It got twisted up at Duanesburg a long time ago.

Yup. Here's one by me (bad scan). I think that's Checo in the white jumpsuit. No idea when or where -- somewhere in MA.

Somewhere I also have a picture of it in the snow and ice at Duanesburg.

HW

Who remembers the name of the then infamous drinking game where you guys would have to drink, turn the glass upside down & say a goofy riddle? Who used to meet at the pizza place on the corner of RR Ave. & the highway in Pittsburg after a weekend jump?
Who remembers the plane used for all of the big group jumps? Fingers were always crossed it would make it over the hill at the end of the runway... It didn't always make it into the air and it occasionally bumped into the hill. The most serious plane crash was when it was overloaded for a high altitude formation that took the plane out of commission.

the Beech, yep that was a good thing with only a minor injury to the folks on board; well I see you don't recognize the pic, & like you, who's that in the mirror? :) I've been checking out some of the old pix & so many faces are familiar; the names escape me & I wasn't the one drinking. Thanks to sonofapope the drinking game I used to watch in amusement until I had to clean up some mess was Cardinal Puff. The picture used to be the centerpiece for all of the beer tabs (back when they pulled off).