Beerlight

Tommy Kinder passes

Tommy Kinder passed away 3 weeks ago down in San Antonio after fighting ALS as long as he could.

A long time jumper in San Antonio and a former W. TN skydiver. Tommy always had a kind word, a good joke after a day of jumping, and told some great stories...

blue skies my friend TK

Buck Buchanan

Tommy Kinder passed away 3 weeks ago down in San Antonio after fighting ALS as long as he could.

A long time jumper in San Antonio and a former W. TN skydiver. Tommy always had a kind word, a good joke after a day of jumping, and told some great stories...

blue skies my friend TK

Buck Buchanan

Oh, no.

Tommy was one of the good guys.

Some of my favorite jumps were with Tommy, to include pure fun two-ways.

Blue skies and gentle breezes brother,

Winsor

Was Tommy jumping at West Tennessee in the late 90's when I showed up on a regular basis? Is there a picture of him around?

Yeah, you knew him; you, I and he were on quite a few jumps together - not to mention all the time we spent together on the ground.

I will see if I can find some of my pictures of people at the DZ where he is clearly identifiable. You will recognize him immediately.

BSBD,

Winsor

Was Tommy jumping at West Tennessee in the late 90's when I showed up on a regular basis? Is there a picture of him around?

Yeah, you knew him; you, I and he were on quite a few jumps together - not to mention all the time we spent together on the ground.

I will see if I can find some of my pictures of people at the DZ where he is clearly identifiable. You will recognize him immediately.

BSBD,

Winsor

Thanks Winsor... Sorry to hear about Tommy. I'm sure I will recognize him when I see a pic.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Anybody ever find any pictures of Tommy?

I have searched everywhere for a photo of Tommy. I know I have one, but I'm sure it's in a box somewhere. I have yet to unpack everything since we sold the DZ.

Tommy was a hoot;) One of the kindest people I have ever had the pleasure to meet.

Peace My Friend.............

Anybody ever find any pictures of Tommy?

I have searched everywhere for a photo of Tommy. I know I have one, but I'm sure it's in a box somewhere. I have yet to unpack everything since we sold the DZ.

Tommy was a hoot;) One of the kindest people I have ever had the pleasure to meet.

Peace My Friend.............

I didn't find anything at home, but managed to to get this from MySA.com

THOMAS GILBERT KINDER 1950-2007 Thomas Gilbert Kinder, age 56, died Wednesday, January 10, following a six-month battle with an aggressive form of ALS. He was born to Ruth and Gilbert Kinder on July 3, 1950, in San Antonio and graduated from Alamo Heights High School in 1968. He attended the University of Texas, and spent most of his life in San Antonio. Tommy's lifelong passions were skydiving, flying his ultralight airplane from the family ranch in Bulverde, skiing, videography and still photography. Over the years, Tommy accumulated more than 5,000 skydiving jumps and plunged out of airplanes all across the country. He filmed many of those jumps via a 'helmet-cam'' and also took great pride in the aerial footage he shot from his ultralight. His parents preceded him in death. His sister, Dina Kinder Cole, and brother, Buddy Kinder, and their spouses, Norborne Page Cole and Kathy Kinder, survive him. Additionally, he is survived by his nieces and nephews-Ruth and David Storrie, Singapore; Tad Hathaway, Chicago; Crede Kinder, Singapore; Hilary Kinder, Page and Brooke Cole, all of Austin, and Kacy Cole, Seattle, Washington. Tommy spent his last months at his favorite place on earth -- his home on his family's ranch north of San Antonio -- with his devoted caregivers - Angela Rojas and Reymundo Armentes and with the companionship of his four beloved dogs. As an avid and compassionate lover of animals, Tommy never met a dog he didn't like. The family wishes to express their gratitude to Angela Rios and Reymundo Armentes, to the staff and caregivers of Christus Santa Rosa Hospice and the ALS Foundation, South Texas Chapter, and to Tommy's physician, Dr. Charleyne Jackson. A memorial service celebrating Tommy's life will be held at 1:30 p.m. Saturday, January 13, at St. Anthony de Padua Catholic Church, with Monsignor Dermot N. Brosnan officiating. In lieu of flowers, the family suggests donations be made to the San Antonio Humane Society, the ALS Foundation, South Texas Chapter, or the charity of ones choice.

I have known Tommy since the 60's and worked with him at various places including West Tennessee Skydiving. Tommy was my best friend. He was one of the best AFF instructors and video/photo guys around. The really disappointing thing about his funeral was that Charles Waters (pilot/jumper) and myself were the only two skydiving related persons to attend his funeral. I know Tommy had many more friends out there. Through the years, Tommy and I kind of followed each other around the skydiving community. You would probably recognize my moniker of Wolfman (coined by Mike Mullins). Tommy and I spent several years with West Tennessee Skydiving including when it was located near West Memphis AR. The Helio Stallion and King Air were/are outstanding lifts.
Goodbye my friend.

Yes! I remember you Wolfman! Man the good old days... I need to get back to WTS sometime.

Good to hear from you again old friend.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ_ZPIFwCAU

This is one of Tommy's last videos. Called Taking Flight. Please crank up the sound and sit back and watch in memory of Tommy.

Robert "Wolfman" Collins

Thanks Wolfman, that was great to watch. I remember when Tommy flew into the DZ. The smile on his face was bigger than life. He so enjoyed it. He will truly be missed by those of us who knew him.

Below is an e-mail I received today from Dave White about Tommy. pm me for directions/details if you can make it...

Buck

--------------------------------------------------------
Howdy Friends........I hope all is well for each and everyone of you!
Tommy Kinders Family would like to have a BBQ at the Drop Zone for all of his friends. We were going to plan to scatter his ashes on a skydive (aerial Burial). Tommys' Family would like to have all Tommys' friends there to celebrate a great person and his life.
The planned day (rain or shine) is August 26th. I hope to see all of you there!
There are many folks I didn't have addresses for. If You know someone who was missed please forward the invitation.
Adios Dave

Tommy's ash dive is planned for this coming Sunday, 26 Aug 07 at SD San Marcos.

We wanted to have it at the old DZ in San Antonio but due to logistics, couldn't happen.

So, if you wish to come on out and celebrate TK, by all means show up and toast one to my friend!!!!

Buck