out of the inevitability of the tide of events, that I
made up the 4-way event was to break free from
the rigid format of speed stars.

Everybody was wanting to grab hold and hang on,
and I was on this crusade to turn the world on to
hovering and flying around.

It didn't work, all it did was create another form
of rigidity.

I didn't know much about human nature back then.

I can appreciate that what Airspeed does is somewhere
beyond amazing, and I thought at the time that Roy
Johnson turning a 6 second series was amazing, but
I was never drawn to that kind of goal oriented stuff.

So feel free, I just had a momentary reaction there.

Skr

... I am looking through my vast archives to find more stuff about Chuck Alexander, an engineer for Pioneer, who jumped out of one plane and deployed. His canopy bridle was then snagged by a hook from another plane and he was winched back into it.

I have now found a story in Sky Diver about the Chuck Alexander aerial recovery jump. I have momentarily misplaced my notes on when and where it took place -- in New Jersey in 1966, I think.
Most of the attached are scans; the last two are photographs of pictures.
The aircraft is a C-122, according to the story. One picture shows a pickup from a line strung between poles on the ground. Notice the "fences" apparently intended to keep the gear from snagging the pickup line.

HW

skratch...

But anyway... I am looking through my vast archives to find more stuff about Chuck Alexander, an engineer for Pioneer, who jumped out of one plane and deployed. His canopy bridle was then snagged by a hook from another plane and he was winched back into it. Don't know what year -- mid-sixties sometime -- though I did know him slightly. It was not a stunt, but done for a military contract, as I recall.

HW

Howard, i was at a little get together at Woody Woodhouse's in Lemon Grove (CA) in 72 0r 73 and Chuck was there with the film of his air pick-up. He, Woody or Stretch Harris may have a copy of the film. Oh, Tiny Broadwick was also there.

Hi

One of many available on Video of the Fulton recovery system

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPUPOTczy7I&feature=related

Youtube is your friend:)

I'm so old ;)I didn't even know what youtube was until
DZ.com and someone asked if people were posting their pics on you tube.

Trust me;)I was serious when I responded no way was I going to post a pic of my tube on the internet.:$

Someone responded "I don't know who you are dude but that was funny.

I was serious:)
R.

11/11/11 happy veterens day:)
One Jump Wonder

Well, at least I have heard of utube, but I have never seen it. We have dial-up with no expectations of hi-speed in the future. No cable TV, no cell phones, but most of all few people. LOL

By the way, I am no expert, all my jumps are "back in the day", but I have a pretty good memory, and may be able to access those stored brain cells now and then.

Thanks for the Veteran's Day wishes, and I pass them on to all other vets.

My first introduction to Skydiving was a demo by a Russian team in New Zealand in 1975 or 76. One of the demo's was a jumper towed behind the airplane. I remember the plane coming down low over the runway with the towed jumper perhaps less that 100 feet off the deck. Then they climbed to altitude and he cutaway from the tow rope. Dont remember much else from the demo, but I started jumping the following year.
...Paul

It was 1975 and I was there.
The aircraft was Johnny Plank's 185 (CGH?) and the pilot was Dave Ashworth (RIP) The altitude was about 80 feet and it took Dave 30+ minutes to climb back to 2,500 feet due to the excess drag.
The New Zealand version of the FAA tried to prosecute Dave for towing an illegal drogue.

This was the first time that the Russian UT15 was seen in New Zealand.

As an aside, for their first jump we sent a native spotter up in the aircraft with them. (Ross Jameson from memory) The Russian jumpers were told " when this guy says go, you go" Ross turned to the Russians and said "Remember when I say go" and out they went! These Russian Nationals landed outside New Zealand's most secret Airforce Base by themselves. I also remember these rather large Russians with them that all wore suits and got rather agitated at the sight of their countrymen landing off. I assumed then that they were KGB.

We had some training, for a message pickup. If you had no radio or other means of communication, you could put a message in a tin can. You'd tie some cord on it, and rig it between two poles. A Cessna would fly over with a big hook, and snag the line. It was then pulled into the plane. I saw that done. It worked slick.

We had a little training in rigging up a system to recover a downed pilot or other high priority person.

The rumor was that an officer was reeled into a C-130 several times. He loved doing this. Then one day he came unhooked and was killed. I heard that people started wearing reserve chutes after that, for this. Maybe all this is all rumor. You heard a lot of stories....