tbrown

Johnny Carson & Bob Sinclair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4UeK4oKQCg

URL button place link, click URL button again.... you get clicky link! (yea those buttons just below your posting window that say code, reply, quote, b, U, i, email, & URL;)

...or just highlite the URL by scratching through it with the mouse cursor and then hit the URL button once. ...works for the other buttons, too.

I met Bob Sinclair at a reunion in Tampa in 2001, and I asked him about the Carson jump. I was fascinated because this guy practically invented AFF, and I figured Carson had to have a lot of faith to do what took most of us in that era a lot of jumps, not to mention the dope rope, to get to 12,500. Sinclair concluded the discussion by telling me it was the only jump he was still getting paid for -- referring to the residual check from The Tonight Show, which ran several times on repeats.
SCR-442, SCS-202, CCR-870, SOS-1353

I hope Bob is doing well. I remember seeing him on a load or two at Lost Prairie, years earlier. You don't meet many people tough enough to jump without goggles.

A year or two later we were standing next to a Bon Fire in Arizona. This grizzled looking, old guy walked up. I asked him how he was doing. He said, "I'm doing whatever I want."

When I asked him his name he said, "Bob Sinclair."

Stupid me....I said, "I think I've heard of you."

Later he gave us a tour of his bus. Everything was in perfect order. He dug out some old scrap books, news articles, and pictures. He also told us several stories. I think he enjoyed that almost as much as we did.

What a guy!

I sure hope Bob is doing okay. You don't meet people like that every day....

Hello Steve,

I hear that Bobby is living in FL.
I remember Bobby at the Nationals in AZ saying he had to fly back to Elsinore to do a buddy jump with some guy named Carson. We had no idea it was Johnny Carson until about a week later.

Later that year I worked at Taft for Bobby as a Jump Master. Being that I was over 235 lbs I had Bobby install mini wings so I could fly with the smaller people. I still jump that suite today.

If you ever get a chance to talk to Bobby again, ask him about running a convertible under the belly of a gas tanker while driving over the grapevine. It took the windshield off the car and put a lot of glass onto the top of his head. All in all nobody got hurt. Two hours later, everyone was kicking back at Terry Ward's house on the beach in Malibu.

Yes it was George Speakman holding on to one side, I think Milt Platt was in there to but memory has faded much.

Johnny absolutely loved the experience, we were all invited to come to the show, Me and George, Carol DeVore, Jim Hall were all shown in the audience. (think it was Jim who was married to Carol at the time, but wasn't supposed to be)

Bunny Speakman